Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Sam is a better character than Dick. Sorry to inform you of this.

Sam is great but Rich had some amazing stories and Annihilation rebuilt the character from the ground up.

Also LOL AT RHYNO DEFENDING JEPH LOEB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sam is a fine character and writing him off as "Jeff Loeb's creepy fanfiction" is pretty lovely and reductive to a character who isn't that at all beyond his name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Sam is a fine character and writing him off as "Jeff Loeb's creepy fanfiction" is pretty lovely and reductive to a character who isn't that at all beyond his name.

Sam is a lasting tribute to Sam's memory, not an insert of an actual dead person.

<cough>Stargirl<cough>

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone drilled into Sam over the "dead son fanfiction" thing during Loeb's run but it went by at lightspeed and was years ago, during which Sam has had some pretty good and critically renowned stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Everyone drilled into Sam over the "dead son fanfiction" thing during Loeb's run but it went by at lightspeed and was years ago, during which Sam has had some pretty good and critically renowned stories.

90% of that here was my doing because I had such a hate for him using his dead son to get work. But Loeb realized that he hosed up and the dude feels like poo poo for what he did. He's finally moving past that loss and I support him in his current and future works.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

They're both good characters and I'm glad they're both sharing a book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still really wish they'd make Sam gay.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Couldn't Sam Alexander or Dick Ryder be used like Kyle Rayner was when he was first introduced -- the only remaining Green Lantern after the Corps was wiped out, and the one responsible for bringing them all back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Couldn't Sam Alexander or Dick Ryder be used like Kyle Rayner was when he was first introduced -- the only remaining Green Lantern after the Corps was wiped out, and the one responsible for bringing them all back?

They did that with Rich in the comics post Annihilation for a bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

Cosmo disagrees

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

Cosmo disagrees

Hahahah, Sam just standing their awkwardly.

drat, I am going to have to grab this run once it's in trade.

My hope is they do a Young Avengers movie that features Sam, Kamala and some of the other legacy heroes. It doesn't have to follow any of the YA books, just can be called that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm going to fight all you motherfuckers talking poo poo about my boy, Richard Rider.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Cosmo disagrees

Why can't we have Talking Russian Space Dog: The Movie? :(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait, hold on a minute, don't slag Motown. Motown was great. :(

No Motown was great.

But Berry Gordy was an absolute epic dick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Cosmo was in Guardians of the Galaxy for a hot minute.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

No Motown was great.

But Berry Gordy was an absolute epic dick.

Sure, he was a dick, but he was a clever dick and one who had a vision. I can't talk about him as a person (because I don't know him) but he was someone who did things that I'm pretty sure nobody before him - black or white - had done before in business and music. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Without Berry Gordy we wouldn't have The Last Dragon, and I don't want to live in a world without Sho Nuff.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Is this where we talk about the Lego Batman Movie? Cause it was loving rad. I laughed my rear end off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOzrChqmd0

Not really major reveal but some nifty concept art for Thanos and conformation that Guardians will meet the Avengers in Infinity War.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I stopped reading comics around three issues into Civil War II. Is Dick Ryder back?!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOzrChqmd0

Not really major reveal but some nifty concept art for Thanos and conformation that Guardians will meet the Avengers in Infinity War.

That concept art of Rocket and Thor is extremely my jam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I stopped reading comics around three issues into Civil War II. Is Dick Ryder back?!

He came back a while ago.. He's currently in a buddy cop book with Sam Nova.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

That concept art of Rocket and Thor is extremely my jam.

I wonder if it's a small part of a larger picture like they had with everyone fighting the Ultron Drones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jamesman posted:

LatinoReview probably has a rumor about all the avengers and GotG dying to Thanos in order to save costs, so Infinity War 2 will be Cosmo's solo movie vs Thanos.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So how about some positive DC news? Looks like Matt Reeves is possibly going to helm The Batman. I personally think that's a considerable downgrade from Ben Affleck but at least it's a good director. Could have been much worse.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-batman-new-director-matt-reeves-ben-affleck-1201977575/

Expect a new picture of the Justice League standing around with Wonder Woman on the far left of the pic a day or so after the announcement is official.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I enjoy for DC that they just have pictures of people standing around, and then Marvel put out a video about producing Infinity War and oh by the way here's Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Star-Lord talking about it because they're all in the movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That video was about as useless as DC's publicity photos.

Edit: gently caress. Lego Batman isn't opening here in NZ till April. I should've seen it coming, cause they usually hold family movie releases for school holidays.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 12, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Little Mac posted:

I always saw Richard or Richie. Never Dick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I always saw Richard or Richie. Never Dick.

That's correct. Comic fans call him that because comic fans are five year olds and Dick Rider is oh so hilarious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've known several Richards in my life and for reasons I can't fathom none of them ever went by Dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

I've known several Richards in my life and for reasons I can't fathom none of them ever went by Dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tvG54uZLg

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lawrence Fishburne is not going to be in Justice League even though he was asked. He couldn't make it work in his schedule for a one day shoot. He also said what most of you must have been thinking the second you heard he was asked to be in it: "And really, what do you need the newspaperman in Justice League for?" Well I would have liked to have seen him there. Oh well.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/laurence-fishburne-on-why-he-turned-down-justice-league-role-and-a148878

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lego Batman was a real fun time. Not 100% solid 100% of the film, but still mega recommended.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Lego Batman was a real fun time. Not 100% solid 100% of the film, but still mega recommended.

I was really surprised at a Gymkata reference????

ufarn
May 30, 2009

X-O posted:

Lawrence Fishburne is not going to be in Justice League even though he was asked. He couldn't make it work in his schedule for a one day shoot. He also said what most of you must have been thinking the second you heard he was asked to be in it: "And really, what do you need the newspaperman in Justice League for?" Well I would have liked to have seen him there. Oh well.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/laurence-fishburne-on-why-he-turned-down-justice-league-role-and-a148878
With his biggest distinction being one of the most poorly written journalists, I'm okay with this. Fishburne deserves good writing.

And now I want to re-watch Hannibal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
New Guardians 2 TV Spot with a much better cut of the Superbowl scene.

Why did they edit out the actual Drax Punchline in the Super Bowl version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX0KjDFvDAY

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Disney Inside had a short feature on Infinity War and there was nothing super interesting except that those Imax Cameras are enormous.

They also showed them filming a scene where Rocket (and possible the other Guardians, but it was only Rocket's stand in there) was with Spider-Man, Thor, and Tony Stark. One of the Russo's was describing all the different layers that go into it (Imax, CGI, actor interactions, CGI details on real-life actors, green screen, etc) and what the scene they were shooting was going to look like when it was finished.

The camera is over the shoulder of the three Avengers while they are talking and Tony calls Thor "Fabio with a Flying Hammer." They keep having a conversation, but in the corner of the shot you can see Spider-Man pull out his smart phone and google image search Fabio while they talk.

Also, Chadwick Boseman was on set even though Black Panther has not been officially announced yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 12, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

There's an extra in the "No one wants to see Clark Kent take on the Batman." scene that walks from around a corner behind Perry, past him and Clark when it's a profile shot of the two of them, and crosses behind Clark and out a door when the camera is on him. The extra is a regular at my shop, and it distracts me every time.

Another regular was a senator standing outside the courtroom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Open Marriage Night posted:

The extra is a regular at my shop, and it distracts me every time. .

You're bigger problem is that you're watching Batman v Superman multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

More like two times. Had a strong pot brownie (purely medicinal) the first time, so I felt obligated to go to the theater again and see it sober. I did really enjoy the movie the first go round.

• Locked thread