Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There isn't any way to get all the money from my merc band captain right? At some point, my bastard brother died, without me being informed and now those thousands of gold they hold are in the hands of some nobody who keeps making demands and makes me pay full cost for the company.

If I disband the company, does he actually keep the money or do I get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

I downloaded the shattered world mod and I have to say, it's really good for learning the ropes. Kinda fun to see how far I can take my Cornwall before I get swamped by angry waelish warlords. (About an hour or so).

Shattered world is one of those things that I wish was integrated in the base game. Have an optional rule with options like this:

• Default game setup
  • Everyone starts as independent counts
  • Everyone starts as independent dukes

The duke option would be setup like the count option (every county has an independent ruler), but then gives whoever owns the capital the duchy title.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It's quite weird how relaxing it's playing CK2 after not having played it for about a year and coming from mostly playing EU4, it's just so much more forgiving and not rage inducing at all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

binge crotching posted:

Shattered world is one of those things that I wish was integrated in the base game. Have an optional rule with options like this:

• Default game setup

The duke option would be setup like the count option (every county has an independent ruler), but then gives whoever owns the capital the duchy title.

Good idea haver over here darkrenown get to it choppy chop

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It just occurred to me that I've never actually played an India game. I should prolly give that a go.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

India also is somewhat isolated due to the fact that there are no other areas that have its religions. While Ireland or Iceland are quite tucked away in a corner of the map, you can still arrange marriages or invite people to your courts and dabble in other regions' politics quite easily even if you never send a single military unit over the water. Even the West Africans can sometimes get north enough to make deals with Norse folks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

binge crotching posted:

• Default game setup

I personally would like a randomised start like TTG could put out, but I'm not really sure how that'd work without an external program like that.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Coward posted:

India also is somewhat isolated due to the fact that there are no other areas that have its religions. While Ireland or Iceland are quite tucked away in a corner of the map, you can still arrange marriages or invite people to your courts and dabble in other regions' politics quite easily even if you never send a single military unit over the water. Even the West Africans can sometimes get north enough to make deals with Norse folks.

Not quite true. The Indian Buddhists can intermarry with the Buddhists on the northern Silk Road. I also found out during my Kamarupa game (the beginning of the Silk Road in eastern India) that raiders from Mongolia can somehow go through Tibet to raid you.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't have horselords or the most recent dlc. How are they and are they worth getting?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't have horselords or the most recent dlc. How are they and are they worth getting?

All ck2 dlc is worth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reaper's Due is amazing, would definitely recommend.

Horse Lords is a bit narrower, it's a must-have if the idea of playing as a horde appeals to you but otherwise you won't miss it that much.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hordes are pretty hard to beat when it comes to just plain steamrolling everbody and everything, which can be a lot of fun every now and then.

Also I just looked at the Epidemic map mode in my W.African republic game to see that Cyrpus is colored bright yellow. When I looked closer I discovered that Cyprus is being ravaged by the Dancing Plague. Apparently this was a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

Oh Paradox...I love you guys.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 10, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hordes are pretty hard to beat when it comes to just plain steamrolling everbody and everything, which can be a lot of fun every now and then.

Also I just looked at the Epidemic map mode in my W.African republic game to see that Cyrpus is colored bright yellow. When I looked closer I discovered that Cyprus is being ravaged by the Dancing Plague. Apparently this was a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

This happened in Constantinople in my game and I did the same thing you did. Then I shut the gates. There is to be no dancing. My empire is footloose as hell.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lmao this is amazig. Medieval raves were apparently a thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I don't want to be the Holy Roman Emperor! It crashed my demesne limit, it's a huge annoying hassle and this was supposed to be a loyal vassal run!

UGH! Why isn't there an option, when you're elected to go "gently caress this, gently caress you, take your crown and shove it" ?

edit:

pannonia no what are you doing

is it some sort of exchange program?? ( A cathar Sogdian???)

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 10, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Horselords as I'm sure you're aware is for playing nomads. I wouldn't recommend it because they're just broken strong. I got entirely bored by 2 iron man games with them because I ended up just holy warring into india or against gigantic muslim blobs with zero issues. Then you get near infinite money for deleting holdings. I never got to the point the mongols arrive but I had like 200k way in advance of that date so I wasn't exactly worried about it.

I''m not sure what is or isn't added to the default game by reaper's due but the gigantic black death event was pretty good. I'd opt for this over horselords unless you are actively looking for a super easy mode.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Horse Lords also added the Silk Road, tributaries, and dynamic mercs.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Reaper's Due is just a fantastic DLC, my personal favorite.

