Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HIS is a planned event in the same way TI3 is. You block off a Saturday afternoon, order pizza, and really dig into your roles.

A reprint is due this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Holy crap, just got a tracking notice -- OST is on it's way! Finally, a kickstarter that has come through. Somebody pinch me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So according to ASL Journal #12, the next reprint should be Italians (+ Desert Rules and "Soldiers of the Negus"), then the French.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
GMT has put up the first article actually describing the gameplay of Ancient Civilisations of the Inner Sea.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

grognard.jpg

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Actually sounds pretty cool. Although I had high hopes for Genesis but that didn't come through.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Yooper posted:

grognard.jpg

What is the box to the right of the monitor?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
looks like a laser printer

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

rchandra posted:

What is the box to the right of the monitor?

Yah, I think a laser printer.

That dude does look pretty happy though, like he just pulled out the rug and the strategy he'd had planned on turn 1 actually worked.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Why has nobody told me Simmons is currently doing a game on Eylau?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

Thought we mentioned it...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lichtenstein posted:

First i've heard of it!

Now watch me buy 20 copies as an investment only for this to be the only Simmons game with multiple print runs

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Madness, thy name is ASL

I got tired of my Excel spreadsheet so I'm working on porting it over to a web app. Maybe I can get MMP to donate toward my carpal tunnel surgery.

http://coolcorn.xyz/asl

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

COOL CORN posted:

Madness, thy name is ASL

I got tired of my Excel spreadsheet so I'm working on porting it over to a web app. Maybe I can get MMP to donate toward my carpal tunnel surgery.

http://coolcorn.xyz/asl

Hey looks pretty cool. Are you entering the scenario info yourself, or is that stuff already loaded into a database somewhere?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How do I add stuff to it?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Yooper posted:

Yah, I think a laser printer.

That dude does look pretty happy though, like he just pulled out the rug and the strategy he'd had planned on turn 1 actually worked.

Thanks. For some reason the front of it looked like 5-1/4" floppy drives, but it seemed too cubic to be a computer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Hey looks pretty cool. Are you entering the scenario info yourself, or is that stuff already loaded into a database somewhere?

So far just manual entry, but they're stored in a database. Now that I have a decent amount of data in there, and I feel good about how things look, I'll start working on the UI so that I (and other people) can more easily add scenarios.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How do I add stuff to it?

You can't yet! I'm just making this for myself for the moment, but after things are functional I'll probably add a login system so people can track their own scenarios.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

So far just manual entry, but they're stored in a database. Now that I have a decent amount of data in there, and I feel good about how things look, I'll start working on the UI so that I (and other people) can more easily add scenarios.

You can't yet! I'm just making this for myself for the moment, but after things are functional I'll probably add a login system so people can track their own scenarios.

But I have like a billion scenarios and I don't care about tracking them all because it'll literally just be a giant list of "Number of plays: 0"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

It counts as a play if I do it solo, though, right?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So I'm reading through the Plan Orange Strategy guide in c3i 30. Apparently, me and Tek were playing it all wrong by trying to assault Japanese controlled arshalls and Carolines. Maybe it's better for the US to just establish a goddamn forward base at Wake. I thought the rules didn't allow that? Anyway, apparently that's the hip and cool thing to do.

I still find the naval battles far, far too swingy in a way EOTS isn't, though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It was the age of battleships though, so all it took was a handful of well placed shots and a fleet becomes supremely crippled. I dunno if that's how it works out in game, but it's not suuuuuper crazy that it works out in such a manner.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Lord Frisk posted:

It was the age of battleships though, so all it took was a handful of well placed shots and a fleet becomes supremely crippled. I dunno if that's how it works out in game, but it's not suuuuuper crazy that it works out in such a manner.

The problem with Plan Orange is that the decisive naval battles at the end of the game (that the losing side always tries to get) are always decided based on a dice roll or two. It just feel soooo ultimately unsatisfying. And yes, the lethality is lower than in EOTS (most units have attack factors that are lower than their defence factors, unlike in EOTS), but that does leave you feeling a bit short changed when you're the Japanese, you've repulsed the US attack, but the goddamn Yankees win a big naval battle to cripple your fleet.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Man, gently caress you guys. Now I want to clip all my counters. :( I have all of SPQR, Where Eagles Dare, Blitzkrieg Legend to clip.......

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Got in a Lyft last night and there was a Fallout bobblehead on the dashboard, so I started talking about games with the driver. He said he and his friends like playing Risk even though they find the game itself pretty tedious. They concentrate entirely on metagaming politics. So I preached the Good News of COIN and he got very excited about Cuba Libre in particular.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You're doing God's work, my friend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
About to start labeling and sorting coin envelopes so I can move my ASL counters into them and free up my Planos for other games.

I swear I'm not going to buy any more Plano boxes.

edit-- lol, I just checked the numbers, I'll need nearly 400 envelopes just for the German/Russian/American/British AFVs. YIKES.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yuck, plano boxes :barf:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yuck, plano boxes :barf:

I used to disagree, but since I figured out how to do foam core all my planos kind of drive me crazy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hozan for life

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So I've been categorizing my wargames collection, and by god do I have some unbalanced poo poo in it. I own one (ONE) Eastern Front game. Out of my total collection of over 100.

