Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Yeah, I can ride again at the start of June. I have a meeting with the surgeon next week and I'm gonna ask if I can get back on it sooner.

I'm down for meeting up. Probably Saturday?

I hope all goes well with the doctors.

Saturday works for me, I'm working and get out of here at 10am, so I'll meet you all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Had a followup with the surgeon today, got cleared to ride!!!!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Had a followup with the surgeon today, got cleared to ride!!!!

Good deal, not it's supposed to rain for the next week. Though I have brand new road pilot 4 (GTs) on the Bandit and THe micro-Duke to play with if you want to head out.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I would like to try the duke sometime. But I do still own the BMW and my track bike. The DRZ is the only one that got the axe.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I would like to try the duke sometime. But I do still own the BMW and my track bike. The DRZ is the only one that got the axe.

You know where I live, knock on the door and borrow it some time.

Motorcycle show tickets purchased. Though there's no KTM booth this tear according to the vendor list. I am somewhat disappointed.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Anyone know a good suspension shop in the area? I think I'm going to have my front forks revalved and the rear shock rebuilt on the F4i.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The cycle center has a board of shops in the area that does tuning and setup, there are a few that advertise doing work for the local series.
The CMRA has a forum, you might be better served posting there.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Skreemer was there for this, but I bought a tire changing machine! Tire changes at my house in the future. Bring booze.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
If I hear back from MNS about buying his unused-at-the-moment PR4s I would like to take you up on that sometime soon. I have pretty good taste in booze if I may say so myself.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I need to check this page more often, dangit. I see Kuffs is cleared to ride again!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Anyone else have zero interest in some silly football game on Sunday? Weather is looking good for a ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'll go on a ride. Where you wanna go?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I completely forgot I posted here, sorry about that. I am off all week, so may be available for a ride at any given time. PM me, if anyone is interested. Nursing a bad back, so YMMV, but the weather should be OK for at least part of the week.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Flint Ironstag posted:

I completely forgot I posted here, sorry about that. I am off all week, so may be available for a ride at any given time. PM me, if anyone is interested. Nursing a bad back, so YMMV, but the weather should be OK for at least part of the week.

I got bored with the game and actually just got back from cruising around Dallas on the Duke390. I don't have PMs, you going to be free tomorrow?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
After much backordering, my tire machine arrives Wednesday! New rear tire for the GS arrives the day before!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

After much backordering, my tire machine arrives Wednesday! New rear tire for the GS arrives the day before!

I have the wheel weights in my living room if you need them.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That sounds excellent. Wanna text me when you're headed home tomorrow morning? I would offer to bikeswap the GS for the Duke, but I need to do the tires on the GS :shobon:

Tire machine is assembled! Let it be known henceforth that I can help you mount and balance your tires! Standard currency is beer. If you bring something barrel-aged I'll be super happy.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

That sounds excellent. Wanna text me when you're headed home tomorrow morning? I would offer to bikeswap the GS for the Duke, but I need to do the tires on the GS :shobon:

Of all things tomorrow I need to assist a coworker that crashed his Triumph. If you are home all day, when i get done with his deal, I can bring the wheel weights over. I should be done by 11:00 or 11:30 am.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I am presently unemployed, so I will indeed be home all day. Just text me first to make sure I haven't run off to do errands.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Well, our first experience went very poorly. The brand-new tire we set out to install is ruined. The instructions don't say it, but you want to keep the bead in the valley of the rim because the steel belting around the bead does not stretch. All of the force we had applied to try and get it to seat incorrectly actually pulled the belt through the rubber. My rim is pretty badly gouged as well. I'm calling up a rim repair service tomorrow morning. For what it's worth, I was able to pull the ruined tire off the rim using the tools all by myself. Just takes thoughtful application of lube.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

Well, our first experience went very poorly. The brand-new tire we set out to install is ruined. The instructions don't say it, but you want to keep the bead in the valley of the rim because the steel belting around the bead does not stretch. All of the force we had applied to try and get it to seat incorrectly actually pulled the belt through the rubber. My rim is pretty badly gouged as well. I'm calling up a rim repair service tomorrow morning. For what it's worth, I was able to pull the ruined tire off the rim using the tools all by myself. Just takes thoughtful application of lube.

Ugh, I felt bad about ruining half your tools. I've ordered a new set of the orange tire irons, one of the tire irons that's 21" instead of 16", and a set of regular tire irons. I'll let you know when they get in.

BTW the tips on the orange spoons are supposed to be warrantied for life.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 10, 2017

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thank you, I appreciate it. Though honestly, only the tips are damaged. The powder coating is bubbling on one, but it's not bent. And I managed to bend the other spoon back into shape with my vise.

