Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Get a Bob Kramer knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fart simpson posted:

Get a Bob Kramer knife

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should get a Bob Kramer knife

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking to buy a knife as a gift. I'm using the Tojiro DP right now and have been happy with it, but I want to get something with better fit and finish. What are considered to be better options for stainless steel gyutos?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kirtar posted:

Looking to buy a knife as a gift. I'm using the Tojiro DP right now and have been happy with it, but I want to get something with better fit and finish. What are considered to be better options for stainless steel gyutos?

How much are you looking to spend? Any preferences as far as looks, handle type, etc?

Anyway, off the top of my head here are a couple decent options:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sataha24chkn.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

The second one is a better knife but smaller and the blade is not as fancy looking.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The Bob Kramer knives look pretty tits, but I'm thinking of something more in the <$150 per knife range, or a good set for ~$600

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

two_beer_bishes posted:

The Bob Kramer knives look pretty tits, but I'm thinking of something more in the <$150 per knife range, or a good set for ~$600

I think you're going to have to get something made outside the US, as far as I know there are not any options for really good knives made in the US at that price point.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think you're going to have to get something made outside the US, as far as I know there are not any options for really good knives made in the US at that price point.

Gotcha, thanks

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How much are you looking to spend? Any preferences as far as looks, handle type, etc?

Anyway, off the top of my head here are a couple decent options:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sataha24chkn.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

The second one is a better knife but smaller and the blade is not as fancy looking.

Probably western handle and ~$200-300 limit.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 25, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You should get a Bob Kramer knife

These look ridiculous but those handles :chloe:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

These look ridiculous but those handles :chloe:

Not sure if you're looking at the Henckels knives with his name on it, or the ones he handcrafts himself. If not the latter, check out this gallery.

http://kramerknives.com/auctions/gallery/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not really a fan of any of those but i think its because I just like a solid colour

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here's my quote from Watanabe blades about 5 years ago:
270mm Gyuto with a single beveled edge $686.00
togidashi included

That's just the blade, no handle. I paid about $200 for a custom handle from Stefan Keller in Hawaii and $60 for the final assembly by Dave Martell. Prices might have changed and of course it's a custom 270mm.

Here are some pictures Dave posted: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/246-Stefan-s-Handle-Gallery?p=92654&viewfull=1#post92654

deimos fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 27, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Here's a knife I picked up at an estate sale up the street from me. I had it sharpened today, what's the best way to clean the metal?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Here's a knife I picked up at an estate sale up the street from me. I had it sharpened today, what's the best way to clean the metal?

Bartender's Friend.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I like how it looks now, personally.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I don't see any rust, so I'd say it doesn't need to be cleaned up any further.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Those brown spots could possibly, maybe, potentially, be rust, but if you look at it from an angle and it "changes color" it's just patina. I'd keep the patina unless you had some other finish in mind. In that case, Barkeeper's Friend will strip it all off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are magnetic knife racks normally really cheap?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Depends. Is there a particular one you're looking at so we can assess its value a little better? There are lots of factors to consider when choosing a magnetic rack.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nothing in particular I was just expecting it to cost a bit more than £10-15

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
Having owned a steel magnetic knife rack, I would recommend you get a wooden one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
love mah mag bloks

http://www.benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I like my Magblok, too. The magnets are fully hidden by the wood so there's nothing to risk chipping the knife edges on, and there are enough magnets along the length of it that there aren't any weak spots. There are probably less expensive strips of equivalent performance but I have no idea which ones because my Magblok is rad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
Is there any risk of the wood getting damaged if you constantly put a wet knife on there?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It comes with an oiling stick they call "block butter" that should help protect it. But I try and dry my knives off before putting them back on mine.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

For the sake of the knives if not the block.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any risk of the wood getting damaged if you constantly put a wet knife on there?

yeah. I am pretty good about drying my knives, but *ahem* other people don't take it as seriously. one of my mag bloks has some discoloration after 2-3 years, kinda like if you leave a wet cup on a finished wood table. not a huge deal, I don't notice it that much (since knives are covering it up most of the time) - and I'm sure I could refinish the wood if it ever got super duper bad.

I'm kinda more of the 'use nice things' mentality - don't have a cellphone case (also do my best not to drop my phone), drive the poo poo out of my aging luxury car (but give it tlc), let my cats get all up on my nice table (but yell at them when they scratch the poo poo out of it), dry my knives & don't fret about my magblok. when things get worn into the ground, I'll replace them, and will have enjoyed using them stress free for years.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is way off topic for this thread, but the neighbors parents who had an 'off limits' 'nice' dining room drove me up the loving wall when I was a kid. I remember being like 13 or 15 or something, and fascinated with the actually interesting poo poo they kept in their china cabinet, and always being shoo'd away. gently caress you, why do you have nice things if you aren't going to appreciate and use them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Suburbanite trophy cases

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Cross post from the knife making thread. Let me know what you guys think.

I am really pleased with the knife and I think I might make another version of this real soon.

Handle Action

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is beautiful. Do you sell those?

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That is beautiful. Do you sell those?

Thanks. I plan on starting to sell them. That's why i started taking better pictures. I have a Gyuto that is almost complete as well. I think it would be a lot of fun building custom designs for people. This one is a house warming gift for my good friend who just bought a house however.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

PSA: if you're a perfectionist, either don't sharpen knives or don't own an optical microscope :cripes:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2017

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

PSA: if you're a perfectionist, either don't sharpen knives or don't own an optical microscope :cripes:

Fixed that for you.

You will eventually look into getting a microscope if you start sharpening your knives. Though I suggest a usb microscope so you can just look at a large monitor instead.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The OP is quite out of date with broken images.

I want a high-end stainless chef's knife, is Shun Premier a good starting point, or what should I be looking for in the sub $500 range? I like pinch grip and minimal care.

I also want a gently caress-off cleaver to cleave bones. What should I look at there?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

baquerd posted:

The OP is quite out of date with broken images.

I want a high-end stainless chef's knife, is Shun Premier a good starting point, or what should I be looking for in the sub $500 range? I like pinch grip and minimal care.

I also want a gently caress-off cleaver to cleave bones. What should I look at there?

At that sort of price point there are a huge number of choices so it's really hard to say what would be best for you, is there anything you were looking for specifically? Anyway, I'd go over to CKTG and look at Gyutos, maybe ask on the forums over there.

As far as bone cleavers go Dexter makes some gently caress-off thick cleavers that should do the job.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

At that sort of price point there are a huge number of choices so it's really hard to say what would be best for you, is there anything you were looking for specifically? Anyway, I'd go over to CKTG and look at Gyutos, maybe ask on the forums over there.

As far as bone cleavers go Dexter makes some gently caress-off thick cleavers that should do the job.

Just looking at the thickness of that cleaver is exciting. I see the (4lb!) 9-inch version for the same price too, hmm.

For the chef's knife/gyuto, I really want a fancy, but low-maintenance knife, basically this: https://www.amazon.com/Shun-Premier-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B003B66YKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488096773&sr=8-1

I don't have a lot of experience with those sort of high-end knives, and not looking to build a collection, just want one ultra-nice mainstay to kick butt and also look impressive over the decades. The hammered look is really nice, and I like Japanese angles for knives. I don't know what the real difference is between that Shun and my Tojiro DP exactly, but I'd hope there's some.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

baquerd posted:

Just looking at the thickness of that cleaver is exciting. I see the (4lb!) 9-inch version for the same price too, hmm.

For the chef's knife/gyuto, I really want a fancy, but low-maintenance knife, basically this: https://www.amazon.com/Shun-Premier-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B003B66YKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488096773&sr=8-1

I don't have a lot of experience with those sort of high-end knives, and not looking to build a collection, just want one ultra-nice mainstay to kick butt and also look impressive over the decades. The hammered look is really nice, and I like Japanese angles for knives. I don't know what the real difference is between that Shun and my Tojiro DP exactly, but I'd hope there's some.

The Shun is overpriced, it's a decent knife of course, but a lot of what makes it as expensive as it is is the looks, not necessarily higher quality forging. As far as maintenance goes any of these knives will need sharpening once in a while, including the Shun. As far as keeping maintenance low there are a few things to look for:

1) You want a stainless steel so you don't need to worry as much about rust. Note, Stainless means Stain Less, not Stain Proof, if you don't keep the knife dry and such it can still stain or rust so you need to make sure you are treating it right.
2) Never put the knife in the dishwasher, dishwashers are very harsh on the edge on teh knife and will quickly dull it and are very bad for handles. Just hand wash the knife after you use it, stuff comes off very easily with a sponge and a little soapy water as long as you wash right away.
3) Look for steels with good edge retention so you don't need to have the knife sharpened too often, ZDP189, R2 and HAP40 are all good steels that hold an edge for a long time. Of those I would recommend R2, there are a fair selection of knives in R2, it's got good stain resistance and holds and edge well. HAP40 holds an edge like crazy but it's not very stain resistant compared to the other two and there are few knives made from it. ZDP189 is incredible stuff but very expensive and a bear to sharpen, it's also on the brittle side compared to HAP40 and R2.

