Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like when Anasui sees Jolyne and Weather hugging and he just turns to FF and is like "Uhhhh buwhhh...what the gently caress are they doing, go make them stop that???"

Anasui is good im glad he's around to get owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

That's why Joshuu is great too, he's twice the fuckboi Annasui ever was, and gets poo poo on five times as hard for it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Newcomer to the series here, and I just started Part 8... I'm sad I know that I'm coming up on the most recent releases and I'll have to wait for more soon :(
Parts 4 and 7 are my favorite, I think. I thought the ending to Part 6 was great though; I'm glad Araki had the guts to go through and stick with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

That's why Joshuu is great too, he's twice the fuckboi Annasui ever was, and gets poo poo on five times as hard for it.

Joshu's actually pretty active in his objectives and tries to take what he wants. He's also incredibly perverted and a poo poo, but doesn't take poo poo either.

Jobin's the JoJolion fuccboi, it's not really a contest either.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

[sucks in air through my teeth a little bit] ehhhhhhh it doesn't really feel the same to me

Joshuu really does not get poo poo on as much I feel for really all the poo poo he does. Like yeah he falls down a drain and no one other than Hato really likes to talk to him, but that's kinda it. Everyone still really puts up with him pretty well. For Anasui, no one takes his poo poo and even when Weather, the person who knew him the longest, gets his memories back, he also just takes the piss out of him, insulting him in front of girls while Anasui just stands there confused as hell as a guy arguably ruder than him electrocutes girls into giving him a back massage. Meanwhile a strange woman walks into his house and Joshuu takes her clothes off and yells about wanting to suck her nipples and no one out of like six people say anything.

It's weird too cause I would also argue that Joshuu is more....weirdy horny about his love where Anasui isn't. Like yes, Anasui went to jail for completely dissecting his girlfriend and the guy she had cheated on him with, but in terms of his interactions with Jolyne. Like he just wants to hug her when she can and gets jealous. He goes to Jotaro and asks to marry her rather than try to literally get his dick out when he feels he might have a chance to get it wet like Joshuu does.

We've had arguments about Joshuu in this thread so I don't expect to go anywhere, but for some reason, I cannot stand anytime Joshuu shows up, but I can laugh at Anasui and go "Aw, you knucklehead" whenever he's being an idiot. I couldn't say why I find the admitted murderer with issues more tolerable than a lovely 20 year old college student but I do.

also if someone told me they found Anasui hot, I wouldn't agree but hey I like his long pink hair and mesh tank, where if you're attracted to Joshuu, well sorry to yuk your yum, but I think you're from another world.

and yeah i like jobin a lot but yeah. lil bit of a fuckboy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

We've had arguments about Joshuu in this thread so I don't expect to go anywhere, but for some reason, I cannot stand anytime Joshuu shows up, but I can laugh at Anasui and go "Aw, you knucklehead" whenever he's being an idiot. I couldn't say why I find the admitted murderer with issues more tolerable than a lovely 20 year old college student but I do.

People being stone cold psycho killers is a wierdly attractive quality, look at all the serial killers that get letters of adoration from women while theyre in prison. Are you a fan of true crime stories?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah not really? I know what you mean tho, like Kira being a terrible monster a big part of why I like his character, but nothing about Anasui being a convicted murder adds anything to me, I just find him easier to have around. He's def my least favorite member of the Part 6 cast but he's not bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I imagine it's the difference between Anasui not wanting to sexually assault Jolyne and Joshuu being thirsty to the point of being willing to sexually assault the woman claiming to be his own mother, so one comes off as much grosser than the other.

By the way, I know the JJL translation includes an excess of "u"s in names, so with Joshuu's name, is it really just supposed to be Josh, or Joshu, or is the translator right for once and it is just Joshuu, or did they screw up and it's supposed to be Joshua?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If it was supposed to be Josh, the name would probably be pronounced Joshi, due to the sh sound having different rules for whispered vowels than other sounds.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
As far as I can tell his name is Jooshuu, so Jōshū is correct I just like adding that extra "u" when I don't need to. My Japanese isn't strong tho so I may be wrong

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine it's the difference between Anasui not wanting to sexually assault Jolyne and Joshuu being thirsty to the point of being willing to sexually assault the woman claiming to be his own mother, so one comes off as much grosser than the other.

