Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Then, after 3 years of bug terror, the mechanoids showed up....

That gives me an idea... is there any downside to letting bugs do all the mining for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I can highly recommend this mod. It offers a nice addition to the game that isn't completely bullshit. Early on you can build latrines and washing buckets to remove the negative moodlets, and later you can build literal poop throne room that makes your colonist happy because they will complain about a lovely washrooms which is imho hilarious.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Alchenar posted:

Just as I ran out of food a squad of 6 manhunter elephants appeared.

This was not a bad event to get.

I somehow ran out of food when I gave pemmican a try. Luckily a trader came by and sold me a whole bunch of yorkshire terriers and chinchillas and they got me through to the next harvest. You don't really appreciate silver until you have a starvation crisis and you have to call in everyone and buy up all the stuff that is even remotely edible.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

yoloer420 posted:

That gives me an idea... is there any downside to letting bugs do all the mining for me?

It's up to the bugs to mine the correct way and not eat your whole base

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

yoloer420 posted:

Other than the fact that it's random, slow and whatever they find you don't touch til they're dead, I don't think so.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
That seems like the perfect defense if you can get the infestation to spawn way off on a commonly traveled entry point. Maybe set a line of turrets further down the path to pick off any encroaching bugs before they dig everything away. You never start a land war in Bugasia.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Crap

Double crap

:smug:

Sadly my game is pushing the 4 gig limit and is randomly refusing to save so I'm running out of space to work with. I googled it and the only thing I found was this Tynin guy saying it's not really a bug because the game doesn't support multiple colonies to begin with.

Is it too much to ask that when you visit one colony/battlefield time freezes in the others?

I mean if I play x-com I can do a troop mission without simultaneously having to do other things and that system worked fine.

Also I think the game counts a caravan as a colony. I assumed the original map was deleted after you left it. But the presence of two caravans uses up a lot of resources. I assumed that the game would count a caravan as just a few numbers.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 10, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Okay I need to change gameplay. Having 20 skilled workers and then 60 conscripts just isn't stable in this game even if it is a very efficient way to do it.

I'm going to try and purge the force down to 16-ish workers and then 30 elite soldiers

I'm aim to purge

chem addicts
lazy/slothful (slow movers and slow workers)
brawlers
All soldiers with no passion for ranged weapons
All the old and injured colonists.

Then I'm going to train up medics. Instead of 4 very skilled doctors I'm going for 10 or so just decent medics. Their training will be just putting on and taking off peglegs on all the people I'm purging until the surgery kills them. That way I can purge them with a minimal mood penalty while also training doctors.

Wish me luck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dejawesp posted:

Okay I need to change gameplay. Having 20 skilled workers and then 60 conscripts just isn't stable in this game even if it is a very efficient way to do it.

I'm going to try and purge the force down to 16-ish workers and then 30 elite soldiers

I'm aim to purge

chem addicts
lazy/slothful (slow movers and slow workers)
brawlers
All soldiers with no passion for ranged weapons
All the old and injured colonists.

Then I'm going to train up medics. Instead of 4 very skilled doctors I'm going for 10 or so just decent medics. Their training will be just putting on and taking off peglegs on all the people I'm purging until the surgery kills them. That way I can purge them with a minimal mood penalty while also training doctors.

Wish me luck.

Idea: can you administer smokeleaf to an anesthetized patient resulting in peacefully unintentionally intentional euthanasia?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i don't think so, actually. anesthesia specifically works so the patient has a MAX of 10% consciousness, it does not set it TO 10% consciousness. this is what stops anesthesia from killing sick patients that have consciousness penalties.

so it will calculate up consciousness as normal and then set it to 10% if it is higher.

and anyway, this is deja. he's going to build a viking pyre and force all the unworthy inside, then have one of them throw a molotov at the floor.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

i don't think so, actually. anesthesia specifically works so the patient has a MAX of 10% consciousness, it does not set it TO 10% consciousness. this is what stops anesthesia from killing sick patients that have consciousness penalties.

so it will calculate up consciousness as normal and then set it to 10% if it is higher.

and anyway, this is deja. he's going to build a viking pyre and force all the unworthy inside, then have one of them throw a molotov at the floor.

