Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Santa Clarita Diet just came out on Netflix. "Sheila and Joel, a married couple, are real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. When Sheila dies, their lives take a dark turn."

I used to live out there and the show pretty much got how people are there. I'm almost done with it and it's been pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just finished Haters Back Off and the final episode made it even better than it was before in my eyes. It's like a punch to the gut that you know is coming but it still manages to catch you off guard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

food court bailiff posted:

I just finished Haters Back Off and the final episode made it even better than it was before in my eyes. It's like a punch to the gut that you know is coming but it still manages to catch you off guard.

You mean it makes you feel like Harry Houdini? :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We Know Catheters posted:

Santa Clarita Diet just came out on Netflix. "Sheila and Joel, a married couple, are real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. When Sheila dies, their lives take a dark turn."

I used to live out there and the show pretty much got how people are there. I'm almost done with it and it's been pretty funny.

I just watched the first episode without knowing the premise.
Now I know what I'm doing with the rest of my day :)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

"I have soft orphan lips"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Has Mulholland Dr. been on Netflix for awhile? In any case I'm watching it now and god drat it I should have watched this 15 years ago.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syscall girl posted:

"I have soft orphan lips"

The whole Annie scene had me laughing so hard it hurt. Seriously though, the line "Why do you think it's funny that someone could love me?!" in the last episode was pretty devastating even though she obviously made her own bed and screwed everything up. The art school scene in the penultimate episode was heavy, too. All the characters (except Emily obviously) are so zany and dumb that the drama really can catch you off guard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

a kitten posted:

Has Mulholland Dr. been on Netflix for awhile? In any case I'm watching it now and god drat it I should have watched this 15 years ago.

It has been one of my favorite movies of all time ever since I first saw it a few years ago, and again last year, when it made more sense. It was on HBO GO for a while (not anymore), but they just added it to Netflix on February 1st. I actually went on Facebook and recommended it to everyone I know, knowing full well none of them will attempt it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

We Know Catheters posted:

My family couldn't take it, too gruesome and crass for their delicate nature. I enjoyed it but the first EP could have been better considering the talent involved.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime and it's really good so far. Bryan Cranston is in it and is writer/producer. Giovanni Ribisi is the lead
But its lead is mainly Character-actress Margot Martindale!!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

But its lead is mainly Character-actress Margot Martindale!!!

Agreed.

And for some reason this whole family that crimes together thing is making me want to rewatch Fargo.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wish there was less swearing in Santa Clarita Diet, not because swearing bothers me but because they don't do it naturally. Every time they say, "gently caress!" it feels like someone held up a sign with that word on it. Show is otherwise awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

I wish there was less swearing in Santa Clarita Diet, not because swearing bothers me but because they don't do it naturally. Every time they say, "gently caress!" it feels like someone held up a sign with that word on it. Show is otherwise awesome.

I took that as them being so uptight before the incident that they aren't used to it.
The daughter isn't so stilted because, well, she's a teenager.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had somehow never seen Good Will Hunting until recently on Netflix.

I really really like that movie.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

I had somehow never seen Good Will Hunting until recently on Netflix.

I really really like that movie.

Yeah, it's great.

That Michael Bolton special looks super click-baity to me. Like 'wow so crazy, michael bolton!'. Anyone seen it? Worth watching?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Captain Lavender posted:

That Michael Bolton special looks super click-baity to me. Like 'wow so crazy, michael bolton!'. Anyone seen it? Worth watching?
It was written and directed by the Lonely Island and Scott Auckerman, so if you like that style of humor you'll enjoy it. It felt like an hour long episode of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show if that gives you any indication.

And if you haven't seen the Comedy Bang Bang TV series, that's on Netflix too!

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, it's great.