In my current Charlemagne run I had triggered the immortality quest line right after forming the HRE. An African mystic named Fatim shows up and guarantees that she can help me achieve it. Fatim puts me through a few trials of bravery, ultimately culminating in an event where I have to drink a strange liquid while she performs a ritual, finally granting me life eternal...

11/10 Would give virgin birth to myself again.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Horse Lords also added the Silk Road, tributaries, and dynamic mercs.

It made a huge difference to my best India game in particular (Kamarupa, shed loads of Silk Road cash).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Toadsniff posted:

Reaper's Due is just a fantastic DLC, my personal favorite.

In my current Charlemagne run I had triggered the immortality quest line right after forming the HRE. An African mystic named Fatim shows up and guarantees that she can help me achieve it. Fatim puts me through a few trials of bravery, ultimately culminating in an event where I have to drink a strange liquid while she performs a ritual, finally granting me life eternal...

11/10 Would give virgin birth to myself again.

While technically a failure state for the immortal chain, the reincarnation can result in some really badass loving characters. I did a Britannia run and made the resulting superbaby king of Brittany when he grew up. The lovely part is I was on primo and since the kid didn't have parents I would have had to literally murder every single dynasty member to make him Emperor. Still cool to have him around though and he made a good councilor since he got all the good traits from his past life.

E: oh whoah that looks like he was his own parent there. Last time I reincarnated I'm pretty sure no parents at all were listed. He just apparently materialized out of thin air.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

E: oh whoah that looks like he was his own parent there. Last time I reincarnated I'm pretty sure no parents at all were listed. He just apparently materialized out of thin air.

The funny thing is, being his own parent might have been a bug fix. I had this event when Reaper's Due first came out and had the same as you where they weren't related to anyone - the problem is that when someone isn't related to anyone they tend to get culled for performance reasons, so he would just randomly die of "poor health" soon after being created. By being his own father the culler will go "oh, he has a family tree, so he's important" and leaves him alone.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
How rare is actual immortality? I mean I'm probably answering my own question as I've yet to actually succeed. I either deflate all my muscles moving rocks, or die from some rear end in a top hat's heathen ritual.

The reincarnated Chuck grew up to be an infected mess and in fact just game overed me. Thanks Manassés Karling.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Maaaaan, your stupid idiot merchant republic kids not taking concubines or wives is really irritating me. They really should be programmed to max that stuff out asap

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Toadsniff posted:

How rare is actual immortality? I mean I'm probably answering my own question as I've yet to actually succeed. I either deflate all my muscles moving rocks, or die from some rear end in a top hat's heathen ritual.

The reincarnated Chuck grew up to be an infected mess and in fact just game overed me. Thanks Manassés Karling.

I'm away from my game files at the moment so I can't double check, but if I recall correctly the initial event has a MTTH of a couple hundred years. However, there are very strong weights towards old or sick characters, so in practical terms it happens more often. If you get a genuine mystic (don't recall the odds here, it's based on your advisors) then it starts one of the immortality chains. These chains are each based on one of your stats, and get much more likely to succeed if you have a high (15+ I think) value. If you have the highest value it allows for, you have just over a 50% chance to succeed at every task. Failure can result in death or just stopping the quest, depending on the stage. If you succeed, you become Immortal.
If you get a false mystic, the events still fire as normal, but your odds of success on the final quest are divided by about a thousand, so you're almost certain to die. You can imperfectly detect false mystics by looking at their stats. True mystics will have a super high value in the appropriate stat most of the time. If you get a false mystic, or you suspect that it's false, you should abandon the quest ASAP.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Maaaaan, your stupid idiot merchant republic kids not taking concubines or wives is really irritating me. They really should be programmed to max that stuff out asap

"Heh, why would I want to have sex with a buncha women? I have a wife, sir!"

