Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's no indication even the likes of Naftali Bennett have any territorial designs on Gaza.

The severity of response is one thing, but in all of the Gaza wars, Israel was provoked. In 2014, after the Israeli teens were abducted (by a rogue Hamas cell that is largely agreed was not acting on orders from leadership, who were eager to prevent a hot war), Israel responded by cracking down on Hamas in the West Bank. The war didn't start until the back and forth rogue rocket attacks and Israeli strikes led to a Hamas rocket attack from Gaza. That's when the actual war started., and it escalated when Hamas proved unable to control rogue factions. The idea that the war was completely unprovoked or motivated by the desire to settle Gaza is laughable. Hamas repeatedly rejected a ceasefire in the early stages because they wanted everyone rounded up in the West Bank to be released.
Ah I see, so if Hamas gets attacked for something they didn't do, they're supposed to just eat those bombs then. Alrighty.

1400+ Palestinians died in the bombings, but because a handful of areas got hit by small rockets that's ok.

You're also leaving the part out that Israel instantly blamed Hamas for targeting those teens, and it wasn't until well into the bombings that they were forced to admit that Hamas didn't order the kidnappings. They wasted no time in bombing hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The kidnap and murder of the three youths in 2014 had nothing to do with Hamas whatsoever.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

lol, using this logic Israel is constantly provoking Palestinians non-stop. You act like Israel somehow has no control over its own actions.

I wasn't debating the causal responsibility, just explaining Israel's reasons for the war, which had nothing to do with territorial conquest.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ah I see, so if Hamas gets attacked for something they didn't do, they're supposed to just eat those bombs then. Alrighty.

1400+ Palestinians died in the bombings, but because a handful of areas got hit by small rockets that's ok.

You're also leaving the part out that Israel instantly blamed Hamas for targeting those teens, and it wasn't until well into the bombings that they were forced to admit that Hamas didn't order the kidnappings. They wasted no time in bombing hospitals.

You clearly didn't read my post as I was not debating whether or not the war was a good idea, just the specific circumstances of the war starting. Israel didn't start the war immediately in response to the kidnappings. There's a lot that came after that. Likewise, it was crystal clear that I was citing facts by explicitly not holding Hamas's leadership responsible for the kidnappings.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The kidnap and murder of the three youths in 2014 had nothing to do with Hamas whatsoever.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.612039

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

I wasn't debating the causal responsibility, just explaining Israel's reasons for the war, which had nothing to do with territorial conquest.

Settlers perform territorial conquest
Palestinians attack settlers
Israel bombs Palestinians but that has nothing to do with territorial conquest

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Well, you're the one who brought up "territorial conquest" as a possible reason in the first place. I certainly didn't mention it, and no one else did either - except in response to your rebuttal of an argument no one had made.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Are they ever going to learn to stop shooting rockets into Israel?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Are you ever gonna stop playing apologist for and then cheerleading ethnic cleansing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hakimashou posted:

They did a few years back. Didn't seem to have helped for some reason...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

Is Israel ever going to learn how to stop being a warcrime-committing, racial supremacist, colonialist piece of poo poo of a country?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

They did a few years back. Didn't seem to have helped for some reason...

Cat Mattress posted:

Is Israel ever going to learn how to stop being a warcrime-committing, racial supremacist, colonialist piece of poo poo of a country?

Oh yeah that was it

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Any guesses on how the Hamas/Iran split will affect any future Israel/Hamas wars? Will Qatar tolerate Hamas fighting against Israel?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
There's an interesting article in the NYT on the current state of the peace process.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/world/middleeast/trump-arabs-palestinians-israel.html

My TLDR:
- Both Trump and Netanyahu wants to turn to the anually rejected Arab peace initiative. The twist is that they want to turn the Arab states against Palestine in return for favors.
- Kushner moves in the same circle as Netanyahu.
- Netanyahu cautioned against moving the embassy to Jerusalem.
- King Abdullah "buttonholed" Trump. It's funny to me because I don't know what "buttonhole" means, and can only imagine.
- The leaked statement about settlement building was, of course, just a probe to see what would happen. Who knows what actual policy is at this point.
- Not a single Palestinian appears in any form in the article. It's the New York Times after all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Svartvit posted:

There's an interesting article in the NYT on the current state of the peace process.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/world/middleeast/trump-arabs-palestinians-israel.html

My TLDR:
- Both Trump and Netanyahu wants to turn to the anually rejected Arab peace initiative. The twist is that they want to turn the Arab states against Palestine in return for favors.
- Kushner moves in the same circle as Netanyahu.
- Netanyahu cautioned against moving the embassy to Jerusalem.
- King Abdullah "buttonholed" Trump. It's funny to me because I don't know what "buttonhole" means, and can only imagine.
- The leaked statement about settlement building was, of course, just a probe to see what would happen. Who knows what actual policy is at this point.
- Not a single Palestinian appears in any form in the article. It's the New York Times after all.

Buttonhole, as in to take aside and forcibly converse with.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Well now it's just not funny anymore.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, you're the one who brought up "territorial conquest" as a possible reason in the first place. I certainly didn't mention it, and no one else did either - except in response to your rebuttal of an argument no one had made.

You missed DarkCrawler's post.

