Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I can't afford a 60 dollar notebook, but I applaud you for working on behalf of the disabled. You are a good person.
Thank you. I know our diaries are pretty expensive and we're working hard to see if we can reduce costs further.

Iznogood posted:

It is quite a lot of money for paper but then again it is for a great cause. I just hope this deal lasts long enough I can get one of these for myself ( moneyz is all gone!!). I am developing a notebook addiction (for whatever loving reason I mean why??) and these look just great. I want/need one. Also being kind of exclusive right now makes this even more tempting. That's not a notebook you can just buy at stapples and I always like this in any product.
The response from this thread has been nothing short of overwhelming (we're actually going to reach a point at which we'll have to cut off orders for the first batch), but I will be happy to extend the shipping-absorbed deal to you for your first order anytime. Please write me whenever you are ready.

effika posted:

We fountain pen users love a quality product with a good cause behind it. And Tomoe River. We'll buy pretty much anything with Tomoe River.

I'm earmarking the money I would have spent on the new Pacific Al-Star for this! (The color is more Windex in real life than the light blue press photos would have me believe, I hear.)
I actually waffled over whether to use Tomoe River for the diaries because it's so, so, so difficult to work with that it slows production down to a crawl. Because of the painstaking amounts of care needed to handsew the paper together, each artisan can only sew and case about two to three diaries a day maximum. At some point we may also offer a line with normal paper for people who don't care that much. But there will always be a Tomoe River version because it's something that this community wants.

Megabound posted:

I know the Australian fountain pen community I'm part of would be very fighting to buy stationary of this quality, especially for the cause as well. I don't think anyone can overstate how wonderful the initiative is.
Thanks. It's been my mission from day one to make a direct, measurable impact with this business instead of just making everything at some random-rear end factory. It's a joy for me to be able to channel some of the energy (and spending power) of the fountain pen community towards sustainably-made stationery for a good cause.

Pixelante posted:

Any time, buddy. It's my hobby and my life at this point. My brother is autistic and our parents aren't around, so I do a lot of work repping for siblings. I'm not directly involved with social enterprise work, but I know some families who are. One makes artisan popcorn, another makes (amazing) chutney, and art is pretty popular. I'm working on a guide for new advocates and will probably write a chapter on entrepreneurship.

I'm also curious where your crafters are located. I kicked around SE Asia for awhile and the only time I saw folks with disabilities was in tourism-engaged workshops, weaving or painting. When you've got time, let's nerd up in FB chat or something.
Our craftsmen are actually in Singapore, at the VWO known as the Society for the Physically Disabled (http://www.spd.org.sg/). The society is non-profit and has been serving the community since 1964. They provide a full range of services to the disabled, ranging from day activities and care to vocational training and transport/medical assistance. I cannot commend them nearly enough - it's a tight ship and everyone there is genuinely committed to the cause.

To be honest with you, most of our artisans had trouble believing that their work was getting interest from an international audience until I showed them all your kind emails and messages. When society doesn't take you seriously and you spend most of your days doing itinerant odd jobs, well - we wanted to feature profiles of our artisans in our upcoming marketing but all of them were too embarrassed to appear.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh wait, I misread that post - I thought they were around $100. $60 is still a lot for a notebook, but if I can get into the place I want, I should be able to swing that pretty easily. Otherwise, the deposit will be huge and then I'll be broke for a while.

It's strange, $100 immediately makes me pump the brakes, but $60 is where I will try to make it happen if I like the item enough (which, in this case, I do).

This hobby costs too much money. It's just writing, so why do I feel compelled to spend my entire paycheck on paraphernalia
Our intention is to always keep the price in reach for the hobbyist consumer as selling it too expensive doesn't serve our social aims. I will say that we have some really, really special projects in the pipeline (diaries cased in actual vintage silk kimono fabric from the 1950s and 1960s, anyone?) that may cross the three-digit price line, but we will always make it clear why the price has to be the way it is. I want you to buy these and show them to your friends, not hold them in my stockroom exclusively for the really rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kessel posted:

Thank you. I know our diaries are pretty expensive and we're working hard to see if we can reduce costs further.

Mostly what I'm interested in is the cover. I can't justify a 60 dollar disposable item, but maybe you could make covers by themselves that slot different sized notebooks? Depending on how much demand you have for that item vs the time it takes to hand-sew the binding, you might have a better market there. But it all depends on what kind of time investments and demand you have.

edit: I am gonna see if a certain disability-centric organization in my city could patronize this

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 10, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

signalnoise posted:

Mostly what I'm interested in is the cover. I can't justify a 60 dollar disposable item, but maybe you could make covers by themselves that slot different sized notebooks? Depending on how much demand you have for that item vs the time it takes to hand-sew the binding, you might have a better market there. But it all depends on what kind of time investments and demand you have.

edit: I am gonna see if a certain disability-centric organization in my city could patronize this

I'm interested in these notebooks for sure, but I would, without reservation, pay $60 for one of the covers with retaining pockets to hold one of the pile of Seven Seas notebooks I have hoarded, or any other book. They're gorgeous.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We are absolutely, absolutely looking at making covers that go around regular notebooks. I can't say when these will be ready + up to the quality level we expect from ourselves (unlikely to be this year, to be honest) but god yes would I like to do them.

