Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shovelbum posted:

All the black stuff he managed to cram into the show makes it look really prescient at this renewed moment of race tensions I caught the moment where Sisko didn't want to hang out in old tyme Vegas and thought it was cool

All the "black stuff" was also a great way to smoke out racists too, who would inevitably whine and complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

All the "black stuff" was also a great way to smoke out racists too, who would inevitably whine and complain about it.

Yeah it's sweet it's a good first question to ask after someone says they don't like DS9 I didn't really clue into it as much on my first view of the series as a kid but it seems like one of those like whoa ahead of its time moments in tyool 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Was that all him or was it part of the general breaking down the Utopian stuff actually?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Clark Nova posted:

Brooks was a major instigator of behind-the-scenes drama by most accounts, so a documentary might not portray him in a very favorable light. Or maybe they wanted him to speak in words and sentences instead of improvisational jazz solos.

Brooks wasn't an instigator. He has a very formal, professional attitude toward acting and it makes him seem standoffish to folks who aren't used to his style. Everything I've read suggests that the DS9 crew get along and had a good time, they just aren't an overly-familiar faux family like the TNG cast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of the Brooks "drama" came from how he was hitting on Nana visitor but she married Siddig instead. That's about it though

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
What the hell kind of name is nana visitor, anyway. That's not a name, it's just someone who drops in on their grandmother a lot.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Have they ever had the Universal Translator break down for most of an episode?

Strudel Man posted:

What the hell kind of name is nana visitor, anyway. That's not a name, it's just someone who drops in on their grandmother a lot.

The first time I saw her name I thought that was a weird quirky name for an alien, I wonder if Nana Visitor is some kind of Bajoran religious title or something.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Strudel Man posted:

Her last name was made up, but nana wasn't, that's what her probably-hippie parents names her, her real last name is tucker. Yeah, I know, weird.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MrSlam posted:

Part of an epsiode, at least, yeah. DS9: Sanctuary and DS9: Little Green Men. And then of course there's TNG: Darmok, which is kind of a special case.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

There's also that episode of DS9 where everybody gets dysphasia, though I don't think that one really counts.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The General posted:

There's also that episode of DS9 where everybody gets dysphasia, though I don't think that one really counts.

FYI that's not what dysphasia or any kind of aphasia is really like. If you get broca's like I get before a seizure you just end up saying "Uh," and "Um," and "You know, like, uh," and you keep repeating stock phrases until a few minutes after you stop flopping around like a fish.

Also exterminate all Skreaans, because they're inferior to even bajorans which is laugh out loud hilarious.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Nigmaetcetera posted:

FYI that's not what dysphasia or any kind of aphasia is really like. If you get broca's like I get before a seizure you just end up saying "Uh," and "Um," and "You know, like, uh," and you keep repeating stock phrases until a few minutes after you stop flopping around like a fish.

so like a twilight character, then.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

so like a twilight character, then.

Lol yeah pretty much except less Mormon.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shovelbum posted:

All the black stuff he managed to cram into the show makes it look really prescient at this renewed moment of race tensions I caught the moment where Sisko didn't want to hang out in old tyme Vegas and thought it was cool

Yeah, I love how there's at least one goddamn character who doesn't fetishize the 20th century and realizes it was really lovely for the vast majority of the human race.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MrSlam posted:

The ep where the Ferengi go back in time to 1947 was like that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The General posted:

BREAD

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm mixed race and holy poo poo, the episode about BLT being split into two people is poo poo.

I just started rewatching the series and holy poo poo, that's the worst episode so far.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I'm mixed race and holy poo poo, the episode about BLT being split into two people is poo poo.

I just started rewatching the series and holy poo poo, that's the worst episode so far.

Doesn't she have like a savage half and lame rear end half

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

shovelbum posted:

That's a perfect explanation. Her human self was terrible.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
does anyone remember the episode of voyager where they came down with an affliction that turned everyone into a really interesting and three-dimensional character?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shovelbum posted:

A strong angry Klingon and a pitiful cowardly human woman. If they really had to go down this road, the funnier/more interesting way would've had it turn out with the Klingon version being calm and measured while the Human version was the angry and violent one.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A strong angry Klingon and a pitiful cowardly human woman. If they really had to go down this road, the funnier/more interesting way would've had it turn out with the Klingon version being calm and measured while the Human version was the angry and violent one.

Well Voyager on race vs. DS9 on race I guess

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

does anyone remember the episode of voyager where they came down with an affliction that turned everyone into a really interesting and three-dimensional character?

No :(

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

:thejoke:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I just realized that I have the season 1 extras and holy poo poo it's funny watching these fuckers defend their poo poo show.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I honestly really like Voyager. I'm really crying on the inside.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I just realized that I have the season 1 extras and holy poo poo it's funny watching these fuckers defend their poo poo show.

Season 1 doesn't even have a proper season finale, it just ends after a pretty dull episode 16. I'm amazed it even got a second season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 1 doesn't even have a proper season finale, it just ends after a pretty dull episode 16. I'm amazed it even got a second season.

People were so utterly desperate for another TNG they kept clinging to the show, as did the studio. Some were driven so mad by the loss of TNG and the rise of trek full of "black stuff" and "angry women" they even convinced them selves Voyager was good.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

They make a big deal about getting Jeri Taylor on board, like that's a big win for women.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

How disappointed am I going to be by this training the maquis to be starfleet episode?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Lol at chakotay bitch slapping a crew member.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How disappointed am I going to be by this training the maquis to be starfleet episode?

In retrospect, after you get through the entire series, you'll think of it like old Scorsese oeuvre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"Why do we need to follow these very simple regulations to prevent accidents and interference with other departments onboard a large starship?! THIS IS BULLSHIT, YOU'RE ALL loving BULLSHIT! :rant:"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Is the opener to season 2 really the bullshit Amelia Earhart episode?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Is the opener to season 2 really the bullshit Amelia Earhart episode?

Oh, you're gonna love this episode. Wait till you get to the best/most-insulting part. You'll know it when it happens.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Let's watch: Enterprise continues:

The internment camp episode was a bit heavy handed, but not too bad. Al, what are you doing to Sam?

The ferengi episode was pretty funny. You can tell they enjoyed it.

Weyoun: Blue Man Group version is pretty awesome.

Did Andrew Robinson ever come play a part on Enterprise?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, you're gonna love this episode. Wait till you get to the best/most-insulting part. You'll know it when it happens.

Those beautiful cities that we never see?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man I'm so pumped to not bother to subscribe to CBS online or whatever and watch STD and for it to get cancelled

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Janeway treats Kes like a slave when she shows off her ear!

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'll wait for STD to get posted to youtube with 3/4 of the screen as a semi-static image and the audio sped up 12% before i watch it. i ain't giving cbs money for anything especially not their dumb subscription service