Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Claptain posted:

An email just came in from a client, no subject, no text, single picture attachment.

The picture is a photo of a monitor with notepad open, and question typed in.

Translation:

Is the WAN IP address $IP?
Are ports 4002 and 4004 forwarded to 192.168.1.18

e: I have already replied to email and didn't think that I should have probably typed the response in notepad and take a photo and send it that way.

Take photo of email attachment open on monitor, with sticky-note of handwritten reply added.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Everyone knows you put it on a wooden table then take a picture with your phone

Oh god, we had someone send actual paper mail regarding their kid's (the actual client) case, and made sure we knew about all these dozens of pages of documentation. Noty only did they send copies of some things (such as random rental-housing listings :wtf:), they laid out all their "documentation" on a table, took cellphone pictures to show it all, and printed those out for mailing.

So, a lovely potato picture, printed via lovely B&W inkjet, of about 15 pieces of paper on the kitchen table. Repeat 8x times.

Wonder if we could pull that one on some of the more rear end in a top hat lawyers "requesting" records? (IE, DEMANDING they be provided two days prior to the postmark on their letter.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't think this is accurate.

This was covered last time I mentioned it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Let's not neglect the fax machine.

So, a ticket came in. When my company wants to send out mass emails, we use a 3rd party service called Constant Contact. One team sent out an email blast and would like to follow it up with a more personalized approach, by sending a normal "Outlook" message. Marketing team puts in a helpdesk ticket asking how this can be done.

My company has a central admin support team that does this sort of thing - run reports, create PowerPoints, any type of administrative/secretarial tasks as needed. I figure this task is right up their alley, chat with that team's manager, and send them the ticket. She calls me back saying "Wait a second, this isn't a merge. It's an email merge! I can't do it."

:psyduck:

She goes on to explain how she could do a merge and generate 500 copies of a snail mail letter, each addressed to different individuals, but not an email as she doesn't know how to do that. Okay, fair enough but really, isn't it kinda your job to figure out how to do this? Feel free to ask me for help, sure but my job is tech support, not receiving the buck that you are passing.

In any case I figure it out, test and confirm it working, then send both the marketing and admin teams instructions on how to do this. I then go to update the ticket, marketing put in a note asking for an update as they hadn't heard from admin support. Admin support manager replies saying IT will have to handle it as it's an email merge.

Having sent her the instructions, what's happened here is that the IT guy who's been here less than 1.5 years has just shown the company's longest tenured employee (20+ years) how to do her job.

Eh, let's get real here. You showed her one aspect of how to do her job.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Having sent her the instructions, what's happened here is that the IT guy who's been here less than 1.5 years has just shown the company's longest tenured employee (20+ years) how to do her job.

This isn't that unusual. Lots of people would rather just give someone else any problem involving critical thought.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This isn't that unusual. Lots of people would rather just give someone else any problem involving critical though.

I was just about to say, get used to it bud.

Here I am doing our Finance departments job, creating PO's, contracts, payments, etc... just because nobody in the department can actually be arsed to do it. Specifically, the person whose job it is to actually match the invoices and pay the PO's.
The Xerox bills have gone unpaid since loving July.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Actually knowing stuff is lame, once you wield some power you can just farm poo poo out and force people to do things. Otherwise try and do the same yourself and it's usually met with various types of "I don't know how to do it" instructions be damned.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Totally agree that I showed her how to do one task (that she couldn't be arsed to start learning on her own), and passing the buck is no big surprise anywhere you go. Going forward I will refer future requests of this nature to her though. Really I should have sent the instructions to her whole team.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Crowley posted:

This was covered last time I mentioned it.

Cool, let me dig through over 1000 pages to find it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&userid=34459

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In other news, a laptop came in:

After a few minutes of scrubbing with an electronics wipe, I got the pencil marks off but there are some scratches through the surface:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2017

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

"It's charging"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

"It's charging"
I have that space heater at home. It's very good.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

anthonypants posted:

I have that space heater at home. It's very good.

The one on the left or the one on the right?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Malek posted:

The cleaning spray flamethrowers on the far right.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Malek posted:

On the left, in the foreground.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

anthonypants posted:

On the left, in the foreground.

Take it back now y'all

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Spec buckets now have charging ports??

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
A ticket came in: "Hey, can you please give Rick access to <webapp>? He's a new employee. Thanks!"

Not even a loving last name. I wonder how many of the 300,000+ people employed by the VA are named Rick.

I want to insult everyone involved, but obviously can't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last week we hired a new sales guy. 2 days later he racks up hundreds of dollars on the company card at the strip club. Today he was fired.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GreenNight posted:

Last week we hired a new sales guy. 2 days later he racks up hundreds of dollars on the company card at the strip club. Today he was fired.

He's living every goon's dream :angel:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

GreenNight posted:

what the christ. did he have an explanation?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

I guess he didn't get the sale

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Apparently he was a drunk and the company knew it, but they wanted his rolodex. I guess the strip club was a little too far though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Or you can just keep thinking what you do. No one really cares that you believe it or not.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

because sales makes the company money

you loser.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

In other news, a laptop came in:

After a few minutes of scrubbing with an electronics wipe, I got the pencil marks off but there are some scratches through the surface:

Ive had orthopedic doctors use a pen on one of the 10k+ radiology monitors, presumably marking it for a colleague.
Suffice it to say we never failed them on regular inspection.
(They also never complained and their departments monitors werent required to be up to standard)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

sfwarlock posted:

because sales makes the company money

you loser.

