Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kiborg Vs LGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

From development point of view, most likely the entire thing is grounded on the fact that skins with complex textures need to be manually checked on each weapon for compliance. So, on year 5 there would be like a room full of Ubisoft designers flipping through 257 skins that could be potentially applied to the RPG-7 gadget of the new Ukrainian operator Kiborg.

See you say that but the skins are backwards compatible rather than forwards, so they make (35 base guns + DLC operator weapons, currently 21, X number of new skins, usually four), for the new universal but would only need to make (legacy number of universal skins X number of new guns, usually five).

But then how could they be manually skinning them? You're telling me they hand fit about 224 times for the four latest universal skins? The original universal skins were your typical project the camo across the entire gun which doesn't work well for complicated stuff, the sets of recent universal skins are a massive step up in quality. I'm sure they use a tool that has the UV map broken down in to areas that different materials get projected on to for something like El Dorado then things like Chupinazo and Crossfader could be a simple projection with highlights/details at the edges. I'd guess you'd still have to hand adjust each weapon to get the look right but it would mean forwards compatibility isn't a big deal to implement when you already do 200+.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 10, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carecat posted:

See you say that but the skins are backwards compatible rather than forwards, so they make (35 base guns + DLC operator weapons, currently 21, X number of new skins, usually four), for the new universal but would only need to make (legacy number of universal skins X number of new guns, usually five).
Yes, but keep in mind that backwards compatibility is between actual gameplay and actual customization, whereas forwards compatibility would've been between the actual gameplay and increasingly obsolete and inherently degrading customization.

In fact, the total number of skins potentially applicable to any given weapon is bound to eclipse the total number of weapons a new skin can potentially be applied to.

E:

Carecat posted:

But then how could they be manually skinning them? You're telling me they hand fit about 900 weapons for the four latest universal skins? Crossfader could be a simple projection and drawing purple on the edges but El Dorado works so well I don't think it could have been done automatically, at least not without per gun touch up.
I really doubt they manually skin them all, but I likewise doubt that they have automated this process to an extent where it is safe to not have a real person doing final spot checks on complex skins (i.e., say, the one with waves from Red Crow) on case-per-case basis.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Changed my reply as I'm not sure where I got 900 :downs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carecat posted:

I'd guess you'd still have to hand adjust each weapon to get the look right but it would mean forwards compatibility isn't a big deal to implement.
Forward compatibility is not difficult to implement, no. I'm saying that it is an increasingly impractical effort, increasing in amount with time.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Finally started equipping charms after I found one I liked and they clip brutally through Mira's hand holding the Vector. Not sure the game can be considered playable in this state...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Finally started equipping charms after I found one I liked and they clip brutally through Mira's hand holding the Vector. Not sure the game can be considered playable in this state...
Hello there, frustrated charm buddy. I'm still mad about my unicorn charm being a time investment comparable to a single ranked game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
many of the existing themed universal skins in this game are already just practically slapped on for the most part while some guns it looks like they actually took their time with to use the given pattern in a way that actually fits its shape

making skins isn't really that hard especially if you're getting paid for it, just tedious

there are people that make hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of skins/textures just as a hobby.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Thief posted:

many of the existing themed universal skins in this game are already just practically slapped on for the most part while some guns it looks like they actually took their time with to use the given pattern in a way that actually fits its shape

making skins isn't really that hard especially if you're getting paid for it, just tedious

there are people that make hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of skins/textures just as a hobby.

The obvious solution is a Steam Ubisoft Workshop. User curated skins with Ubi taking a generous cut. We already went half-clown, so why not go the full mile?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

The obvious solution is a Steam Ubisoft Workshop. User curated skins with Ubi taking a generous cut. We already went half-clown, so why not go the full mile?
Looking forward to the official Ubisoft Workshop Imgur gallery to offload the server strain.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Hey Hard,

Suggesting youtube user CoreRoss for a link on the OP.

He's been producing some great Siege content lately.

I'd say he's more content review as he tends to focus on "mythbusting" and coming up with tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsMCQRyBcg For his latest Jackal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCroEhhw0FYTT-UfQKwV3Ipw His main channel.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Argh, is there any ETA on the UPlay servers coming back up again? I tried checking the Ubisoft news pages for Aus and UK, however they all give runtime errors, so I'm assuming all things Siege are down. Great timing, as always; peak Aus gaming-time on a Friday night...

EDIT1: Ah, it's finally back up again! Thanks for reacting to my post so quickly, before even writing a reply, Hard! :v:

EDIT2: Wait, nevermind - easy come, easy go. I can connect to UPlay and get into the game now, but I can't connect to Siege's servers. Ubi! :arghfist::saddowns:
(Jesus, must I go through all five stages of grief, before being allowed to play Siege tonight? :v:)

EDIT3: It's back! Now, time to get some rounds in, before it dies again! And for gently caress's sake, tell the boys in the server room to properly tuck the ethernet cables in! No more tripping over them and causing them to disconnect, please! :D

EDIT4: Down again, before even finishing matchmaking... :smithicide:
Urgh, I think I've finally reached the 'acceptance' stage of grief. Tomorrow it is, then.

Sorry buddy.

But this makes me glad I stopped playing for the night. I was 8/10 into my placement matches and starting to get frustrated with some of the garbage idiots I got teamed with. gently caress the guys who start barking orders when they're dead, rear end in a top hat you want me to listen to you? Give me useful information to act on instead constantly talking so I can't even hear the game sound.

