Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Isn't this the same argument we run around in circles on every few months? The issue isn't total game time (as noted by the comparison to NFL game times), it's the pace during the game. Specifically, the time between pitches is what makes games feel slow.

Strict pitch clocks at all levels of the minor leagues seem the least intrusive way to address this. It would condition players to work faster (both pitchers and hitters) and the results would naturally percolate up to MLB over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
People who think baseball is boring aren't going to get excited that the same "boring" things are now happening at a quicker pace, though, imo. People who think baseball is boring don't like watching baseball, and that's fine :shrug:

I'd rather not take things from local softball and youth leagues and implement them at the MLB level.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bawfuls posted:

Isn't this the same argument we run around in circles on every few months? The issue isn't total game time (as noted by the comparison to NFL game times), it's the pace during the game. Specifically, the time between pitches is what makes games feel slow.

Strict pitch clocks at all levels of the minor leagues seem the least intrusive way to address this. It would condition players to work faster (both pitchers and hitters) and the results would naturally percolate up to MLB over time.

Football has an awful pace too, its just that they can cut away to commercial or a sideline report or something whenever nothing is happening. You can't exactly go to commercial in between pitches.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Footballs pace of play is even worse than baseball but they get away with that by playing 1/10 the number of games in a season. When you ask people to commit so much time to following baseball you can see why people are can be turned off, you can follow football with a lot less effort. On the flip side that's also part of why I love baseball I know I can come home any given night and watch my team play and it makes me feel more engaged seeing them every night.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tadashi posted:

Loria conned his way into Expos ownership after losing his bid to buy the Orioles (according to The Lords of the Realm, Angelos made one last bid and thought his group was going to lose right before Loria backed down) then buddied up to noted collusion fan Bud Selig in order to dump the Expos on MLB with a promise he'd get another shot at a team.

So I'm not super fond of Angelos as an owner (although I'm not sure how much of the team's cheapness is him and how much is Duquette being a fuckup), but holy poo poo, I'll take him over Loria any day. That was a hell of a bullet to dodge.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The 'runner on 2nd to start extras' rule has been implemented in international baseball rulesets for nearly a decade now.

Popete posted:

Footballs pace of play is even worse than baseball but they get away with that by playing 1/10 the number of games in a season. When you ask people to commit so much time to following baseball you can see why people are can be turned off, you can follow football with a lot less effort. On the flip side that's also part of why I love baseball I know I can come home any given night and watch my team play and it makes me feel more engaged seeing them every night.

The biggest reason why pace of play is an issue is that the length of games combined with the length of the season. There's no reason games can't go back to the 2:30/2:45 lengths that were common all the way up to 1990.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, baseball is never going to get the viewership of Football because of how long the season is. I love baseball, love the yankees and I still am only going to watch 30ish games a year out of 162. More if you count having a game on while I play video games or read a book, though I don't think that really counts. Asking people to sit down and follow a season when it lasts 6 months with a 1/3 of the teams out of any sort of contention after a 1/3 of that.

Football works because you can watch every game extremely easily. It's one day a week. You know everything about your team because you literally will not miss a second of play. There are going to be like 100-120 yankees games a year that I watch the highlights the day after, or read a boxscore, and I'm extremely content doing so. Most people are like that, even more extreme.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 10, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It's also kind of crappy if you're a fan of an out of market baseball team. The only time I ever see the Cardinals play is when they're the feature team on ESPN or playing the Braves or Cubs. This isn't really a problem with football since at the very least you can spend 3 hours every Sunday in a bar and see your team's full week of play.

I mean, I'm cutting the cord entirely soon, so it'll be even less, but you know.

The last time I had MLB.tv years ago, most Cards games were blacked out for me until they were off the air, and then you could only watch them by clicking a link that had the final score on the game-- is it any different now that they have single team plans?

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

I'm pro-pitch-clock if only for those situations where a fast runner is on first late in a close game, and the pitcher's concern about a stolen base causes him to step off a few times times between each pitch.

It's not the slowdown of the game that I mind, it's that every booth will eventually say "speed slows things down" and I hate it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Soul Glo posted:

It's also kind of crappy if you're a fan of an out of market baseball team. The only time I ever see the Cardinals play is when they're the feature team on ESPN or playing the Braves or Cubs. This isn't really a problem with football since at the very least you can spend 3 hours every Sunday in a bar and see your team's full week of play.

I mean, I'm cutting the cord entirely soon, so it'll be even less, but you know.

The last time I had MLB.tv years ago, most Cards games were blacked out for me until they were off the air, and then you could only watch them by clicking a link that had the final score on the game-- is it any different now that they have single team plans?

