Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The fact that it's P2P is really bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Warriors who use ranged weapons are WITHOUT honor!

/Worf

https://imgur.com/vmvA6o2

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

I played the beta for about an hour and felt like I saw and got everything I wanted out of it. The 1v1 was fun, but quickly got repetitive. The team deathmatch modes mostly involved me winning or losing without seeing a single ally, or more than the 1 enemy I spawned in front of. Sometimes I would run off to help an ally only to have an enemy raise the guy I killed. This would continue for a while until I decided to sit by the corpse and wait. Whenever more than 1 person was attacking another it felt like the guy would just get crushed, and same in return.

The game feels like it works best as a 1v1 game in terms of balance and rules, but the 1v1 mode also happens to be the one that gets boring quick.

I haven't tried the domination mode, so maybe I'll give that a shot later tonight and see if it changes my opinion.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Please play with me so I don't have to chop mans alone.

Uplay: FreshSheshBesh

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Carmant posted:

I like how retards always call people who dont buy overpriced poo poo poor. Actually poor people are the ones who pay way more than somethings worth and are stupid with their money.

This game is prime for waiting a few months and catching it 20-30% off on a steam sale. I'm not really sure why people are using this as a euphemism to slander the quality or longevity of the game, however. I waited until DOOM was on sale for $20 before picking it up, and it was one of the best games I've played in years.

Carmant posted:

same, but opposite

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 10, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pearnicious posted:

Here's a summary of about 80% of this thread:

Hot take: Game is legit fun, has a high learning curve and skill ceiling, isn't too expensive, and despite all the constant bitching about P2P it seems most people haven't experienced many significant issues.

Recreational outrage is in full swing, let's all get mad about something!

I think you are projecting man. "Game fun" is not a hot take it's like the opinion of almost everyone who has posted.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Nah, the most popular opinion seems to be that the game is fun, but still not fun enough to pay AAA price.

It's like people want AAA quality but only want to pay slightly more than the cost of shovelware on Project Greenlight.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
goons thrown off ledges straight into the reply button spikes itt

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Pearnicious posted:

Nah, the most popular opinion seems to be that the game is fun, but still not fun enough to pay AAA price.

It's like people want AAA quality but only want to pay slightly more than the cost of shovelware on Project Greenlight.

There will also be a singleplayer campaign that no one has seen yet, but it remains to be seen if that will actually add value to the game or if it is just a 4 hour taped-together pile of poo poo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carmant posted:

P2P really isn't all that bad anymore. Average connection speed has drastically improved, as have various interpolation and compensation technologies. P2P's the standard in 2D fighting games, where fine precise timing is even more important than here. Back in 200x it was a huge deal to have it in something like a shooter, but at this point the difference to a dedicated server is not nearly as severe as it used to be.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

panda clue posted:

There will also be a singleplayer campaign that no one has seen yet, but it remains to be seen if that will actually add value to the game or if it is just a 4 hour taped-together pile of poo poo.

Lol, even if it is I don't think most people will care. The multiplayer is obviously the main focus for the developers and the majority of the players. Even if there was no single player campaign at all I would still buy this game.

I mean, think about Call of Duty. Yeah, it's a different genre, but how many people are excited about the campaign? There's some of them out there, sure, but probably ~9/10 players don't give half a dick about the campaign.

e: The one criticism I will give the game is that Uplay is objectively inferior to Steam. It might not be a complete garbage fire, but I don't think anyone can argue that it's better than Steam.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 10, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Carmant posted:

What does P2P mean?

Hey, are multiplayer games dead, or what? It seems like with this game, and the other two I've tried recently (Titanfall 2 and Rocket League) getting into a game is based on good timing and luck and I spend more time staring at "finding players..." than ever playing the game.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Carmant posted:

I think when most people hear "P2P" they think of modern FPS games, which are actually client-server models where the work of being the server is offloaded on to one of the participants in the game.

