Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Better than a 152 from what wikipedia says... not that a 152 is not-poo poo.

Yeah, but the complexity of a twin is literally what you're being trained to handle, so... I can kind of see its utility as a training aircraft since it sips fuel. Arguably it would be useful to have training in a faster aircraft as well, but it might as well be done in a fast single that uses less fuel.

I'd rather be in a 152 or piper 150 than an eaglet.

I see your point on the twin. I think a DA42 is a better choice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds kinda like the 172rg - a dumb aircraft except for the training check boxes it ticked.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jealous Cow posted:

I see your point on the twin. I think a DA42 is a better choice though.

Do they have an engine option that runs on AVGAS at this point? I agree it's a better aircraft, but if you don't have Jet-A on site and you do have a giant fuckoff tank of AVGAS you're already using for the rest of your fleet, that's a logistical issue.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
So what do you say when the captain complains about the rear end in a top hat controller who "slam dunked us" so bad he had to lose 300 feet in 3 miles to the FAF (on a visual) and because we have to do a descending turn he "has to hand fly it in" like friggin Neill Armstrong over the boulder field?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing, because that dude sounds like an rear end in a top hat?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"Quit bitching", since he's just being a dick.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 9, 2017

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Not expecting to have much joy with this one, but...
Any of you know or heard much about CargoLogicAir? Not on the pilot side; I'm expecting an interview in the next few days though.

I know they're pretty small - their third aircraft is due soonish - so I suspect I'm outta luck, but hey, worth an ask.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

2/3 isn't bad. What loving things does Florida have to do? You have to drive or Uber to buy a bottle of water or a pack of smokes, much less do anything actually stimulating. As far as I can tell, there's nothing to do except drink yourself into a stupor on a regular basis, and frankly I can do that in more interesting, less expensive places than Florida.

If I owned Hell and Florida, I'd live in Hell and rent Florida.

EDIT: To keep it on topic: there sure were a lot of banner-towing planes. What's that like as a job? I have to imagine: extremely boring and yet requiring a great deal of concentration, as you fly in loops for hours in slow flight.

I was heavily discouraged (in Florida, no less) from ever considering a banner towing job. The guy, who had done some career flying before going into something completely different, said it's asking to get killed.

The thing I've always wondered about is when the decision is made to haul rear end* back home when the inevitable 2pm summer thunderstorms fire up out of nowhere. I've seen some dudes trying to get one more lap in with Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia about 3 miles West and closing.

*rear end hauling rates may vary.

PT6A posted:

Better than a 152 from what wikipedia says... not that a 152 is not-poo poo.

Hey, now, the Flying Kite is a nice little airplane. :argh:

Oh man, 500FPM climb in July! WE'RE FLYING NOW! :whatup:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A coworker of mine used to tow banners. It's an even more itinerant lifestyle than the airlines, and is some of the most dangerous flying out there that isn't fire-fighting or crop-dusting.

He's crashed three super cubs. Two ground loops in waaaaaay more than demonstrated crosswind conditions and the last one was a maintenance failure that almost killed him; He never flew a banner plane again.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vessbot posted:

So what do you say when the captain complains about the rear end in a top hat controller who "slam dunked us" so bad he had to lose 300 feet in 3 miles to the FAF (on a visual) and because we have to do a descending turn he "has to hand fly it in" like friggin Neill Armstrong over the boulder field?

are you asian? nothing, because he's the loving captain. respect.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Legit question in a way , I'm only with an airline 6 months but man is there a lot of bitching going on. It's not that easy of a job, you have to be on your game going in to fly but it's not the worst job in the world. Lots of captains that I fly with are pretty negative. I've done my time working poo poo jobs, construction and retail. Like really poo poo, worked a job making bridge beams where I saw 3 people hospitalised in the first 6 months. Then I get to an airline and I'm being paid pretty well and the hours are manageable but I hear an incredible amount of bitching about hours and pay. I'm in Europe so maybe it's different in the states but if your willing to do the study then this isn't a bad job at all.
Same as this thread that I lurk in mostly, a lot of negative experiences being aired.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Look man, cockpits from the lowliest freight dog to the 400k/year earning works 5 days a month legacy driver are going to have bitching in them. Its the way of the world. If a pilot isn't complaining, he's dead. I'm serious.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Legit question in a way , I'm only with an airline 6 months but man is there a lot of bitching going on. It's not that easy of a job, you have to be on your game going in to fly but it's not the worst job in the world. Lots of captains that I fly with are pretty negative. I've done my time working poo poo jobs, construction and retail. Like really poo poo, worked a job making bridge beams where I saw 3 people hospitalised in the first 6 months. Then I get to an airline and I'm being paid pretty well and the hours are manageable but I hear an incredible amount of bitching about hours and pay. I'm in Europe so maybe it's different in the states but if your willing to do the study then this isn't a bad job at all.
Same as this thread that I lurk in mostly, a lot of negative experiences being aired.