No no no that's a waste of good surgery practice and useful dead bodies.

I rebuilt my prison for the purpose.

If the green light is on then the resident gets to live for now.

And check out this guy:

He took a hit during a prison break and became a savant. I have spent several in game years trying to recruit him as my special project.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Why not dump them into cryptosleep caskets to preserve their organs until needed?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Slung Blade posted:

Why not dump them into cryptosleep caskets to preserve their organs until needed?

I need medics more than anything because when making a drop pod assault it often happens that the medic gets incapacitated.

But after all my doctors are trained cryo sleep would be a good way to store the rest.

This botched installation of a bionic eye was pretty impressive.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is there a mod that lets me set up animal kill zones?

Want to stop wargs sneaking into my perimeter in winter to kill my cattle/puppies/people.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

just build doors into your fortifications and keep them closed

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Want to stop wargs sneaking into my perimeter in winter to kill my cattle/puppies/people.

I draft all the troops to the defensive perimeter and then use an animal pulsar (at day time) to draw in and slaughter every single animal on the map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

be aware i'm not actually clear on how these defenses stack together (it isn't additive, that's for sure - you are not going to be immune to getting shot in the chest with devilstrand gear + an armor vest) but it drives home the point that we're talking about quite a lot of defense.

I think it's something absurdly weird like "first 50% is damage reduction, second 50% is chance to negate damage, all subsequent % is a bit of both but at half effectiveness"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alchenar posted:

The wall is always the best option, but if you use Colony Manager you can set up zones where things can be set up to be auto-hunted/harvested/chopped for wood.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

After killing off the tired, the poor and the huddled masses I found myself with a surplus of people. So I'm doing all the ones who can't haul and clean as well. Hauling and cleaning frees up time for craftsmen to do other things.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 10, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No one breathes like Gaston,
Has kidneys like Gaston,
No one can be dissected quickly like Gaston

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I need opinions on combat stuff.

Assault Rifle or Charge Rifle?

The Assault Rifle is very reliable and has a longer range. Often my troops with assault rifles will kill off the charge rifle users in quick volleys from range alone.

And how quickly does power armor wear out from regular use? the armor vests wear out extremely fast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Charge rifle I believe performs better within its range but the assault rifle has longer range. I think with how volume of fire works in the game, the assault rifle may be the better bet for your guys. Possibly replacing it with survival rifles for people who are very good shots (because the survival rifle quickly hits 100% accuracy at all ranges but point blank meaning a skilled shooter can hit nearly 100% of their shots with it, other weapons are limited by the accuracy of the gun)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

assault rifles against flesh bags, charge rifles against mechanoids (or power armored humans). that's basically what it boils down to. even then, if you happen to wait or just tide yourself over with scavenged gear before turning to manufacturing your own weapons, charge rifles are generally going to be superior.

the way i handle it is i will hand out m16s or sniper rifles (for shooting 10+) to everyone in the camp early, and then slowly add equipment lockers with alternate loadouts as i get around to making them. first line of alternate loadouts are plasteel knives (and shield generators, as i am able to buy and scavenge them) and later on, charge rifles, plasteel broadswords, and armor vests.

the main way assault rifles win in this entire equation is being available much, much sooner. assault rifles only require machining to make, charge rifles not only require more and very specialized research, they're behind the firewall of 'needs a research coprocessor', which can be a real impediment depending on how easy it is for you to find gold. in that lens, charge rifles can end up being completely inconsequential if you have a couple decent sets of EMP grenades since you primarily want them for mechanoids in the first place.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

God I'd love Z levels and windows, embrasures, firing ports and build a proper castle.

