Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Epi Lepi posted:

He said Force Awakens, not Force and Destiny.

Ha! ok nvm then! Guess I was still a bit groggy when I read that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In a couple weeks I'll be running a one shot while our DnD DM is out of town. One of my players has played before when I ran the Edge intro pack adventure while the rest of the party has never played before. How is the Force Awakens intro pack? I plan to bring all the premade characters from the other three intro packs and let them pick and choose. I would like to just run Edge again since I know it but I don't want to bore the one player.

I found that the adventure in the Force Awakens intro pack was kind of a mess, the characters aren't given a strong motivation to follow the set path other than "get off Jakku", it also shadows the movie too closely i felt.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In a couple weeks I'll be running a one shot while our DnD DM is out of town. One of my players has played before when I ran the Edge intro pack adventure while the rest of the party has never played before. How is the Force Awakens intro pack? I plan to bring all the premade characters from the other three intro packs and let them pick and choose. I would like to just run Edge again since I know it but I don't want to bore the one player.

I wouldn't bring the Force and Destiny characters, but the other two sets would work just fine. The Awakens pack isn't quite as good as the others but it's still a good adventure.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will probably end up buying Force Awakens even if I don't run it, for those sweet tokens and extra dice. Maybe I'll just check with the player who has already played the EotE beginner and see what she remembers/change some things.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I will probably end up buying Force Awakens even if I don't run it, for those sweet tokens and extra dice. Maybe I'll just check with the player who has already played the EotE beginner and see what she remembers/change some things.

Does it... does it come with a Poe Dameron token? I'm asking for a friend.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Does it... does it come with a Poe Dameron token? I'm asking for a friend.

:shrug:

I've made my own tokens with a circle cutter, thin cardboard and a glue stick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The only film characters repped in the tokens are Phasma, the head of the red target armor gangsters, and the junker riding the cyborg dewback.

If you like ace pilots, you can make a token out of my Edge character! He is like Poe but has a special "super-pilot serum."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The only film characters repped in the tokens are Phasma, the head of the red target armor gangsters, and the junker riding the cyborg dewback.

If you like ace pilots, you can make a token out of my Edge character! He is like Poe but has a special "super-pilot serum."

You inhale Booster Blue. It's a type of paint.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Ah. I am used to the icon from the defunct MMO that depicted an auto-injector thing, but that's even better.

And more convenient for a quick huff in the cockpit of a headhunter or whatever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Clearly you've never met a drug addicted Ace pilot :shepface:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Fuzz posted:

It's a type of paint.

That is what he tells the Imperial Customs officers, anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Ah. I am used to the icon from the defunct MMO that depicted an auto-injector thing, but that's even better.

And more convenient for a quick huff in the cockpit of a headhunter or whatever.

It's a spray can.

Finster Dexter posted:

That is what he tells the Imperial Customs officers, anyway.

Yeah, you could totally disguise it as just some spray paint. The beauty of it being that if you tried to spray it on something, it would actually spray blue.

Only problem is your nose would turn blue from using it a lot... oh well, more reason to play a Chiss or Duros! :getin:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
How would you guys stat a Miralukan species for Force and Destiny?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Savidudeosoo posted:

How would you guys stat a Miralukan species for Force and Destiny?

Straight 2s, blind, FR 1 (doesn't stack with any FR granted from taking a career or specialization) free Sense basic power, 90 xp, wt/st 10+.

The "free" FR isn't really gonna imbalance anything in an explicitly F&D game.

E: if anything this is a bit underpowered in an fnd game, add a free rank of discipline or free sense upgrade to taste maybe.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 10, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Also an automatic setback die on visual perception rolls. They can eventually stat out Sense to overcome it, but if they don't they always are at a disadvantage.

They'd probably get a setback on Charm and Negotiation, too, since they're always covering their eyes, but that'd be a GM discretion thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Out there,wackadoo idea:

Give them permanent nasty Blinded criticale effect (and some bullshit like treat blinded crits as the next step down) and a species trait that lets them commit a force die to see through the force and ignore it...

Then let the FR from species stack with initial FR from careers/specs. So they can free up the other FD and be crazy good with the force out the gate, at the cost of outright blinding themselves to be FR2 until they re-commit.

E:then contrive to staple one of Thrawns dumb force-sink lizards to them and have a laff.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 10, 2017

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So last weekend I ran the F&D intro adventure with 2 of my coworkers and it worked pretty well. This coming weekend I plan on running the AoR adventure from the rulebook, The Perlemian Haul. Reading it, there's a lot of potential for combat with not much in the way of downtime in between. It seems to be written for 3-5 players, which is basically Hard Mode for just 2. What changes should I make to alter the balance here? I was thinking just cutting minion soak/wounds in half. Maybe be super liberal with boost die?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I recently started adapting Perlemian Haul for our party but it seems to me that a large portion of the combat can be skipped with the proper skill checks. A ton of the other stuff like the random events in the vents can be avoided by not rolling a despair or using the default difficulties for checks, which are all purple dice for the most part.

