Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nioh is challenging me about as much as Bloodborne challenged me on the first playthrough. Which is a but surprising because while Bloodborne techniques don't really carry over, I learned a lot about learning tells and observing boss dynamics.

I've died just over 200 times, with each boss except the first two (london and slave ship) taking 20+ attempts.

The gameplay is very crisp and clean. When I eventually learn what I'm supposed to be doing with a boss, it feels like a veil has been lifted. So yeah, I imagine that for people who intuit what they should be doing much quicker than me, the game doesn't seem as challenging.

There's not much of a fix for that, except either ng+ plus, or starting over and progressing quicker. If you don't do any farming or grinding at all, and only go through each area once, surely you'll hit bosses at a lower level than before.

It's definitely the type of game where I feel like asoiring to stylish fighting is a better solution than self-imposed handicaps. A DMC type style system wouldn't be terribly out of place.

There are lots of encounters where I can win sloppily or elegantly, taking little to no damage either way. Thr only difference us whether my ki bar is full or empty at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Re: Umi-bozu, I don't recommend dipping your sword in the braziers. The flames auto-kill the adds that the boss occasionally summons, but using them on your weapon puts them out (until you respawn).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I skipped most of the act 1 and 2 submissions now I'm underleveled for act 4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FisheyStix posted:

I can actually do it when I'm paying attention. My current strategy is to use a couple flame talismans then dip my sword in the bonfires. The Holy flame seems to do more damage than my fire talismans, so I save them for later.

I've even gotten him to his second form a few times. My problem, I think, is that I don't stay aggressive and he eventually tags me with something. Maybe I aught to just dump damage into him nonstop.

At phase two just lock on him and play ring around the rosie. If you keep running in circles he can't really hit you, he'll try to attack and miss and then you can beat him up. Running is even more effective than dodging since you don't have to time it.

I guess if you're in heavy armor running may be an issue though. Use some water to up your Ki regen?

HellCopter posted:

Re: Umi-bozu, I don't recommend dipping your sword in the braziers. The flames auto-kill the adds that the boss occasionally summons, but using them on your weapon puts them out (until you respawn).

There's only two adds, I just kill the first as soon as the fight begins and ignore the second since it shows up during phase 2.

Also left my braziers up the whole time and they didn't do poo poo about the adds so IDK about that. Like I think there is something there but it didn't work well for me.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Deified Data posted:

I was gonna ask if I was the only one rolling in amrita and generally going into each mission 10 levels higher than recommended. I'm not grinding and I'm not trying to scum my way through the game, I just like exploring and doing side content.
I'm level 39 on mission 3 because I got fed up of the bat boss and just brute-forced my way through with anti-paralysis pills and lightning talismans. The Twilight missions were great for gear, or just levelling up what I already had via soul-matching.

A combination of re-runs to farm elixirs, submissions, twilight missions, and killing a bunch of lower-level phantoms to get a feel for the AI left me with hilarious amounts of Amrita and prestige bonuses as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I was gonna ask if I was the only one rolling in amrita and generally going into each mission 10 levels higher than recommended. I'm not grinding and I'm not trying to scum my way through the game, I just like exploring and doing side content.

I'm content just leveling up every time I get the chance to, even if it makes some parts too easy. I still died to the second level a lot despite being overleveled for it. Souls had the same problem. So long as they balance progression with the assumption that the player will lose all their souls/blood/amrita a couple times an area, and you're anything like me and always go and reclaim that poo poo, you will always be overleveled.

Honestly, as far as I can tell, equipment gives you a bigger leap in your power than levels do anyway. And if nothing else, you are probably going to roll into NG+ about 40-50 levels under the recommended levels for those missions. NG+ missions start at level 160. (But again, equipment is more important, and people are progressing pretty far through NG+ so far just at level 120-130 or so after gearing up a bit.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

I second this. 3 adds makes phase 2 really hard. No adds makes it a joke.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

HellCopter posted:

If you imbue your blade with the braziers the adds go down in one hit and they only do chip damage anyway... Autokilled adds are nothing compared to the damage boost an imbued blade gives you against the boss.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The chip damage is less important than the fact that they smack you around and generally get in your way as you try to avoid the boss's attacks.
I also went into the fight with a full 20 flame talismans (all picked up, never crafted) so I didn't need the brazier buffs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress are you killing the adds in 1 hit? With my bade on fire, in high stance, with a weapon damage of 270, it takes me 4 hits to kill an add.

