Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
If a CIG employee refactors, and there is no game, is there still a parp and will the backers know?

I'm stumped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Klyith posted:

Goddamn this is their art team basically twiddling their thumbs because they can't do anything else productive with their time.

It's not just the art team unfortunately.

Adding Star Marine was a major doodad. Considering CryEngine is made for FPS games, it will likely pull away engineers and programmers away from more important features as well.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'm playing the original Doom. Every time I open a door with a keycard, I think of CIG. I think of their doors, and I'm at first laughing, because they have these kinds of doors, and then I'm saddened by the knowledge that I will never get to encounter demons the like that CIG studios contain behind prison bars lmao

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

i have it on good authority that there's , I'm thinking that they are still chugging away on intricate systems without divulging too much of those details to the general public. They've received ridicule enough for unveiling something pivotal too early, so outside of evocati, I cannot imagine they'll do it again.

I don't understand this train of thought. Right now I'm behind on a project by about 3 weeks after the implementation was rolled back. After the reversion, I analyzed the situation and why it was backed out, but then I also communicated this to all stakeholders, and included a new timeframe with specific milestones. And the funny thing is, the reason had to do with the client. However even though I am spending all day "chugging away" at a new solution, I update the PM on what me and the other engineers are doing- daily.

The only time a stakeholder should worry is when development stops talking for an extended period of time, because it means nothing is happening, and unlikely to change.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

OhDearGodNo posted:

I don't understand this train of thought. Right now I'm behind on a project by about 3 weeks after the implementation was rolled back. After the reversion, I analyzed the situation and why it was backed out, but then I also communicated this to all stakeholders, and included a new timeframe with specific milestones. And the funny thing is, the reason had to do with the client. However even though I am spending all day "chugging away" at a new solution, I update the PM on what me and the other engineers are doing- daily.

The only time a stakeholder should worry is when development stops talking for an extended period of time, because it means nothing is happening, and unlikely to change.

Sorry, your real world experience and capable management skills do not apply to the video game company that's never ever done anything like this before; downvoted

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Which will happen first? Trump being impeached, or Star Citizen lawsuit?

Derek is involved in both

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
CIG stole this screenshot from this dude for PCgamer to use https://www.flickr.com/photos/hasgaha/25321258530/in/album-72157665038017125/

Hes bitching about it in this thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5t89wr/star_citizen_and_squadron_42_will_take_to_the/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chris is loving mental.
Complete loving mental.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Who was that dude who said Derek abused his daughter or something, was it screenshotted?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol at all the citizens running up to kick the football in that thread

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I propose that Reddit use the heated wire test, like in The Thing, and see if the blood lols

If it does, then you've got a drat goon

If it parps instead, you've got a shill

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Who was that dude who said Derek abused his daughter or something, was it screenshotted?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Why are you silent? Why aren't you posting anything about SC anymore? Did they finally figure out you're a Derek alt or something?
hello
  • sq42 is totally folded into the PU (think gamemode like AC or SM)
  • sqlude "grossly mismanaged" and not due until 2018 or very late 2017
  • "A working 3.0 is years away."
  • features "are being cut like sliced bread" in order to hit this year
  • "Biggest failure? Communication."
  • more mocap for integral roles
  • "Current funding is completely insufficient. Backers need to reach deep if they want to see a beta release."

quote:

There's a certain sense of dread here. We get yelled at, told to continue even though we know it's wrong. We do everything we are told, like good little soldiers. Meanwhile the generals are drinking champagne and laughing as the bombs fall.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
TheAgent posts are cool and good

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • "Current funding is completely insufficient. Backers need to reach deep if they want to see a beta release."

fuckin lol like citizen if even one of these is true (you know deep down most of them are) how hosed they are.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Just a random anecdote:

While 'spergs are wasting bucks by the thousands in jpegs, some nerd friends of mine have founded a small think tank/start up to promote space tourism and chase their dream. They might waste their money, but at least they'll have agency while doing so. Instead of being fleeced by a Coke Crook and his Succubus.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

hello

So on that basis, there's just gonna be a trickle of 2.6.x patches?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

his nibs posted:

So on that basis, there's just gonna be a trickle of 2.6.x patches?

2.6.2 Notes:

Toilet moved 2 pixels to the left

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
MORE MOCAP!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's like some back assward supercar startup. So like check this, we built 5,000 sets of doors last month. They're all painted and detailed and the upholstery is loving great. Just like we did last month, and the month before that. We've experimented with all kinds of different paints and fabrics. Funny though we still don't have a car to put them on. I know we promised the best looking car with the best engine, but we're kinda short on car builders and engine builders. We got a fuckton of door experts though so we're going to keep cranking out doors. We got embarrassed when our former race car driver CEO tried to show off the mock up but he couldn't find his keys and then he couldn't figure out how to stick them in the lock and then he broke the key and the lock and tried to open the door by rubbing it with a towel and then the Styrofoam framing everything together collapsed, but seriously that guy's a legend and totally knows how cars work and we're gonna have something to show off soon. But for now check out all these awesome doors. We have a giant pile of them in a warehouse and just think how great they'll look on your car once we figure out how many wheels should be on it. The CEO keeps changing his mind on that and right now thinks 17 wheels is loving cool and way more than just 4 and we're hoping no one tells him that vehicles with 18 wheels exist and we'll have to completely redesign the chassis again but seriously this car is going to blow you away and is completely worth the wait.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

didn't they no-show at short notice for a previous PC Gamer event last year? I'm pretty sure it was pc gamer.

Goddamn this is their art team basically twiddling their thumbs because they can't do anything else productive with their time.

