Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Where the hell did he escape from, Meowschwitz?

I'm very glad Maus never went for this pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Cats are assholes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

The worst bit isn't the idiot who doesn't know how doors work, or that he had a stupid proposal plan that fell apart, or even that his two plans to solve the missing cat problem are to ask Reddit or buy a new one rather than say, LOOK for it. No, it's this rear end in a top hat who "loves" cats so much she got hers declawed.

agreed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cat is just doing its part to make it known it doesnt believe this marriage will work.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
If a cat wants to hide, you won't be able to find it. They're hide and seek masters. You can bait it though. That's how I caught mine. Unfortunately I trapped a few feral ones first.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

The worst bit isn't the idiot who doesn't know how doors work, or that he had a stupid proposal plan that fell apart, or even that his two plans to solve the missing cat problem are to ask Reddit or buy a new one rather than say, LOOK for it. No, it's this rear end in a top hat who "loves" cats so much she got hers declawed.

my cat is so precious and important to me that I permanently mutilated it so that it could not damage my furniture

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Are the anti-declawing folks as upset about circumcision?

My escapee cat had his claws, so I wasn't too worried about him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Einstein posted:

Are the anti-declawing folks as upset about circumcision?

My escapee cat had his claws, so I wasn't too worried about him.

declawing isn't the same as circumcision, unless you think circumcision involved chopping off a third of the penis

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

boner confessor posted:

declawing isn't the same as circumcision, unless you think circumcision involved chopping off a third of the penis

Depends on the size of the penis.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you can cut off its balls surely you can cut its nails

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I'm very glad Maus never went for this pun.

I had to buy that once for an ex-girlfriend's birthday present. Is it any good?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Update to the cat story:

quote:

Hey everyone. First off, thank you so much for your responses/PMs, there were so many helpful suggestions and tips about cats that I didn't even know about so thanks for that.

Kitty came back early this morning. The apartment my GF lives in has a porch under the front steps and when she went to take the trash out the cat came out of the porch. I don't think it was under there the whole time or not (BELIEVE ME, I CHECKED THOROUGHLY) but it was covered in muck and dirt and wet from the rain we've had. My GF instantly started crying and took the cat in to wash it down. She played hookey from work because she was so drat happy the cat was safe.

No ring - must've fallen off the cat when it was running around. The string I used to tie it was still on the collar, by some miracle, and my GF noticed so I had to explain. She was already pretty emotional from finding the cat, so when I told her I was gonna propose she kind of did a weird laugh/giggle/sob sort of deal. It was adorable. But also really sad, I wish I could've been able to give her that ring and I will be eternally kicking myself for being so loving dumb.

So I got down on a knee and asked, promising I'd get her a ring as soon as I could afford to. She said yes and then we both started crying. Then, she looked me dead in the eye and said something like, "The next time you think about doing something stupid...just don't."

So I guess I learned my lesson. I lost the ring but more importantly, kitty is back safe and sound (and clean) and I know have the most amazing fiancee known to mankind. I'm not going to call myself the luckiest guy in the world for obvious reasons....but I'm the happiest sap on earth right now

Thanks again, everyone. And to the people who said this sounded like a sitcom, if any of you end up (or are) being tv writers I expect to see an episode dedicated to me! haha

tl;dr: Found the cat, no ring...but i'm now happily engaged!

what a loving shocker the cat was under the porch the whole time and the ring is gone

it must be nice to be able to be this laissez faire over losing a $6,000 ring

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Metal detector. That's six loving grand and it's findable.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Metal detector. That's six loving grand and it's findable.

in the best version of this story, a little kid finds it in the grass and it ends up in a plastic toy jewelry box for the next fifteen years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

I had to buy that once for an ex-girlfriend's birthday present. Is it any good?

It's "good" in the sense Schindler's List is good. Everyone would agree that's an amazingly powerful movie, but do you ever wanna watch it again?

Basically true for all Holocaust media.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WampaLord posted:

It's "good" in the sense Schindler's List is good. Everyone would agree that's an amazingly powerful movie, but do you ever wanna watch it again?

I don't think Schindler's List is very good. Why the hell are you shooting it in black and white and just gifting the audience that distance from what's going on? Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie with a happy ending? Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie where the protagonist is a German non-Jew? Why didn't that electric fence kill Timmy when it turned on?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Perhaps they could just use the cat as a ring. Not like kill it and make it into a ring but just say "that's the engagement ring, Steve (or whatever his name is) didn't accidentally kill my kitty cat."

