Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I lold today

It must be really great to be a seventh grade civics teacher right now, the news basically does your lesson planning for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Minimalist Program posted:

This is my favorite thread in the world

it's consistently funny day after day. its basically D.C Arrested Development

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

The question is jerk-off bait for slightly-educated people, at the expense of un-educated people.

It's written based on a set of assumptions that would be made by someone who had a little, but not much, science education. Namely, it assumes that the sun's reference frame is best, because it simplifies the picture of the solar system you'd have in a grade-8 science class.

Besides completely neglecting the concept of invariance, this question misses the whole point of a physical model, which is to answer questions within a certain scope. The "Sun-around-Earth" respondents are picking the frame which accurately describes their daily lives; you'd have to be insane to model, say, a car's motion in terms of the spinning, orbiting Earth as seen from the Sun.

But making bad assumptions lets you smugly wank over how much smarter you are, so that's great.

Yeah check it out though fam when a pollster asks you "does the Earth orbit the Sun or does the Sun orbit the Earth?" the correct answer is "the Earth orbits the Sun."

Idc what frame of reference you use, the Earth very clearly travels around the Sun in an ellipse as the Sun travels around the galactic core.

quote:

The "Sun-around-Earth" respondents are picking the frame which accurately describes their daily lives; you'd have to be insane to model, say, a car's motion in terms of the spinning, orbiting Earth as seen from the Sun.

The question is not "how does the car travel?" The question is, "which body orbits the other?"

In fact I posit that thinking about that question in terms of "well, the Sun goes around me every day so the Sun clearly orbits the Earth" makes you a bit of a nitwit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tumble posted:

it's consistently funny day after day. its basically D.C Arrested Development

D.C. Arrested Travel Movements

cnut
May 3, 2016

Apollodorus posted:

I lold today

It must be really great to be a seventh grade civics teacher right now, the news basically does your lesson planning for you.

Won't somebody think about the children?! :ohdear:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zorodius posted:

smugly wank over how much smarter you are, so that's great.

Hurrrrr just like you're doing.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Moridin920 posted:

Idc what frame of reference you use, the Earth very clearly travels around the Sun in an ellipse as the Sun travels around the galactic core.

Okay, you don't actually understand the concept of a reference frame.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Zorodius posted:

:regd07:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

You're obviously being pedantic as gently caress in attempt to explain away that 20% of the dumbfuck population doesn't understand heliocentric solar system models because actually they're some brilliant scientists overthinking the question and going "well, it really depends on frame of reference..." like no reasonable person would look at the choice of "Sun goes around Earth OR Earth goes around Sun?" and be able to chose from the two.

And here is the slam dunk: you obviously don't understand the concept of inertial frames of reference because actually the Sun's frame of reference is "the best" one to consider based on that.

Yeah, it's possible to describe the kinetics of the solar system holding Earth stationary but if you do then Newtonian physics doesn't loving work because you're not in an inertial frame of reference. For further reading, check out Foucalt's Pendulum.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 10, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Hey guys shut the gently caress up and lol at Trump more

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

scrubs season six posted:

Hurrrrr just like you're doing.

I don't believe that having more knowledge on a particular topic means a person is any smarter. But using knowledge to construct a faulty trick question does make that person a dick.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry but jesus loving christ having to actually explain that the Earth orbits the Sun.

Zorodius posted:

I don't believe that having more knowledge on a particular topic means a person is any smarter. But using knowledge to construct a faulty trick question does make that person a dick.

lol it's not a faulty trick question for the love of god

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I was very sure that a lot of people would accept the truth of the Bowling Green Massacure and I have not been disappointed lol

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Zorodius posted:

The question is jerk-off bait for slightly-educated people, at the expense of un-educated people.

It's written based on a set of assumptions that would be made by someone who had a little, but not much, science education. Namely, it assumes that the sun's reference frame is best, because it simplifies the picture of the solar system you'd have in a grade-8 science class.

Besides completely neglecting the concept of invariance, this question misses the whole point of a physical model, which is to answer questions within a certain scope. The "Sun-around-Earth" respondents are picking the frame which accurately describes their daily lives; you'd have to be insane to model, say, a car's motion in terms of the spinning, orbiting Earth as seen from the Sun.

But making bad assumptions lets you smugly wank over how much smarter you are, so that's great.