Haven't gotten to the last chapter yet, though.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Just got some of the books and have some questions. Particularly looking at an Edge campaign - maybe starting with the beginner box adventure and premades, then retconning to full character creation after the first session.

1. If a melee-NPC engages a blaster-rifle-PC in melee, is there anything rules-wise preventing the PC from just using his maneuver to run to short range and remove the penalties for firing while engaged? Is this best handled by adding 1-2 setback dice in the attack pool (it's difficult to shoot the stormtrooper while you're backing away)?

2. Any good methods for keeping track of initiative? It seems like it would take a ton of ink and be easy to make mistakes. Considering using cards to tap/untap every round to keep track of which PCs and NPCs have gone.

3. Is there a compendium of species statlines somewhere or guidelines for quickly creating one? In case we don't want to be limited to the ones in the Edge core book.

4. Are there any guidelines for combat encounter building? I didn't see any in the books and I'm afraid of throwing too much or too little at the PCs.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
2. We use a sheet of paper with numbers lined vertically and slot in nametags at the appropriate spot. When someone has acted, mark (with a pencil and eraser) or flip the tag upside down or something, then unflip them all at the end of the round.

3. We use this page but unfortunately, the unclickable ones don't show the species bonuses or starting WT/ST.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

esquilax posted:

Just got some of the books and have some questions. Particularly looking at an Edge campaign - maybe starting with the beginner box adventure and premades, then retconning to full character creation after the first session.

1. If a melee-NPC engages a blaster-rifle-PC in melee, is there anything rules-wise preventing the PC from just using his maneuver to run to short range and remove the penalties for firing while engaged? Is this best handled by adding 1-2 setback dice in the attack pool (it's difficult to shoot the stormtrooper while you're backing away)?

2. Any good methods for keeping track of initiative? It seems like it would take a ton of ink and be easy to make mistakes. Considering using cards to tap/untap every round to keep track of which PCs and NPCs have gone.

3. Is there a compendium of species statlines somewhere or guidelines for quickly creating one? In case we don't want to be limited to the ones in the Edge core book.

4. Are there any guidelines for combat encounter building? I didn't see any in the books and I'm afraid of throwing too much or too little at the PCs.

1. I'm not an expert on the combat rules, but I think what you have there is exactly how it works. There are not "attacks of opportunity" or anything like that. If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with setback dice since a combat maneuver assumes that's being taken into account, imho.

2. I usually use my ipad and just have a notepad up and as PC's give me their init scores, I add them into a list in order of how good the roll was, then I add the NPC rolls. You don't have to track anything other than what the slots are. So, when I run combat I just say "Ok, you guys have 3 slots right now then the Stormtrooper Sergeant gets to go. What do you do?" The players know when they have/have not gone in a round, usually.

3. Check out the Adversary Decks that have been released. They are really good. You can also check out the swrpg index, but the cards are a lot handier. http://swrpg.viluppo.net/adversaries/adversaries/

4. You might have to use some trial and error here. Use the Beginner game encounters as a starting point, I guess. Be aware that a large enough squad of minions like Stormtroopers can be extremely deadly. I'll usually set my squad size depending on how challenging I want the attack rolls to be. I usually build the combat encounters around the minion squads, and then throw a few rivals in for flavor. I save a nemesis for major encounters and sometimes I make those ridiculously difficult on purpose to encourage the party to run away or whatever and give them something to look forward to like "ok now I got my thermal detonators I'm ready to face Kanjiklub" or whatever.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

esquilax posted:

On the FFG Forums they tend to have threads full of links to random resources and sheets. Way back when Edge came out I found an initiative tracker sheet that was meant to be printed and laminated and then you draw on it with dry erase markers. It worked pretty well for me when I used to have an in person group.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

esquilax posted:

the setback here is they don't get to use their free maneuver to Aim

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

esquilax posted:

1. Nope. But at least the blaster guy is using the maneuver for moving instead of aiming. Also if the melee guy knocks down the blaster guy it would take a separate maneuver to get up.

2. In practice it isn't so hard. Players know when they've gone. And you can make NPCs always go in the same order. My gm just used two sets of colored tokens, one for PCs, one for enemies, and shifted them as that slot was used.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so my group is going to a planet that has a large swoop bike and/or podracing circuit on it (still designing it. Part street circuit, part sort of like Monte Carlo I guess? Except not snowy), which a couple of them will want to go on, to win some cash.

However I'm not sure about how I'll go about handling the racing itself. It'll feature some 'friendly' sabotage in the name of healthy competition, etc. (think Ep1 with the tusken raiders, as well as Sebulba sabotaging Quadinaros' pod) so it won't exactly be a clean race for any party involved, but the thing is, I'm not sure about how I'll go about the turn structure, etc. Like, one player will be the pilot and the others (aside from the astromech droid player...still unsure what to do with them, really. I suppose I could allow for a slightly larger, perhaps modified vehicle that has an astro slot, but as a result is a bit slower/less nimble?) will likely position themselves at various points in the track to try and disrupt the other racers.
I guess the snipers/saboteurs will be easy enough to handle, but I'm not sure about the pilot. Like, how regularly should I be getting them to make piloting checks and other actions? At this stage I'm thinking each 'segment' of the track will have one piloting check, plus the option for another action - whether that's perception to look around for a shortcut, or to lob a grenade/shoot at a competitor/environmental hazard, or perhaps as simply a kind of 'gain the advantage' action to better position themselves and effectively 'augment' their piloting roll.