Honestly, after all the muscling we did on that thing it held up really well. I was furious after I discovered that the tire was damaged. I was fully ready to send it back or do a chargeback on my card. I went inside and looked for negative reviews and wasn't able to find any. Even the legendary "THING sucks" google search failed. Everyone agrees that this machine is the best. Some even consider it better than a hydraulic one.

I watched some videos and figured out the mistake I made. Just should have stopped sooner when we were having so much trouble.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Holy dick! Woody's Wheel Works gave me an estimate of $40 +ship to fix the rim. Obviously that doesn't include repainting it, but it's not like it's gonna rust. This is turning out to be a bit less awful of a mistake. And I know WWW will take care of me. They're the BMW wheel experts. Tons of good experiences on advrider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Long tire irons aren't gonna help you with that. If you need more force than you can put in with a 12 inch tire iron, you're missing one of the following - either not enough lube, the tire isn't in the drop center, or you're trying to lever too much tire over the rim at once.

I have a big set of woodworking clamps to act as a second hand/help compress the tire into the drop center. The downside is they eat up some of the slack in the tire you need to use to lever the tire over the rim, so don't over-compress the tire with them or you end up back in the same boat.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Z3n posted:

Long tire irons aren't gonna help you with that. If you need more force than you can put in with a 12 inch tire iron, you're missing one of the following - either not enough lube, the tire isn't in the drop center, or you're trying to lever too much tire over the rim at once.

I have a big set of woodworking clamps to act as a second hand/help compress the tire into the drop center. The downside is they eat up some of the slack in the tire you need to use to lever the tire over the rim, so don't over-compress the tire with them or you end up back in the same boat.

Our issue was not having them in the drop center. A bit paranoid about messing up the TPS right in the middle of the wheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, understandable. My technique with TPS setups is to start spooning the tire over the rim at the sensor - it should be pretty easy to get the tire in the drop center, around the TPS, and once you start working your way around, the tire is pretty locked in place and it's not really possible for it to move up or down and damage the sensor.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Kuffs,

I received the replacement tools sometime during the day. Let me know when you want me to drop them off.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Awesome. I dropped the wheel off at woody's yesterday. I won't be back in town until Friday evening. You're welcome to drop things off during the weekend, just shoot me a text first.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Alright. Managed to get the front tire mounted without issue. Rear is still not cooperating. Gonna use my propane space heater as a makeshift tire warmer and see if that makes life easier.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Still the same issue where's it'd just really stiff and not a lot of sidewall?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, it's just a super stiff touring tire. I put it in front of my propane heater for a while to get it pliable. Maybe if I had used actual track warmers it would be better. But I still ended up needing to finish it with spoons.

It's all back together now. I think I didn't tighten down the valve core enough when I put the rear back together so it wasn't at pressure when I test rode. I tightened it down and re-filled it so we'll see in he morning. The important part is that I didn't ruin either of the TPMS sensors.

The thin spoons you gave me are really awesome, btw.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

The thin spoons you gave me are really awesome, btw.

Good deal, glad they worked out for you.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Did another test ride this morning. Looks like everything is working great.

Let it be now known: I have a tire changer and actually know how to use it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I learned today that if I track the Duke 390, I might need to go to GP shift. I leaned over going around a corner and went to go the next gear and my toe skipped off the road.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Either that or rearsets. Probably not super comfy on the road then.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

I learned today that if I track the Duke 390, I might need to go to GP shift. I leaned over going around a corner and went to go the next gear and my toe skipped off the road.

Was there a guy on an FZ-09 there? He would have been in the beginner group. I work with him, and it was his first track day. He is now hooked.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Was there a guy on an FZ-09 there? He would have been in the beginner group. I work with him, and it was his first track day. He is now hooked.

Naw I was just out on the road and caught a light right at the correct moment for a full roll on and the bike leaned way over. Coming off the frontage road going over the bridge onto Parker (north on 75 turn west onto Parker) I had no traffic and a green light. I like that area because it's up a hill, left, then plunge down with a right hander... Feels awesome when there's no one there and you can maintain the 40MPH all the way through.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Naw I was just out on the road and caught a light right at the correct moment for a full roll on and the bike leaned way over. Coming off the frontage road going over the bridge onto Parker (north on 75 turn west onto Parker) I had no traffic and a green light. I like that area because it's up a hill, left, then plunge down with a right hander... Feels awesome when there's no one there and you can maintain the 40MPH all the way through.

Ah, thought maybe you were at the Ride Smart event my coworker went to. I do know the corner you are talking about, but I only seem to hit it with traffic around, though.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Ah, thought maybe you were at the Ride Smart event my coworker went to. I do know the corner you are talking about, but I only seem to hit it with traffic around, though.

I haven't gotten to a ridesmart track learning experience just yet, but I plan on doing it as soon as I have the cash and gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It's drat nice out today, if you're not out riding and need a place to stop and hang out for a bit, come on over, I'm cleaning a bit and I have the MotoGP streaming.

• Locked thread