WampaLord posted:

Wonder why she had to read it for her elementary education degree courses then. Sounds pretty much the opposite of Curious George.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think Schindler's List is very good. Why the hell are you shooting it in black and white and just gifting the audience that distance from what's going on? Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie with a happy ending? Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie where the protagonist is a German non-Jew? Why didn't that electric fence kill Timmy when it turned on?

it's kind of ridiculous that the fence is supposed to keep hundred+ ton dinosaurs from moving between pens but somehow he just gets by with some bleeding from the ears and singed hair

no permanent injuries. really? and this was supposed to stop dinosaurs?

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Zzulu posted:

Trimming a cat's nails is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Declawing a cat is like cutting off each of a person's fingers at the last knuckle.

EDIT: I missed that it was a $6000 engagement ring, oh my god. And he tied it to a cat.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 10, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think Schindler's List is very good.

It is still "good" in the sense Schindler's List is "good"

back in the day it made waves cause it was the first comic book most people had seen that was about depressing poo poo instead of Captain America punching out Satan, but that's like a whole genre now with its own shelf at Barnes and Noble

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It is still "good" in the sense Schindler's List is "good"

back in the day it made waves cause it was the first comic book most people had seen that was about depressing poo poo instead of Captain America punching out Satan, but that's like a whole genre now with its own shelf at Barnes and Noble

I didn't know Schlinder's List was a comic book first but that does make sense given the stinger scene where Nick Fury recruits Oskar.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's back with another list... of nazis to punch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I feel like JP and Schindler's List could be edited together into one weird-yet-coherent 90-minute thing nobody would like. Like the fences at the camps are actually there to keep the dinosaurs out. I'm just spitballing here.

The point is, every time Spielberg tries to make a Serious Grown Up Best Picture movie he drops unforced errors that turn what should have been a home run into a decent triple. He has real limits as an artist.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I didn't know Schlinder's List was a comic book first but that does make sense given the stinger scene where Nick Fury recruits Oskar.

No, "Maus" is the comic book.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

While the racist sex talk is pretty hilarious and also suspect, the rest of his post strikes me as this guy being unfairly driven at his work to the detriment of his relationship. Dude should maybe consider cutting back to 40 hour weeks, not work weekends, and actively focus on his horny wife as opposed to just robotically going along with it. Maybe he would be much more into their weird sex adventures if he wasn't an overly invested work zombie. While OP doesn't describe his job situation in detail, it is not healthy to work 60+ hour weeks regularly, and doubly so if he isn't on some upper-level career track.

Dude should just calm down, chill, gently caress his wife. His life would be so much better.

If you're in a job where you're working 60+ hours a week and on weekends, pretty much no matter what level of pay "work less hours" isn't something that is likely to happen if you still want to be employed. Especially when you're pretty replaceable.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

chumbler posted:

If you're in a job where you're working 60+ hours a week and on weekends, pretty much no matter what level of pay "work less hours" isn't something that is likely to happen if you still want to be employed. Especially when you're pretty replaceable.

Yeah, but if you're in a marriage where you're working 60+ hours a week and on weekends, pretty much no matter what level of pay "work 60 hours a week indefinitely" isn't something that's likely to happen if you still want to be married. Especially when you're pretty replaceable.

This story comes up again and again in this thread and it seems obvious to me that the techbro lifestyle and serious romantic relationships are inherently incompatible.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed how these stories seem to always have specific times listed and sexual activity as a percentage variable? Something something autism

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 10, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mirthless posted:

it's kind of ridiculous that the fence is supposed to keep hundred+ ton dinosaurs from moving between pens but somehow he just gets by with some bleeding from the ears and singed hair

no permanent injuries. really? and this was supposed to stop dinosaurs?

I'm not going to do any math on this not because I'm above it but because I'm too stupid, but if you put an electric fence around a cow pen the current is supposed to spook them if they touch it, not kill them. And most of those just give a human a little jolt even though most of us weigh many times less than a cow.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Gaunab posted:

quote:

Me [23 F] with my coworkers/acquaintances [usually F] pick on me, but I don't know how to be assertive

Op. Sounds. Adorable. :3:

5' 2" and 85 lbs is "severely underweight" by the BMI chart. Chica must be tiiiiiiiny.

I looked up gaff tape (I knew it was going to be pricey anyway) and it's $15-30 depending on the size of the roll. KHITBASH that ho, tiny dancer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Antivehicular posted:

I hate elaborate proposals as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure "I'll marry you. Whatever." is an instant relationship-ender barring a Roast-Beef-from-Achewood-level anhedonia that would make that pronouncement count as "positive" or "enthused."

Why would you propose to someone with extreme anhedonia, though? Tax purposes?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Poly people continue to be the worst

quote:

My [30M] fiancee [25F] of 2 years had dinner with friends while style was interstate for work and headed back home to a house where 2 male and female couples (I don't know their ages though I know one couple is married) in a polyamorous relationship live, after dinner.

