Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it did? Objects and bodies were the source of the DS2 60fps durability bug at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

True. I always get a much bigger rush from beating actual people rather than AI so I'll take For Honor any day.

Nioh is an actual full release out several days ago, and will introduce PVP at a later date.

For Honor might be pretty fun, but I'd wager a lot of people might wait for reviews and for it to drop to like $30 or something.

Time will tell if it has the ability to sustain a good playerbase and balanced multiplayer experience.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nintendo are finally starting to get their poo poo together with mobile gaming. They've just released a very polished version of Fire Emblem for iOS and I like it.
Their consoles are done. You're a total moron if you buy a switch after the wiiu. It's a 2 horse race.
Haha ok bro.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not saying Zelda games are bad but if you are excited about buying a new console for (yet another) one then you have a bad case of stockholm syndrome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm just getting BotW on my WiiU for now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm just getting BotW on my WiiU for now.

Same, depending if it runs well or not. If not, it's a bargain bin title for me. I don't care for open worlds much, highly limited ones like Yakuza are fine, ubisoft open worlds I cannot take.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MZ posted:

Durability needs to go away

It's funny how in the 70 hrs I have in DS3, the ONLY weapon durability affects is the Holy Moonlight Sword, so much so that I just assumed they'd gotten rid of it.
It was a pain in the rear end in Bloodborne and WAY more so in DS2 (even patched). Totally agree it needs to go away.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The removal of durability made Nioh from a wait and see into a preorder for me. gently caress that system it was never fun

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why are you guys paying for a Switch? Just snag 2x preorders, sell one on eBay, and keep the other for free. I'll take a free console anyday, even if it only has 1 game.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Megasabin posted:

Why are you guys paying for a Switch? Just snag 2x preorders, sell one on eBay, and keep the other for free. I'll take a free console anyday, even if it only has 1 game.

You are assuming you sell the extra Switch for 2x the original cost + ebay and shipping fees I take it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Blackfyre posted:

You are assuming you sell the extra Switch for 2x the original cost + ebay and shipping fees I take it.

People sometimes pay crazy for stuff to have it asap

I once flipped a LE of a game I regretted buying that cost 90$ for 280$ (including shipping)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends, if it's another Wii you're okay, if it's another WiiU you're in trouble.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
About those avatars... is anyone aware of where I might find the PSO avatars used in the Playstation? I tried looking at my account profile but they aren't displayed.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Did they change how to close apps? Hulu has a bad habit of freezing but now I can only delete it, not close it. I would rather not reboot the whole PS4 every time this lovely app freezes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Each developer makes their own app for PlayStation 4. So if there is an issue with a specific app then you'll have to wait for the developer to release an update. I haven't used Hulu on PS4 before but it sounds awful.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I actually have no room for the switch and dislike handhelds. It needs to woo me, dine me before I drop my wallet, or have more than one game.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sefal posted:

People sometimes pay crazy for stuff to have it asap

I once flipped a LE of a game I regretted buying that cost 90$ for 280$ (including shipping)

What game was that then? I'm very curious.

Maybe its because I'm in the UK where it seems there are many places to still get a Switch for launch from what I could see the other day (apologies if I am wrong) but I don't get the feeling it will be a Wii situation, maybe more of a 3DS one. The price seems a little steep for many.

My wife is insisting we get one on launch but shes gonna pay for it so oh well. I will enjoy Zelda, Marion, Fire Emblem etc.

Heres hoping for a new good Metroid.

EDIT: Sorry for some reason thought I was posting into the chat thread so this post is pretty OT.

To be more on topic I'm digging Nioh's combat but it feels super bad playing either of the movie modes on a Pro after using Action mode, but it looks quite a bit better.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it did? Objects and bodies were the source of the DS2 60fps durability bug at least.

It did and does. Breaking the Santiers Spear in DS2 by attacking walls is a time honored tradition

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Blackfyre posted:

What game was that then? I'm very curious.

It was Final Fantasy 13-2 crystal edition

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For those of you who run a PS4 from a computer monitor, do you have any trouble just plugging the PS4 in the HDMI port and keeping your video card in the DVI? Thinking of moving my console from our 720p flatscreen TV to my PC for maximum laziness.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sefal posted:

:smithicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

Huh I was expecting one of the big collector's editions, like Duke Nukem Forever's Balls of Steel Edition or the bigass collector's Edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I always wondered why hitting walls didn't damage your weapons, I thought that would be the whole point of weapon durability in DS.

It does. In Dark Souls 2 katanas would break like crazy because it was impossible to swing one without scraping it against the ground

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

For those of you who run a PS4 from a computer monitor, do you have any trouble just plugging the PS4 in the HDMI port and keeping your video card in the DVI? Thinking of moving my console from our 720p flatscreen TV to my PC for maximum laziness.