Edit: somtimes they randomly pop in 2 hits, but I could never figure out why.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I think the difficulty definitely picks up later on but a huge part of it is whether or not you're using the spear. It's so broken compared to everything else that you can trivialize pretty much every difficult encounter.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Snak posted:

Nioh is challenging me about as much as Bloodborne challenged me on the first playthrough. Which is a but surprising because while Bloodborne techniques don't really carry over, I learned a lot about learning tells and observing boss dynamics.

I've died just over 200 times, with each boss except the first two (london and slave ship) taking 20+ attempts.

The gameplay is very crisp and clean. When I eventually learn what I'm supposed to be doing with a boss, it feels like a veil has been lifted. So yeah, I imagine that for people who intuit what they should be doing much quicker than me, the game doesn't seem as challenging.

You can kind of stumble into a build that will give you almost 100% living weapon uptime, and if you managed to pick the right spells early on (*especially* sloth, which trivializes almost every boss), you'd probably think the game is way easier than if you tried to be a honorable bushido samuraiman. The base combat is, I think, way less unforgiving than a souls game, but you can also straight up break the game in a way that isn't usually possible in a souls game until NG+. So it's both way easier and way harder than a souls game.

On an unrelated note: Has anyone found a particular good map for farming gold/items to disassemble? I threw all my gold and spirit iron chunks into reforging last night, and now I'm completely broke and out of reforging items.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Phoix posted:

I think the difficulty definitely picks up later on but a huge part of it is whether or not you're using the spear. It's so broken compared to everything else that you can trivialize pretty much every difficult encounter.

Seems I've heard this about every weapon. Later in game when you have most/all skills unlocked for a given wep (and by proxy understanding each stance's combos) everything feels strong.

Also the high stance pull move on kusarigama just destroys revenants (and human enemies in general I guess). I've yet to fight one regardless of how "difficult" the revenant rating that wasn't crushed by high stance pull -> light attack combo. I've started just using dual katanas because it's more challenging/fun.

Fat Aggression fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't see many people calling katanas or axes overpowered or broken, just kusarigama, spears, and (more rarely) dual katanas. Maybe that's the tier list, then? Kusarigama and spears are the best, followed by dual katanas, and then axes and katanas are for scrubs or something I dunno who cares I like my sword

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

How the gently caress are you killing the adds in 1 hit? With my bade on fire, in high stance, with a weapon damage of 270, it takes me 4 hits to kill an add.

The mini-bozus have a thing where they expose their skull core and then they take super critical damage, kinda like when the oni guys fall on their faces. If you hit them at that point they die super fast.

Unfortunately them going into that stance is kinda random RNG and based on which attacks they use and poo poo. But often if you just blitz them you can do it.

I kinda hate fighting those guys more than anything.

Harrow posted:

I don't see many people calling katanas or axes overpowered or broken, just kusarigama, spears, and (more rarely) dual katanas. Maybe that's the tier list, then? Kusarigama and spears are the best, followed by dual katanas, and then axes and katanas are for scrubs or something I dunno who cares I like my sword

Alternatively, dual katanas and spears are for tryhards and single katana is for honorable bushido samurai

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Kusarigama and spears are the best

Yes yesss gently caress swords forever

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my biggest beef with the slime boss was rng related. If he used his beam a lot, phase one was over in 30 seconds, but sometimes he didn't use it at all. Not a big deal, but it just felt kinda random.

Edit: hahahaha
"Weapons and armor were precious assrts to these masterless samurai, and they only carried items that suited them perfectly.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 10, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

Guess I dumped more levels into my damage modifier than is maybe typical. That's normally the first order of business in Souls, so I did the same thing here.

The two hit pop is probably whether or not you're hitting them while their core is exposed. The axe is helped me there because it nukes ki/whatever-the-yokai-version-of-ki-is-called quickly, making them vulnerable rapidly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I really want to like this game, but I'm struggling because it requires a lot more tight timing than Dark Souls games, and a lot less "patient calculation".

This isn't a bad thing, but I have severe carpal tunnel and until I get that fixed in a few months, trying to get ki pulses out or land kicks while all my fingers are numb is proving difficult...