For Honor (they claim) doesn't work like that, it's a true peer-to-peer scheme where the clients share responsibility for the game state and there is no server or host as far as gameplay goes. One client does act as "server" but only for housekeeping stuff like handling requests to join and leave the game.

So I'm not saying it's better or worse than dedicated servers, but I think it is strange that so people just go, oh it's p2p it's crap, when it's actually using a completely different model than what they probably mean by "p2p" and so it most likely has a different set of strengths and weaknesses.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

credburn posted:

What does P2P mean?

Hey, are multiplayer games dead, or what? It seems like with this game, and the other two I've tried recently (Titanfall 2 and Rocket League) getting into a game is based on good timing and luck and I spend more time staring at "finding players..." than ever playing the game.

Peer 2 Peer. Instead of the game session being hosted on a dedicated server, the clients connect directly to each other. A client with a slow connection can cause the game to lag. It's a problem that has been blown out of proportion for the most part. It is more likely to cause problems with larger lobbies like 4v4, but it seems 1v1 and 2v2 work just fine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

credburn posted:

What does P2P mean?

It stands for "Perpetual to post".

It's an infinite posting generator.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

credburn posted:

What does P2P mean?

It takes me an average of 5 seconds to find a game, any game in any mode...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is my personal hot take that everyone's been dying to hear.

I really like the gameplay, it's simple to get into but takes a while to master each character and you feel good about discovering some character's combo and their in's and out's.

My main complaint though is how long it takes to get to the gameplay portion, the matchmaking has been wonky and sorta reminds me of matchmaking from games in the early 2000's, lot of dropped players, lobbys that quit out if one person leaves, lobbys that ask you to ready up only to give you a error message and close because your missing one person, I've had games where 3 out of 4 in our group of friends dropped from a game and it was just the one guy left against what was left of the enemy, I also dislike that when queuing for dominion I can't choose to only go into a fresh game, I'll end up in one that's in progress.

Aside from the matchmaking, I dislike the long waiting period to get into a game, ESPECIALLY if your filling in for a game in progress to replace a bot, you STILL got to do the whole readying up phase and that little bit where the players stand across from eachother and then charge before it loads in, I get that it's possible it's masking some massive loading screens but that's still a minute or two minimum before someone can replace a bot, I also feel like the cinematic zoom out on the battlefield and then zoom in on the players gets old after a little while and is taking up valuable fightman time.

And without trying to dig up the p2p debate because I think it's controlling pretty well with minimal lag, I do wonder about possible p2p related connection exploits intended or not that could cause players not to connect to eachother, drop players at will, or just cutting their connection to prevent a loss and if those things have been taken into consideration.

Oh and my final complaint would be it's on uplay, because ugh, uplay, overall I still rate the game good but has room to fix the above issues.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 10, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should turn off join-in-progress but also not allow a lobby to launch until the mode is full. An extremely good and simple change that I am confident will never be implemented :dice:

Like if people start quitting on a match that means they surrender. Neither side is interested in obtaining new players, and approximately 0% of the game playing population enjoys joining a losing match in progress.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Aside from the matchmaking, I dislike the long waiting period to get into a game, ESPECIALLY if your filling in for a game in progress to replace a bot, you STILL got to do the whole readying up phase and that little bit where the players stand across from eachother and then charge before it loads in, I get that it's possible it's masking some massive loading screens but that's still a minute or two minimum before someone can replace a bot, I also feel like the cinematic zoom out on the battlefield and then zoom in on the players gets old after a little while and is taking up valuable fightman time.

And without trying to dig up the p2p debate because I think it's controlling pretty well with minimal lag, I do wonder about possible p2p related connection exploits intended or not that could cause players not to connect to eachother, drop players at will, or just cutting their connection to prevent a loss and if those things have been taken into consideration.

Oh and my final complaint would be it's on uplay, because ugh, uplay, overall I still rate the game good but has room to fix the above issues.

