Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's doubly shameful since veldaken are pretty much the only magic only fantasy creature they use anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
bring back noggles is what i'm saying

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's doubly shameful since veldaken are pretty much the only magic only fantasy creature they use anymore

eldrazi?

Also we've seen aetherborn and kor recently, although afaict kor are basically pale humans

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

On top of which, there's nothing about a "Snapcaster Mage" that is exclusive to Innistrad. It's a very generic name. It's not like they named him Seagraf Hanweirmage

For example

I don't like the art

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

eldrazi?

Also we've seen aetherborn and kor recently, although afaict kor are basically pale humans

i would tell you to stop owning me with knowing the lore of magic better then me, but i guess im not too sad i keep on forgetting things like this tbh

Eikre
May 2, 2009

JerryLee posted:

On top of which, there's nothing about a "Snapcaster Mage" that is exclusive to Innistrad. It's a very generic name. It's not like they named him Seagraf Hanweirmage

On the contrary, I think it's a very Futurist, "streamline" kind of a name, which puts it at odds with an impressionist/Romance setting like Innistrad.

His flavor text really should have been, "Once upon a time, a magical experiment got a bunch of Ravnican researchers stranded in a Graveyard Matters setting. Whadda buncha assholes, am I right?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

That doesn't even make sense. Most cards are abstract concepts that you can put in pretty much any context. I get not randomly putting a card with a certain mechanics in a set but most cards are generically-named things that aren't tied to a plane.

I'm sure they want to use as much space as possible in a set to push new or current mechanics, and reprints don't really help those unless they're re-using a mechanic such as Landfall in BFZ.

mehall posted:

Core sets used to be excellent tools to craft standard formats by including weird reprints for non-rotating formats and pressure valves.

This is why I'm sad about core sets getting the boot, they were great places to do whatever they wanted or put new spins on mechanics but they had to gut them for their two-set block & faster Standard rotation initiative, which they've already begun rolling back.

And while we're whining about the Magic story, has anyone else noticed that, so far, their new story setups are basically the same Lorwyn/Shadowmoor "one conflict spread out over two planes" formula?

BFZ/SOI: Eldrazi revenge tour/Gatewatch creation, starting on Zendikar and ending on Innistrad.

KLD/AMN: Bolas is up to some poo poo again, let's beat up his minion on Kaladesh and then try to stick it to him on his home turf.

So they solve the customer complaint of "your stories drag on too long"...by giving them four sets to work with instead of three. I guess switching up the mechanics and setting halfway through keeps it fresh from a gameplay perspective (which is more important TBF) but it still feels like they're trying to pull one over on us in that regard. Maybe they haven't done enough sets like this to call this a trend yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next two blocks are "we're recuperating on Dominaria and found some old Phyrexian poo poo [block 1], time to drive them out of Mirrodin [block 2]!"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

i would tell you to stop owning me with knowing the lore of magic better then me, but i guess im not too sad i keep on forgetting things like this tbh

You may not care about the lore, but others do

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bring back noggles is what i'm saying

Noggles come from Irish folklore.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JerryLee posted:

Seagraf Hanweirmage

Mods please Rename me etc etc

Crossquoting this from the reddit relationship thread because it's great

Pick posted:

Anyway, Extreme Couponing is like any other card game, only at the end you're left with a lonely house full of stale Lucky Charms. so exactly like magic: the gathering I guess.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

C-Euro posted:

I'm sure they want to use as much space as possible in a set to push new or current mechanics, and reprints don't really help those unless they're re-using a mechanic such as Landfall in BFZ.

