Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

if you ever care at all about the mechanics of time travel in any story, your brain is broken. stop caring about it, forever. all "rules" of fiction are fake.

It is good when whatever rules they have for time travel are consistent. LoT just does whatever the gently caress and it's pretty glaringly bad at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is good when whatever rules they have for time travel are consistent. LoT just does whatever the gently caress and it's pretty glaringly bad at times.

It would be if the show even pretended to take its own rules and premise seriously. As it is, it's slightly dumber and less consistent than Peabody and Sherman. It is astoundingly dumb television done well in the same way Gotham is insane melodrama done well. Neither are good shows, but they're bafflingly entertaining for what they are.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So that episode was good. Right amount of action; clever, interesting dialog; big explosions that wrote off my least favorite character of the season (seriously y'all, she was an awful actress); twist on twist; the start of Director Johnson. Definitely the high water mark of LMD, possibly the high water mark of season 4 so far.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this gets rid of the loving Watchdogs.

Useless to a man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

So that episode was good. Right amount of action; clever, interesting dialog; big explosions that wrote off my least favorite character of the season (seriously y'all, she was an awful actress); twist on twist; the start of Director Johnson. Definitely the high water mark of LMD, possibly the high water mark of season 4 so far.

Nadeer was pretty bad. I don't know what it is about this show and female villains but besides Daisy's mother, they've all sucked. And Raina only became good when she became more of an anti-hero.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nadeer was pretty bad. I don't know what it is about this show and female villains but besides Daisy's mother, they've all sucked. And Raina only became good when she became more of an anti-hero.

Raina became good when Daisy made a Sonic joke about her. That was the exact moment she became good and cool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just caught up on all this season's episodes in the last few days.

-Ghost Rider episodes were very good, though it wasn't clear what the other dimension was, whether it was being dead, and whether it had any connection to Hell.
-Real Aida and Radcliffe dating is a bit strange since John Hannah is 54 and Mallory Jansen is 27.
-Bunions
-MayNot doesn't make any sense. MayB is clearly better, though that's unlikely to be much in the plot going forward.
-Nadeer's brother is gonna turn into a big bad after he resurrects from the ocean and finds out his sister was killed.
-The Superior is a pretty unthreatening villain, almost as poo poo as the Watchdogs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Josh Lyman posted:

-Real Aida and Radcliffe dating is a bit strange since John Hannah is 54 and Mallory Jansen is 27.

I chalked this one off to Mallory playing older than she actually is, and us not knowing how long it's been since they were an item.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought Better Call Saul was the one with the robot toilet?

Robot toilet [everything about it]

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

I hope this gets rid of the loving Watchdogs.

Useless to a man.

look, we don't have HYDRA any more and we need cannon fodder

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

-Nadeer's brother is gonna turn into a big bad after he resurrects from the ocean and finds out his sister was killed.

Really? I'd be pretty pissed with my sister if she shot me in the gut and then threw me out of a helicopter over a large body of water.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's also entirely possible that Nadeer isn't dead, survived the explosion, is an Inhuman, and reports of her death were disinformation fed to the media.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Really? I'd be pretty pissed with my sister if she shot me in the gut and then threw me out of a helicopter over a large body of water.

He's going to blame it on inhumans, especially when he finds out his sister may have been targeted and blown to smithereens by them. It's that whole self-loathing thing we've already seen two Inhumans have.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
All I know is last we saw Vijay, he was at the bottom of the ocean, and the current Watch Dogs HQ is a submarine. I will be very disappointed if those two don't come together in a satisfying way before the finale. :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess for Aida/Radcliffe is that instead of Radcliffe trying to turn Aida into Agnes it goes the other way. Aida tries to "be" Agnes and take her place with Radcliffe. Whether Radcliffe gives into this or is disgusted by it its where the power dynamic between them flips. But just a guess.

Medullah posted:

I chalked this one off to Mallory playing older than she actually is, and us not knowing how long it's been since they were an item.

I mean, sometimes beautiful young women date older men, especially if they're both in the same field and respect each other as peers or something. But yeah, Mallory had to be playing a little older for it to make sense with them being estranged for awhile unless Radcliffe is just a creeper professor who bangs coeds.

Which, really, fits Radcliffe.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

My guess for Aida/Radcliffe is that instead of Radcliffe trying to turn Aida into Agnes it goes the other way. Aida tries to "be" Agnes and take her place with Radcliffe. Whether Radcliffe gives into this or is disgusted by it its where the power dynamic between them flips. But just a guess.

This makes more sense. Radcliffe isn't that sentimental and seems to still see Aida as a thing not a person. Everybody talking about sexbot stuff is projecting pretty hard. Radcliffe has never been shown to have anything other than clinical interest in Aida. If they did spring that, it'd be out of nowhere and this show doesn't do that.

quote:

I mean, sometimes beautiful young women date older men, especially if they're both in the same field and respect each other as peers or something. But yeah, Mallory had to be playing a little older for it to make sense with them being estranged for awhile unless Radcliffe is just a creeper professor who bangs coeds.

Which, really, fits Radcliffe.

It can't be that long. She has terminal, inoperable brain cancer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

This makes more sense. Radcliffe isn't that sentimental and seems to still see Aida as a thing not a person. Everybody talking about sexbot stuff is projecting pretty hard. Radcliffe has never been shown to have anything other than clinical interest in Aida. If they did spring that, it'd be out of nowhere and this show doesn't do that.
Yeah, my instinct is that Radcliffe would reject the idea of it because, as you said, he's not sentimental and the "sexbot" stuff has never really been more than a passing joke. Then again he did pattern her off of a lost love and he's a mad scientist so you never know. But my guess is Aida tries to seduce Radcliffe, Radcliffe rejects her, and Aida snaps his neck.

Aleph Null posted:

It can't be that long. She has terminal, inoperable brain cancer.
Well, you could age her up slightly into her 30s and its still completely tragic but a little less creepy. But yeah, Radcliffe probably just creeped on a student.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Look, if Ms. Grundy can gently caress Archie anything is fair game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also it's not like Hollywood doesn't put female actresses out to pasture once they hit 40

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

boxen posted:

Or he'll put Agnes's mind in another Aida body, and Aida will be jealous, leading up to an Aida vs Bida battle.

:golfclap:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plankboy, can you please gif Mace's wide eyes when he starts charging Shockley?

Also, they really gotta give Fitz and Simmons some props for having such a good track record on countering Inhuman powers without a lot of prior testing and 100% confidence that it'll work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Also it's not like Hollywood doesn't put female actresses out to pasture once they hit 40

It's a floating age, but there is a cutoff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stuff like this is why I watch this show.

I'm also curious how much of these are written by the writing team and how much are improvisations by the actors that the producers decide to keep.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't think any of the actors have any real improvisation background. I can't speak for the show, but The Office cast, many of whom did have a background in improv, said that the vast majority of the show was scripted but their talents led them to make it seem natural. Commentary on the DVDs usually revealed if something was actually improvised, such as when Steve Carell's character kissed a (gay) male character in the first season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that "frak" sounded SO MUCH LIKE an actual "gently caress" I had to replay it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't think any of the actors have any real improvisation background. I can't speak for the show, but The Office cast, many of whom did have a background in improv, said that the vast majority of the show was scripted but their talents led them to make it seem natural. Commentary on the DVDs usually revealed if something was actually improvised, such as when Steve Carell's character kissed a (gay) male character in the first season.

Yeah, I mean I figure they shoot many of the scenes multiple times, during which the actors may add their own little stuff in there. But I wouldn't be surprised if almost everything was scripted.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Clark Gregg spends a fair amount of time telling people on twitter that "obviously improvised" lines were scripted - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just seems to have a particularly geeky writing staff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's some weird romantic notion that many people seem to have of actors improving their ways to greatness. It's like the worship of method acting. It's weird because movies and tv are collaborate effort and acting like the actors are the only thing that matters is really disingenuous.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There's some weird romantic notion that many people seem to have of actors improving their ways to greatness. It's like the worship of method acting. It's weird because movies and tv are collaborate effort and acting like the actors are the only thing that matters is really disingenuous.

OK, now try again in English.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Google translate say's "Niet"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

enraged_camel posted:

OK, now try again in English.

In the mythology of actors, people feel they need to be better writers than the writers themselves. Hence the claim of improved lines for anything that's delivered well.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Improvised. Improved means something else. At least use a dash or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Am I the only one who thought it was weird how holding the new teregin crystals was fine but smash one and everyone's like 'Oh gently caress we're dead!'

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Am I the only one who thought it was weird how holding the new teregin crystals was fine but smash one and everyone's like 'Oh gently caress we're dead!'
They're like gushers candy

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I kind of feel that if you're a Hollywood writer that's bothered by actors/directors getting the lion's share of the credit for your efforts, you're probably not going to be a Hollywood writer for very long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RareAcumen posted:

Snapping one in half is apparently fine now, but knocking it on a hard surface will aerosolise it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pee out my butt posted:

Improvised. Improved means something else. At least use a dash or something.

Yea I meant improvised. New phone and its still second guessing what I type even when the word is spelled correctly.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RareAcumen posted:

It's less "oh gently caress we're dead" and more a bunch of Nazis huddled around ancestry.com and hoping to hell they're not the one with secret Jewish great-grandmothers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I thought the impurities that kill normals was gone now. Maybe they harvested the terrigen from fish (or bought a bunch of fish-oil pills), since that's apparently the purified version after dissolving in sea-water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

flosofl posted:

I thought the impurities that kill normals was gone now. Maybe they harvested the terrigen from fish (or bought a bunch of fish-oil pills), since that's apparently the purified version after dissolving in sea-water.

Yes, they explicitly mentioned this again in the episode.

• Locked thread