I am pleased to announce that you can now place your order at our (incredibly 90s) presale website: (and I swear to god the final website will look nothing like this)
http://musu.bi/presale

There's pictures of most of our current patterns and a link to an order form at the top of the page. Thanks for your support!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

The response from this thread has been nothing short of overwhelming (we're actually going to reach a point at which we'll have to cut off orders for the first batch), but I will be happy to extend the shipping-absorbed deal to you for your first order anytime. Please write me whenever you are ready.

Wow that is just great ! I'll be sure to take you up on that offer soon enough! Thanks!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Heath posted:

Here's a photo of the new Petrol Safari:

https://instagram.com/p/BQNWjA6D0Oe/

When is this going to be available? My first fountain pen was a Safari, and has taken quite a beating since I first bought it. Still a perfectly functional pen, but perhaps ready to be retired. The new colour looks pretty much perfect to me.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm just slightly annoyed that the new limited edition safaris get a black clip, but the 2013 highlighter yellow one that I bought had the standard steel. It looked a lot sleeker when I swapped out the nib for a black one, but the clip isn't quite so easy to replace.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kessel posted:

We are absolutely, absolutely looking at making covers that go around regular notebooks. I can't say when these will be ready + up to the quality level we expect from ourselves (unlikely to be this year, to be honest) but god yes would I like to do them.

I am pleased to announce that you can now place your order at our (incredibly 90s) presale website: (and I swear to god the final website will look nothing like this)
http://musu.bi/presale

There's pictures of most of our current patterns and a link to an order form at the top of the page. Thanks for your support!

I hate them.

I hate them because I've so far managed *not* to get in to notebooks and this is something else that keeps me away from my precious, precious Deltas

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
High end covers for popular notebook sizes would absolutely sell to pen nerds.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

I'm just slightly annoyed that the new limited edition safaris get a black clip, but the 2013 highlighter yellow one that I bought had the standard steel. It looked a lot sleeker when I swapped out the nib for a black one, but the clip isn't quite so easy to replace.

the clip of my Safari is pretty much all chipped apart and looks bad. I would much rather have a steal one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pienipple posted:

High end covers for popular notebook sizes would absolutely sell to pen nerds.

Absolutely

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Here's my Dollar 717i after ~7 months of Baystate Blue

All things considered it's held up pretty well. Also I found out that bleach will reliably take BB stains out of porcelain sinks, which is definitely a good thing to know.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

I hate them.

I hate them because I've so far managed *not* to get in to notebooks and this is something else that keeps me away from my precious, precious Deltas

Dude, it's barely 1/5 the cost of a Delta for one of these at the prices they mentioned earlier. That's basically like no money at all

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Feels like I'm spendin' nothin' at all! Nothin' at all! Nothin' at all!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Dude, it's barely 1/5 the cost of a Delta for one of these at the prices they mentioned earlier. That's basically like no money at all

Don't say it so loud. I don't want them to hear. They get... mad, and it's not good.

NO I SWEAR I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT OTHER PENS.

send help

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Here's my Dollar 717i after ~7 months of Baystate Blue

All things considered it's held up pretty well. Also I found out that bleach will reliably take BB stains out of porcelain sinks, which is definitely a good thing to know.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol has been virtually magical in knocking out BSB. That being said, I have a Jinhao coming in that is going to get the dedicated BSB treatment.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We got some help and gave our website a significant (a really significant) upgrade.

http://musu.bi

I hope you like it!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kessel posted:

We got some help and gave our website a significant (a really significant) upgrade.

I hope you like it!

Check your PMs. I want to help broaden your brand awareness to a bunch of weebs but I don't want to step on your toes when you are planning to raise the price.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Kessel posted:

I hope you like it!

Love the look of these, and I think I'll order a couple tomorrow, if I may. But can I check - when you say, "Diaries" - are the pages plain, or do they have dates and stuff printed on? (I think - I hope - the former!)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Check your PMs. I want to help broaden your brand awareness to a bunch of weebs but I don't want to step on your toes when you are planning to raise the price.
I saw your PM but haven't had the chance to reply. We are absolutely willing to do something like that but based on initial order volume are currently having trouble making enough diaries to even keep up. When we're ready to go wider I will contact you again?

Teach posted:

Love the look of these, and I think I'll order a couple tomorrow, if I may. But can I check - when you say, "Diaries" - are the pages plain, or do they have dates and stuff printed on? (I think - I hope - the former!)

100 leaves, or 200 pages, of glorious, unlined, 100% blank Tomoe River straight from the Sakae Technical factory. As a fountain pen user you WILL love writing in these.