If they used an average of literally one percent of each set--that's 2-3 cards for a large set, 1-2 cards for a small set--for Modern-relevant reprints, and they did this every set, it would at least be taking some steady bites out of the issue. Just replace the set's shittiest, least consequential card at whatever rarity you want to make the reprint. The flavor and mechanics will survive the absence of a Search the City here and there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

Noggles come from Irish folklore.

bring them back anyway

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Death Bot posted:

It reminds me a lot of the times when some poor idiot gets dqed because they didn't waggle their eyebrows right when they offered to split, and it's even worse that the high profile case of this was a non-English speaker getting blown out for it

Same. Everyone in taiwan just says "combat" to mean beginning of combat step. The word the Mandarin speakers say for that is just "combat" as well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Then they say something like "attackers" to move past beginning of combat?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

If they used an average of literally one percent of each set--that's 2-3 cards for a large set, 1-2 cards for a small set--for Modern-relevant reprints, and they did this every set, it would at least be taking some steady bites out of the issue. Just replace the set's shittiest, least consequential card at whatever rarity you want to make the reprint. The flavor and mechanics will survive the absence of a Search the City here and there.

I don't disagree with you but I'm sure Wizards is too entrenched in their former design ways, especially when reprints were exclusively a core set thing, to notice this. Plus they probably have stricter standards for what "fits" with a given block- to use an extreme example, Tarmogoyf would be a really weird card to put into a Standard set now because it was originally from a set that was explicitly trying to be weird, unless they went back to a similar well of weirdness.

Honestly I think Masterpieces show that Wizards can make an old card fit the aesthetic of a new set. However I think they see those as a "good enough" solution for reprints and don't want to put in the work to actually build it into the set and balance things competitively. And they're primarily an avenue for rare/mythic reprints. I doubt we'll see, say, a Masterpiece Path to Exile.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

I doubt we'll see, say, a Masterpiece Path to Exile.

Idk, there's an Ornithopter masterpiece.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

I Tarmogoyf would be a really weird card to put into a Standard set now because it was originally from a set that was explicitly trying to be weird, unless they went back to a similar well of weirdness.

There is nothing weird about Tarmogoyf, it's just an undercosted lhurgoyf, any potential weirdness was that it's reminder text referenced things that hadn't been printed yet. It would have fit into SOI or EMN just fine flavorwise.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

So they solve the customer complaint of "your stories drag on too long"...by giving them four sets to work with instead of three. I guess switching up the mechanics and setting halfway through keeps it fresh from a gameplay perspective (which is more important TBF) but it still feels like they're trying to pull one over on us in that regard. Maybe they haven't done enough sets like this to call this a trend yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next two blocks are "we're recuperating on Dominaria and found some old Phyrexian poo poo [block 1], time to drive them out of Mirrodin [block 2]!"

"This story drags on too long" is not a coherent critique on its own; stories last as long or as little as they should. The way you determine the value of "should," though, is by assessing rhythm and progress, which the three-set block generally failed at.

Basically, the three-set block structure cannot be thought of as "beginning, middle, end," because sets do not directly create such a narrative. They are static, made of cards which depict entities and concepts far more than events. Sets depict settings, and the contrast between those settings drives an implicit narrative about how one became the other. Blocks that successfully connote their story, like the Khans of Tarkir or Shards of Alara, have a very distinct "before" and "after" to depict on the cards. Blocks that fail to tell a story, like Return to Ravnica, are essentially just the same setting three times in a row.

So, justifying a three-block rhythm is a matter of demonstrating not only that the setting is different before and after a conflict, but that the setting during the timeframe of the conflict itself is also substantially distinctive from the ones that proceed and succeed it. This is actually pretty hard. In Theros, we have a placid Greek status quo filled with mortal heroes and monstrous foes, and we have a Xenagomachy full of the agents of direct divine intervention. Whether that kind of conflict leaves the world permanently changed or gets mitigated sufficiently that everything returns to antebellum, you only really have two settings. You might say, "well, the middle setting is going to feature open warfare and mobilized belligerents, which makes it different," but the objects of that war are still going to belong to either the old or the new school. The Tarkir block is an example of this: The middle set actually genuinely is a different time and place than the first and third sets, but from the standpoint of pulling cards, that only means that we've got Khanates and Dragon Hordes coming out of the same booster pack.

So, allocating Set 1 to a setting that has the seeds of conflict baked right in and Set 2 to the confrontation/epilogue just tends to be structurally better. The fact that they can do two such blocks in a year and touch on two settings instead of just one means that events also occur twice as fast. The idea that Battle for Zendikar and Shadows over Innistrad are just two parts of the same fiction means very little, because there genuinely is twice as much stuff going on between the two of them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C-Euro posted:

I don't disagree with you but I'm sure Wizards is too entrenched in their former design ways, especially when reprints were exclusively a core set thing, to notice this. Plus they probably have stricter standards for what "fits" with a given block- to use an extreme example, Tarmogoyf would be a really weird card to put into a Standard set now because it was originally from a set that was explicitly trying to be weird, unless they went back to a similar well of weirdness.

Honestly I think Masterpieces show that Wizards can make an old card fit the aesthetic of a new set. However I think they see those as a "good enough" solution for reprints and don't want to put in the work to actually build it into the set and balance things competitively. And they're primarily an avenue for rare/mythic reprints. I doubt we'll see, say, a Masterpiece Path to Exile.

Masterpieces are first and foremost a selling point for packs. Has anything printed in them reduced the price for a normal copy meaningfully?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

odiv posted:

Then they say something like "attackers" to move past beginning of combat?

the conversation can go several ways.

"combat"
"ok"
"person taps creatures for attack"

"combat"
"ok, casts cryptic"
"person does nothing, sighs, passes turn"

edit: ok let's make it more difficult. The word they say in Mandarin is "攻擊" gongji, which literally translated means "to attack; to accuse; to charge; an attack (terrorist or military)." Does that mean saying that we have already skipped beginning of combat and already in declare attackers step? When every time I play with someone who wants to speak English with me, they all say "combat?" in English. Which is exactly what Cesar Segovia said.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 11, 2017

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Years ago I used to use the phrase "Move to ruckus phase."

I am glad that I have moved beyond this stage in my life.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Olothreutes posted:

Years ago I used to use the phrase "Move to ruckus phase."

I am glad that I have moved beyond this stage in my life.
Now that you've said that, I will now enter that stage of my life.

"I enter the ruckus phase. Freighterhoof crewed by a cat monkey. Pushing in for 5. Anyone to throw down?"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Anyone at Pitt still? I'm at moose loot in the back selling stuff right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

There is nothing weird about Tarmogoyf, it's just an undercosted lhurgoyf, any potential weirdness was that it's reminder text referenced things that hadn't been printed yet. It would have fit into SOI or EMN just fine flavorwise.

In fact, the whole point of futureshifted cards was "here's stuff we might print in a real set in the future!"

But that kind of fell by the wayside just like regular reprints did, I think the most recent one was Nessian Courser in Theros?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sestze posted:

Now that you've said that, I will now enter that stage of my life.

"I enter the ruckus phase. Freighterhoof crewed by a cat monkey. Pushing in for 5. Anyone to throw down?"

Leave the ruckus phase, play Relentless Assault, un-tilt my Freighterhoof and Cat Monkey. Re-enter the ruckus phase, pushing in for 5, throw down?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

In fact, the whole point of futureshifted cards was "here's stuff we might print in a real set in the future!"

But that kind of fell by the wayside just like regular reprints did, I think the most recent one was Nessian Courser in Theros?

Honestly I'll cop to forgetting about that.

Has anyone actually gone to Wizards and asked why they don't do worthwhile reprints in Standard anymore? Have they responded publically with anything besides "it's too hard to balance a set with one older card in the mix"? I know there was that article a couple weeks ago where they admitted to loving up Standard by printing a non-existent amount of hate, but I don't know if they said anything about their reprint policy there as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Honestly I'll cop to forgetting about that.

Has anyone actually gone to Wizards and asked why they don't do worthwhile reprints in Standard anymore? Have they responded publically with anything besides "it's too hard to balance a set with one older card in the mix"? I know there was that article a couple weeks ago where they admitted to loving up Standard by printing a non-existent amount of hate, but I don't know if they said anything about their reprint policy there as well.

it's a combo of "our story is so important we can't destroy the rich lore" and "everything we reprint warps standard"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Riddle of Lightning in JOI, Llanowar Empath in Origins.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GoutPatrol posted:

Riddle of Lightning in JOI, Llanowar Empath in Origins.