What on earth is wrong with you you goddamned dweeb nerd this is the lolling that trump is president not the idiot thread for idiots.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
*huh a thread about lolling that the president of the US is literally Donald J. Trump, better go argue about the solar system in it* ~ a thing somebody said to themselves, then acted on.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Moridin920 posted:

You're obviously being pedantic as gently caress in attempt to explain away that 20% of the dumbfuck population doesn't understand heliocentric solar system models because actually they're some brilliant scientists overthinking the question and going "well, it really depends on frame of reference..." like no reasonable person would look at the choice of "Sun goes around Earth OR Earth goes around Sun?" and be able to chose from the two.

And here is the slam dunk: you obviously don't understand the concept of inertial frames of reference because actually the Sun's frame of reference is "the best" one to consider based on that.

Yeah, it's possible to describe the kinetics of the solar system holding Earth stationary but if you do then Newtonian physics doesn't loving work because you're not in an inertial frame of reference. For further reading, check out Foucalt's Pendulum.

You're screwing up half a dozen key concepts in this post. If you care, you should take an actual class some day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

You're screwing up half a dozen key concepts in this post. If you care, you should take an actual class some day.

No I don't think I am lol. You think that all motion is relative. It isn't.

The Earth has more angular momentum than the Sun in our solar system, yes or no?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Everybody else, having a great time lolling at president Donald J. Trump and his supporters: haha they think the sun goes around the earth.

supreme math goon: Uh,

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

way to gently caress up the loling thread dudes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Everybody else, having a great time lolling at president Donald J. Trump and his supporters: haha they think the sun goes around the earth.

thank you for giving me lols again

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I'm lolling at the trump twitter account but now, also, I am lolling at purple avatar guy who went into this thread to start a nerd autist dweeb derail about cosmology.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's important to demonstrate that the correct answer to "WHICH GOES AROUND THE OTHER" is not Sun orbits Earth. Sorry but jfc.

If the Sun orbited the Earth we wouldn't be able to explain it w/ physics because it has an extremely larger mass and no force acting on it to make it orbit the Earth which is clearly a violation of Newtonian motion.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

thank you for giving me lols again

*In red hat font* Make the thread lol again!

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

Zorodius posted:

Moridin920 posted:

No I don't think I am lol. You think that all motion is relative. It isn't.

The Earth has more angular momentum than the Sun in our solar system, yes or no?

shut the gently caress up nerds

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

It's important to demonstrate that the correct answer to "WHICH GOES AROUND THE OTHER" is not Sun orbits Earth. Sorry but jfc.

Moridin you are so bad, just so bad. You are not good. Your posts are bad and your personality is bad. I don't think you are a good culture fit for the lol thread.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Requoting this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin you are so bad, just so bad. You are not good. Your posts are bad and your personality is bad. I don't think you are a good culture fit for the lol thread.

ahhh get stuffed who cares what you think anyway lol

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Actually... the sun revolves aroudn DOnald Trump's ego!

lol. Seriously though, we're all going to die and nothing matters

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
you know its amazing that we got 67 pages of consistent Trump lols before some spergy nerds had to gently caress it all up talking about astronomy

i'll make sure to be thankful of that next thanksgiving

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it was like 5-7 posts off topic cool your fuckin' jets lmao so thin skinned. Sad!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It wasn't the amount of off topic posts, it was the incredible badness of them.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Getting back to PrEASY D.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/donald-trump-challenges-governing-presidency-234879

quote:

Trump often asks simple questions about policies, proposals and personnel. And, when discussions get bogged down in details, the president has been known to quickly change the subject — to "seem in control at all times," one senior government official said —

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Moridin920 has an avatar of Doug landing a vicious punch, and Zorodius has an av of something breaking and getting up over and over. Their avs predict their entire conversation

edit: Whoops, I posted too slowly! This woulda been correct if it had been five, ten minutes ago.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 10, 2017

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

sir, this is a lolling at Trump drive-thru

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

please don't post my picture, it detracts from the lols

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

sir, this is a lolling at Trump drive-thru

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

following trump on twitter rules, every morning you wake up to a nice lol, and then throughout the day he periodically sends you some more laughs

That's what I'm hoping! I'll report back tomorrow after I woke up

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

nah lol the Earth orbits the Sun

They orbit each other around the barycenter. Idiot.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Please explain the Bureau of Land Management to me in 140 characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Trump often asks simple questions about policies, proposals and personnel. And, when discussions get bogged down in details, the president has been known to quickly change the subject — to "seem in control at all times," one senior government official said —

Really it's amazing because it seems like Trump is just doing what every single manager in America does but this dude did it too well and now he's top dog and actually has to do stuff.

emoji posted:

They orbit each other around the barycenter. Idiot.

lol please