We're still taking orders at http://musu.bi!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kessel posted:

I saw your PM but haven't had the chance to reply. We are absolutely willing to do something like that but based on initial order volume are currently having trouble making enough diaries to even keep up. When we're ready to go wider I will contact you again?

Definitely. Keep in touch, I don't want to swamp you before you're ready, but say the word and I'm certain there are tons of nerds willing to buy them even if they will never, ever use them.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kessel posted:

I hope you like it!

I can't access your website for some reason :(:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't been in this thread for a while but today I got a message from Itoya, stating that they've re-released the Itoya Blade and that it ought to be in retailers shortly (shipping this month).

Maybe someone else loved those things as much as me!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also, when holding a TWSBI eco I usually put a finger in this spot, like right on the plastic but not on the nib

and it gets absolutely covered in ink. Is this suppose to happen?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Xun posted:

Also, when holding a TWSBI eco I usually put a finger in this spot, like right on the plastic but not on the nib

and it gets absolutely covered in ink. Is this suppose to happen?

It sounds like one of your fingers is touching the feed. Try holding it a little further back, that should help - it doesn't need to be a huge amount, but enough to keep all of your fingers on the grip.

The other option is to wear a finger condom whenever you write.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It sounds like one of your fingers is touching the feed. Try holding it a little further back, that should help - it doesn't need to be a huge amount, but enough to keep all of your fingers on the grip.

The other option is to wear a finger condom whenever you write.

Does the feed also include the plastic disk right below where the grip ends? Caus the ink is definitely coming out from between the grip and that disk

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Xun posted:

Does the feed also include the plastic disk right below where the grip ends? Caus the ink is definitely coming out from between the grip and that disk

Are you sure it's coming out there and not just collecting from the cap, possibly when being moved around? The body of the pen is all one piece of plastic, there are no press-fit or threaded parts other than the nib/feed on one end and the piston/cap on the other.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xun posted:

Stay away from that little platform. Lamy Al-Stars/Safaris have a similar setup and ink migrates to it very easily in my experience. So it isn't coming out there, just accumulating enough to get you inky when you touch it.

I have a habit of gripping very close to the nib and if I'm not careful will definitely come away stained.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Picked up 2 Sheaffers and a nice watch at a local antique fair for very little money yesterday, here's everything polished up.

The pens are a 440 in black and a Imperial 2 deluxe in burgundy.

The 440 can be bought as new old stock for petty drat cheap and has a wonderfully smooth nib in it.

The watch is just the right amount of broken, just the correct price and the perfect aesthetic to start me on yet another hobby. Tools have been ordered.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Massdrop has the Lamy 2000 for about 100 bucks

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Managed to get through all the goon orders today. If you ordered a diary (or two, or many), you have an email waiting for you.

Some shipments will go out tomorrow. I can't wait to hear what you all think of them once you get them!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've become enamored with the integrated nib on the Pilot Myu/Murex/M90. Are any pens with a similar nib still in production?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the pilot e95s is a recreation of that pen but is not all metal. Still has the integrated nib just plastic + gold.

Apparently, that design is kinda hard to manufacture so I don't know if anyone is doing it these days.

Edit: if you buy it, dont buy the US domestic version. Same pen 2x price.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The look of all stainless is a big part of the draw, so that e95s doesn't really do it for me.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Just a friendly reminder to flush your new pen a couple of times before using it.

I now enjoy my new Eco much more as a result....

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

Just a friendly reminder to flush your new pen a couple of times before using it.

I now enjoy my new Eco much more as a result....

I just take all of my new pens completely apart (well, as far as possible anyway), clean every part, relube where necessary, and reinstall everything. It's a habit that I've carried over from vaping and it seems to work well enough.

Just out of curiousity, what wasn't working well about the Eco before you flushed it?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I have a Pilot Metro with a fine nib using Namiki ink (NC-100) cartridges that I use for work at my office. The ink keeps splattering out of the pen when I close the cap and it's all over the nib.

Is this a pen or an ink issue?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

taqueso posted:

I've become enamored with the integrated nib on the Pilot Myu/Murex/M90. Are any pens with a similar nib still in production?

Waterman Carene, but it isn't as minimalist.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Massdrop has the Lamy 2000 for about 100 bucks

If you are in the US :-(
Sent a private message about those great notebooks!
Got my free fountain pen revolution pen cannot remember the name but it is a clear demo with a flex nib. Very smooth love it. Also got my Hero 901 and I must say it is beautiful and writes incredibly well. The cap is a bitch to take off tho. So tight.

Not related to fountain pens also ordered a new keyboard because this one here is acting up (tripling sss for example) and it is driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I have a Pilot Metro with a fine nib using Namiki ink (NC-100) cartridges that I use for work at my office. The ink keeps splattering out of the pen when I close the cap and it's all over the nib.

Is this a pen or an ink issue?

I had something similar going on with my metro and it had quite a bit of ink in the cap that would get on the nib when I closed the cap. I'm not really sure how/why it had leaked into the cap, but it stopped after I cleaned everything and put it back together. I assume something feed related had a small leak.