@Hard I need a keybind that mutes team mate audio. I wanna be able to toggle that.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

IceOrb posted:

Hey Hard,

Suggesting youtube user CoreRoss for a link on the OP.

He's been producing some great Siege content lately.

I'd say he's more content review as he tends to focus on "mythbusting" and coming up with tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsMCQRyBcg For his latest Jackal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCroEhhw0FYTT-UfQKwV3Ipw His main channel.

Added!

Also, Starter Edition is back at the moment on Uplay exclusively.

e: VV i like that feature. Plus you can report players for their emblems. I'll get right on the Rook proposal.

Hard fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 10, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hey can you punch whatever loving idiot decided to add custom emblems into for honor because half my games are filled with swastikas?

also tell them to add rook to for honor.

gently caress it i'll just keep playing siege

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

gently caress it i'll just keep playing siege

This is me since 2015

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

For Honor is fun but honestly it's the kind of game that would be best played in a featureless black void because the environment only detracts from the combat, which is extremely fighting game-esque.

It's not on the level of Siege IMO, where every map (except Favelas, gently caress Favelas) is a new and exciting experience with its own totally unique strategies and a constantly evolving meta.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

For Honor is fun but honestly it's the kind of game that would be best played in a featureless black void because the environment only detracts from the combat, which is extremely fighting game-esque.

It's not on the level of Siege IMO, where every map (except Favelas, gently caress Favelas) is a new and exciting experience with its own totally unique strategies and a constantly evolving meta.
*picks up a rock* Did you just call Yacht an exciting map?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorry but Yacht is good and fun except on Secure Container

Every single container spot blows

e: except top floor actually

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yatch has a good room or two. And some really bad ones. Bartlet doesn't have any good ones, but doesn't have any really bad ones.

I played the new map only once

E: ^ bomb is usually both the hostage and the secure room at once, so even if it didn't feature even worse combinations it always has the worst rooms in its rotation.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
For 15€ I might just jump in with the starter edition. 4 characters seems pretty limited, though. I have no idea how long one has to play to earn the 12.500 renown per additional character.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mira has improved every map except favelas because it's just that bad

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

skit herre posted:

For 15€ I might just jump in with the starter edition. 4 characters seems pretty limited. I have no idea how long one has to play to earn the 12.500 renown per additional character.

Like 20 hours of game play each. If you play as much as me you'd have the base cast in like... Half a year.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Yacht is objectively the worst map.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sorry but Yacht is good and fun except on Secure Container

Every single container spot blows

e: except top floor actually
hosed up, thankfully not true.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can always upgrade to the full ver afaik

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hosed up, thankfully not true.

There was a time when I, too, hated Yacht, but then I saw the error of my ways, got good, and embraced the boat

It's certainly better than Plane

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There was a time when I, too, hated Yacht, but then I saw the error of my ways, got good, and embraced the boat

It's certainly better than Plane
Hard, psyops are prohibited by ToS, right?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Yacht with all the hatches closed: v. bad
Yacht with all the hatches open: super fun

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

The Duggler posted:

Mira has improved every map except favelas because it's just that bad

Favela murders my framerate.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

skit herre posted:

For 15€ I might just jump in with the starter edition. 4 characters seems pretty limited, though. I have no idea how long one has to play to earn the 12.500 renown per additional character.

You will also receive 600 R6 credit on which you can decide to spend on 1 DLC operator or the vanilla ones I believe.

Furthermore, every week there is a discount on 2 operators.

In the event that you decide to upgrade, Id advice against it. It's cheaper to buy rainbow6 credits and buy the remaining operators with it.

Every other cost type is the same whether it be the regular or starter edition. DLC ops, attachments, skins etc..
Once you've unlocked every Vanilla ops on the starter edtion its basically as if you had the 60$ version of the game.

You can also buy the season pass with your starter edition which will unlock all YEAR2 operators once they are available.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hard, psyops are prohibited by ToS, right?

Anything that fits in the ''Clancyverse'' might appear at some point.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Yacht almost always ends up being a huge firefight I don't know how people don't enjoy it.

PTFO

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
So it looks like if you do fuse charges now without breaking the window glass first the breaking glass kills the launcher after one grenade. I keep having the fuse launchers poo poo out after one charge since this patch.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

So it looks like if you do fuse charges now without breaking the window glass first the breaking glass kills the launcher after one grenade. I keep having the fuse launchers poo poo out after one charge since this patch.

Ah, so that's what it is. At least it's not too hard to get around of.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://streamable.com/4cswq

I'd rather play Yacht a thousand times in a row than play Favelas once

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I like Favelas a lot less after they put out a map with the same layout but better, which also doesn't kill my frames. You know the map. The traditional Japanese house with paper walls... called Skyscraper.
I also appreciate Yacht more because it is nowhere as bad as the new worst map University.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Yacht, skyscraper, and Favelas are all the worst map. gently caress them forever.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lol disliking skyscraper

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Lol disliking skyscraper
I just phase out thinking about it, which doesn't happen even with Border that no one ever mentions or discusses.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Like 20 hours of game play each. If you play as much as me you'd have the base cast in like... Half a year.

Oh boy, that's a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This went on for 40 seconds straight. Hard you should make them implement a rule that gives an 8 hour ban for every use of a slur.

• Locked thread