Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Evil Canadian posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornbuckle and Blaze from mk2 RETURN

I just went from liking this game to loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Gimbal lock posted:

This thread has been a fascinating ride so far. Everybody on the internet is a network engineer.

Isn't that how most things work? I drive an automobile on a daily basis, and I changed my oil all by myself once, therefore I am an expert on: Internal combustion engines, cam shafts and crank shafts (love me some shafts), automatic transmissions, fuel injection systems, wheel alignment, bleeding the air out of brake systems, fuel pumps, radiators, sparkplugs, gaskets, etc. I talked to the guy at Jiffy Lube and he confirmed that I totally know my stuff.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pearnicious posted:

I talked to the guy at Jiffy Lube and he confirmed that I totally know my stuff.

Unsurprising considering that the last (and only) time I got an oil change at jiffy lube, they forgot to put in the motherfucking oil filter

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dongattack posted:

2 questions;

1: Can you chose a different class for the bot in the "Learn How to Play" bot match?

2: I bought a 1080 and it came with a code for this game, i activated it and it gave me a message something like: "bla bla could not activate at this time, im UPLAY and im retarded", but the code has been used GeForce Experience tells me. Anyone done this before? Is it activated? It's not in my UPlay library, but the Open Beta is in there, tho i can't play it since it's "not installed". That might be because i downloaded the open beta on steam tho and am currently playing it.
Confusing poo poo i know.

Edit: Actually the error message was more like "cannot activate at this time and activated games may take some time to show up", that's why i'm confused. The error message is giving off mixed signals :negative:

The games not officially out yet so that may be it? I would contact customer support

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't get the hang of the berserker. I feel like I should be using deflects more than parries but the timing seems super strict. If its an attack coming the left or right most of the time I just dodge it rather than actually landing the deflect.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You guys are right. Dropping the 7 other players, replacing them all with full hp bots, then letting all new players in, then hanging on the synchronize is totally forgivable. Players not being able to join matches in between rounds, and then dropping everyone who's in the lobby because there aren't enough players is totally forgivable. Splitting groups of friends after nearly every match is also totally forgivable. Because normal folk just don't get how hard it is to make stuff work sometimes!

I don't need to know exactly how cars work to know they shouldn't work, and I don't need to direct movies to know when a movie is lovely.

Not that For Honor is lovely, it's Fun and Good and I'm enjoying it a lot and I'll buy it. However, it's bordering on unplayable sometimes.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gimbal lock posted:

I think I remember being able to set up a custom match against a specific bot. Check under "Custom match" in the main menu and look around in its options to get what you want.

Yeah, it's not true endless carnage good for building muscle memory tho like the "tutorial" bot match unfortunately, it has loading screens and announcers, still it works tho. Thanks!

Exmond posted:

The games not officially out yet so that may be it? I would contact customer support

Yeah, i'm hoping that's the reason too and i'll do just that.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ahhh I am getting salty because I am now in the "I TECHED THAT" phase. Everytime I think I am 100% sure what the guard break tech window is, I apparently am wrong, and you can't afford to miss a guardbreak tech against the peacekeeper army out there because that poo poo takes like 1/3rd of your life.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
A fairly even skill duel in this game is absolutely glorious. Just had a weeb showdown with another kensei and it was cool as gently caress

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Green Man Gaming has this for $48

https://www.greenmangaming.com/game...cr74aAqP88P8HAQ

Anyone found anything cheaper?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
jfc christ no wonder I couldn't counter guardbreak anyone; I thought you were supposed to counter as soon as the split shield icon appears. If you do that, you get your stupid rear end thrown off a cliff. Instead you have to wait until they physically make contact with your character :regd09:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

jfc christ no wonder I couldn't counter guardbreak anyone; I thought you were supposed to counter as soon as the split shield icon appears. If you do that, you get your stupid rear end thrown off a cliff. Instead you have to wait until they physically make contact with your character :regd09:

Yeah that's what finally made it click for me although I'd still rather back dodge (even though that tends to be not a great call for the Warlord sometimes). It also took me an embarrassing number of duels before I realized that you heavy attack to parry when the red icon is BLINKING not as soon as it appears.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Fun game and all that but I think the controller scheme is too much on the right hand side at least when playing the slower characters. I play warden and basically right hand does 90% of the work. You could play the 1 vs. 1 with one hand pretty succesfully, just tape the left trigger so it's always pressed. Maybe not but you get the idea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really, really wanna like this but I've tried both controller and mouse and just can't get the control scheme to click. Controller is a mess too me since I barely ever use them. As for KB+Mouse, I can't get the hang of guard stance switching with the mouse. I keep accidentally switching to the up stance because of my natural hand movements when I don't want to. If I could just play with the keyboard exclusively this wouldn't be an issue but everything can be rebound except for the camera controls, which is a pretty big deal.

My stupid twitchy hands are ruining this game for me.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Also hot reminder: Remember to turn on toggle lock so you don't constantly have to hold on to your lockon while fighting. It should be that way by default but it isn't so :shrug:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there any point to the Berserkers "dodge into attack" skill really at this stage? I find it easier to pull off parries (cause i learnt that first i guess) and you can guardbreak people for free after a parry anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panda clue posted:

There will also be a singleplayer campaign that no one has seen yet, but it remains to be seen if that will actually add value to the game or if it is just a 4 hour taped-together pile of poo poo.

There's tons of videos of the singleplayer on youtube though?

It seems decent but not great. Like, basically a call of duty campaign. There's cutscenes and some thought put into story, but its not winning any awards for storytelling.

Levels look pretty big, involve running around fighting mooks & bosses and occasionally doing objectives like setting fire to houses.

Dongattack posted:

Is there any point to the Berserkers "dodge into attack" skill really at this stage? I find it easier to pull off parries (cause i learnt that first i guess) and you can guardbreak people for free after a parry anyway.

Berserker, Peacekeeper and Orochi can all combo off of the "dodge into attack" so yeah, there's still a point to it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 11, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

It combos directly into a guaranteed guardbreak, which in turn can be used to either start a chain with a light or hit them with the heavy 4-hit twirl attack. Or to just knock them down somewhere.

Evil Canadian posted:

Also hot reminder: Remember to turn on toggle lock so you don't constantly have to hold on to your lockon while fighting. It should be that way by default but it isn't so :shrug:

Toggle lock was hella unreliable in one of the earlier alphas, so I guess that's why hold to lock is still the default. It can also come in handy in group fight, since it's a very quick way to disengage and re-engage, and to cancel out of executions.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'll try to get better at it then!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

I really, really wanna like this but I've tried both controller and mouse and just can't get the control scheme to click. Controller is a mess too me since I barely ever use them. As for KB+Mouse, I can't get the hang of guard stance switching with the mouse. I keep accidentally switching to the up stance because of my natural hand movements when I don't want to. If I could just play with the keyboard exclusively this wouldn't be an issue but everything can be rebound except for the camera controls, which is a pretty big deal.

My stupid twitchy hands are ruining this game for me.

If you can tolerate a little practice, just get in a custom 1v1 game with a level 1 bot and practice blocking its attacks until you start to get used to it. Then try a level 2 though they will start guardbreaking you and whatnot. I think you can also adjust the sensitivity to the mouse for stance change in the settings somewhere.

Another little tip is, use a bind for the down block that a few classes have so you don't mouse it, then use down/left for left block, down/right for right block, and up for up of course.

breaks fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2017

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

At least you can co-op the campaign. Hopefully it's not a bad way to gently caress around for a few hours with a friend/SO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

phourniner posted:

At least you can co-op the campaign. Hopefully it's not a bad way to gently caress around for a few hours with a friend/SO.

Yeah I have held my expectations for the campaign in check (basically "its gonna be poo poo") but the more I see of it, the more it seems decent. Nothing to write home about, but the fact that you can practice your For Honor skills while co-oping with a buddy and smashing skulls sounds like a good few hours.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
This game would be better if you could remap the controller buttons. It's really hard to react in time to counter a guard break when you have to take your thumb away from the stick and move it to the square button. It would be much better if you could rebind square and x to L1 and L2.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

The long rear end cast time on feats is getting me killed all the time :(

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah, though lot of games is about artificial difficulty. I don't mind if it's same for everyone.