Funny I feel the same way about Overwatch. Most of my game time is queuing in comp which can take anywhere from a min or two... readying up... sitting in spawn as people shoot the basketball until the doors open.. only to repeat again once the map is done and you have to do it for the other side.

I found that For Honor is far quicker getting into a match and move on to the next one.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone getting slowdown in duels when blocking/parrying/etc? Regardless of setting I'll lose about 40FPS for about 1 second and it makes it really hard to time poo poo.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
My personal hot take: goons made like five discords to play this game, but all of them are empty

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

My personal hot take: goons made like five discords to play this game, but all of them are empty

Sun rises, wind blows.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

I think this evening after work I'm going to try fighting some bots with the UI either turned off, or set to minimal. I feel like I'm relying too much on the little shield widget to tell me where to block and I'm not paying enough attention to the character animation and sound cues. My reaction time is trash and I think if I watch the animations instead of waiting for the blinking red light I will probably start getting better at this game.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

credburn posted:

What does P2P mean?

This has gotta be some matchmaking bug, because I'm finding games instantly in any mode. I live in California if that matters at all.

Also, Titanfall 2 had terrible advertising and chose one of the worst launch windows possible (right on top of Battlefield). It is an amazing game, but I doubt it will ever recover from the poor launch window at this point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
When you're outnumbered and people on your flank are guard breaking, what's your best option? Just dodge/run away? Obviously there's not always supposed to be an answer but it's really tough.

Also the flail guy's charge is really hard to dodge as a Warlord and I had a guy dismantle me repeatedly with that character. It was really impressive, although he kept whining about how Warlords need to be nerfed?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
It's definitely taking me a long time to find duels, in Europe. I've only played two matches so far so maybe my "skill" hasn't calibrated yet?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This thread has been a fascinating ride so far. Everybody on the internet is a network engineer.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
2 questions;

1: Can you chose a different class for the bot in the "Learn How to Play" bot match?

2: I bought a 1080 and it came with a code for this game, i activated it and it gave me a message something like: "bla bla could not activate at this time, im UPLAY and im retarded", but the code has been used GeForce Experience tells me. Anyone done this before? Is it activated? It's not in my UPlay library, but the Open Beta is in there, tho i can't play it since it's "not installed". That might be because i downloaded the open beta on steam tho and am currently playing it.
Confusing poo poo i know.

Edit: Actually the error message was more like "cannot activate at this time and activated games may take some time to show up", that's why i'm confused. The error message is giving off mixed signals :negative:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 10, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

doh looks like 1v1 matching currently busted on ps4 :(

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Dongattack posted:

1: Can you chose a different class for the bot in the "Learn How to Play" bot match?

If you leave the default starter tutorial itll let you go back into it with any character you want, yea. I also think the advanced tactics vary from character to character, not positive though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

panda clue posted:

If you leave the default starter tutorial itll let you go back into it with any character you want, yea. I also think the advanced tactics vary from character to character, not positive though.

Oh no i meant the AI, can you change the class of the AI bot you fight against? It's always the two handed viking guy.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I think I remember being able to set up a custom match against a specific bot. Check under "Custom match" in the main menu and look around in its options to get what you want.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornbuckle and Blaze from mk2 RETURN

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Is there any decent resource on how to play? The game isn't really helpful in teaching any rhythm pattern. I managed to understand how to guard break cancel after five minutes of failing the timing.

The level 1 bot Raider is destroying me in 4 hits :(

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I agree, but those classes are simple to keep the scope narrow.

I think the only "host advantage" I've seen are people rage quitting with one over skilled/lucky player and leaving that guy in the game by himself, making him the host.

This game rules. I'm quite bad at it. I find myself tunneling with a skill trying to land it...or guard breaking someone already swinging...or blocking early and thinking "I can make this a parry"...CHOP "OW".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think the most fun part about this game is getting absolutely destroyed in the first duel and then running over your opponent for the next three matches until they quit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornbuckle and Blaze from mk2 RETURN

Owns. :allears:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When does the Pirate DLC come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU