Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

If there's one thing the Expanse tries to hammer home, it's that there's nothing luxurious about space at all. If you want luxury, you stay where there's a gravity well and an atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ersatz posted:

As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm having trouble understanding at the moment why everyone seemed so excited about the character being in the show.

For what it's worth, everything so far precedes the point where she's introduced in the books.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ersatz posted:

As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm having trouble understanding at the moment why everyone seemed so excited about the character being in the show.

Miller and Amos, on the other hand, are both a lot of fun to watch.

Literally nothing she’s done so far in the show is in the books.

In the books, her first scene is on Ganymede.

e: or I could read the next page.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Diogo is my favorite non-book character. It's going to be really sad when his luck finally runs out and he actually gets killed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

404notfound posted:

I really hope they develop Bobbie more once they get to Ganymede. The rah-rah semper fi attitude that she wears on her sleeve is one-dimensional and getting stale, fast.

I hope they're setting her up for something. My read is that her job's an outlet and she fell into a rut with it, turning into a true-believer who doesn't really have anything else going on.

They're either over-selling it or setting her up for some true-believer poo poo. Maybe she'll get into some Charge of the Light Brigade folly, commit some warcrimes, die embodying the hubris of a half-military society that thinks it can eat anything, etc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Introducing Avasarala early was fantastic and she's been constantly wonderful to have around.

Introducing Bobbie early... hasn't paid off quite so well. Honestly my favorite part of her story in the show so far is her CO. He seems reasonable. Like a reasonable adult in a room full of children, you can kind of sympathize with him.

I don't think they're getting Bobbie wrong, exactly, but this isn't a particularly interesting part of her story. I appreciate the jingoistic Martian perspective as giving us a window into how that culture views things... but there's only so far that angry shouting can go. It would help if they were ever not angry. Her team even seems constantly angry with each other, and I don't think I've heard them say anything that wasn't in a shout.

That's basically my only issue with this season so far. I love how good the last episode was, even though it was basically all just people wandering around and talking on Tycho.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think Diogo is my favorite non-book character. It's going to be really sad when his luck finally runs out and he actually gets killed.
Isn't he from the book? I remember a Belter kid Miller was hanging with during and after Thoth station. Was that not this guy?

Wherever he's from, I agree that he's been pretty good, all things considered. A good window into the belt and a good youthful enthusiastic naive contrast to Miller's old weary pragmatism.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I really liked the sequence with Naomi dancing and Alex running the simulation again and again. I think that was neat.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Eiba posted:

Introducing Avasarala early was fantastic and she's been constantly wonderful to have around.

Introducing Bobbie early... hasn't paid off quite so well. Honestly my favorite part of her story in the show so far is her CO. He seems reasonable. Like a reasonable adult in a room full of children, you can kind of sympathize with him.

I don't think they're getting Bobbie wrong, exactly, but this isn't a particularly interesting part of her story. I appreciate the jingoistic Martian perspective as giving us a window into how that culture views things... but there's only so far that angry shouting can go. It would help if they were ever not angry. Her team even seems constantly angry with each other, and I don't think I've heard them say anything that wasn't in a shout.

That's basically my only issue with this season so far. I love how good the last episode was, even though it was basically all just people wandering around and talking on Tycho.

Isn't he from the book? I remember a Belter kid Miller was hanging with during and after Thoth station. Was that not this guy?

Wherever he's from, I agree that he's been pretty good, all things considered. A good window into the belt and a good youthful enthusiastic naive contrast to Miller's old weary pragmatism.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're doing the jingoism with Bobby on purpose for certain reasons that should be evident later.

And yes, Diogo was in the books. Totally forgot about the obnoxious belter kid who follows Miller around until I looked it up again today.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't mind Bobbie and her Jingo crew, between her and the ship's captain we get the different perspectives of "lets go loving kill Earth Hoo-ra!" and "War is hell, let's avoid it." The OPA is the posterchild of different factions and people viewing things differently and being willing to take a different level of actions to accomplish its goals, but we also see that going on in the formal governments/militaries with Bobbie and company and Avasarala vs. the corrupt elements of Earth.

