Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trillhouse posted:

Thank you for this post. I've only really done 1v1 so this was illuminating to me. All add this graphic too. It helps you understand how renown works and what gets you renown points for your character.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nKH4x

Oh yeah that image is pretty good. Put that in the OP!

And that points out something I left out, that if you're a heavy you're better off holding or contesting A or C than trying to kill mooks at B, while vanguards need to be killing mooks here and there. So that gives you a clear role in dominion based on what class you pick. And obviously assassins are just running around trying to gank players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this is a cool fighting game that should be marketed as such and at 20-40 dollars instead of 60

aside from that I have no real input, the 1v1 and 2v2 modes are great and everything else is a clusterfuck where little of the mechanics make sense or play well

good luck on your game, people willing to buy in

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

this is a cool fighting game that should be marketed as such and at 20-40 dollars instead of 60

aside from that I have no real input, the 1v1 and 2v2 modes are great and everything else is a clusterfuck where little of the mechanics make sense or play well

good luck on your game, people willing to buy in

:lol: when was the last AAA fighting game released at $20? Keep dreaming.

If you're a poor just wait a few months for a sale like with literally every video game :v: You act like this is different.

The 4v4 mode makes tons of sense if you spend a few seconds figuring it out, and is very addictive once you get it. I haven't done many duels since, its got so much more going on. But please, blame the game because you're small minded.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

High quality!

For people who hate links:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
It's okay for people to have opinions and not like the game, IMHO. I loving love it and it hits all the right buttons for me but not everyone is going to feel the same way!

Actual content: to add to the Dominins tips, do not forget your feats! Body count (should be a first level feat for everyone?) is INCREDIBLY important if you're going to be mixing things up at B - I've had it decide more than a few fights in my favor when I could zone attack for a full heal and the other guy couldn't.

Make sure to play around with your options as you level up and experiment with what works best!

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Alternatively, if you're still unsure about the game, grab some of your old Nintendo stuff and go trade it in for Steam credit at your local Gamestop (locations may have different trade in rates though? YMMV). Get For Honor for free! I traded in a bunch of Wii U games and a 3DS + games and got like $320. Nintendo is making GBS threads out money right now for stuff.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I got a double attack sword blade and a double throw range sword guard on kensei and it's ridiculous. I hope that random drops don't decide who gets the best gear, because this poo poo is insane.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are gear stats just for dominion and custom games?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I got a double attack sword blade and a double throw range sword guard on kensei and it's ridiculous. I hope that random drops don't decide who gets the best gear, because this poo poo is insane.

Remember that you can just upgrade any piece of gear for salvage and steel. You get swamped in so many rank 1 items that you can just pick out whichever one has the stat you like and boost it up to a rank in line with the rest of your equipment.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They seem to be disabled by default on duel.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Short hand assuming no custom matches:

Game 4v4? Gear up baby!

Game not 4v4: RIP gear

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Perestroika posted:

Remember that you can just upgrade any piece of gear for salvage and steel. You get swamped in so many rank 1 items that you can just pick out whichever one has the stat you like and boost it up to a rank in line with the rest of your equipment.

I'm just leery about the potential of there being only like, 5 objectively good modifiers and having to rely on getting lucky wrt drops to stay competitive in dominion

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there some way to skip the 2 minute intro cinematic that randomly decides to pop up while loading the game?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ESC + spacebar on keyboard IIRC, controllers it's probably some combination of start + X/A.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I was very hype to play this and then I did and I find the controls reprehensible. Everything feels the opposite of 'tight' controls.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was very hype to play this and then I did and I find the controls reprehensible. Everything feels the opposite of 'tight' controls.

I genuinely have no idea what game you're playing then, because the controls feel fantastic to me.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Yo i take back what i said about 4v4 TDM looking bland before even trying it.

Gear stats + active feats and big maps is super fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hard posted:

The mode is fine but the powerups and ease of revive are doing their absolute best to ruin it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

loving uplay overlay keeps the mouse on screen even during matches and it's the most distracting poo poo.

Also glad to see group matchmaking is utterly hosed and lobbies drop rather than trying to find new players.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 10, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I genuinely have no idea what game you're playing then, because the controls feel fantastic to me.

I guess it's just not clicking for me. Enjoy the free beta tho, goons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

The mode is fine but the powerups and ease of revive are doing their absolute best to ruin it.