Being able to build a castle with a couple of levels and a cellar for naturally cold storage is basically the entire reason I want a Z-plane.

Well, that and building a second castle and putting in a skywalk between them.

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't want the game to go Full DF but yeah a total of like, five Z-levels would be amazing. Then I could have food cellars and a creepy sub-basement that is packed with cabling and ductwork and sewage pipes, and proper elevated castle towers, and so on.

Yessss.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Coolguye posted:

assault rifles against flesh bags, charge rifles against mechanoids (or power armored humans). that's basically what it boils down to. even then, if you happen to wait or just tide yourself over with scavenged gear before turning to manufacturing your own weapons, charge rifles are generally going to be superior.

the way i handle it is i will hand out m16s or sniper rifles (for shooting 10+) to everyone in the camp early, and then slowly add equipment lockers with alternate loadouts as i get around to making them. first line of alternate loadouts are plasteel knives (and shield generators, as i am able to buy and scavenge them) and later on, charge rifles, plasteel broadswords, and armor vests.

the main way assault rifles win in this entire equation is being available much, much sooner. assault rifles only require machining to make, charge rifles not only require more and very specialized research, they're behind the firewall of 'needs a research coprocessor', which can be a real impediment depending on how easy it is for you to find gold. in that lens, charge rifles can end up being completely inconsequential if you have a couple decent sets of EMP grenades since you primarily want them for mechanoids in the first place.

Is it possible to assign weapons like outfits?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nope, all weapon selections are forced, and unfortunately picking up a shield outright disables your ranged weaponry, instead of doing what is sane and not activating the shield while you're holding a ranged weapon.

that's another thing on the list of things i'd love to mod if i got a spare second in my life.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dejawesp posted:

After killing off the tired, the poor and the huddled masses I found myself with a surplus of people. So I'm doing all the ones who can't haul and clean as well. Hauling and cleaning frees up time for craftsmen to do other things.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those Who Do Not Haul Will Be Made Into Clothing For Those Who Do

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a huge rhino manhunter pack during a wedding. No one did their loving jobs because of the wedding, had to manually order every single task... the doctor just ignoring wounded because he was by himself celebrating the wedding socially.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a dummy's guide to the cthulhu mod? There is a surprising lack of information available on both the steam workshop and the forums.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dejawesp, have you considered building a blockhouse out front of your usual defenses for the people you don't want around but don't have the time right now to harvest? They can act as ablative armor against incoming raids, and if they break and go beserk its no harm done to anything at all important.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dejawesp posted:

Sadly my game is pushing the 4 gig limit and is randomly refusing to save so I'm running out of space to work with. I googled it and the only thing I found was this Tynin guy saying it's not really a bug because the game doesn't support multiple colonies to begin with.

Is it too much to ask that when you visit one colony/battlefield time freezes in the others?

If you're caravaning (hitting faction bases or having lots of world map encounters), I have a memory leak fix mod that should help.

Coolguye posted:

just build doors into your fortifications and keep them closed

You don't even need to keep them closed. Predators will only hunt prey in the same "room" as they are, so they won't hunt anything that they have to go through a door to get to, even if they're allowed to go through the door.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zhentar posted:

You don't even need to keep them closed. Predators will only hunt prey in the same "room" as they are, so they won't hunt anything that they have to go through a door to get to, even if they're allowed to go through the door.

There's got to be some way to take advantage of this to make a Tiger Room that's the only unlocked way into your base during a raid.

Edit: This kind of thing makes me sad that RW doesn't have DF's elaborate automated mechanisms.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 10, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How do you have the patience to set up all those storage blocks for single equipment items?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also is there any mod that makes plague and malaria not a "gently caress you this person dies" unfun mechanic for tribals that isn't just turning them off?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Also is there any mod that makes plague and malaria not a "gently caress you this person dies" unfun mechanic for tribals that isn't just turning them off?

Set a modifier in the scenario that raises the immunity gain modifier for furniture to 110%.

