Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvbDZAhYDo

for new page just in case people miss it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Aaaand some rear end in a top hat is already saying how CA is terrible for doing this.

Jesus gently caress i hate "gamers", entitled pricks.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gejnor posted:

Aaaand some rear end in a top hat is already saying how CA is terrible for doing this.

post quotes so we can point and laugh

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

queeb posted:

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvbDZAhYDo

for new page just in case people miss it

Noice!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gejnor posted:

Wait, what is terrible about a free feature no one is obligated to use? Stealing the thunder from brave modders who discovered how to do a more limited version through hex editing?

Also, hell yeah, this is awesome.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

quote:

Shouldn't all the diferent maps be done by you and put in the game directly by you? So you would not expoit work of other people on your underdeveloped game?
Oh sorry, you propably don't have time for it cause you are planning with Sega how you will scumbag us more.
That's really some next level of :psyduck:. "Oh, you made an update that allows modders to create more free content, which they'll do for fun? How evil of you."

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 10, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChickenWing posted:

DDkiki Furolo posted:

Shouldn't all the diferent maps be done by you and put in the game directly by you? So you would not expoit work of other people on your underdeveloped game?
Oh sorry, you propably don't have time for it cause you are planning with Sega how you will scumbag us more.

DDkiki Furolo posted:

+Total War its all good if you was doing your job instead of releasing bugged unfinished game with bugged and unfinished DLCs(and also yoiu scerwed a lot of modders with last update). You are pathetic as a developer.

Dumbest text ive read in awhile regarding the game thats for sure.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gejnor posted:

The game's steam page is an excellent argument against user reviews.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Yeah holy crap, the game is extremely polished for a tw title and really fun to play and i myself have over a thousand hours put into it yet its rated as badly by users as those barely functioning Early Access games. Drives me furious whenever i see them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Mordja posted:

Yeah its awful. It's glad to know the game is doing gangbusters even with the people review bombing the steam page.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

I am not sure why CA gets so much flak from it while Paradox which has a similar development/DLC cycle of regular free and paid content (except also with DLC with no gameplay impact, some of which with similar price to CA's DLCs) doesn't have half as whiny a following. Is it just because Total War is a more established series which has accumulated a greater amount of crazy people who both remember the days when you just bought Rome and had all factions and have no idea how expensive it is to make content for a modern game?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

grognards are used to paying insane amount of money for their games

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like, I generally dislike excessive DLC, but in those cases it's because the DLC is low-effort or something that's obviously been pulled from the base game. CA's DLC for TW:W is all unique, well made, and additive to an already feature-complete game. There's just a lot of it, but it's not like there's any reason to buy it all in one go instead of picking and choosing as you finish each campaign.

The way I look at it, all the grognards go on about how great expansion packs were, so let's compare it to one of the most lauded expacks around: Starcraft Brood War.

Brood War added a couple new units to the existing races and rebalanced the multiplayer, but the biggest "value" to the game was in the new campaigns. Game launched for around 30-40 bucks.

Meanwhile, a racepack for TW:W adds an entirely new faction to multiplayer, skirmish and the grand campaign, a smaller story campaign, and usually launches alongside a completely free lord or hero. It costs roughly half the price despite the drastic increase in game development costs.

The funny thing is, despite arguing in favour of CA's DLC policy, I haven't actually bought any of the new factions. Why not? Because the base game already has so much content that I'm still making my way through. :v:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
And thats another reason why i love this game, even if you don't buy any of the DLC's you've still got hundreds of hours of content ahead of you, maybe even thousands, right out the gate!

Hell even if you dont buy the DLC's you get to face the DLC races anyways so its not as if you're missing out completely!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 10, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I have only bought the two content packs for the base races, and I have spent nearly 200 hours having fun. And with mods adding even more content, I don't see how they can complain that much about DLC gimping ones experience. They are kinda pricey, but you get a new race for a quarter of the price of the game with had 4 races, so it's not that bad, given how distinct each new faction have been. Will probably buy the new races at some point, but for now the replay value is still there.

Edit: And you can scout terrain before deciding to battle? That is a detail I have missed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I mean they haven't had a single sale on the DLC after what like 11 months? That at least deserves some making GBS threads-on, but the core ideas of their DLC to me aren't bad.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Still waiting for the chaos fix tbh. You'd think they'd be able to shoehorn that in somewhere.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ZearothK posted:

I am not sure why CA gets so much flak from it while Paradox which has a similar development/DLC cycle of regular free and paid content (except also with DLC with no gameplay impact, some of which with similar price to CA's DLCs) doesn't have half as whiny a following.

It's much easier for them to live out their racist fantasies in a Paradox game, it soothes and placates them.

I wish that was an unserious post.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I kind of want to punch gamers over their horrible opinions.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Gejnor posted:

And thats another reason why i love this game, even if you don't buy any of the DLC's you've still got hundreds of hours of content ahead of you, maybe even thousands, right out the gate!

Hell even if you dont buy the DLC's you get to face the DLC races anyways so its not as if you're missing out completely!

You get 2-3 DLCs for the cost of a single tier 8 tank in World of tanks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So what's the deal with Make War Not Love? Are there giveaways? A lot of the stuff isn't really clear if the "free DLC" is an established DLC being handed out to everyone or a new free DLC is introduced.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plan Z posted:

So what's the deal with Make War Not Love? Are there giveaways? A lot of the stuff isn't really clear if the "free DLC" is an established DLC being handed out to everyone or a new free DLC is introduced.

Historically it's new DLC

Also, historically, Total War never wins

Last year it was Slavs for Atilla. After the lose, they put it for sale for $10

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

jfood posted:

It's much easier for them to live out their racist fantasies in a Paradox game, it soothes and placates them.

I wish that was an unserious post.

I also wish that you were not being serious because "people get mad at CA and not paradox because they are racists" is some pretty deranged poo poo

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SickZip posted:

Historically it's new DLC

Also, historically, Total War never wins

Last year it was Slavs for Atilla. After the lose, they put it for sale for $10

Watch TW lose and they retroactively decide to charge for Brets.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The idea that Paradox fans don't whine and downvote brigade DLC is a complete fiction.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I will honestly never get DLC rage because I feel like it's normally done by people with a zero tolerance policy for DLC regardless of actual value.

Skyrim horse armor for $2? Ok I can get rolling your eyes and moving past that.

A race DLC for $18 which you will almost certainly play for at least 20 hours meaning you're paying less than $1 an hour. I don't see the problem.

Normally this comes from people who believe that the game should be complete right from the start which for a game like this I think is asinine because the time that it would take to make this game with all factions and heroes in it would require and extra 3-5 years and a price point well beyond $60.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
A bigger issue is that game prices have gone down over the last 25 years. Chrono Trigger was 85 dollars on release which would be roughly 130 dollars today and we've locked 'new releases' in at 40-60 bucks for loke 15 years now.

DLC is a pretty easy way to make money without triggering a wave of outrage that game prices increasing with inflation would.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 10, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's a bizzare notion that somehow a game is a standardized quantity. Therefore, if you can add to a game, it must have been less than a full game.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

fnordcircle posted:

I will honestly never get DLC rage because I feel like it's normally done by people with a zero tolerance policy for DLC regardless of actual value.

Skyrim horse armor for $2? Ok I can get rolling your eyes and moving past that.

A race DLC for $18 which you will almost certainly play for at least 20 hours meaning you're paying less than $1 an hour. I don't see the problem.

Normally this comes from people who believe that the game should be complete right from the start which for a game like this I think is asinine because the time that it would take to make this game with all factions and heroes in it would require and extra 3-5 years and a price point well beyond $60.

Don't forget the experience CA is getting with designing these DLCs. The newer content is just better than the older stuff, even where the older stuff is still good. I don't mean overpowered or unbalanced (although wood elves totally are), but just more fun. New characters are more unique, new units have more interesting niches and abilities, new factions have more interesting mechanics to engage with. I doubt that these factions would all be as good as they are if CA had tried to fit them all in to the base game, even leaving aside development time and cost.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaza42 posted:

Don't forget the experience CA is getting with designing these DLCs. The newer content is just better than the older stuff, even where the older stuff is still good. I don't mean overpowered or unbalanced (although wood elves totally are), but just more fun. New characters are more unique, new units have more interesting niches and abilities, new factions have more interesting mechanics to engage with. I doubt that these factions would all be as good as they are if CA had tried to fit them all in to the base game, even leaving aside development time and cost.