That or the Crobblers think he is Wes Anderson and need the perfect color for some SQ42 shots.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
page 600 hype

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

That door analogy is gud

So is page 600

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/829812887375978496
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830030182887067648
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830034733602050050
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830038380993978369
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830130794962223104

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Don't worry citizens, development is happening because the Foundry 42 office had their first ever Bake-Off!!!! hype!!!!!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I think this guy is suffering from either an identity crisis or multiple personality disorder. He doesn't seem to know who the gently caress he is.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hav posted:

edit: In 'gently caress me' news;

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-fling-social-media-app-died-2016-11

$21 million burned, no revenue.

"In March 2016, Nardone hired his girlfriend Toni Allcock as head of human resources (HR) to handle some of the backlash he started to receive from staff. Allcock did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment."

Everything about this paragraph is perfect.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

nawledgelambo posted:

Don't worry citizens, development is happening because the Foundry 42 office had their first ever Bake-Off!!!! hype!!!!!

In true CIG fashion, Chris Robbetts brought a loose egg, a hand full of flour, a funsized bag of skittles and pictures upon pictures of cakes made by Betty Crocker. The next 30 minutes were spent explaining what he has planned and what to expect in the future, followed by a call for more pledges.

He won first place because nobody had the balls to call him out on his bullshit.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

It's like some back assward supercar startup. So like check this, we built 5,000 sets of doors last month. They're all painted and detailed and the upholstery is loving great. Just like we did last month, and the month before that. We've experimented with all kinds of different paints and fabrics. Funny though we still don't have a car to put them on. I know we promised the best looking car with the best engine, but we're kinda short on car builders and engine builders. We got a fuckton of door experts though so we're going to keep cranking out doors. We got embarrassed when our former race car driver CEO tried to show off the mock up but he couldn't find his keys and then he couldn't figure out how to stick them in the lock and then he broke the key and the lock and tried to open the door by rubbing it with a towel and then the Styrofoam framing everything together collapsed, but seriously that guy's a legend and totally knows how cars work and we're gonna have something to show off soon. But for now check out all these awesome doors. We have a giant pile of them in a warehouse and just think how great they'll look on your car once we figure out how many wheels should be on it. The CEO keeps changing his mind on that and right now thinks 17 wheels is loving cool and way more than just 4 and we're hoping no one tells him that vehicles with 18 wheels exist and we'll have to completely redesign the chassis again but seriously this car is going to blow you away and is completely worth the wait.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

TheAgent posted:

hello
:eyepop:

quote:

There's a certain sense of dread here. We get yelled at, told to continue even though we know it's wrong. We do everything we are told, like good little soldiers. Meanwhile the generals are drinking champagne and laughing as the bombs fall.

Death march pipeline coming alone nicely. I'm starting to think Chris has some other investors. Probably easy to secure interest when the project could look like a sure thing from the outside.

Happy Hour w/ Dave Haddock (writer) video has more "I don't know..."s than I could count. Non-stop dreams coming from chat and he refused to say No to a single one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yay 600 I suppose.
Only 6066 to go.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't get it. If they have 3XX people performing various tasks, and some were hired specifically for work on flight mechanics, art, ships, etc., why can't these people just do that? Does every need to be pulled off to work on tasks outside of their job responsibility?

What's key for the next few updates are:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor
-Zoning/instancing in the mega-map

i have it on good authority that there's supposed to be some sort of decent update to the network code by the time 2.6.2 drops. And, I don't think we'll see many more updates to 2.6.xxx until 3.0. Other than that, I'm thinking that they are still chugging away on intricate systems without divulging too much of those details to the general public. They've received ridicule enough for unveiling something pivotal too early, so outside of evocati, I cannot imagine they'll do it again.

you are using your personal bias to turn this situation into a positive and the longer and harder you do it the sadder it gets.

rather than mock the $8000 of ships you have it just makes me feel bad now.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

lol these nerds will believe anything if it comes from anyone looking like an authority figure

They're the ones who would be guaranteed to go all the way in the Milgram experiment because some nerd in charge wearing a lab coat told them to do it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dale posting on page 600 from my Yaris*

Corolla

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

hello

Can you give any more clarification on the Squadron 42 thing?

If that's true that's the end. Squadron 42 was supposed to have a retail release and it's obvious they've plowed the past 4 years and more than your figures of $70,000,000 into it.

eightace predicted July 2017 for company failure but I'm not so sure they have another 5 months in them if your leaks are true.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

Can you give any more clarification on the Squadron 42 thing?

If that's true that's the end. Squadron 42 was supposed to have a retail release and it's obvious they've plowed the past 4 years and more than your figures of $70,000,000 into it.

eightace predicted July 2017 for company failure but I'm not so sure they have another 5 months in them if your leaks are true.

Honestly they can draw this poo poo out for a few more years if they were inclined. You are viewing this from the perspective of a long term success plan. That dream has been dead even to CIG for at least a year now.

They'd have to downsize n such but the backlash would be small because citizens literally wouldn't believe a video of Chris handing an employee a pink slip because its a negative for SC. Funding would trickle down eventually but by the time this occurs thats literally a few more million dollars in the pocket for the Roberts family.

All they have to do is keep doing the impact marketing of "positive positive positive. Never say one negative thing no matter what even if it makes you look bad". Because when a sucker googles SC they see positive poo poo from the company and large portion of the playerbase will never believe anything negative from silence.

My bet is they last til 2019-2020 even, release their "MVP" and that'll be that. The only way that can be stopped is if the government steps in but honestly this is small fry and international.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I agree as much as I'd like to see some fireworks in 2017, it's not looking likely without an ELE.

Former employees would have to make a lot of noise for that to happen and Chris will use NDAs to prevent too much of that. He already figured that out with the earlier leavers.