By the way, I know the JJL translation includes an excess of "u"s in names, so with Joshuu's name, is it really just supposed to be Josh, or Joshu, or is the translator right for once and it is just Joshuu, or did they screw up and it's supposed to be Joshua?

Moltrey posted:

As far as I can tell his name is Jooshuu, so Jōshū is correct I just like adding that extra "u" when I don't need to. My Japanese isn't strong tho so I may be wrong

It's a romanization thing. There are a systems, each with their own way of transliterating long vowels. Jōshū, Jooshuu, and Joushuu are all correct ways to write out the name in English, but each one is using different rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's only one way to say the vowels in Japanese, so knowing that, it's the same Jo as all the other Jo and shu like in the word shoot in English. It's probably the only name where the immediate apparent pronunciation in English is the wrong one.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

FirstAidKite posted:

The JJL translation is overly literal, but generally not incorrect. The extra "u"s in there are there in Japanese. We're just used to Kujo Jotaro rather than Kuujou Joutarou.

Japanese distinguishes long and short vowels (English doesn't, my mother tongue, Danish, does), so whenever you have the double u or the ou, that's essentially how Japanese shows long vowels. Because we're reading it in English, a language without long and short vowels, translators often don't mark long and short vowels. See also the Hyuuga clan in Naruto (sometimes transliterated as Hyuga for people who don't like long vowels).

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's only one way to say the vowels in Japanese, so knowing that, it's the same Jo as all the other Jo and shu like in the word shoot in English. It's probably the only name where the immediate apparent pronunciation in English is the wrong one.

Also this is not actually true (because of phonemic length in Japanese). It's the same Jo as some other Jos, but not Jonathan, Joseph, Giorno, Jolyne and Johnny. If you listen to how they say Joseph Joestar, you should be able to notice that the Jo in Joestar is longer. Same vowel quality, but different lengths.

The katakana for Joseph Joestar transliterate to
Jo-se-fu-Jō-su-tā

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Joshuu Bin Joseph was the 'Saint' that became the 'Holy Corpse'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Exercu posted:

Also this is not actually true (because of phonemic length in Japanese). It's the same Jo as some other Jos, but not Jonathan, Joseph, Giorno, Jolyne and Johnny. If you listen to how they say Joseph Joestar, you should be able to notice that the Jo in Joestar is longer. Same vowel quality, but different lengths.

The katakana for Joseph Joestar transliterate to
Jo-se-fu-Jō-su-tā

This doesn't change how they're pronounced though, only the length they're sounded for. There's a single sound for the vowel sounds and the length changes. It's not like in English where even the name English can be pronounced En (like enlighten) and In (like invigorate).

If you know the vowel sounds, you can get a solid grasp on how any given name is supposed to be pronounced because of that, which is the point being made.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Isn't it pronounced EEnglish (with the e being like I in Ink)?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Joshw

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jouhounnie jouestour

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

English can be pronounced En (like enlighten)

I legitimately don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce the word English like this, and I've lived here my whole life, and see thousands of people from all across the globe every day at work.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

If you know the vowel sounds, you can get a solid grasp on how any given name is supposed to be pronounced because of that, which is the point being made.
Yeah, that's the problem, it's not that "Joshuu" is wrong--it's that it's, like, symptomatic of a bigger problem.

fwiw I finally got my French copy of JJL 1 and it's "Joshu" and they've toned down a lot of his draaaaaaawn-out vowels but he still sounds like a hateable manchild. Interested to see how they handle the rest of his family's goofy speech. Good translation, would recommend to anyone with high school French and maybe a willingness to look up some slang terms if you're out of practice. Typesetting's pretty lazy (alignment problems, zero-effort ORA ORA ORA speech bubbles, etc.) but so is every Tonkam typesetting job I've seen. I'm gonna be collecting it as it comes out, but I'll always be 2-3 months behind the release thanks to Canadian distribution issues I guess. Volume 2 is out, too, but I won't get it till March-ish.