Tried to play duels, not the best time to do that around here but still got into only one game that run terribly. Hope that is just beta stuff.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I've had more fun in this game than Chivalry by far and probably even more than M&B crpg. It is good and I've had no problems that anyone has talked about besides maybe the lobbies being a little finicky with people leaving/not enough players.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I want to play this with all of the old cRPG nerds. I wonder if I can make the old green and yellow pig emblem again.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kubrick posted:

I waited until yesterday to buy, and this was the cheapest I could find that was guaranteed not region locked after a week of searching. They also have 20% off of the gold edition ($80 instead of $100) if anyone wants that one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

breaks posted:

If you can tolerate a little practice, just get in a custom 1v1 game with a level 1 bot and practice blocking its attacks until you start to get used to it. Then try a level 2 though they will start guardbreaking you and whatnot. I think you can also adjust the sensitivity to the mouse for stance change in the settings somewhere.

Another little tip is, use a bind for the down block that a few classes have so you don't mouse it, then use down/left for left block, down/right for right block, and up for up of course.

I have been practicing aginanst the bots and can parry them pretty reliably. Its just against a real person who is less predictable my nerves get the better of me and I find my slight hand movements screwing me over.

Another thing that's messing me up is dodging. I'm almost always holding down W because you need to keep on top of your opponent. Then I try to dodge something but because I'm still pressing w the game reads that over s or a and I just get killed. Its really messing up my deflect attempts. Overhead attack? Super easy to deflect. Any other direction? I either dodge through it or just get my head chopped off. Very rarely can I land the deflect and I have to make conscience effort to take my finger off W.

Also am I wrong or is the backstep completely useless? Seems like any time I try to dodge backwards I get hit anyways. If I unlock and do a roll that works fine but the stupid little backstep never goes far enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kubrick posted:

I haven't gotten it yet so went ahead and grabbed this, haven't had issues with GMG before.

Got my key instantly on checkout, plugged it into UPlay and you can pre-load the full game already. So its totally legit.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't gotten it yet so went ahead and grabbed this, haven't had issues with GMG before.

Got my key instantly on checkout, plugged it into UPlay and you can pre-load the full game already. So its totally legit.

Can you buy a steam key through them? I don't really feel like re-downloading the game a third time this month. :v:

edit: If the accounts are linked, would it matter?

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 11, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Char posted:

Is there any decent resource on how to play? The game isn't really helpful in teaching any rhythm pattern. I managed to understand how to guard break cancel after five minutes of failing the timing.

The level 1 bot Raider is destroying me in 4 hits :(

I really wish they would have more bot variety than just the Raider set to 'Heavy Attack'

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

People still question the legitimacy of GMG? I've been using them for years; they're pretty much the top competition for steam when it comes to sales on games. They beat steam prices pretty often for PC titles, and most of the time you're simply buying a steam key from them regardless.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I know there was a bunch of mentions about people creating a million discord channels but I don't see anything in the OP or in Private games, how do I get in on the sweet goon action?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwingeCrag posted:

Can you buy a steam key through them? I don't really feel like re-downloading the game a third time this month. :v:

edit: If the accounts are linked, would it matter?

You can't buy a steam key from GMG, just uplay. (They sell steam keys but only for steam-only games)

If the accounts are linked, not sure, but I think Ubisoft is dumb and would make you re-download it. You may be able to do "locate installed game" or something though?

panda clue posted:

People still question the legitimacy of GMG? I've been using them for years; they're pretty much the top competition for steam when it comes to sales on games. They beat steam prices pretty often for PC titles, and most of the time you're simply buying a steam key from them regardless.

There was a brief period where they were selling some keys that were dubious, and they got some flak from a lot of websites, but they took strides to repair their rep and have never screwed me.

But I just figured I'd say such since people would be right to question something that isn't first-party IMO. Lots of other sites that are less reputable than GMG.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

I really wish they would have more bot variety than just the Raider set to 'Heavy Attack'

You can play a 1v1 duel against the AI and it seems to be a random character with all manner of strategies

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
More emblem fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just executed someone and mid execution, the game suddenly swapped our positions and I got executed instead :psyduck:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just executed someone and mid execution, the game suddenly swapped our positions and I got executed instead :psyduck:

Turnabout is fair play!!

Earlier I had a grappled with the raider grab, and he just sorta fell out and landed while I kept running :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I didn't see this answered in the last couple of pages, sorry if I missed it. The game is up for pre-load on Steam, which looks like it's a separate install from the open beta. Does anyone know if the open beta will just roll over into the game or anything?