Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

FX is going to let The Americans, which is watched by a minuscule number of people, run for six seasons, they don't care about the general audience.

It'll need the magic 6 to become a curriculum for the new private education system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just watched Legion and was impressed. Kind of had a doubt they'd be able to pull off an X-Men/mutant story without a larger universe, but it looks like they're doing it and doing it quite well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

pubic works project posted:

I don't watch Arrow anymore because they constantly write Oliver like he's the loving Batman or something.

To be fair, Green Arrow was basically Batman for years.

Rhyno posted:

:siren:JAMES MARSTERS:siren:

I'm rewatching Buffy and Angel and he is just such a delight in every episode. Granted I'm only in Season 5 of Buffy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Season 5 is a good place to stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Season 5 is a good place to stop.

Agreed but you really should watch all the major Spike moments in 6&7 and then watch Angel season 5 for the ultimate Spike moment.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

Agreed but you really should watch all the major Spike moments in 6&7 and then watch Angel season 5 for the ultimate Spike moment.

I can think of so many major Spike moments in Angel S5 that I can't really figure which is the ultimate. Hole in the world?

Is there a Buffy thread somewhere on some board?

VVVV I don't see why people think Angel is boring. David Boreanaz is a treasure.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I can think of so many major Spike moments in Angel S5 that I can't really figure which is the ultimate. Hole in the world?

Is there a Buffy thread somewhere on some board?

It's a trick question because every Spike moment is perfect and wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0tNqwNpGGQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Spike is still one of my all time favorite characters on TV. I was a little bummed when they made him "Sex symbol" in later Buffy seasons, but he was just so great. Back in the early days of computers I had a bunch of .WAV files that I'd listen to constantly. "It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all of my friends. They don't have a rock this big." is one of my all time favorite lines.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Spike is still one of my all time favorite characters on TV. I was a little bummed when they made him "Sex symbol" in later Buffy seasons, but he was just so great. Back in the early days of computers I had a bunch of .WAV files that I'd listen to constantly. "It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all of my friends. They don't have a rock this big." is one of my all time favorite lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6npX-3fqWs

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I loved Spike when he was the lovable loser villain in the first few seasons but when he hooked up Buffy it was like the characterization drove off a cliff.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Legends S2 is probably the best comic book show on TV right now. It's so stupid it loops around to being good.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I've worked with James Marsters quite a bit since I used to work security at a lot of larger cons - he's a nice enough dude and I'm glad to see him working on something that I'll likely love. Runaways is not only one of my favorite comics (at least for the first couple arcs), it's how I got both my wife and some of my friends into comics. I'm really excited to see this get adapted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saw a news item today that the WGN Scalped series will have a majority Native American cast. My first thought (after, well duh) was, I had no idea that they are making a Scalped series! Love the book, but it's very much in the "anti-hero protagonist behaving badly and self destructively" with a side of "overshadowed by the more charismatic and interesting antagonist" that is about half of all prestige TV these days. Also I really hated WGN's Manhattan, am pretty meh on Salem, though I have heard good things about Underground.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is this sped up, or did Spike sound like a 14 year old the whole time and I just forgot?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Is this sped up, or did Spike sound like a 14 year old the whole time and I just forgot?

Sped up, probably to get around Youtube copyright sound matching program thingies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Sped up, probably to get around Youtube copyright sound matching program thingies.

God drat youtube copyright bots!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Saw a news item today that the WGN Scalped series will have a majority Native American cast. My first thought (after, well duh) was, I had no idea that they are making a Scalped series! Love the book, but it's very much in the "anti-hero protagonist behaving badly and self destructively" with a side of "overshadowed by the more charismatic and interesting antagonist" that is about half of all prestige TV these days. Also I really hated WGN's Manhattan, am pretty meh on Salem, though I have heard good things about Underground.

Gonna have to disagree with you re Manhattan, loved that show, and I mourn it weekly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WGN's Manhattan was a brilliant show and it's a goddamn shame it was so underwatched and cancelled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you re Manhattan, loved that show, and I mourn it weekly.