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

CJacobs posted:

I nominate ninjas for The Worst Enemy Type.

"So okay, we have an enemy that does a lot of damage, can chain combos infinitely, and has poison shurikens and fire arrows that both do DOT effects if they hit you in rapid succession. Also they can block your attacks. This is a standard enemy type that you'll see a lot in ninja-type areas."

"And to compensate we'll make them slow with a wind-up on their attacks, right?"

"Huh? Oh, the game shipped yesterday."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbKM2cEyVU patience

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Fat Aggression posted:

Seems I've heard this about every weapon. Later in game when you have most/all skills unlocked for a given wep (and by proxy understanding each stance's combos) everything feels strong.

Also the high stance pull move on kusarigama just destroys revenants (and human enemies in general I guess). I've yet to fight one regardless of how "difficult" the revenant rating that wasn't crushed by high stance pull -> light attack combo. I've started just using dual katanas because it's more challenging/fun.

I think the big problem with spears is that their damage scales with the same stat that gives you health. The moveset also lets you stunlock almost every humanoid boss in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Guess I dumped more levels into my damage modifier than is maybe typical. That's normally the first order of business in Souls, so I did the same thing here.

I have 29 heart at level 44.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spunder boss was laughable with ninjitsu. Couple giant fire bombs and a living weapon. Circle to 5 seconds. Burned to death.

Is there a dark souls style soft cap on levels? I bet nobodies done the math yet.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

So I had built a sword kusarigama ninja, and was regretting it because I thought the sword move set was lacking.......

Then I started using the Iai skills and holy poo poo. The damage that ability puts out is comical.

Using the mid combo where you flip back and go straight into Iai stance on a ki burst is amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes yesss gently caress swords forever

Yeah, as much as I'm kind of making fun of that hypothetical tier list, it's hard to argue with the idea that spears and kusarigama are the most versatile weapons. Spears have exactly one downside that I can see: in tight spaces, their length means you're going to bounce your swings off walls more than with most other types of weapons. The counter to that, of course, is just to switch to low stance, which is also what you do with kusarigama in tight spaces, where the wide swings won't work.

In every other situation, the huge range both weapons offer just makes them amazing. Spears are a little slower than katanas, but it's worth it, and kusarigama are just ridiculously fast. If you're using a weapon buff build, either magic or ninjutsu, you owe it to yourself to keep a kusarigama equipped because of how quickly they build up status effects. One low-stance combo is usually all it takes.

I still really enjoy using single katanas--I'm focusing my build mostly on Heart, Body, Magic, and Spirit in roughly equal measure--but I can't deny the superiority of spears. Maybe once I start getting really good at timing iai quickdraws and sword's cool wake-up attacks I'll revise that opinion.

Phoix posted:

I think the big problem with spears is that their damage scales with the same stat that gives you health. The moveset also lets you stunlock almost every humanoid boss in the game.

Honestly, it's the move set more than anything. Every stat gives you 10 Life per point. After 11 Body, you get another 15 Life per point (so 25 per point total), while Stamina gives you another 5 per point (so 15 per point total). Most builds are going to level Body to 15ish or so anyway just for armor, and if they don't, they're leveling Stamina for heavy armor (and probably axes, if you're using heavy armor, since they scale well with both heavy armor stats), so spears scaling with Body isn't the worst thing about them. They're just so drat strong, have such great range, and are so versatile that it's hard to see how any other weapon can compete.

Except kusarigama, of course. Learn how to use those and you'll be stacking multiple status effects on enemies and eating through their Life in record speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

So I had built a sword kusarigama ninja, and was regretting it because I thought the sword move set was lacking.......

Then I started using the Iai skills and holy poo poo. The damage that ability puts out is comical.

Using the mid combo where you flip back and go straight into Iai stance on a ki burst is amazing.

poo poo, I gotta level up those iai skills. I've been hesitant because I'm worried I won't be able to pull off the timing for charging them up, but if I can spice up my sword game I might feel less like spears are the unbeatable god-kings of all weapons.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I have a hard time when the bigger yokai like cyclopses are in groups with the spear because of the longer attack animations, of course I could just go into low stance and whittle them down

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I hope this game never gets PVP so we can forgo the whole "Cancer Builds!1!!" hysteria that comes with games like this all together.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Axe is nice because in addition to a wide sweep and the ability to keep enemies ki at 0, it's second swing on medium or first on heavy lines up perfectly with yokai horns, so they're always debuffed and spend a lot of time stunned.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Harrow posted:

poo poo, I gotta level up those iai skills. I've been hesitant because I'm worried I won't be able to pull off the timing for charging them up, but if I can spice up my sword game I might feel less like spears are the unbeatable god-kings of all weapons.