Yeah, the powerups are basically a snowballing mechanic that mostly just make it easier for the winning team to win even harder. Whoever manages to get the first kill can rush to a powerup, approach the next fight with a significant advantage, get more powerups, and at that point it's almost over. Together with the reviving I've rarely seen a team make a comeback after being put on the backfoot.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hard posted:

Thx for fixing your opinion Hard

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

phourniner posted:

Alternatively, if you're still unsure about the game, grab some of your old Nintendo stuff and go trade it in for Steam credit at your local Gamestop (locations may have different trade in rates though? YMMV). Get For Honor for free! I traded in a bunch of Wii U games and a 3DS + games and got like $320. Nintendo is making GBS threads out money right now for stuff.

I traded in a few consoles, some old games, my car, and my pc to get For Honor for free.

Now I just need to buy a PC to play it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zaphod42 posted:

well considering how well "AAA fighting games" have done lately it'll be 20 dollars in about a month

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
this just really seems quite convoluted in mechanics making for a lackluster experience in terms of actual combat and strategy. at that price point I just don't see this being worth a buy. I'm sure this will be dead once the "ooOH shiny" wears off.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
and don't even get me started on being peer to peer. its fate is pretty much sealed outside of bargain bin buy 1v1s. i can only compare this game to rocket league, but while rocket league has fun, strategy, and an overall polish this game is just another turd with a new name and a lightbolt sticker

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minrad posted:

well considering how well "AAA fighting games" have done lately it'll be 20 dollars in about a month

video games go down in price after release? well color me surprised

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

panda clue posted:

a 2/3 cut in one month would imply that the demand suggested by the initial price was vastly exaggerated. i think i'll color you a smooth-lobed jarhead imbecile instead.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Kind of surprised at the complaints. I can totally see this not clicking for everyone, but this feels like everything I've wanted in a 'combat' game and it makes me think of what a modernized Bushido Blade would be like.

I was sold after 30 minutes of open beta.

edit: I'd be hyped as gently caress to see 1v1s or 2v2s at Evo or some other big FGC tournament if UBI could figure out a good way to implement a good spectator mode.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 10, 2017

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

panda clue posted:

guys what the hell this mmo is 60 dollar launch mmo went free to play and then shut down the servers in 2 months?? what the?? *remembers the Panda Clue Rule* ooh right. video games go down in price after release!!

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Up to the Elves posted:

a 2/3 cut in one month would imply that the demand suggested by the initial price was vastly exaggerated. i think i'll color you a smooth-lobed jarhead imbecile instead.

why yes, if it actually goes down to $20 after literally one month, you might have a point!

alas

Up to the Elves posted:

guys what the hell this mmo is 60 dollar launch mmo went free to play and then shut down the servers in 2 months?? what the?? *remembers the Panda Clue Rule* ooh right. video games go down in value over time!!

you're trying too hard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Up to the Elves posted:

smooth-lobed jarhead imbecile

:ironicat:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

lol Panda I like this game but you are such a white knight fanboi it's embarrassing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Deathmatch is pretty fun. It's like duels, except after you win the first one you get to enter gank-mode and pile on people

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

lol Panda I like this game but you are such a white knight fanboi it's embarrassing.

not really, I have plenty of issues with the game. none of them involve spending $48 on it at release or lag, though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Deathmatch is pretty fun. It's like duels, except after you win the first one you get to enter gank-mode and pile on people

Lovin the deathmatch people complaining about HONOR when this happens.

Also, Once you get Orochi's shuriken and longbow you're unstoppable in Deathmatch

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

Lovin the deathmatch people complaining about HONOR when this happens.

Also, Once you get Orochi's shuriken and longbow you're unstoppable in Deathmatch

Warriors who use ranged weapons are WITHOUT honor!

/Worf

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're a poor just wait a few months for a sale like with literally every video game :v: You act like this is different.

The 4v4 mode makes tons of sense if you spend a few seconds figuring it out, and is very addictive once you get it. I haven't done many duels since, its got so much more going on. But please, blame the game because you're small minded.

I like how retards always call people who dont buy overpriced poo poo poor. Actually poor people are the ones who pay way more than somethings worth and are stupid with their money.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Here's a summary of about 80% of this thread:

quote:

"This game is too expensive!"

"P2P lol"

"Your opinion is different than mine, therefore you are retarded."

*autistic screeching*

Hot take: Game is legit fun, has a high learning curve and skill ceiling, isn't too expensive, and despite all the constant bitching about P2P it seems most people haven't experienced many significant issues.

Recreational outrage is in full swing, let's all get mad about something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's too rich for my blood but given the proposed support post-release it's not Evolve-level outrageous.