Also, if anyone has any track ideas, that would be greatly appreciated! (or even if there are any sample tracks I can look at to try and add further complexity to my own, as it's meant to be a somewhat dangerous one)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
The Jewel of Yavin adventure's first chapter is all about a speeder race (including opportunities for sabotage), so I'd bet it has some material you can steal. I own the book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Has anyone here run Mask of the Pirate Queen? I was thinking of picking it up, but I can almost guarantee my group would rather ally themselves with the Pirate Queen than hunt her down. Is that presented as a viable option in the book?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jimmeeee posted:

Has anyone here run Mask of the Pirate Queen? I was thinking of picking it up, but I can almost guarantee my group would rather ally themselves with the Pirate Queen than hunt her down. Is that presented as a viable option in the book?

The final decision of the campaign I believe is taking up the Pirate Queens offer OR selling her to her enemies OR killing her, taking her mask and assuming her position with none the wiser.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

kingcom posted:

The final decision of the campaign I believe is taking up the Pirate Queens offer OR selling her to her enemies OR killing her, taking her mask and assuming her position with none the wiser.

Mostly. If you don't join up with her, though, your chances of taking her alive are explicitly slim, so it's join OR finish the contracted mission by turning in her body and the mask OR take over for her.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

Mostly. If you don't join up with her, though, your chances of taking her alive are explicitly slim, so it's join OR finish the contracted mission by turning in her body and the mask OR take over for her.

I mean you're playing in a star wars game, I feel like its pretty obvious you never tell people the odds.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Grabbed a copy of No Distintegrations this weekend and FFG continues to just have some of the best 'trigger a character idea' illustrations. Would play or run a game for Skip Tracer Grandma.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Grabbed a copy of No Distintegrations this weekend and FFG continues to just have some of the best 'trigger a character idea' illustrations. Would play or run a game for Skip Tracer Grandma.

My favorite one so far is Noir Detective Quarren Gunslinger from Fly Casual.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

kingcom posted:

I mean you're playing in a star wars game, I feel like its pretty obvious you never tell people the odds.

Star Wars references aside, if you're running the adventure as printed, the party probably won't be able to take her alive.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

homullus posted:

Star Wars references aside, if you're running the adventure as printed, the party probably won't be able to take her alive.

I've not run it but by taking her alive you mean capturing her and handing her over and then taking the reward or just physically taking her alive?

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

kingcom posted:

I've not run it but by taking her alive you mean capturing her and handing her over and then taking the reward or just physically taking her alive?

Physically taking her alive, because she swallows some powerful poison the instant she's downed. It's a series of hard or worse Medicine checks every few minutes to keep her alive, so unless the party happens to have a powerful antidote on hand (something I personally feel is worth more than flipping a Destiny point after the adventure's climax) she's dead.

Mind you, the module doesn't punish punish the players for bringing back her corpse, nor does it offer extra rewards for a live capture, but that's really your call as the GM.

I'm planning on running this for a large (8 player) group starting Wednesday. Hopefully they like it!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Can my character weild TWO vibroknives, one in each hand?"
"Sure. You just upgrade the skill check difficulty by one and can spend advantage to trigger an extra hit."
(immediately after he is dropped into battle a stormtrooper shoots his guy and shakes out a critical hit that cripples one of his arms.)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Can my character weild TWO vibroknives, one in each hand?"
"Sure. You just upgrade the skill check difficulty by one and can spend advantage to trigger an extra hit."
(immediately after he is dropped into battle a stormtrooper shoots his guy and shakes out a critical hit that cripples one of his arms.)

Hello darkness my old friend

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, he WAS taking two knives to a gun fight. :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dual-wield in general feels like a wonky abstraction. I'm shooting more, so I hit less, but sometimes, when I do hit, I hit double.

Also: Because of Soak values on things being so large (which is just weird in a 'Star Wars' way) do they soak each hit separately? I'm trying to work out what the point of say, dual wielding Blaster Pistols (which is a cool thing to do, purely for 'baller' reasons) when the optimum seems to be 'take the biggest gun you can find to overwhelm their Soak'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shockeh posted:

Also: Because of Soak values on things being so large (which is just weird in a 'Star Wars' way) do they soak each hit separately? I'm trying to work out what the point of say, dual wielding Blaster Pistols (which is a cool thing to do, purely for 'baller' reasons) when the optimum seems to be 'take the biggest gun you can find to overwhelm their Soak'

I'm not sure this is ever mentioned at all in the rules, but in my sorta loosey-goosey GM style, I'd probably spotaneously rule that a player firing dual pistols at a target, and hitting with both shots, would have to overcome soak with the first shot but then the second shot goes straight through. Though this probably going too far in the other direction and making dual-wielding OP, so I dunno.

Or maybe splitting the soak in half and applying it to each shot. I dunno, I'm lovely at RPG math.