We've had a big week while she has been away. Part of what happened tonight could be down to what has happened this week. Basically we didn't extend our lease but in the last month we haven't been able to find a new rental. While she has been away for work I've been trying to organise a move. Today we applied for one more property in the hope of avoiding having to move our stuff into storage and staying with friends or family in the meantime. It's been incredibly stressful having to be at work and organising this then getting home and having to pack and clean. So perhaps part of what happened tonight comes down to tiredness and frustration and being wound up too tight and the fact that I was packing while she was out enjoying herself.

Anyway, leaving the background aside, she said she would be home by 10 after dinner, then she said she was going to the couples' house for a drink, then she said she'd be home by 12 and then at 1am when she was still there, I told her I felt uncomfortable about her being there. I didn't say she had to leave or anything.

One couple I've met once or twice before. The other couple are strangers. Earlier today she told me that the couple I did know had a falling out with another friend because they cheated on her by going camping with this other couple (who they now live with) and had foursomes with the entire weekend when they went camping.

My fiancee asked why I felt uncomfortable and before I could answer someone took the phone off her and told me that the level of concern I had for my fiancee was unhealthy. I already had my concerns about both couples respect of other people's boundaries. I know they are very liberal but I think it's unfair to expect that everyone should have the same boundaries you do. I feel like her taking the phone off my fiancee and telling me that everything was ok and that my fiancee should stay longer escalated things and validating my anxiety.

Meanwhile my fiancee was upset because she was having fun and thought I was ruining her night and said that I have a problem with her having fun without me.

I don't think that's a problem for me. I think that the circumstances dictate how I feel. I told her that I basically saw the two couples as one sleazy guy and her being at their place and drinking until 1am without me made me uncomfortable. I didn't ask her to leave nor expect her to, but she did. I think all I wanted was reassurance and not to be told that my concern was unhealthy from a third party.

I'm not sure if I'm putting this out right, but I think there's a tension between having fun, which is ok, but if whatever your doing is making your partner feel uncomfortable or anxious, then shouldn't you do something about it to address the concern rather than attacking them for being concerned?

I wonder what other people think about this? Do you have boundaries for your partner or is my behaviour controlling? I wish I didn't feel uncomfortable when she was out tonight and so I've agreed to see a psychologist.

TL;DR

I felt uncomfortable because my [30M] fiancee [25F] of 2 years was drinking late at night at the home of a polyamorous group of couples.

Imagine taking the phone out of a woman's hand to yell at her fiance.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

datajugend posted:

do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? yeah sure whatever.

The guy is dumb, but dont do that big elaborate proposal stuff infront of a crowd of people, thats a lot of lovely pressure. Do it when its private and personal and if he says yes (not whatever ok yeah) go shower in your friends congratulations.

Agreed. Her boyfriend is a loving idiot and awesome example of Patriots fans everywhere, but proposing in public without discussing it extensively ahead of time is a terrible, terrible idea. A public proposal should be a fun thing for show, not the first time you actually propose to your partner. Not that it excuses his gross behavior and reaction in the least, but putting her boyfriend on the spot like that in front of all his friends is borderline horrifying to many reasonable people. Who aren't his dumb rear end, but regardless, my point still stands.

I don't really give a poo poo about her proposal being during the Super Bowl though. Even if that was a crazy depressing game for Pats fans at halftime, his comically bad reaction is no excuse whatsoever.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Poly people continue to be the worst

Imagine taking the phone out of a woman's hand to yell at her fiance.

I might be inclined to show that person what an actual level of unhealthy concern looks like after the fact.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

It's not just cutting its nails - you can in fact just trim the nails if you're not a lazy rear end in a top hat and you have a cat that won't use scratching posts.

Declawing is like taking the first digit of your fingers off and it super fucks up their balance for life (pretty important for a cat) and probably causes constant/permanent nerve pain just like an amputee experiences (except a cat can't tell you about it). Also if they ever get outside they have no way to defend themselves from anything.

Declawing is for stupid idiots who are too lazy to properly take care of their pet except in some very rare cases where there are other behavioral/medical issues at play.