The Iai skills are comical. At around level 50ish my normal strikes hit for 500ish. Iai hits for 2k or higher, depending on buffs. I've hit a 5k Iai strike while behind a boss while I was buffed up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Best part of iai is that if you use it right when someone's falling down you have enough time to Iai and then still stab them while they're down, it more than doubles execution damage

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I hope this game never gets PVP so we can forgo the whole "Cancer Builds!1!!" hysteria that comes with games like this all together.

They say it's getting PvP and to be honest I'm curious what it's going to look like.

It can't use level-based matchmaking, I don't think. Even the best armor has relatively low stat requirements and weapons have no stat requirements. And because you can use a Book of Reincarnation to level down if you want, there'd be nothing stopping someone from leveling to 200, farming the poo poo out of NG+ for insane gear, then leveling down to match with level 60 people and destroying them. But some sort of duel arena that normalizes levels and equipment might also not quite work, because even when a level 50 character and a level 200 player have similar numbers, the level 200 player will have had plenty of points to get a ton of onmyo magic and ninjutsu that the level 50 player might not have. And if they just straight-up don't let you use your own character (like treating PvP like the dojo missions, with set gear and items available) I think people would be really disappointed.

So who knows?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I used axes and spears for about 30 levels and axes just felt like a worse version of the spear. I didn't even really notice a significant damage increase and mid stance spears strong attack seemed to do as much ki damage as the axe.

It kind of sucks that almost all of the uniquely named weapons seem to be swords, I guess I'll have to do a sword play through at some point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I used axes and spears for about 30 levels and axes just felt like a worse version of the spear. I didn't even really notice a significant damage increase and mid stance spears strong attack seemed to do as much ki damage as the axe.

It kind of sucks that almost all of the uniquely named weapons seem to be swords, I guess I'll have to do a sword play through at some point.

There are some really cool unique spears, though I think many of them are later. The Red Demon Li and Warrior of the East sets have spears, for example.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I LOVE the random encounter coop. I do it between levels until I can level up.

Its like a random boss rush. You can't prepare. Good luck.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

They say it's getting PvP and to be honest I'm curious what it's going to look like.

It can't use level-based matchmaking, I don't think. Even the best armor has relatively low stat requirements and weapons have no stat requirements. And because you can use a Book of Reincarnation to level down if you want, there'd be nothing stopping someone from leveling to 200, farming the poo poo out of NG+ for insane gear, then leveling down to match with level 60 people and destroying them. But some sort of duel arena that normalizes levels and equipment might also not quite work, because even when a level 50 character and a level 200 player have similar numbers, the level 200 player will have had plenty of points to get a ton of onmyo magic and ninjutsu that the level 50 player might not have. And if they just straight-up don't let you use your own character (like treating PvP like the dojo missions, with set gear and items available) I think people would be really disappointed.

So who knows?

Yeah, when you spell it out like that I don't see how it happens, either. It almost feels like they're promising to include it because they feel like they have to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Any soft caps?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bombadilillo posted:

I LOVE the random encounter coop. I do it between levels until I can level up.

Its like a random boss rush. You can't prepare. Good luck.

I have never once got a successful connection to another person. :smith:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I have never once got a successful connection to another person. :smith:

Helping TheCrappening right now!

TheCrappening defeated a centipead.

Lots of water boss with not everything litand centipead boss calls for help.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Annath posted:

I really want to like this game, but I'm struggling because it requires a lot more tight timing than Dark Souls games, and a lot less "patient calculation".

This isn't a bad thing, but I have severe carpal tunnel and until I get that fixed in a few months, trying to get ki pulses out or land kicks while all my fingers are numb is proving difficult...

Do you have the living water skills? Lets dodge count as ki pulse so it makes it way easier.

If you really need to, there's ways you can build your character that just cheese the hell out of bosses. Certain magics will just stop bosses in their tracks.