Moltrey posted:

I've kind of come around to Joshu because his last couple of appearances have gone beyond "creepy weirdo" to "pathetic enough to be kind of funny," but man does he ever make a bad first impression. At least Jolyne's mostly (hilariously) oblivious to Anasui's fuckboy antics; Yasuho in the very first chapter of JJL complains about how grossed out she is by Joshu's insistence that she belongs to him.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also, what native English speaking accent pronounces enlighten and invigorate with a different sounding first syllable?

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I do, but I'm a native English speaker in Ontario and everyone knows how mock-able Canadian accents are.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WrightOfWay posted:

Also, what native English speaking accent pronounces enlighten and invigorate with a different sounding first syllable?

As someone who's mostly lived in the northern midwest US, most everyone I've spoken two would pronounce those first syllables distinctly.

About the closest might be around eastern Indiana and northern Kentucky, where you might find people who'd say "envigorate." Even then, it's actually a different "en" sound than they'd use for enlighten.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WrightOfWay posted:

This whole thread is confusing me because I don't even remember how I pronounce enlighten. I feel like it's inbetween a short e and i.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm from the Midwest so my pronunciations are right out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

I do. ~Sheffield area in a accent hotspot where 100m legitimately changes how people speak. (Like, some filthy animals nearby pronounce roll as Ro-wool). English is a hosed up language with an unholy amount of regional dialects. I guess it's the same for other languages I don't speak, I dunno, I don't speak them.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Isn't it pronounced EEnglish (with the e being like I in Ink)?

It's how I say it, but as long as it's not just obviously wrong, like saying trying to English and have it come out as Cannonball, it's fine. Go nuts, it's not wrong.

Momomo posted:

This whole thread is confusing me because I don't even remember how I pronounce enlighten. I feel like it's inbetween a short e and i.

The worst thing is that while it's a hot topic, you're not going to get a straight answer for yourself. "Do I always say it like this or am I focusing too hard on it etc etc".

We went over it a bit when the chapter of VA came out and it says Pair-iss. I've never heard anyone say Paris as Pair-iss. It's bad and wrong. Or good and correct.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Jyawnee Jyoshter

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

We went over it a bit when the chapter of VA came out and it says Pair-iss. I've never heard anyone say Paris as Pair-iss. It's bad and wrong. Or good and correct.

what is said where you are? par (as in golf) iss?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've never heard Paris pronounced any way other than pair-iss unless they are putting on a bad French accent to say "gay paree".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speak Italian, dammit!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Speak Italian, dammit!!

he said in japanese that was translated into english
also buying lunch with Yen in the middle east

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Amaryllis posted:

I do, but I'm a native English speaker in Ontario and everyone knows how mock-able Canadian accents are.

Hey now, the Ontario accent is a proud and storied one.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Annasui just wanted to know where mickey was.

is that so wrong?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beautiful
this manga owns so much

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
People are down on the Dragon's Dream fight but I thought it was okay :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Joshuu Bin Joseph was the 'Saint' that became the 'Holy Corpse'

RandomFerret posted:

We only call Him 'Jesus Christ' because the New Testament was originally written in Greek. 'Iesous' is the closest approximation they had, and 'Christ' comes from the Greek word for messiah.

His real name was Yeshua ben Yosef. A more accurate modern translation would be 'Joshua Josephson.'

Or JoJo for short.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
And now that part 8 is here, we finally have a Josh for this era.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yes, I was humourously referencing that by implying that Joshuu and Jesus are alike

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Mr. Funktastic posted:

People are down on the Dragon's Dream fight but I thought it was okay :shrug:

I agree. I really liked it and think it will look great animated, but apparently some people had trouble following what was happening or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I agree. I really liked it and think it will look great animated, but apparently some people had trouble following what was happening or something.

Sometimes in a Jojo fight I'll come to the realization I have no Idea whats going on and just keep flipping pages until I at least kind of grasp what's happening. The second part never happened for me in that fight. All I remember is a weird dragon floating around and an old guy who drank his own pee.