Other things you want to keep in mind are edge profile & thickness. For instance a knife that is very flat is great for push cutting and chopping but not as good for rocking cuts, you want a knife that suits your cutting style. Thicker knives are more robust but tend to feel less sharp than very thin ones, I prefer very thin ones because they retain a lot of sharpness purely from the shape even when the edge starts to get a little dull.

Anyway, keeping your preferences in mind here are a few to look at:

Shiro Kamo R2 240mm: I have this knife and I can say that it's a really nice one. It's thick enough to feel robust but thin enough to feel quite sharp, it has a nice damascus finish and the steel holds an edge for a long time.
Kurosaki Megumi 240mm: This one has the looks you are looking for. It's in VG-10 which is a great steel, it won't hold an edge as long as the other steels I listed but it's easy to sharpen and should keep a good edge for a while.
Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline 240mm: This is at the upper end of your price range and its looks are more subdued and refined than the other knives but it's made of ZDP189 which holds an incredible edge. If you decide to learn how to sharpen this one will be a real pain but at least it won't need sharpening often.
Takamura VG-10 Nashiji 210mm: Here is a cheaper option, made of VG-10. It's a very nice knife, especially for the price and it has the looks you wanted, a good option if you just want to get your feet wet.

Anyway, I hope that helps out, the videos in the links are useful to get some more detail on the knives so take a look at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Shun is overpriced, it's a decent knife of course, but a lot of what makes it as expensive as it is is the looks, not necessarily higher quality forging. As far as maintenance goes any of these knives will need sharpening once in a while, including the Shun. As far as keeping maintenance low there are a few things to look for:

1) You want a stainless steel so you don't need to worry as much about rust. Note, Stainless means Stain Less, not Stain Proof, if you don't keep the knife dry and such it can still stain or rust so you need to make sure you are treating it right.
2) Never put the knife in the dishwasher, dishwashers are very harsh on the edge on teh knife and will quickly dull it and are very bad for handles. Just hand wash the knife after you use it, stuff comes off very easily with a sponge and a little soapy water as long as you wash right away.
3) Look for steels with good edge retention so you don't need to have the knife sharpened too often, ZDP189, R2 and HAP40 are all good steels that hold an edge for a long time. Of those I would recommend R2, there are a fair selection of knives in R2, it's got good stain resistance and holds and edge well. HAP40 holds an edge like crazy but it's not very stain resistant compared to the other two and there are few knives made from it. ZDP189 is incredible stuff but very expensive and a bear to sharpen, it's also on the brittle side compared to HAP40 and R2.

Other things you want to keep in mind are edge profile & thickness. For instance a knife that is very flat is great for push cutting and chopping but not as good for rocking cuts, you want a knife that suits your cutting style. Thicker knives are more robust but tend to feel less sharp than very thin ones, I prefer very thin ones because they retain a lot of sharpness purely from the shape even when the edge starts to get a little dull.

Anyway, keeping your preferences in mind here are a few to look at:

Shiro Kamo R2 240mm: I have this knife and I can say that it's a really nice one. It's thick enough to feel robust but thin enough to feel quite sharp, it has a nice damascus finish and the steel holds an edge for a long time.
Kurosaki Megumi 240mm: This one has the looks you are looking for. It's in VG-10 which is a great steel, it won't hold an edge as long as the other steels I listed but it's easy to sharpen and should keep a good edge for a while.
Sukenari ZDP189 Hairline 240mm: This is at the upper end of your price range and its looks are more subdued and refined than the other knives but it's made of ZDP189 which holds an incredible edge. If you decide to learn how to sharpen this one will be a real pain but at least it won't need sharpening often.
Takamura VG-10 Nashiji 210mm: Here is a cheaper option, made of VG-10. It's a very nice knife, especially for the price and it has the looks you wanted, a good option if you just want to get your feet wet.

Anyway, I hope that helps out, the videos in the links are useful to get some more detail on the knives so take a look at them.

Thanks for the very detailed response. That Shiro Kamo R2 is calling to me, I think I'm going to have to practice sharpening a bunch before I touch it myself though. Looks like the 210mm is out of stock though.

One interesting (comedy?) option I found was these guys: https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Chefs-Knife-Shogun-Hammered/dp/B01FXYVDEO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 It's bordering on garish, but they are remarkable because I can find essentially no negative reviews. They seem to be marketing masters, are they like the Cutco of China?

• Locked thread