Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABC7News/status/830172462243528704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why the gently caress does Arby's have data to breach?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

why the gently caress does Arby's have data to breach?

quote:

The malware allows hackers to steal data as a credit or debit card is swiped at the cash register, similar to breaches that have occurred at Target and Home Depot in the past.

I was secretly hoping they'd been profiling their customers somehow. or maybe someone breached their promotions systems and we get a dump of everyone signed up for the value meal club

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

does your passport have your place of birth on it?

all us passports do

unless you were born in international waters or on an international flight in which case it will say AT SEA or IN THE AIR

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

all us passports do

unless you were born in international waters or on an international flight in which case it will say AT SEA or IN THE AIR

ah, in Canada people from certain countries can opt to have it omitted. some Iranian friends of mine have theirs omitted on the advice of the passport office, to ease entry into the US and other countries

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait... is that shared services canada's cybersecurity firewall?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

ah, in Canada people from certain countries can opt to have it omitted. some Iranian friends of mine have theirs omitted on the advice of the passport office, to ease entry into the US and other countries

thats cool

i read about a danish palestinian guy whose passport says "israel" and they refuse to change it even though he was born before the state of israel. thats not so cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vodkat posted:

proof that shagger is the whitest of the white :911:

u have no idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

u have no idea.

there have been hints

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DuckConference posted:

what is the sec thread approved method for crossing a border now? Make dummy social media accounts, claim not to have them, change the password before and after crossing?

All though it is now explicitly legal for customs to go through your poo poo that way, in actuality that type of "extreme" vetting will be rare enough so that it's not worth doing anything out of the ordinary. Just don't unlock your phone, problem solved. If you get hassled you are in for days of pain anyway, and cooperation won't help you so enable the secure erase feature, and tell them to brute force it or send you back.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

:canada: here, never saw the option :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Knight posted:

:canada: here, never saw the option :iiam:

It's a different application form. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/omit-place-birth.asp

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the only safe computer is a dead computer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Idk zombie machines are p good at ddosing stuff these days

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

and even if you do guess what gently caress you

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/another-canadian-citizen-refused-entry-united-states-border-1.3976230

Another Canadian with Moroccan roots has been refused entry at Quebec's border with the United States after being questioned for five hours and having his phone searched.

Yassine Aber, a 19-year-old kinesiology student at the University of Sherbrooke, was denied entry Thursday while trying to cross the border at Stanstead, Que.

Aber was travelling to a track meet in Boston with other members of the university's track-and-field team. He was born in Canada to parents who were originally from Morocco and was travelling on a valid Canadian passport.

Four other Canadian citizens of Moroccan heritage were denied entry at a different border crossing into Vermont on Saturday after facing questions about their Moroccan roots and their Muslim faith.

that hotbed of terrorist activity morocco

but don't lie to dhs/ice or you'll get held up forever

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

flakeloaf posted:

and even if you do guess what gently caress you

that hotbed of terrorist activity morocco

but don't lie to dhs/ice or you'll get held up forever

You guys realize all this poo poo happened before trump as well, right? CBP literally recruits on neonazi sites.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a witch posted:

You guys realize all this poo poo happened before trump as well, right? CBP literally recruits on neonazi sites.

Well good thing it's getting publicized now

E: note to self and also you: STFU, D&D is that way ->

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 11, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Captain Foo posted:

Well good thing it's getting publicized now

E: note to self and also you: STFU, D&D is that way ->

yes. please post about this in d&d

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

seriously though just log out of your poo poo and put the password in a password safe on dropbox, that's probalby good enough and it doesn't put you in a position where you need to lie to keep someone else from having your passwords to your angsty myspace poetry

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

when you grow up you'll get Global Entry and Precheck and have that experience every time
ya these are both real nice

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

seriously though just log out of your poo poo and put the password in a password safe on dropbox, that's probalby good enough and it doesn't put you in a position where you need to lie to keep someone else from having your passwords to your angsty myspace poetry

would they then ask you for your dropbox creds and the safe password?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Kickstarter just forced me to change password. Did they get popped?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vOv posted:

would they then ask you for your dropbox creds and the safe password?

then they'd have to get the wifi working or find internet access and know how to work the programs and :effort: move along citizen

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/830467310624309248

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

more twitter

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/830483727281164288

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

f-prot

this wouldn't be the first time a soda company has hosed around in latin america

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OSI bean dip posted:

this wouldn't be the first time a soda company has hosed around in latin america

:(

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

on a secfuc note, how long should i expect to spend convincing CBP that i do not, in fact, have a social media account?

ok i've been out of the news loop. What.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 12, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CPB has been detaining foreign nationals at the border and demanding passwords to the social media accounts, among other things

depending on your level of cooperation and melanin, you may be rejected at the border, which is bad if you happen to conduct business in the us of a

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

CPB has been detaining foreign nationals at the border and demanding passwords to the social media accounts, among other things

depending on your level of cooperation and melanin, you may be rejected at the border, which is bad if you happen to conduct business in the us of a

loving good. Let international companies straight up abandon the USA. Cob is a straight up white supremacist org and the sooner people learn about it the better

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

keep loving that chicken in the secfuck thread, it's not like we don't have an entire loving forum to listen to this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BiohazrD posted:

loving good. Let international companies straight up abandon the USA. Cob is a straight up white supremacist org and the sooner people learn about it the better

dont wait for europe to pull out. we're twice as racist as yall :racistsmiley:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stop making GBS threads this thread up with D&D'ing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry i know

i just didnt want midjack to have the last word on it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i hear a lot of people saying AD is real bad wrt cyber security

can someone give me the rundown on why it's bad and how the heck are you supposed to replace it's functionality?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the best way to convince someone you don't have social media accounts is to go into a rant about the virtues of not owning a tv

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i hear a lot of people saying AD is real bad wrt cyber security

can someone give me the rundown on why it's bad and how the heck are you supposed to replace it's functionality?

AD active directory? except for having to use Microsoft products having centralized accounts and poo poo it's good

also your second "it's" shouldn't have an apostrophe

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the weakest part of AD is all the servers and desktops storing kerberos tickets and hashes in memory to get retrieved with mimikatz et al, but MS keeps adding new features to minimize that. the chance of your average Fortune 500/1000 enabling them is nonexistent but hey.

the adsecurity.org guy cares way too much about AD security and has easy to read and well cited articles if you want to read more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

power botton posted:

the weakest part of AD is all the servers and desktops storing kerberos tickets and hashes in memory to get retrieved with mimikatz et al, but MS keeps adding new features to minimize that. the chance of your average Fortune 500/1000 enabling them is nonexistent but hey.

the adsecurity.org guy cares way too much about AD security and has easy to read and well cited articles if you want to read more.
imo the weakest part of AD is how easy it lets you shoot yourself in the security foot, like for example making domain-wide admin service accounts that have access to everything, never expire, and never require password changes

there's no fixing stupid, but you could at least give a warning / confirmation popup

• Locked thread