Svartvit posted:

My TLDR:

Not turn against, but even here or in the anti-Zionist web where Sunni states are largely loathed for secretly being in bed with Israel, the ties between Israel and the rest of the region are wildly underreported.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-02-02/how-do-israel-s-tech-firms-do-business-in-saudi-arabia-very-quietly

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not turn against, but even here or in the anti-Zionist web where Sunni states are largely loathed for secretly being in bed with Israel, the ties between Israel and the rest of the region are wildly underreported.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-02-02/how-do-israel-s-tech-firms-do-business-in-saudi-arabia-very-quietly

Netanyahu and Trump are making a concerted effort to use the Arab states' influence in order to reach a settlement of the conflict. I think we both know that whatever settlement they would reach together would not be what in the interest of the Palestinians. They would be isolated.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kim Jong Il posted:

You missed DarkCrawler's post.

So did you, apparently?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Svartvit posted:

Netanyahu and Trump are making a concerted effort to use the Arab states' influence in order to reach a settlement of the conflict. I think we both know that whatever settlement they would reach together would not be what in the interest of the Palestinians. They would be isolated.

The Arabs lost their wars with Israel. So yeah, any settlement is going to go in Israel's favor.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DavidADaoud/status/830132915656876032

:byewhore:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I still don't believe it. 2017 can't start that well. It hasn't, as point of fact.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

I still don't believe it. 2017 can't start that well. It hasn't, as point of fact.

I'll believe it when the rear end in a top hat's in jail. He's survived so much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait whoa - has there been any follow up to that statement!?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

The Arabs lost their wars with Israel. So yeah, any settlement is going to go in Israel's favor.

That isn't what he meant. The other Arab states do not have a good relationship with Palestinians. The point is that since both Israel and the other Arab states don't care about the Palestinians, the Palestinians are basically guaranteed to be hosed with any potential deal.

Of course, the idea that all Arabs aren't a hive mind is probably a bit over your head.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Netanyahu being indicted will be fantastic for Israel, Palestinians, the peace process, and the two state solution. It'll be a loss for racist, irredentist pieces of garbage and fans of ethnic cleansing on both sides who can go back to mutually hoping fascists like Trump and Le Pen get elected to "blow up the system."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Netanyahu being indicted will be fantastic for Israel, Palestinians, the peace process, and the two state solution. It'll be a loss for racist, irredentist pieces of garbage and fans of ethnic cleansing on both sides who can go back to mutually hoping fascists like Trump and Le Pen get elected to "blow up the system."

what is this trash fire of a post supposed to be saying

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dabir posted:

what is this trash fire of a post supposed to be saying

Someone hasn't been keeping up with Israeli politics, and doesn't realize that there are equally and arguably shittier leaders ready to take he helm as soon as Bibi is taken out of the picture.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Someone hasn't been keeping up with Israeli politics, and doesn't realize that there are equally and arguably shittier leaders ready to take he helm as soon as Bibi is taken out of the picture.

I see, but what's that other idiot trying to say

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dabir posted:

I see, but what's that other idiot trying to say

What are words, really?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What are words, really?

Pretty sure that dude would struggle with an answer tbqh

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Netanyahu has so thoroughly cleansed Likud of all moderates and anyone who has even a modicum of political savvy and basic human intelligence that his replacement cannot possibly be any better than him.

I want to see him in prison as much as anyone else but just note that it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets any better.

Prime Minister Miri "The sudanese are a cancer in the nation's heart" Regev is not going to be too kind to palestinians. Though I'm sure accelerationists are whetting their appetite.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Prime Minister Miri "The sudanese are a cancer in the nation's heart" Regev is not going to be too kind to palestinians. Though I'm sure accelerationists are whetting their appetite.

Is that his likely successor? I almost regret cheering for Bibi's downfall if that's what is in store.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She's mega popular among the kahanist right, she a proponent of ethnic cleansing and an outspoken racist and worst of all she's considered charming and 'down to earth', she's high on the list.

I'd say she's definitely in the short list. She's also one of the few in the Likud list who've risen to grandeur by her own 'merits' and thus stands to gain a lot once Netanyahu and his brown nosers like Edelstein and Ardan are out of the picture.

In my opinion it's basically either her or Gideon Saar, and he's also a piece of poo poo.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kim Jong Il posted:

Agreed, for once.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

While it would be satisfying to finally see that gently caress in prison, the best case scenario is that whoever becomes the next PM is just as bad as him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can someone explain why Shelly is running for the head of the Histadrut? I was genuinely hoping for a competent and charismatic Labor leader in a few years.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
The US is trying to block Salam Fayyad from being appointed as Libya envoy for no other stated reason than to spite the Palestinians. Watch as three more years of this happens, then Trump blames failing negotiations on Palestinian's "bad faith."
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/objects-palestinian-envoy-libya-170211033508144.html

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Got the hunch Trump wants to strike a deal without actually involving the palestinians, he wants to get the regional powers to agree with Israel on final borders (which will annex at least 25 of the west bank to Israel) and force the Palestinians to swallow the frog.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Got the hunch Trump wants to strike a deal without actually involving the palestinians, he wants to get the regional powers to agree with Israel on final borders (which will annex at least 25 of the west bank to Israel) and force the Palestinians to swallow the frog.

and if it works he is going to be more deserving of a Noble than Obama.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Subjugating and opressing people is rarely rewarded with a Nobel peace prize. I'm saying rarely because it happened 1973 and 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Trump doesn't give a flying gently caress about Israel or Palestinians except for the fleeting second his insane goldfish clown brain will retain the fact that they even exist after someone mentions it to him