I wanted a show about the making of the atomic bomb, not about the sexual awakening of the wives at Los Alamos. So, an expectations thing on my part, admittedly, but my opinion is the drama of the actual project was more than sufficient for a show without having to add in all the made-up interpersonal drama. Same problem I had with the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels (and one they fixed in season 3)

I will say the mushrooms scene ruled.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Her is Dinah too? Really?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So tonight's Very Special Arrow really feels like it should have been before the election or something. It's just so incredibly weird to have any show about vigilantes (featuring Vigilante!) talk seriously about gun control.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TwoPair posted:

It's just so incredibly weird to have any show about vigilantes (featuring Vigilante!) talk seriously about gun control.

I realize this is a universe seemingly without a Batman, but he's typically THE vigilante and has very known views about gun control.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Tonight's Arrow was awkward and clumsy and they really should have just vetoed this story because I don't even know what the point was. Was it some "the answer lies in the middle" moral? Or was it saying guns are bad? Or that they were good sometimes? Like I couldn't tell if the pro-gun characters were purposely written to be kind of dumb in their perspective or if that was a legit attempt at presenting that side of the debate?

It was really really weak. The ending with the magical legislation that does everything and nothing with no explanation was hilarious. Especially since this show hinges on people illegally using weapons against each other. I mean, was that some attempt at an artful dig at failed gun laws? Because that doesn't really explain why they fail at all. It felt like a school play depicting the gun debate.

In unrelated news, I have been loving SHIELD for the first time in its entire run since this LMD thing started. I actually care what happens week to week and am excited for the next episode. This story arc is exactly where the show should have been from the beginning, in terms of scope and tone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ToastyPotato posted:

Tonight's Arrow was awkward and clumsy and they really should have just vetoed this story because I don't even know what the point was. Was it some "the answer lies in the middle" moral? Or was it saying guns are bad? Or that they were good sometimes? Like I couldn't tell if the pro-gun characters were purposely written to be kind of dumb in their perspective or if that was a legit attempt at presenting that side of the debate?

It was really really weak. The ending with the magical legislation that does everything and nothing with no explanation was hilarious. Especially since this show hinges on people illegally using weapons against each other. I mean, was that some attempt at an artful dig at failed gun laws? Because that doesn't really explain why they fail at all. It felt like a school play depicting the gun debate.

In unrelated news, I have been loving SHIELD for the first time in its entire run since this LMD thing started. I actually care what happens week to week and am excited for the next episode. This story arc is exactly where the show should have been from the beginning, in terms of scope and tone.

Agreed on both counts.

I have no idea what was going on with Arrow and I feel like I should have stopped watching long ago, but sunk cost fallacy and having not much else to watch now keeps me checking in.

SHIELD: The Thing is a really good story arc and anything that gets Patton Oswald back on TV is a success. The Inhuman story-line was really good when it was about the secret society and mysteries, but it really lost some of the momentum when they made it a big world event. SHIELD is really good when it focuses on its guest characters and intimate conspiracy/agency aspects.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I also agree that playing robots is the appropriate use of the SHIELD cast's talents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It took 4 years but AoS is finally an enjoyable show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watch the CW shows when they come out on Netflix but I saw a screenshot of this week's episode with a dude in the full Mr. Terrific T-Face and Fair Play jacket. So they actually went there, huh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I watch the CW shows when they come out on Netflix but I saw a screenshot of this week's episode with a dude in the full Mr. Terrific T-Face and Fair Play jacket. So they actually went there, huh.

Sort of. He's actually stopped suiting up. His storyline seems to be trending into bringing the gadgets in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it looked pretty decent in the shot I saw, which is more than I expected when they introduced the character.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

zoux posted:

The guy playing Mr. Terrific is an awful actor even by CW standards and he basically existed so he could get Worfed by the villain of the week before one of the other trainees did a thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr. Terrific's jacket looks so... cheap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ToastyPotato posted:

"If I'd had a gun my wife wouldn't have died!"

