Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm sold.

(I was actually sold on Johnny Quest and crew vs. Lovcraftian horrors, but now I'm even more sold)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's so strange that nothing from my childhood seems to die, no matter how minor. Frankenstein Jr.? The Herculoids?

What's next? Major Matt Mason? :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any sign of Atom Ant or Inch-High, Private Eye?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any sign of Atom Ant or Inch-High, Private Eye?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HA HA! not to scale...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

When I'm 94 years old and Kill Six Billion Demons is finally done it's going to be so awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is future quest as violent as any of the Johnny Quest shows were

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Is future quest as violent as any of the Johnny Quest shows were

Yeah, it's pretty violent.

There's blood and death and absorption by the World Eater.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #4

Gilad is the Eternal Warrior. Tasked to be the protector of the planet for centuries. Recently he died in battle and it was revealed to the reader that while he is immortal he can still die, he just chooses when he comes back to fulfill his duty to the planet. Once he dies he is rewarded in that he is reunited with his true love and the children he has had over the years. All died young due to disease and war over the centuries and are preserved this way in the afterlife. In order to return to life and resume his duties he must each time fight his way out of the hellscape that surrounds his little afterlife paradise. Which means saying goodbye to his loved ones and then heading off to fight countless hordes of demons and the ruler of the hellscape, Humongous. If successful he returns to the land of the living to once again be protector of the planet until his next death sends him back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Really, they should just take that batshit Nick Cave Gladiator 2 screenplay and alter it enough that it's Eternal Warrior.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

From Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #4

Gilad is the Eternal Warrior. Tasked to be the protector of the planet for centuries. Recently he died in battle and it was revealed to the reader that while he is immortal he can still die, he just chooses when he comes back to fulfill his duty to the planet. Once he dies he is rewarded in that he is reunited with his true love and the children he has had over the years. All died young due to disease and war over the centuries and are preserved this way in the afterlife. In order to return to life and resume his duties he must each time fight his way out of the hellscape that surrounds his little afterlife paradise. Which means saying goodbye to his loved ones and then heading off to fight countless hordes of demons and the ruler of the hellscape, Humongous. If successful he returns to the land of the living to once again be protector of the planet until his next death sends him back.

The other day I wanted to post the Eternal Warrior sequence where he breaks out of the labyrinth but I didn't like the quality of the pages from Comixology. Is there a way to get high(er) rez pages on Comixology books you own?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

The other day I wanted to post the Eternal Warrior sequence where he breaks out of the labyrinth but I didn't like the quality of the pages from Comixology. Is there a way to get high(er) rez pages on Comixology books you own?

Read them on higher res devices? I have no clue. They always look great on my desktop or my iPad. That's where I usually read them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

Read them on higher res devices? I have no clue. They always look great on my desktop or my iPad. That's where I usually read them.

Same. And Isn't it a digital only series? Can you get it direct from the publisher or is Comixology the only place to get it (in the US)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In The Savage Sword of Conan, Conan fights a man who's gimmick is that he's a serial killer specializing in strangling. What follows is the most goddamn thing ever:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
:black101:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WickedHate posted:

In The Savage Sword of Conan, Conan fights a man who's gimmick is that he's a serial killer specializing in strangling. What follows is the most goddamn thing ever:

Conan comics have some amazing scenes.

One of my favourite ones is where Conan fights a demon whose entire gimmick is that he's unbeatable and unkillable.
And Conan proceeds to kick the ever loving dog poo poo out of it. To such an extent that he starts running/crawling away from Conan. Who keeps beating on him, all the while.

That's bad rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Savage Sword of Conan was the loving best.

I remember they also did a What If...? where Thor gets sent back to the Hyborian Age and meets Conan. After the requisite fight/team-up (Thor's power is greatly reduced) they travel to the mountain where Crom lives and climb it so Thor can ask to be returned to his own time. They climb for what seems like forever until even Conan can't go any further, so Thor continues alone. Crom casts Thor out as an intruder in his domain so he returns to Conan who tells him he was only gone for seconds. They have some more adventures and Thor ends up dying, and the story ends with Conan climbing Crom's mountain again. I forget exactly how the line goes but it was something like,"On that day Conan climbed a mountain no mere mortal could climb.... and on that day Conan of Cimmeria become something more than mortal." :black101:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I remember that story. The takeaway I had as a kid was that he was going to kick Crom's rear end in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

I remember they also did a What If...? where Thor gets sent back to the Hyborian Age and meets Conan. After the requisite fight/team-up (Thor's power is greatly reduced) they travel to the mountain where Crom lives and climb it so Thor can ask to be returned to his own time. They climb for what seems like forever until even Conan can't go any further, so Thor continues alone. Crom casts Thor out as an intruder in his domain so he returns to Conan who tells him he was only gone for seconds. They have some more adventures and Thor ends up dying, and the story ends with Conan climbing Crom's mountain again. I forget exactly how the line goes but it was something like,"On that day Conan climbed a mountain no mere mortal could climb.... and on that day Conan of Cimmeria become something more than mortal." :black101:

They also did one with the opposite premise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jerusalem posted:

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1241824.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gently caress yes, just as great as I remember. Thanks :)

WickedHate posted:

And this was also cool as poo poo!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pretty much every Marvel Conan comic is the best thing ever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Cat is like "Are you seeing this poo poo?"

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

dont even fink about it posted:

Cat is like "Are you seeing this poo poo?"

"I'm red. I'm loving red! And this guy's dressed like a straight-up pimp."

And somehow Conan makes that look awesome.