It essentially makes bedrest much more effective, you still have to treat disease, you just don't need real good doctoring and medicine for it not to be fatal.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Carcer posted:

Dejawesp, have you considered building a blockhouse out front of your usual defenses for the people you don't want around but don't have the time right now to harvest? They can act as ablative armor against incoming raids, and if they break and go beserk its no harm done to anything at all important.

This is a good idea!

Zhentar posted:

If you're caravaning (hitting faction bases or having lots of world map encounters), I have a memory leak fix mod that should help.

I'll try it out. I don't see why the game has to keep so much stuff in the memory. If a pawn has a family member couldn't it just store that as a few lines of code on the hard drive for when they are needed later?

Never mind that a caravan seems to burden the game as much as if the pawns physically existed on a map. As opposed to their basic stats and timers.

When it comes to hauling. I used to be tolerant of non-haulers because the game makes passionate level +10 ranged/melee pawns who are just for fighting. But in between fighting I need haulers and cleaners.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

again, if you have a supply of penoxycycline, that's effectively your bulwark against an outbreak of plague or malaria, even taken in reaction. these diseases manifest when they hit 40%, and taking p immediately boosts immunity to 61%. forcing all affected to eat p and then lie down immediately gives them a good chance of shaking the conditions even if they're treated with nothing but herbals from then on out. obviously normal medicine is better but if you're unable to do that you're unable to do that.

p is a pretty easy thing for even tribals to get hold of through trade, since for whatever weird reason it shows up in much greater quantities than medicine when it is on the list to be sold.

if you are unlucky enough to get nailed with malaria or plague in your first 4 months then yeah that is pretty bad, but beyond that it is eminently doable to navigate that particular problem with no deaths.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been having better times getting through malaria lately, but I need real medicine or glitter, and to instantly micro everyone into bed and make sure they have top quality care. I've found that they all start at 60% immunity though when the event hits, so administering penox doesn't help them much.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you've got 60% immunity when the event starts, that means you have gotten a 20% lead on the disease while walking around. remember that a large part of the reason that rage-reloading to the last autosave doesn't help is because these diseases are present during their incubation process and you're gaining immunity to them normally, they just haven't manifested to damage your pawn's systems yet.

in plague's case, it does not actually damage your pawn in a serious way until it is extreme, when it handicaps breathing - before that it's just pain, consciousness, and manipulation, none of which are important if you force bed rest. turn the colonist's normal bed into a hospital bed if you have to in order to issue the rest until healed command. anyway, at that level, you will need an average of 40% heal treatment to beat the disease. that can be accomplished by a level 8 doctor with only herbals. or a level 4 doctor with plain jane medicine. for most folks anyway. old people have a harder time and i'm less clear on what all it takes to make that work.

malaria is a little harder in that it reduces blood filtration (which in turn reduces immunity gain) but it also progresses at a slower rate than plague does, so the two elements balance out a little. the way i prioritize this is that it is that bed rest is even more important. with plague i'll sometimes let people pop out of bed to go get their own meal or whatever, with malaria that is completely verboten. anyway, you need like 35% average heal treatment to beat malaria if you start out at p immunity levels, which basically means that, presuming herbals, you can get away with a level 7 doctor instead of a level 8 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

This is a good idea!

I'll try it out. I don't see why the game has to keep so much stuff in the memory. If a pawn has a family member couldn't it just store that as a few lines of code on the hard drive for when they are needed later?

Never mind that a caravan seems to burden the game as much as if the pawns physically existed on a map. As opposed to their basic stats and timers.

When it comes to hauling. I used to be tolerant of non-haulers because the game makes passionate level +10 ranged/melee pawns who are just for fighting. But in between fighting I need haulers and cleaners.

Generally speaking, you don't want to constantly be accessing the hard drive...but a lot of what bloats the memory footprint isn't something that needs constant access. He probably could stand to offload a lot of stuff like storing literally every pawn you've seen outside of active memory.