I've only been part of one company that has ever treated support better than sales because he realized the more profitable section was support contracts.

That place had some weird stories... Weird to me in terms of the amount of on the phone drinking you could do

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
The thing is it doesn't even matter is support IS more profitable, actually keeping hold of your existing customers is pretty important. I'm no business genius but it does bug me when on the occasion our Sales team gets that sweet new contract signature from some shithouse company which probably can't even pay their own rent, like what do you expect is going to happen?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Super Slash posted:

The thing is it doesn't even matter is support IS more profitable, actually keeping hold of your existing customers is pretty important. I'm no business genius but it does bug me when on the occasion our Sales team gets that sweet new contract signature from some shithouse company which probably can't even pay their own rent, like what do you expect is going to happen?

"I get a bonus, then I start over again with another prospect. Why, what happens after they sign anyway?"

E. My company has a cycle like this:

Client: I want to do x.
Support: our program doesn't do x
Client: OK thank you for your time.
Client: sales rep, support told me I can't do x, this is unacceptable, I pay you eleventy billion dollars a year you need to let me do x!
Sales rep (in a new ticket): guys client is very unhappy with support can we please get a senior tech to smooth things over and show them how to do x?

I now see why dev has completely walled themselves off from the rest of the company and all communication has to go through another department known for being the most ridiculous assholes imaginable

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
We have to fire 75% of the training class we spun up for the "great new project" this poisoning our potential recruit pool even more than it already was.

No I'm not bitter.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Holy gently caress, a client threatened to sue us, as well as the marketing company that created their website. We are their MSP & webhoster.

So the story goes like this:
They are a travel agency, and they have this backwards workflow where their website (created by the marketing company) sends them an email whenever someone books anything. The website also has a full booking management interface, considering the travel agency likes to go with cheapest deals that's already pretty good. But apparently no one bothers to check that interface, their whole workflow is dependent on the email that is sent to the customer and them. Well a little while ago they wanted to check if the email got lost in our spam appliance or their exchange. Then they told me it's about a message sent in november. No dice, we don't have logs that far back. Throughout the whole thing they maintained that they might have deleted it, but wanna see if it was the mail system. The booking was added in the booking system and the client got the confirmation email.
Anyway, now they've sent a threatening email to us and the marketing company saying we should split their losses 1:1 because it can't be determined who is at fault. They got shot down by both, of course.
It still boggles my mind that anyone would think that E-Mails are guaranteed to arrive. I also don't get why they claim a loss, without them confirming the booking, no legal contract is formed, unless their automatically generated E-Mail also confirms the booking and not just reception.

E:
We also have a web development team but we were too expensive. Just like backups are still too expensive after 4 crypto virus infections.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A ticket came in:
(Please use at least two sentences to describe the issue so we can better assist you.)

Funny, that the text on the support form that the fucker filled out to create the ticket:

I want to insult everyone involved (the people who made that form for us, and the idiot submitting the form), but obviously cant.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A ticket came in:
(Please use at least two sentences to describe the issue so we can better assist you.)

Funny, that the text on the support form that the fucker filled out to create the ticket:

I want to insult everyone involved (the people who made that form for us, and the idiot submitting the form), but obviously cant.

I want to close that ticket so bad

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I want to close that ticket so bad
Oh I did brother, I did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A ticket came in:

Ticket closed, insufficient detail regarding issue.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Monday came in.

One of our security camera NVRs went tits up. HDD failure, and because they're so loving old, there's no option to RAID.

The WiFi AP that supplies internet access to our admissions department is suddenly putting out a signal so weak it can only be picked up mere feet from the AP. This is on deadline day for applications for next year.

A faculty mutiny is about to take place over the new copier, which continues to jam due to a completely unfixable layer 8 issue.

And somehow between dealing with all this, I have to find time to meet with my lawyer and pick up valentine's poo poo for my kids.

I need more coffee.

And scotch.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

larchesdanrew posted:

Monday came in.

One of our security camera NVRs went tits up. HDD failure, and because they're so loving old, there's no option to RAID.

The WiFi AP that supplies internet access to our admissions department is suddenly putting out a signal so weak it can only be picked up mere feet from the AP. This is on deadline day for applications for next year.

A faculty mutiny is about to take place over the new copier, which continues to jam due to a completely unfixable layer 8 issue.

And somehow between dealing with all this, I have to find time to meet with my lawyer and pick up valentine's poo poo for my kids.

I need more coffee.

And scotch.

What do you give your kids for valentines day? Or is it their conception day coincidentally? :heysexy:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Kids don't need valentines gifts from their parents.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
No, he's probably getting valentines day cards for the kids to distribute to their classmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

Kids don't need valentines gifts from their parents.

No but they need poo poo for the school activity that usually happens on Valentines Day.

• Locked thread