Wait if you live out of the Cardinals' market you should be able to watch every game, MLB only blacks out the national games or when they're playing in your market.

You can also use a proxy to get around the geolock even for local games.

I'm also 99% sure there's an option to hide all scores in the interface.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
anyone have a link to the mlbtv share thread?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soul Glo posted:

This is confusing, because you mention you are out of market for the Cardinals and then say that you were blacked out when you had MLB.tv. MLB.tv is fantastic for out of market fans (me), I can watch 80% of Cardinals games (I unfortunately live in between Milwaukee and Chicago, so those ~30 games get blacked out for me, but I can still find a way to watch). They should not be blacked out if you are truly out of market.

Also, 3 hours in a bar every Sunday sounds like a lot more money than splitting an MLB.tv membership for around $30.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The issue isn't money.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
51 days til men hit balls with sticks and it counts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is confusing, because you mention you are out of market for the Cardinals and then say that you were blacked out when you had MLB.tv. MLB.tv is fantastic for out of market fans (me), I can watch 80% of Cardinals games (I unfortunately live in between Milwaukee and Chicago, so those ~30 games get blacked out for me, but I can still find a way to watch). They should not be blacked out if you are truly out of market.

Also, 3 hours in a bar every Sunday sounds like a lot more money than splitting an MLB.tv membership for around $30.
out of market for the Cardinals may be in market for many of their frequent opponents

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm thankful I'm an out of market Cubs fan. But all the Brewers/Cubs games at blacked out which sucks. A lot of those games are sellouts so it's not like I can buy a drat ticket. And I can see all Cubs home games except when they're playing Milwaukee.

I'm glad I don't live in Iowa, though. I think the whole state is blacked out to 5 or 6 teams. Also because Iowa sucks.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

51 days til men hit balls with sticks and it counts.

WBC is in 24 days, actually

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This was like 4-5 years ago in Tennessee :shrug:

I just remember being disappointed that I dropped like $100 on it and it seemed like every time I sat down to watch a game, it was like "Nope."

I may be using "out of market" wrong; I just mean you're SoL here for baseball on tv if you don't watch Braves, Cubs or Reds games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Soul Glo posted:

I just remember being disappointed that I dropped like $100 on it and it seemed like every time I sat down to watch a game, it was like "Nope."

I may be using "out of market" wrong; I just mean you're SoL here for baseball on tv if you don't watch Braves, Cubs or Reds games.

I guess life is a lot harder for folks in the South/central-Midwest since the "market area" is huge, so I guess you get screwed by a lot of matchups.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Honestly, just purchase a VPN service like adfreetime or something and it will solve your issues. It's what I use to watch the Blues in eastern Kansas (ridiculous that they're in the St. Louis footprint).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

On the flip side that's also part of why I love baseball I know I can come home any given night and watch my team play and it makes me feel more engaged seeing them every night.

At first I read this as "more enraged" and that was pretty accurate until 2015.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Cheap rear end Astros are only #15 in revenue yet #2 in operating income

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soul Glo posted:

You must have been in northwest TN then. That's "in market" for Cardinals games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp#blackout

You can type in your zipcode there to see what teams will be blacked out in your area. As usual, all national games get blacked out as well. MLB.tv is great for truly out of market teams though :shrug:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm in Georgia but for some reason my ISP continues to randomly have my IP originate in Des Moines so mlb.tv is a dice roll every day I want to watch a Cubs game on my computer. Oddly the iPad version works fine since that uses GPS to determine blackouts and not IP.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ahahahaha hoo boy

almost nothing better than stupid people online doubling down on their dumb poo poo
https://twitter.com/bigleaguestew/status/830126830640173056

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If in the playoffs, your pitcher does bleed,
an insufferable shithead, that pitcher must be.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

elentar posted:

ahahahaha hoo boy

almost nothing better than stupid people online doubling down on their dumb poo poo

I follow Bauer on Twitter because he's really into smartly evaluating his own performance and his stuff with Driveline is cool, but god drat dude needs to stick to sports.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You must have been in northwest TN then. That's "in market" for Cardinals games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp#blackout

You can type in your zipcode there to see what teams will be blacked out in your area. As usual, all national games get blacked out as well. MLB.tv is great for truly out of market teams though :shrug:

I was in Nashville at the time. Looks like Cardinals aren't blacked out there, if I'm remembering my old zipcode right.