One thing that just occurred to me is how much of a parallel Bobbie's marines attitude and actions are to how lots of Americans reacted to 9/11. After that there was a huge swell of patriotism and sense that we had to go get revenge for our fallen, and a significant uptick in anti-muslim sentiment. In the show, after Deimos all the marines want to go kill Earth then and there and the one Earth-born guy in the crew gets more poo poo than ever from his squadmates.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I can't imagine that an anime was the origin of it, but I remember hearing some commentary from one of the creators of the Gundam franchise about writing anti-war war stories. Basically boiled down to this weird paradox that war makes for very exciting dramatic stories and, when you make a cool war show, you're constantly running the risk of the audience not getting it. Because we will never be lacking for hawkish lunatics that want to kill to validate themselves. So I really enjoy how much effort has been put into The Expanse's brinksmanship being semi-rational to the people in the universe, but utterly pointless to the audience.

On the topic of 9/11 analogies. I was in 8th grade at the time. I remember this kid from my class running through the halls shouting "We's going to war!" He was so loving excited. I wasn't scared at the time, just sort of numb, I remember watching Cartoon Network with my Dad that night because it was the only channel that wasn't running news and we didn't want to drown in it. A couple days later, it hit me that kid wouldn't possibly be going to that war. It was 2001, American wars lasted a year and a half, tops. Ha.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I can't imagine that an anime was the origin of it
Maybe not, but It's a close call. I think they're only a couple or three thousand years behind the curve!

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I can't imagine that an anime was the origin of it, but I remember hearing some commentary from one of the creators of the Gundam franchise about writing anti-war war stories. Basically boiled down to this weird paradox that war makes for very exciting dramatic stories and, when you make a cool war show, you're constantly running the risk of the audience not getting it. Because we will never be lacking for hawkish lunatics that want to kill to validate themselves. So I really enjoy how much effort has been put into The Expanse's brinksmanship being semi-rational to the people in the universe, but utterly pointless to the audience.

The most common attribution for that quote is François Truffaut, but then again he didn't live long enough to watch Come and see.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey book people, do we ever go back to Ceres? Because Anderson Dawes is my very favourite accent of the whole show and I miss his dulcet tones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dancer posted:

Hey book people, do we ever go back to Ceres? Because Anderson Dawes is my very favourite accent of the whole show and I miss his dulcet tones.

You’ll see more Dawes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These martian marines have had no impact on the plot and it's been 3 episodes of cutting to them being all hoorah mindless patriots. I get it, they are brainwashed with jingo and duster pide and want to fight, and their captain is cool and reasonable. I get it, I don't need 3 episodes of cutting to them to remind me. Yep, they're still patriotic marines and want to fight earth, got it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dancer posted:

Fun fact: Anderson Dawes is played by Jared Harris. The father of Jared Harris is Richard Harris, the original Dumbledore.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Nihonniboku posted:

Fun fact: Anderson Dawes is played by Jared Harris. The father of Jared Harris is Richard Harris, the original Dumbledore.

He also played David Robert Jones, one of the best antagonists in the show Fringe. His portrayal of Dawes is spot on, and I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of him soon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm watching fringe for the first time at the same time as the expanse so it was fun seeing him in there.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

ATP_Power posted:

He also played David Robert Jones, one of the best antagonists in the show Fringe. His portrayal of Dawes is spot on, and I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of him soon.

He also was fantastic in Mad Men, and a ray of light in the otherwise insipid Sherlock Holmes sequel.

Basically Jared Harris is amazing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

He's kind of terrible as Fred.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Baronjutter posted:

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

:aaaaa:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PriorMarcus posted:

I never read the books but the actor himself seems fine to me in the role. Do you think he's bad in general or just not matching the source?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve read the books so perhaps I’m biased, but I think he’s not great in general.

Like, he puts on this gruff voice when he’s talking tough with the OPA faction leaders, which is one thing, but then he uses it with Holden & co. like it’s his normal speaking voice (at least when he’s angry). It just sounds silly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

He was Cutty in the Wire and awesome as everyone in that show was.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’ve read the books so perhaps I’m biased, but I think he’s not great in general.