*flashback to when his wife died, he DID have a gun and the whole thing plays out like those videos I had to watch in high school where a kid brings a gun to class and accidentally shoots the girl he wanted to impress*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bruceski posted:

*flashback to when his wife died, he DID have a gun and the whole thing plays out like those videos I had to watch in high school where a kid brings a gun to class and accidentally shoots the girl he wanted to impress*

This week was groan worthy. I have yet to see a single show try and take on gun control and handle it well and subtle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can't tackle something intelligently when you need to give the dumb side its time too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bruceski posted:

That was hilarious. Dude got the drop on him AND already had his wife at gunpoint. If he had his gun out, he would have just gotten shot in the back and maybe his whole family would be dead instead. And the only reason his wife died was because he shot the dude and the dude's gun went off when he hit the ground, unless that was just some lovely editing.

Medullah posted:

This week was groan worthy. I have yet to see a single show try and take on gun control and handle it well and subtle.

Most shows don't have the balls to go whole hog one way or the other and any "maybe the truth is in the middle" approach is going to come off stupid just like this episode did. The issue itself isn't even really very complicated, but as a society we pretend it is because endlessly debating things is much better than actually fixing anything especially when the status quo has been in one side's favor for a long time. Example: Civil Rights for gay people.

In other news, Legion is pretty cool but I really wish I could just binge the whole season. Netflix originals have ruined me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The "Truth is in the middle" approach is not the same thing as letting the viewer decide their feelings on a subject. Which is what this episode of Arrow did. There's nothing wrong with raising an issue and just putting it out there for people to decide their own take on it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it seriously an issue anymore outside of conservative politicians stonewalling it? Something like 90% of the country supports background checks.

e: By which I'm not saying "lack of gun control is not a huge problem that nothing is being done about." I'm just saying that depicting it as some actual "debate" may be giving the matter more weight than it deserves. It's not some shades-of-gray issue. Most people agree on it.

e2: I'm not watching Arrow so I don't actually know how they depicted it.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The "Truth is in the middle" approach is not the same thing as letting the viewer decide their feelings on a subject. Which is what this episode of Arrow did. There's nothing wrong with raising an issue and just putting it out there for people to decide their own take on it.

There is when it doesn't mesh at all with the show and it makes the whole episode awkward as gently caress. Also as other people have mentioned, it is super awkward to have people mentioning problems with gun control suddenly out of the blue when Wild Dog's been running around all season long with guns blazing (and to a lesser extent, having Diggle run around for 4 seasons shooting at guys). If anything I thought maybe the flashback would reveal how Wild Dog got dishonorably discharged but no instead we got... well, what Bruceski said, a really dumb flashback.

Also while I know no TV producer in their right mind would let their characters unilaterally fall on one side of a hot button political issue and potentially alienate their viewer base on the other side, it is really awkward having Oliver Queen, the ultimate comic liberal, be the guy who won't pick a side.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Am I wrong or didn't Ollie come down firmly on gun control being a good thing? That's why he, a gun control supporter, and the other politician, someone strongly against gun control, had to come together and find a compromise. If Ollie wasn't pro-gun control, what was the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

I thought that was what they were going for until the end part with the "we came up with a bill that gives both sides what they want!" They literally cannot both have what they want. It was lazy and bad. They also didn't really present both sides of the argument? Most of the episode seemed pretty clearly anti-gun (which on this show is funny in of itself) but it seemed like they shoe horned in some pro-gun people to pretend to be "fair and balanced." (Consider that most of pro-gun characters on the show were the more murderous vigilantes, aside from the one politician.) And then at the end both sides come to an understanding they don't even share with the audience (because the writer's probably realized no legislation like this could exist IRL.)

Basically what I am saying is they attempted to portray the gun debate as some incredibly deep, complicated issue, and then oversimplified it to the point that anyone who actually has a real, informed opinion on the issue probably just shook their head and rolled their eyes. It seemed pointless and went no where, because tons of people are going to be shooting people for the rest of the season. It wasn't even informative or educational. :psyduck:

Edit: If anything, it would have made more sense for pretty much everyone on Team Arrow to be pro-gun control. They are literally going around, breaking the law, extra-judicially killing people with firearms, and many of the most dangerous enemies also have guns. Like they should know better than anyone why letting guns flow freely would be a bad idea, unless the show was more openly portraying them as murderous psychopaths who want Star City to be a warzone.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2017