No seriously I agree it sucks. I have this same problem with my W.Africans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

i marry every 16 year old boy off to 3 16 year old girls, and betroth them to one 6 year old. when the betrothal comes up 10 years later, i go back through and make sure they still have 4 wives. between that and all the education assignments, :suicide:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

Kaza42 posted:

I'm away from my game files at the moment so I can't double check, but if I recall correctly the initial event has a MTTH of a couple hundred years. However, there are very strong weights towards old or sick characters, so in practical terms it happens more often. If you get a genuine mystic (don't recall the odds here, it's based on your advisors) then it starts one of the immortality chains. These chains are each based on one of your stats, and get much more likely to succeed if you have a high (15+ I think) value. If you have the highest value it allows for, you have just over a 50% chance to succeed at every task. Failure can result in death or just stopping the quest, depending on the stage. If you succeed, you become Immortal.
If you get a false mystic, the events still fire as normal, but your odds of success on the final quest are divided by about a thousand, so you're almost certain to die. You can imperfectly detect false mystics by looking at their stats. True mystics will have a super high value in the appropriate stat most of the time. If you get a false mystic, or you suspect that it's false, you should abandon the quest ASAP.

I did an :effort: post on it in December here.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 11, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Since there's a portion of a trade republic game where you are purposefully getting bigger and a portion where you are trying to disenfranchise any adult man who wants a salary, you'd need a toggle for "let my family gently caress or not." And that might be the one button that is beyond the pale.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Since there's a portion of a trade republic game where you are purposefully getting bigger and a portion where you are trying to disenfranchise any adult man who wants a salary, you'd need a toggle for "let my family gently caress or not." And that might be the one button that is beyond the pale.

Just be Greek culture. They already have a button for that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

binge crotching posted:

I did an :effort: post on it in December here.

The odds of a false mystic are something like 90% from what I saw in the files a while back I think?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just be Greek culture. They already have a button for that.
I don't think there's an all-the-dicks button yet.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The odds of a false mystic are something like 90% from what I saw in the files a while back I think?

It varies depending upon your attributes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm starting to change my opinion on the threat and defensive pacts system. In my Norse empire game I'm up to 94% threat and I haven't declared war on anyone in over 100 years.

It's all my vassals loving around and conquering places and getting MY threat raised. 100 years ago I had the British isles, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. Now my empire includes Finland, Lithuania, Morocco, Frisia, and even Crimea.

It's nice that I didn't have to do anything to expand my power but I want to declare a Great holy war on Egypt but I can't without bringing the entire world against me!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zero One posted:

I'm starting to change my opinion on the threat and defensive pacts system. In my Norse empire game I'm up to 94% threat and I haven't declared war on anyone in over 100 years.

It's all my vassals loving around and conquering places and getting MY threat raised. 100 years ago I had the British isles, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. Now my empire includes Finland, Lithuania, Morocco, Frisia, and even Crimea.

It's nice that I didn't have to do anything to expand my power but I want to declare a Great holy war on Egypt but I can't without bringing the entire world against me!

Do it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zero One posted:

Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiit

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I could probably pull it off. Pope has tried 3 crusades against me to get France back and I've barely had to lift a finger to destroy the armies of Christ. The western Caliph only has Mali now so he's no threat and I'd have to fight Egypt anyway. That only leaves the Mongol-Indian pact. Yes that's right. Genghis Khan converted to Hinduism and is so scared of the Fylkir that he formed a pact against me from the other side of the map.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main thing about defensive pacts is that they're VERY disorganized. It's a hundred tiny nations that you can easily squash individually sending armies one at a time into your meatgrinder rather than ganging up all at once. Plus you still only need to actually capture the target territory, so if you've got enough troops to split up into two large armies, you can send one to siege down your war target and have the other just wander around playing whack a mole.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Map of pacts against me. I'm in yellow. Looks like Genghis died at some point and his son was Orthodox so they had a bunch of revolts and broke up and the southern half of his empire forgot about me.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Arright, from the latest place in the sun stream; is Commissus Cain was a wonderful reference and I'm hoping he'll be in the update proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There are no gods but Odin and Ragnar is his prophet.

Although the armies of Odin managed to capture a few holdings in the Nile delta, the Great Holy War for Egypt was decided in North Africa. The Muslims had tried to march their entire army directly to Gibraltar. The Sultan was planning to invade Europe through the strait and keep the battle in the Norse lands. He must have not heard of the Viking naval tradition. Twenty thousand viking warriors intercepted them in Tripoli with a longship invasion. His army crushed, the Sultan surrendered in exchange for his life.

Fylkir Erik the Just, King of All Men and Emperor of All Earth, stood at the foot of the Great Pyramid. He though of the ancient Pharaohs and Roman Kings who ruled this same land thousands of years ago. He thought of his ancestor Ragnarr Loðbrók who started from humble beginnings and his son Halfdan who founded the Hvitserk dynasty 400 years ago that now was the greatest family ever known. Then he thought... "What's next?".

• Locked thread