Like, he puts on this gruff voice when he’s talking tough with the OPA faction leaders, which is one thing, but then he uses it with Holden & co. like it’s his normal speaking voice (at least when he’s angry). It just sounds silly.
I've read the books and he seems a perfect match.

But I read the books after season one, so I might have my own biases. I was imagining Johnson as that actor the whole time.

Also, I loved him in the Wire so I'm doubly biased.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I played the poo poo out of Mass Effect, so I couldn't help but think of Keith David when imagining the stern black war hero boss. But Coleman has seemed all right so far, except for one odd beat in the latest episode where he responds "What?" and it sounds really wooden.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

gently caress no he owns

I like his gravely hardass voice too. "I need 50 good fighters, send your best!" needed that and he had it

Also loved that miller's space hair clipper had a random LED in it for no reason

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Chad Coleman is doing a great job as Book 1 Fred. And he's an actor with enough range to do future books' Freds as well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No complaints, although I thought he'd be older.

I might be misremembering though, it's been years since I read the first book.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The thing they gloss over is how long space travel still takes, even with the Epstein drives. Sure you can accelerate endlessly, but only at speeds that would be comfortable to endure. It's mentioned in the books that some of the longer voyages have taken months to complete, although they mercifully don't have too many chapters about not going mad from sharing the same stank air with people for that long. I'd imagine long-haul space travel mostly attracts people who don't mind being alone with their thoughts for long spans of time or the same stories over and over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only time the show got close to this so far is Miller’s trip off Ceres where he just sits in an airport lounge and chats with a chill Mormon dude, but cheap space travel is truly hellish.

You know steerage class on the Titanic? It’s like that, but without James Cameron’s peasant parties. The same amount of asphyxiation, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm surprised they don't have some sort of sleep pods or coma-chairs or what ever for long voyages. Hell I wish those things existed for any flight over 4-5 hours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised they don't have some sort of sleep pods or coma-chairs or what ever for long voyages. Hell I wish those things existed for any flight over 4-5 hours.

They use knock‐out gas on the passengers if they get unruly.

e: Just basic setting stuff, but better safe than sorry.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

These martian marines have had no impact on the plot and it's been 3 episodes of cutting to them being all hoorah mindless patriots. I get it, they are brainwashed with jingo and duster pide and want to fight, and their captain is cool and reasonable. I get it, I don't need 3 episodes of cutting to them to remind me. Yep, they're still patriotic marines and want to fight earth, got it.

As others have already pointed out, that bit was not in the books. I'm fairly sure we are done with that contrived plot-line and it's book 2 stuff from here on in, if that helps.

But yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that either. I get that they wanted to introduce the characters earlier in this season and give a little more mars background that the books lacked at that point, but they definitely could have done it better.

It gets much better from here, don't worry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I expect Bobbie to have at least one OOHRAH scene on Ganymede before it gets good.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

The crash couches are a bit less bare bones in the books, iirc they are described as bid puffy sacs of gel on a sort of gimbal contraption to keep them aligned with the direction of the g-forces. Those not stationed on the bridge also sleep in crash couches in their quarters.

The effects of not getting the juice or not getting properly into your crash couch prior to high G maneuvers is described as being pretty horrific... mostly broken limbs and aneurysms, but sometimes people get plastered all over the room if the gimbals on their couch fail.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I expect Bobbie to have at least one OOHRAH scene on Ganymede before it gets good.

"WHO ARE WE?!?"

"MMC!!"

"WHO ARE WE?!?!?"

"MMC!!!!"

"NOW GET OUT THERE AND PATROL THOSE FARM DOMES SOLDIER!!"

"RAAAAARRRAGGGHH!! OOHRAH!"

~the following 7 episodes are of Draper and her squad patrolling boring farms interspersed with petty interpersonal conflicts~

:ughh:

Svaha fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 11, 2017

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Book Bobbie was way more mellow and professional when introduced I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Real live US marines do poo poo like that, don't see why Martians wouldn't.

• Locked thread