I run this setup on my upstairs PS4 and have zero issues. It even switches automatically back to being a 2nd monitor for my PC when I put the PS4 in rest mode. Of course, depending on the monitor you have, I'm guessing that YMMV.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Question about upgrading from a standard PS4 to a Pro. If I have an upgraded hard drive I want to keep, can I just toss it into the Pro, or will I need to transfer my data to the Pro first, then back it up to USB, then swap drives and restore?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Wintermutant posted:

Question about upgrading from a standard PS4 to a Pro. If I have an upgraded hard drive I want to keep, can I just toss it into the Pro, or will I need to transfer my data to the Pro first, then back it up to USB, then swap drives and restore?

I believe you will need to back it all up, swap drives and use another usb with the system software on to set up on the new machine and then restore your backup.

Could be wrong but when I swapped my PS3 drives I needed to format the drive and treat it as a new drive for the new Playstation.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

I believe you will need to back it all up, swap drives and use another usb with the system software on to set up on the new machine and then restore your backup.

Could be wrong but when I swapped my PS3 drives I needed to format the drive and treat it as a new drive for the new Playstation.

This is correct. It's why my 2 TB is still in my OG PS4. I'll get the Pro its own 2 TB later. Basically all I did was tie my PSN account to the Pro, make it my primary console, and redownloaded the digital titles and cloud saves I wanted. I've been reinstalling my physical games as I've wanted to play them.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Any time a new hard drive is installed in a PlayStation (3 or 4) it has to be formatted. Even if said hard drive was in a PS4 and is going into another PS4 then it will still need to be formatted. Best thing you can do is backup your saves, pictures, and videos then swap hard drives and download/install game data again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I moved my PS4 to my PC desk for the same reason and am playing more of the PS4 than ever. It works fine!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm thinking of replacing my base PS4 with a Pro, but how much better does it look if I don't have a 4k TV? Still worth it?

(It helps that I have a white PS4 from the Destiny bundle so I can apparently sell it for significantly more than a normal one)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my base PS4 with a Pro, but how much better does it look if I don't have a 4k TV? Still worth it?

(It helps that I have a white PS4 from the Destiny bundle so I can apparently sell it for significantly more than a normal one)

It's worth it for boost mode.

And games can still supersample, making 1080p look nice.

Sell your white ps4 and buy a skin to dress up your pro in white. If you get a good enough deal on a new ps4 pro (like the eBay bundle and sell the games) you can probably pull it off for less than 100 bucks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ineffiable posted:

It's worth it for boost mode.

And games can still supersample, making 1080p look nice.

Sell your white ps4 and buy a skin to dress up your pro in white. If you get a good enough deal on a new ps4 pro (like the eBay bundle and sell the games) you can probably pull it off for less than 100 bucks.

I had to look up what boost mode is and drat that looks nice.

Is there a good way to go about selling the old system that allows me to be lazy and also not use paypal? And are the ebay bundles relatively common or is the one going on now the first one in a while?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes it is worth it. I currently play my Pro on a 19" 1080p screen and am noticing a difference. Things load faster, less pop-in, games are more stable it matters. I'm getting the Samsung KS8000 tomorrow, and I expect even more differences.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

This is what I do and it works perfectly. Plug my speakers into the line out on the monitor and I can use my computer's good speakers with it too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Morby posted:

Yes it is worth it. I currently play my Pro on a 19" 1080p screen and am noticing a difference. Things load faster, less pop-in, games are more stable it matters. I'm getting the Samsung KS8000 tomorrow, and I expect even more differences.

That KS8000 will be silky smooth. You'll never forgive yourself for going so long without a really nice set like that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Idk if want to get Nioh or the second song pack for future tone tonight :c

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Nioh. Miku will be waiting when you're done.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

That KS8000 will be silky smooth. You'll never forgive yourself for going so long without a really nice set like that.

This will be the 2nd TV I've ever bought, and definitely the biggest with the most features. I got a pretty good deal on it, too, and I'll get to enjoy it for one glorious afternoon...before I have to go on a work trip for the week.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I get "lol Wiiu" is a running joke but it's a legit good system if you don't do online gaming. Yeah Nintendo hosed it up and yeah it was a paperweight for the first two years it was released, but there's a huge backlog of awesome games on it now, and of course Wii games. Oh and Bayonetta 1-2. The tablet is gimmicky, poo poo range, and shouldn't be required; but I think it's pretty cool and innovative still. Idk the Wii-u does a lot of cool they just yeah botched it

The wii on the other hand was a gimmicky piece of poo poo through and through, imo and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

At least the wii isn't ugly.