I watched it tonight. It's a Lonely Island/Comedy Bang! Bang! co-production, so if you're a fan of either of those I'd definitely recommend it. If you're not, you probably won't get much out of it other than Michael Bolton playing against type.

e: yeah that^^

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hannibal Smith posted:

It was written and directed by the Lonely Island and Scott Auckerman, so if you like that style of humor you'll enjoy it. It felt like an hour long episode of the Comedy Bang Bang TV show if that gives you any indication.

And if you haven't seen the Comedy Bang Bang TV series, that's on Netflix too!

Oh... oh I have seen comedy bang bang - and I can't get to work without the podcast. Will be checking it out, thank you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

wormil posted:

I feel like...the complete opposite of this. It's jarring because it's Oliphant's character waayyyyy out of his element, and he's trying to roll with it as best he can, but sometimes he just comes up short and shouts "FUUUUUCK" as he realizes the mess his life has become. It's the only time I've ever thought that excessive swearing in a show has been funny, the delivery is just perfect. Plus, Abby's line at the beginning ("I think I'm going to be swearing in front of you guys a lot more," "Yeah, that's fair") sets it up as a sort of running gag.

The only bad part (other than one thing I'm going to take to the IIMM thread) is how abruptly it ended.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The only bad part (other than one thing I'm going to take to the IIMM thread) is how abruptly it ended.
Is that a spoiler?

What is iimm thread?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Not a spoiler, no - but of course I can't really talk about that without actually discussing the ending, which would be a spoiler. The IIMM thread is Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631122

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I feel like...the complete opposite of this. It's jarring because it's Oliphant's character waayyyyy out of his element, and he's trying to roll with it as best he can, but sometimes he just comes up short and shouts "FUUUUUCK" as he realizes the mess his life has become. It's the only time I've ever thought that excessive swearing in a show has been funny, the delivery is just perfect. Plus, Abby's line at the beginning ("I think I'm going to be swearing in front of you guys a lot more," "Yeah, that's fair") sets it up as a sort of running gag.

Yeah, I loved when they'd react to something with a "gently caress!" and then try to play it off as extreme enthusiasm for something ridiculous

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
By the middle of the series they get pretty casual about the cursing but in the beginning it was very awkward. Clearly a deliberate choice but not one that makes sense to me. And I understand the arguments on why they did it and that is probably the thought process, but it still didn't seem like behavior that real people do.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's an awkward feeling to be a responsible adult in my 30s, and yet be actively displeased that Netflix took Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated off Netflix right when I was halfway through the second season....

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Feb 11, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's an awkward feeling to be a responsible adult in my 30s, and yet be actively displeased that Netflix took Scooby Do: Mystery Incorporated off Netflix right when I was halfway through the second season....

It's the only good Scooby Doo that doesn't have Wrestlemania in the title.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Finished Travelers last night. Awesome show, although I feel like it fell victim to that Netflix Original curse where there was one episode where nothing happened that could have been completely cut from the season and improved it overall.

A question for those who have seen it, since I'm not sure if I missed something: in episode 8 (I think), Bishop, what was up with that senator who got killed by his wife in the beginning? She didn't seem to be a Traveler and I don't think it got touched on again.

Len posted:

It's the only good Scooby Doo that doesn't have Wrestlemania in the title.

There was some Scooby Doo episode I saw when I was hungover/possibly still drunk where they were running around with Johnny Bravo, it was pretty funny but now that I'm typing that out I'm not convinced it exists.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was some Scooby Doo episode I saw when I was hungover/possibly still drunk where they were running around with Johnny Bravo, it was pretty funny but now that I'm typing that out I'm not convinced it exists.

Real and owns

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season 2 just hit American Netflix, a week after it finished. I loved season 1 and am pumped to watch season 2.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Finished Travelers last night. Awesome show, although I feel like it fell victim to that Netflix Original curse where there was one episode where nothing happened that could have been completely cut from the season and improved it overall.

A question for those who have seen it, since I'm not sure if I missed something: in episode 8 (I think), Bishop, what was up with that senator who got killed by his wife in the beginning? She didn't seem to be a Traveler and I don't think it got touched on again.