TheScott2K posted:

Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie with a happy ending? Who the gently caress makes a Holocaust movie where the protagonist is a German non-Jew?

a Jewish person, lol

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 10, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

chumbler posted:

I am well aware of how intense the software engineer techbro lifestyle is and I'm saying dude should either figure out how to not work 60+ hours at his job (or another job) and not torpedo his marriage over financial security or his dream to be the most badass programmer ever or some such. Who gives a poo poo if you're making bank when you can barely enjoy yourself and your wife is pissed off at you? Unless he really doesn't care about her enough to change, there is no way it gets better from here for his sorry rear end if he barely pays attention to his wife and is like "Eh whatever, gotta work 60+ hours grinding out that code" when she's screaming at him months from now. It's also really dumb and sad how he looks down upon her for working "only" 40 hours per week, waking up much later than he does, shockingly wanting to relax on the weekends, etc. You know, like most people who consider work-life balance to be extremely important. I work in IT and I'm almost never sitting there working on support tickets past my 8 hours for good reason.

Basically, dude is a borderline autistic dullard and is really dumb and bad for not realizing how good he's got it. It's just pathetic because his make-believe "issue" of his wife wanting his dick every second is absolutely missing the point of his extensive problems.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 10, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People just don't know how to negotiate for themselves anymore. They are told that work is the best and working is life and be diligent and don't be lazy blah blah blah then on the backend management fucks them because they recognize a schlub that will hack code for 60+ hours a week until forever and never ask for a raise or seek alternative job offers and work them to death.

Then they reach their forties and are divorced with high blood pressure and a kid that hates them because they were never there and have a mid life crisis.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I [19M] won't be able to celebrate my girlfriend's [30F] birthday with her and she is very upset.

quote:

Hey, my girlfriend and I have been dating for 4 months. She is the younger sister of my brother's wife. We've known each other for approx. 8 years but started seeing each other steadily after our siblings got married together.

Anyways we have a great relationship so far. The past few months have been great although I've been trying to juggle classes and internships in between spending time with her. She herself has worked odd jobs in PR, events management, and is now an occasional columnist.

The one issue I have with her is that she's kind of clingy and gets very emotional/sad when we're separated. She's also the type that expects to be spoiled and pampered and has very high standards. I try to do stuff for her and she's appreciative but I feel like she always wants more.

Last night my mum told me that her aunt in another country has passed away. She wants to fly over there next week for the funeral and has asked me and my sister to come with her and support her. Of course I agreed to go with her. We are to fly there next Tuesday and will be staying for a week.

Problem is, my GF's 30th birthday is RIGHT in the middle of all this. She has been planning it for a long time and it will be held overseas because she wanted to go somewhere warm. She has invited about 20-30 people, including my brother and my sister in law.

I told her that I could not make it to her birthday getaway, explained the whole situation with my great aunt, and she got very upset with me. I even promised to take her out to dinner the day before I left and to celebrate together, just the two of us, but she said that it "wouldn't be the same" and that all her friends would be wondering where I was. She is also upset because this means that she has to return the outfit which she had picked out for me to wear.

How do I get her to calm down? I understand that turning 30 is a big big deal but I genuinely cannot make it to her birthday due to circumstances beyond my control. She is in tears because of this and I feel very bad. But at the same time I HAVE to attend my great aunt's funeral and support my mother during this difficult time for her.

TL;DR: I have to go to another country for my great aunt's funeral. However, my girlfriend's 30th birthday is happening that same week and I cannot make it. She is inconsolable and thinks I'm a terrible boyfriend.

quote:

Yeah the age is correct but she didn't exactly "watch me grow up". Our siblings started dating each other when I was 9 and we met a couple of times after they started getting serious...but we didn't become close until their wedding 2 years ago.
Pretty standard "Age Gap"-story but just a liiiiitle bit worse.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah declawing isn't just trimming the nails, it's completely removing the nails. look at your fingers and think about what you would have to do to permanently remove your fingernals and never trim them again

my wife's cat is old as hell and he has arthritis and can't retract his nails anymore so whenever he lays down on a person they get clawed. sucks but also he's an elderly cat and he can't help it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

She is also upset because this means that she has to return the outfit which she had picked out for me to wear.

:catstare:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

People just don't know how to negotiate for themselves anymore. They are told that work is the best and working is life and be diligent and don't be lazy blah blah blah then on the backend management fucks them because they recognize a schlub that will hack code for 60+ hours a week until forever and never ask for a raise or seek alternative job offers and work them to death.

Then they reach their forties and are divorced with high blood pressure and a kid that hates them because they were never there and have a mid life crisis.

Right. People who seriously subscribe to the ideal of American work culture where working as long and hard as possible until you die is the ideal are missing out on life. People should be working enough to support an enjoyable lifestyle with their loved ones and friends. That's it. Leave the heavy lifting to the other fools who are into American work culture.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Right. People who seriously subscribe to the ideal of American work culture where working as long and hard as possible until you die is the ideal are missing out on life. People should be working enough to support an enjoyable lifestyle with their loved ones and friends. That's it. Leave the heavy lifting to the other fools who are into American work culture.

My life got so much better once I figured this out.