Neither of those were futureshifted card frames, so they're really just regular reprints. :goonsay:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Haha. I just had a very long conversation on MTGO about US politics with a Japanese player who was surprised to learn that Trump isn't amazingly popular and was very interested in trying to understand how he got elected and what it means.

#multiculturalism

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

it's a combo of "our story is so important we can't destroy the rich lore" and "everything we reprint warps standard"

So nothing new basically :v:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

So nothing new basically :v:

The specific things they talk about when asked this are Thoughseize and Mutavault, since those two did legitimately warp standard. But instead of, say, trying to make Standard capable of dealing with a powerful card or two, they just decided to not reprint powerful things in Standard-legal sets. Which, as we all know, worked out awesomely and everyone loves Standard now.

There's also fetchlands I guess, but those (combined with the completely insane decision to print fetchable duals in the next block) gave rise to the mind-numbing 4c pile era, featuring Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Collected Company.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you have several powerful cards in standard, then players will need to choose which ones to use, and you'll have diversity. Thoughtseize wouldn't have been nearly as impactful if there were other reprints in other colors around to compete with it.

If you avoid powerful reprints at all costs, then everyone will just use the one or two modern-calibre cards like Coco that you print by accident, and you get the last year and a half of garbage. You get all the drawbacks of a powerful reprint warping the format, except without the benefits of having reprints or having a fun game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you have several powerful cards in standard, then players will need to choose which ones to use, and you'll have diversity. Thoughtseize wouldn't have been nearly as impactful if there were other reprints in other colors around to compete with it.

If you avoid powerful reprints at all costs, then everyone will just use the one or two modern-calibre cards like Coco that you print by accident, and you get the last year and a half of garbage. You get all the drawbacks of a powerful reprint warping the format, except without the benefits of having reprints or having a fun game.

Ding ding. The issue isn't powerful cards. Standard has always had powerful cards. The issue is that there are so few powerful cards. I feel like any top 5 standard deck from theros standard would crush the current one today and it wouldn't be close.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hell, even in the Thoughtsieze era there were plenty of other insanely powerful cards that you still had plenty of diversity. Sphinx's Revelation gave UW serious game, and while some variants splashed for Thoughtsieze and black removal there were plenty of viable lists that didn't. (Also, UW had plenty of solid removal on its own. Detention Sphere and Azorius Charm were serious game). Master of Waves kicked rear end as well, and there was a big enough concentration of powerful red creatures (and also control decks to beat up on) that red aggro also did serious work.

Mutavault was a bit more annoying, because it's a powerful colourless card that fits into almost every deck. Gee, that problem sounds a bit familiar...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I look in the Trade window on MTGO for Aether Revolt boosters I see a whole bunch of bots selling them for like 4.04 or 4.05 tickets, but you can buy them from the store for 3.99. What am I missing here?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

When I look in the Trade window on MTGO for Aether Revolt boosters I see a whole bunch of bots selling them for like 4.04 or 4.05 tickets, but you can buy them from the store for 3.99. What am I missing here?

Tickets are worth less than dollars.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

if you have credit with that bot, you don't have to actually give wizards money to get the packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

Hell, even in the Thoughtsieze era there were plenty of other insanely powerful cards that you still had plenty of diversity. Sphinx's Revelation gave UW serious game, and while some variants splashed for Thoughtsieze and black removal there were plenty of viable lists that didn't. (Also, UW had plenty of solid removal on its own. Detention Sphere and Azorius Charm were serious game). Master of Waves kicked rear end as well, and there was a big enough concentration of powerful red creatures (and also control decks to beat up on) that red aggro also did serious work.

Yeah, even with thoughtsieze around black was an order of magnitude less dominant than Coco or Emrakul ended up being.

I don't understand why wizards thinks standard can't have modern cards. Literally every modern card was in standard once.

• Locked thread