Envoy?

Anyway life is all about perspective. A lot of pilots really lack perspective and have a large sense of entitlement. I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of pilots coming from wealthier families and never really having to work for a living. I'm with you, I've worked a 4-4 shift in a steel mill, and I know what hard lovely work really is, most pilots don't.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Envoy?

Anyway life is all about perspective. A lot of pilots really lack perspective and have a large sense of entitlement. I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of pilots coming from wealthier families and never really having to work for a living. I'm with you, I've worked a 4-4 shift in a steel mill, and I know what hard lovely work really is, most pilots don't.

I came dangerously close to falling into that trap back when I first started flying professionally. I've worked crummy jobs before but at the time I was starting to go up my own rear end a bit. Until, that is, I taxied past a bunch of guys digging a trench in a blowing snow storm in Cleveland. To this day whenever I feel like my job sucks I think back to those guys digging that hole in single digit temperatures. Works every time.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I soloed this morning. Huzzah!

3 touch and go's, 1 landing with simulated engine out, then the instructor hops out and I do 3 full stop landings and get my shirt tail cut off.

Pretty dang cool man, pretty dang cool. I didn't consider the extra power and climb that I'd have once we lightened the weight by half, but man did it make a difference!

For those of you who haven't made it to this point, don't stress about this flight at all. They wouldn't send you up if you weren't ready to do work, and it's a great feeling once you get that endorsement!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Congrats! Just wait until your first solo XC.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it! I've got the plane for 4 hours a day until I finish my training, so it's right around the corner!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

rldmoto posted:

I soloed this morning. Huzzah!

3 touch and go's, 1 landing with simulated engine out, then the instructor hops out and I do 3 full stop landings and get my shirt tail cut off.

Pretty dang cool man, pretty dang cool. I didn't consider the extra power and climb that I'd have once we lightened the weight by half, but man did it make a difference!

For those of you who haven't made it to this point, don't stress about this flight at all. They wouldn't send you up if you weren't ready to do work, and it's a great feeling once you get that endorsement!

Congrats! They didn't cut my shirt for my first solo.

I did my first night flight this week, got a good 10 landings out of it. I REALLY like flying at night. It's so calm and quiet and all the bright stars up around you. I didn't have any trouble spotting the airports or ground features. My friend who got his license just a month or so ago HATES night flying and told me how terrible it would be.

First cross country coming up next week. 22-ish hours in, just around half way done!

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Envoy?

Nah, planes I fly look like flying tampons. Draw your own conclusions.
Maybe that's it, lots of lads that went from various airforces to the airlines, or they qualified at age 21 and literally have never worked another job. I don't mean to sound too much like I walked uphill both ways to school. I'm not that old, nor was it ever that harsh. But from listening to some, not all of my colleagues you would think they're slave driving us. It's not the case, you get into this job with your eyes open. My girlfriend is a doctor and is rostered for 108 hours next week, it annoys me to hear lads complaining about having to overnight once or twice a month.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

A lot of pilots really lack perspective

This is true about other areas a well. I recently went through a regional initial, and heard an ongoing bashing of the plane we fly as an antiquated piece of poo poo that shouldn't even be in airliner service anymore... A plane with AHRS/IRU, FMS, EFIS (even the standby gyro is glass) electronic engine control (FADEC in some versions), EICAS, digital autopilot with flight director...

All because the VNAV is advisory only and there are no autothrottles, and a few more sundry gripes.

Hearing this over and over again as someone most of whose time is in pre-1945 airplanes, my mouth spent a lot of the time doing that Bryan Cranston open-mouth bemused frown.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Nah, planes I fly look like flying tampons.

Of the Texas variety?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

vessbot posted:

Of the Texas variety?