I'm currently blacked out on Braves and Reds games. That means if I put down the $80-90 or whatever it was for a single team plan, that I can watch any Cardinals game that isn't against those teams or on a national broadcast on Fox or ESPN, correct? I might pony up for it if so.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soul Glo posted:

I was in Nashville at the time. Looks like Cardinals aren't blacked out there, if I'm remembering my old zipcode right.

I'm currently blacked out on Braves and Reds games. That means if I put down the $80-90 or whatever it was for a single team plan, that I can watch any Cardinals game that isn't against those teams or on a national broadcast on Fox or ESPN, correct? I might pony up for it if so.

This is correct. You should be able to watch about 80% of Cardinals games in your area.

And, maybe the blackouts changed over the last couple years. Maybe Nashville was indeed covered as Cardinals territory a few years back. :iiam:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mike_V posted:

Honestly, just purchase a VPN service like adfreetime or something and it will solve your issues. It's what I use to watch the Blues in eastern Kansas (ridiculous that they're in the St. Louis footprint).

Well, it's not like there's a KC NHL team to balance things out around here. Also, you're a closer to me than I would have guessed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Explosionface posted:

Well, it's not like there's a KC NHL team to balance things out around here. Also, you're a closer to me than I would have guessed.

Yeah, but the Avalanche are also blacked out because Altitude is considered local or something. Pick one team but don't black out both when one city is 8 hours away and the other is 4.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I follow Bauer on Twitter because he's really into smartly evaluating his own performance and his stuff with Driveline is cool, but god drat dude needs to stick to sports.

Yeah I like his youtubes where he breaks down all his pitches in slow motion, and answers questions about his pitch grips and stuff. I think he was one of the first pitchers to do the long-toss warmup routine? Thoughtful guy when it comes to pitching mechanics. What can you do. People are complicated.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I didn't know whether to post this in the TV Cooking thread or the MLB thread, so I'm posting it in both.

quote:

Prince Fielder's career was cut short, but he's still cooking ... literally
Prince Fielder is surprisingly upbeat just six months after medical issues brought his baseball career to an abrupt and tearful end.

He spends a lot of time shuttling his sons, Jadyn, 12, and Haven, 10, back and forth to baseball and basketball games and practices, and he's diving into a new field with a cooking-and-interview show called "Fielder's Choice,'' which he'll co-host with his wife.

And you have a new venture coming out soon?

PF: I have a food show that's going to be streaming on Netflix and Hulu. It's coming out around the beginning of spring training in March, I believe. It's not just baseball people. It's a mixture of baseball people, actors, musicians, chefs and whatnot. They bring out different dishes, and at the end of the show, I give the one I like the most the "Fielder's choice." It's good TV.

How did that come about?

PF: A friend of mine asked me a question at the end of 2015. We were going over my finances and setting things up for the future when she said, "What do you want to do when you retire?" I said, "I always wanted to do a food show." I thought it might be a cool thing to do when I retired a few years later. Then retirement came slightly prematurely.

Who are some of the guests you're having on the show?

PF: Chazz Palminteri, the actor. Jose Feliciano, the guy who sang, "Feliz Navidad." Xzibit (the rapper). CC Sabathia. I can't reveal the other names yet, but there are a couple more cool ones coming up.

Do you have any favorite food shows?

PF: I like all of them. One of my favorites is on Vice -- Action Bronson in "F---, That's Delicious." That's the name of the show.

When I was playing, my wife and kids would go on the road with me, and we would go to different lunch spots that we saw on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives." She would look something up on the internet and find the best restaurants and these little sandwich and taco spots, and we would go there.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Mike Krukow will only call Giants home games and NL West road games this year. It's not widely known, but for years now he's suffered from a disease that causes muscle weakness. Not life-threatening, but it makes travel difficult. Probably means that the days of Kruk and Kuip are numbered :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

ahahahaha hoo boy

He's a Trump supporter AND a lovely pitcher....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

nmfree posted:

I didn't know whether to post this in the TV Cooking thread or the MLB thread, so I'm posting it in both.

He will forever be the Worlds Fattest Vegetarian.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

He will forever be the Worlds Fattest Vegetarian.

It's entirely possible to still eat lovely and be a vegetarian, ask me how I know.

Also Prince was a vegetarian for like 3 months.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Popete posted:

Also Prince was a vegetarian for like 3 months.
This.

edit:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my happy takeaway from this is that Prince is smart and had someone else set up his long-term financial situation so he won't be one of those sad old broke dudes at 45.
Also, this.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 10, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nmfree posted:

my happy takeaway from this is that Prince is smart and had someone else set up his long-term financial situation so he won't be one of those sad old broke dudes at 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love Prince.

• Locked thread