I'm trying to remember, was it supposed to be a traveller but the consciousness never arrived. Maybe.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

She's the traveler that MacLaren picks up later

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Boywhiz88 posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season 2 just hit American Netflix, a week after it finished. I loved season 1 and am pumped to watch season 2.

This show is the tits and I highly recomend it.Rachel bloom also has a ton of funny as hell songs that she did years ago on her youtube channel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No Tomorrow is a solid B.
It's a romantic comedy TV show about a nice girl with a dead-end job that meets a handsome man at a market.
They go on a date and he reveals that a comet is approaching Earth and they have 8 months to live.

That's all I will say. It's worth a watch.
Plus the male lead is the guy from Galavant and I won't stop drooling over that show.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

I did not give this show a chance and wouldn't have if not for your recommendation. It was so much better than I ever would have guessed. So thanks!

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I just watched Gantz:0 and it was loving great. It's a 3D animated movie apparently based on an anime series (which I have never seen) about people fighting demons in a weird real-world MMORPG type thing with sci-fi tech.

The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the movie is 90% awesome fights with great CGI, very unique weapons, and some really interesting and sometimes hilarious monster design.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

salty fries make me cry posted:

I just watched Gantz:0 and it was loving great. It's a 3D animated movie apparently based on an anime series (which I have never seen) about people fighting demons in a weird real-world MMORPG type thing with sci-fi tech.

The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the movie is 90% awesome fights with great CGI, very unique weapons, and some really interesting and sometimes hilarious monster design.

We watched that recently, too. Having seen the series and read the manga, it's drat good. The manga is long as hell but the film does a good job of condensing the best parts and cutting out a lot of the pacing issues that plagued the source materials.

The CGI, though, is breathtaking. There were legit times I thought they'd transitioned to live-action--it's that good.

And yeah, there's a lot of stuff that they didn't bother explaining, like why the monsters showed up They're illegal aliens that have been hiding on our planet. In both senses of the word "alien." Some came to Earth looking for work, some as refugees, and some as bad hombres. The Gantz teams are charged with either capturing or killing them., but it's definitely enjoyable without all that extra fluff.

I hope they're working on a sequel because some seriously insane poo poo happens in the last quarter of the manga that if given the same treatment, will make Gantz:0 look tame.

One big difference between it and the manga that I found odd, just as a curiosity: In the manga, the battle-crazy freaks the Tokyo team meets up with are actually Americans, not another Japanese team. They probably didn't want to offend us by depicting us as enormous assholes?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of anime, The Seven Deadly Sins, is not very good. Definitely written for the teen audience. I was looking for something relatively light to watch for 30 minutes on the treadmill. It's extremely formulaic with no story other than good vs evil with the well worn trope of the bad guys being the good guys. Every episode literally has the same story as the previous episode, the only thing that changes are the antagonists. Also as of ep7, much of it makes no sense except for anime reasons.

VVVV I wouldn't agree with that, but you have to be selective. VVVV

wormil has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Feb 25, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

wormil posted:

Speaking of...anime...is not very good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just finished up the first season of The Magicians on Netflix and I am really jonesing for more. It's campy at times and the main character and his love interest are both wet farts but everything else about it is so fun it more than makes up for its few shortcomings.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

I just finished up the first season of The Magicians on Netflix and I am really jonesing for more. It's campy at times and the main character and his love interest are both wet farts but everything else about it is so fun it more than makes up for its few shortcomings.

I'm seconding this. The writers do a really good job of being self-aware with the campy parts, and will often make fun of it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vaginaface posted:

I'm seconding this. The writers do a really good job of being self-aware with the campy parts, and will often make fun of it themselves.

Thirding this. Its really a series where the supporting cast shines. Elliot is the biggest, gayest treasure and I really hope there's a lot more of him in season 2.