Of the Scandinavian variety.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've never flown an airplane with an airspeed indicator in knots.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

vessbot posted:

This is true about other areas a well. I recently went through a regional initial, and heard an ongoing bashing of the plane we fly as an antiquated piece of poo poo that shouldn't even be in airliner service anymore... A plane with AHRS/IRU, FMS, EFIS (even the standby gyro is glass) electronic engine control (FADEC in some versions), EICAS, digital autopilot with flight director...

All because the VNAV is advisory only and there are no autothrottles, and a few more sundry gripes.

Hearing this over and over again as someone most of whose time is in pre-1945 airplanes, my mouth spent a lot of the time doing that Bryan Cranston open-mouth bemused frown.

And this is the type of mindset that leads to dangerous scenarios where people end up buying the farm because the airplane didn't tell them what to do and they never learned to think for themselves. That's why I still love VFR. Go up there on a nice day and cover ALL YOUR GAUGES. Guess what? The airplane still flies. I only fly small single-engine aircraft but from all my research and observation, I'm guessing that even with a FBW system and every gauge failing, you could make a "controlled" landing if you really knew your poo poo. Or, at least with only the back up EFIS. (Inform me if I'm wrong on this one heavy-iron people.) I know there's a little more to it than that but I'm guessing it's possible. Look at the loving DHL incident from Baghdad in 2003 or Cactus 1549. These people knew how to fly --anything. Yet, two idiots managed to kill 51 people when they ignored the stick shaker going off and decided to pull back on the yoke in a stall. Same thing happened to AFR447 :sigh:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Of the Scandinavian variety.

Do your paychecks go to a PO box in Thailand?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

I don't know about where the idea that it's full of Asian crew is from. Literally everyone I've worked with both flight deck and cabin has been from Europe.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I don't know about where the idea that it's full of Asian crew is from. Literally everyone I've worked with both flight deck and cabin has been from Europe.

Oh so you work for THOSE guys...this is going to be interesting :allears:

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Oh so you work for THOSE guys...this is going to be interesting :allears:

Lol, so what is the opinion of them in the states?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Lol, so what is the opinion of them in the states?

Nobody's heard of them, for the most part. The folks I know in the Bay area are in love with the OAK-ARN route, though.

I had a really poo poo flight from Las Vegas, but it was a direct flight home so still good.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

I'm short-haul, so I have really no contact with the longhaul guys. It's a completely separate part of the company.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I'm short-haul, so I have really no contact with the longhaul guys. It's a completely separate part of the company.

You ever jump across the pond and operate the Baltimore to Caribbean routes?

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008
I got my PPL about a year ago and am thinking about getting my instrument rating sometime in the near future. Primarily I just want to learn how to be a safer pilot and understand how the whole IFR system works. Im starting to do some research on what it takes and im finding 9,000 different online ground school courses/video series/books/"Get your IFR rating in X day" programs and im not really sure which route to take. The flight club I belong to has a few CFIIs that i'll probably end up working with but if anyone has any advice on getting an IFR rating that would be helpful.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Thaumaturgic posted:

I got my PPL about a year ago and am thinking about getting my instrument rating sometime in the near future. Primarily I just want to learn how to be a safer pilot and understand how the whole IFR system works. Im starting to do some research on what it takes and im finding 9,000 different online ground school courses/video series/books/"Get your IFR rating in X day" programs and im not really sure which route to take. The flight club I belong to has a few CFIIs that i'll probably end up working with but if anyone has any advice on getting an IFR rating that would be helpful.

I'm in the middle of it and used the official FAA books and the sportys app to get up to speed. I'd also ask your CFI what they prefer and what kind of syllabus they're going to run you through.

Edit: And the Apollo burn! Going back to lurking...

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I never thought about using my Future Farmers of America book for airplane learning!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Watching an 800ft <100kt 1200 code get bounced by an F-22 isn't fun for anyone involved.

Read your NOTAMS, guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Watching an 800ft <100kt 1200 code get bounced by an F-22 isn't fun for anyone involved.

Read your NOTAMS, guys.

Lemme guess... TFR around Mar-a-Lago?

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

You ever jump across the pond and operate the Baltimore to Caribbean routes?

No, no interest in doing it long term either, too far from home. If they offered me a month or two doing it I might think about it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Hey now, complaining is our stress outlet. If we didn't complain we'd eventually snap and show up for work out of uniform and then go on an incoherent rant over the PA.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Read your NOTAMS, guys.

[/inhofe]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Read your NOTAMS, guys.

It's probably fun for the F-22 pilot.

• Locked thread