True, I mean just look at the difference between the G&G and the K&W.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

There's a bizzare notion that somehow a game is a standardized quantity. Therefore, if you can add to a game, it must have been less than a full game.

Then again deus ex MD

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How do people deal with cavalry as dwarfs?

Cannons help a little bit, but VC and Orc campaign opponents bring more cavalry than I can shoot down with 3 cards of cannons. Keeping a reserve unit or two of melee to move to intercept kinda helps, but due to Cav's speed they often don't have time to brace for a charge and if the computer brings enough cavalry they still get around my defenses and take out my flanks.

So far my most successful tactic has been creating a circle of sturdy infantry facing every direction at least 3 ranks deep with a center force of artillery and quarrelers. It works so much better than my attempts at a line, but also means I don't get to flank with iron drakes.

I'm new to TW games, haven't played them since the original Shogun. Large battles with 40+ units is really overwhelming.

DLC chat, as someone who bought the base game for $12 and used to play Warhammer, paying :10bux: for a faction seems like a great deal. Maybe Games Workshop broke my brain?

Edit: Is the solution to not be outnumbered two to one?

Edit2: I see a lot of people on line say chariots suck. Is this still true or were they patched to be better? Orc chariots seem neat due to their huge health pools and ability to ram through 5 lines of dwarfs. I've only been on the receiving end of them, so I was wondering why I hear so much hate.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 10, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't like the dollar per hour formula = fun. It's about the most autistic way to figure out your money's worth with entertainment.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah the correct measure is $ per hour of development/hour of enjoyment +69.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Cannons help a little bit, but VC and Orc campaign opponents bring more cavalry than I can shoot down with 3 cards of cannons. Keeping a reserve unit or two of melee to move to intercept kinda helps, but due to Cav's speed they often don't have time to brace for a charge and if the computer brings enough cavalry they still get around my defenses and take out my flanks.

So far my most successful tactic has been creating a circle of sturdy infantry facing every direction at least 3 ranks deep with a center force of artillery and quarrelers. It works so much better than my attempts at a line, but also means I don't get to flank with iron drakes.

I'm new to TW games, haven't played them since the original Shogun. Large battles with 40+ units is really overwhelming.

Keeping a few slayers in the back to respond to cav charges might work. Also if you're feeling overwhelmed you can always go into slo-mo or pause the game to give orders.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

KPC_Mammon posted:

Thunderers on the flanks. Artillery bombardment on the approach. Slayers in reserve. Accepting that flanking is almost certainly going to happen, and your only job is to find out what to do about it.

quote:

Edit2: I see a lot of people on line say chariots suck. Is this still true or were they patched to be better? Orc chariots seem neat due to their huge health pools and ability to ram through 5 lines of dwarfs. I've only been on the receiving end of them, so I was wondering why I hear so much hate.

Chariots are good at flinging their weight around but as far as doing damage they're fairly lacklustre as far as cost-benefit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KPC_Mammon posted:

DLC chat, as someone who bought the base game for $12 and used to play Warhammer, paying :10bux: for a faction seems like a great deal. Maybe Games Workshop broke my brain?

Edit: Is the solution to not be outnumbered two to one?

Longbeards with great weapons now have charge defence, so you can have them soak the charge and then spring Slayers on them. Though they they can just about butcher most low tier cav in an outright scrap anyway. Or, if you want to save money, use miners as ablative armour instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

Hm...

The more you spend on it, the less of a game there is...

Sounds like Star Citizen.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mordja posted:

Longbeards with great weapons now have charge defence, so you can have them soak the charge and then spring Slayers on them. Though they they can just about butcher most low tier cav in an outright scrap anyway. Or, if you want to save money, use miners as ablative armour instead.

Longbeards with great weapons are awesome. I recruited 10 units before taking on the VC and they've been amazing. Not having shields when your opponent doesn't have ranged attacks is hardly a disadvantage. Plus fear immunity. I'm pretty sure they are the only reason my "circle the wagons" approach works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's sometimes good to have the shielded dudes regardless against chaff as they have higher MD.

• Locked thread