Although Conan as a pimp in an "I can bed any woman I want" manner might not be too far off the mark. I only know the character from osmosis.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kevos Setzer posted:

Although Conan as a pimp in an "I can bed any woman I want" manner might not be too far off the mark. I only know the character from osmosis.

You should read Savage Sword. Arnie's Conan is a dumb revenge obsessed rear end in a top hat but Conan of the books is deviously smart and does crazy stuff like actually wear some goddamn armor. Movie Conan is a Barbarian, Real Conan is multiclassed in Fighter/Thief.

He's still an rear end in a top hat, though. Just a cool and funny one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The comics have the advantage of usually skipping the racism where it appears in the original stories. Like that Strangler scene cuts the line of Conan bragging about how he hasn't met any "men of West".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 11, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kevos Setzer posted:

"I'm red. I'm loving red! And this guy's dressed like a straight-up pimp."

In that particular What-If, he literally becomes a straight-up pimp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's another Savage Sword of Conan where he breaks into the base of some weird soothsayer and gets trapped in a death pit. The Soothsayer taunts him by saying he'll read him three fortunes from cards, two of possible fates and the third of his almost definite fate. The first two are stories of Conan doing some crazy cool poo poo but dying at the end. The Soothsayer gets to the third and laughs that he always knows what this one will be, the intruder dying in his pit. He flips it over, has a moment to look shocked and then Conan (who has of course used the time to escape) kills him.

Conan looks at the final card, shakes his head and laughs and walks away. The card falls to the ground to reveal an image of a King sitting on a throne :hellyeah:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

There's another Savage Sword of Conan where he breaks into the base of some weird soothsayer and gets trapped in a death pit. The Soothsayer taunts him by saying he'll read him three fortunes from cards, two of possible fates and the third of his almost definite fate. The first two are stories of Conan doing some crazy cool poo poo but dying at the end. The Soothsayer gets to the third and laughs that he always knows what this one will be, the intruder dying in his pit. He flips it over, has a moment to look shocked and then Conan (who has of course used the time to escape) kills him.

Conan looks at the final card, shakes his head and laughs and walks away. The card falls to the ground to reveal an image of a King sitting on a throne :hellyeah:

At this point you're just trying to goad people into posting these panels for you.

Not that I mind, that sounds pretty rad. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Conan's character arc throughout the original books (and Marvel comics) is kind of great. He starts out so disdainful of civilization, only drawn away from his native simple barbarian village by greed, wanderlust, and the promise of power. And he's constantly talking poo poo about how dumb civilized people are, how lame government is, how stupid religion is. But by the end of it, through all his fairly selfish adventures, he gains a bunch of wisdom, and when he finally becomes a king, he's a fair, wise and just king who actually does all his paperwork because he knows it's for the good of the kingdom.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Conan's character arc throughout the original books (and Marvel comics) is kind of great. He starts out so disdainful of civilization, only drawn away from his native simple barbarian village by greed, wanderlust, and the promise of power. And he's constantly talking poo poo about how dumb civilized people are, how lame government is, how stupid religion is. But by the end of it, through all his fairly selfish adventures, he gains a bunch of wisdom, and when he finally becomes a king, he's a fair, wise and just king who actually does all his paperwork because he knows it's for the good of the kingdom.

So, the troubled brow upon which he bears the crown of Aquilonia, is troubled because he's just got so many goddamn forms to sign, and all the assassination attempts are a welcomed diversion from a life otherwise burdened with responsibility

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So he's a slightly less assholish Namor?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Satan himself is like 3 steps down the rear end in a top hat chain from Namor, so Conan's like 50% tops.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Malachite_Dragon posted:

God, now I want the two of them having a bro adventure like the one with Thor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phy posted:

So, the troubled brow upon which he bears the crown of Aquilonia, is troubled because he's just got so many goddamn forms to sign, and all the assassination attempts are a welcomed diversion from a life otherwise burdened with responsibility

Pretty much! Conan makes legitimate attempts at diplomacy and peace with neighbouring kingdoms that inevitably turn to poo poo because the story would be boring otherwise, and he's kinda happy when it means he gets to murder people and have adventures.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Depending on which era of Namor we're talking about, immensely less assholish.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You cant really call anyone in the Marvel universe an rear end in a top hat when Stark and Reeves exist.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The very first Conan story ever published is him discussing how hard it is to rule a country and the fact he can't just bisect a motherfucker starting poo poo like the old days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alacron posted:

At this point you're just trying to goad people into posting these panels for you.

Not that I mind, that sounds pretty rad. :allears:

I wish I had them to post myself! A lot of this stuff I read when I was a kid and it got me to read the Conan range of books (some by Howard, many more by the likes of L. Sprague de Camp) and it was pretty much everything a kid could ever want. The Tower of the Elephant is such a cool loving story and got me hooked immediately.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mr. Maltose posted:

The very first Conan story ever published is him discussing how hard it is to rule a country and the fact he can't just bisect a motherfucker starting poo poo like the old days.

A problem we can all relate to really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I am a big fan of how strong the continuity for the mainline Conan comic was. Any time anything like an elephant would show up, Conan would remember the disturbing events of Tower of the Elephant. It really drove home the power of that story and how it played a part in shaping Conan's worldview.

Savage sword jumped around Conan's life and had more standalone stories, and Conan always wore just a loincloth instead of the armor he had in the original books. I mean, both are good approaches to this kinda stuff, and Savage Sword could really cut loose with the sex and violence, but I do appreciate some continuity.