I've also looked through the list of wargames and there are not that many games that actually depict Operational Eastern front stuff. Sure, there's plenty of tactical stuff (Conflict of Heroes, ASL etc.), but that doesn't really float my boat. Goons, help a brother out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I mean, OCS goes without saying :v:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

I mean, OCS goes without saying :v:

I'm not loving buying case Blue for you you bastard.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

tomdidiot posted:

So I've been categorizing my wargames collection, and by god do I have some unbalanced poo poo in it. I own one (ONE) Eastern Front game. Out of my total collection of over 100.

I've also looked through the list of wargames and there are not that many games that actually depict Operational Eastern front stuff. Sure, there's plenty of tactical stuff (Conflict of Heroes, ASL etc.), but that doesn't really float my boat. Goons, help a brother out.

What differentiates operational from strategic?

The Russian Campaign is a classic. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of newer titles, but it's really fun and imo still holds up.

Does No Retreat! count? I don't like the counter density and hex scale, but it's a game you can probably play with those that are less inclined to grognard.

I think Victory Roads is supposed to be good (haven't tried it myself) and it's probably an "operational" scale game.

And yeah, of course there is OCS as well as the EastFront block games, both of which I want to get really badly.

I've been wondering if A Victory Lost/A Victory Denied is worth adding to my collection. I want to get the aforementioned OCS/block stuff, first, though.

tomdidiot posted:

I'm not loving buying case Blue for you you bastard.

LOL

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Finster Dexter posted:

What differentiates operational from strategic?

The Russian Campaign is a classic. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of newer titles, but it's really fun and imo still holds up.

Yeah, I'm going to be watching the GMT release carefully and see how it holds up to reviews.

quote:

Does No Retreat! count? I don't like the counter density and hex scale, but it's a game you can probably play with those that are less inclined to grognard.
I am not a huge fan of the no retreat series - the counerblow thing is all well and good, but I feel it's more game than history.

quote:

I think Victory Roads is supposed to be good (haven't tried it myself) and it's probably an "operational" scale game.
Yeah, I probably should have picked up Victory Roads rather than Liberty Roads. I think the one thing stopping me getting VR is that I don't find that part of the conflict as interesting - I think the interesting meat of Eastern Front stuff is 42/43/Early 44 - particularly between Uranus and Hube's Pocket.

quote:

And yeah, of course there is OCS as well as the EastFront block games, both of which I want to get really badly.
I'm eyeing up a used copy of Baltic Gap on BGG. And Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. The problem is most of the big Eastern Front titles are actually out of print! (Baltic Gap technically is, plus the monsters of Hube's Pocket and Case Blue) - though there is a promise that we'll get a couple more in the pipeline - Smolensk first, then Hungarian Rhapsody and Third Winter.

quote:

I've been wondering if A Victory Lost/A Victory Denied is worth adding to my collection. I want to get the aforementioned OCS/block stuff, first, though.
I should probably just bite the bullet and buy AVL to introduce newbies to the hobby. It seems simple, it's interesting and apparently very easy to teach. Might go for it > Baltic Gap, I think.

In any case, I should embargo my Western/Med Front purchases until I get some more eastern front stuff.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

tomdidiot posted:

I think operational is the vaguest scale because it can range from counters representing a company to a division but A Victory Lost/Denied are both pretty solid and right in that wheelhouse. If you have 200 spare hours go ahead and buy The Dark Valley for a division-scale treatment of the entire Eastern Front (don't actually do this)

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

tomdidiot posted:

GMT has the East Front System. Later games might even still be available!

They also have Ukraine '43 if you're looking for a non-series option.

Avalanche Press produced some like Red Parachutes, Red Steel, and Blood on the Snow back in the day that were well received and could probably be had for a song.

Clash of Arms also has/had a couple series: https://clashofarms.com/spark.html
https://clashofarms.com/ww-mercy.html

...vagaries of scale not-withstanding

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was planning on picking up A Victory Lost to get my brother used to H&C, it looks like a good fit.

Is there any particular reason to go for Guderian's Bltizkrieg II or Blitzkrieg Legend outside of a preferring one conflict to the other? I have RE and Tunisia II OCS wise.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Triskelli posted:

I'm an old fan of Diplomacy but I've been stuck with a board game group that prefers euro-style worker placement games. Thankfully we've also been getting in almost weekly games of Twilight Imperium III for about two months now. And as awesome as that is (we've just picked up the first expansion, but we've been using expansion strategy cards for a long time now), I'm really starting to get sick of the military strategy. Warrior Knights seems like a great replacement, but wow that thing is ten years old now. Are there any games that really manage to have fun but groggy military strategy for 3-8 players that've come out since 2007?

Struggle of Empires? It's a Wallace design about colonial wars during the 18th century, 3-7 players, but it has Euro mechanics like bidding for who you're in alliance with each turn and limited numbers of actions. It's also my favorite game of all time.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

T-Bone posted:

Is there any particular reason to go for Guderian's Bltizkrieg II or Blitzkrieg Legend outside of a preferring one conflict to the other? I have RE and Tunisia II OCS wise.

GB2 is an insanely huge game while even the full campaign in Blitzkrieg Legend is "only" 2 and a half maps and 13 turns long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone know of good modern games, preferably mid-weight, about tactical combat on the Panzer Leader scale- ie more zoomed out than ASL but still on tactical scale?