Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rhymenoserous posted:

So do shields feel useless for anyone else? The only use I can find for them right now is "Tanking" things while a buddy hacks at them from behind. In any other situation it seems like a 2 hander is better.
I like shield for blocking shots of poison from spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Rhymenoserous posted:

So do shields feel useless for anyone else? The only use I can find for them right now is "Tanking" things while a buddy hacks at them from behind. In any other situation it seems like a 2 hander is better.

Against slow hard hitters, like archers, they are good. Take an arrow to the shield, whack him a few times, raise shield again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Shields need a server that decreases the damage they take per hit to feel good tbh

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Shields are good because the Ancient Khopesh is hands down the most damaging weapon in the game and you might as well have something in your offhand.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Theyre useful for closing range on 2-3 archers if you dont feel like charging them at an angle.

That said the slave dragging rope is definitely the best offhand in the game atm, because; reasons.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You can build foundations quite a ways underground. So far that you won't be able to decon or destroy it. Hmm.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Blowing poo poo up with the Goons

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

raverrn posted:

Shields are good because the Ancient Khopesh is hands down the most damaging weapon in the game and you might as well have something in your offhand.

hammer is the only pvp weapon anyone should use though

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

[EU] The Riddle of Steel - PvP

Just had a disconnect and then Steam updated that late night patch. So I had to update the server too to get in. Hope no one was on anymore.

Supposedly this also fixes the disappearing T2 altars, we will see....

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's a nice rock/paper/scissors system with the weapons. Swords are great sustained dps, wide aoe arc and cheap to make. Pikes have average burst and ok dps with the best range, Hammers are insanely short range but great burst.

Depending how you stat and how you play it's pretty nicely balanced. Ranged fails though because it's on the more realistic side of you don't want to be a lone archer who's unsupported. A good group of players will be one guy with shield and ancient khopesh, the rest armed with pikes or bows. That way mr sword and board can slash everything around him without worry about friendly fire as they're all out at poking range. Hammers are a bit trickier to time in groups as they hit in an area as well and cannot out damage a steel sword user who puts points into hp. Good against large bosses in the midgame though.

Hammerstein posted:

[EU] The Riddle of Steel - PvP

Just had a disconnect and then Steam updated that late night patch. So I had to update the server too to get in. Hope no one was on anymore.

Supposedly this also fixes the disappearing T2 altars, we will see....

I just logged off right before that. Don't think anyone else was on at 3am.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Verizian posted:

Hammers are a bit trickier to time in groups as they hit in an area as well and cannot out damage a steel sword user who puts points into hp.

You guys arent using hammers correctly then.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Before I went to bed I logged in briefly to check if the server ran ok and THIS loving THING was about to ruin the small slavery research outpost we had built. Also had to put up a new bed since he got that too before he finally got stuck and I could take him out.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the cool things about weapons is you can switch them almost instantly so there is no reason not to have a ranged option :frogbon:

or even multiple melee ones if you fancy

also there is a named hammer that does 97 health damage, idk where it spawns besides admin mode on single player though

Percelus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 11, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The sword is good for straight damage output, the pike is the most stamina efficient weapon, and the hammer is the best clincher weapon for winning pvp.

You don't need to be attacking in groups as a hammer. If you're fighting equal numbers each person squares off with one person and then you hammer stunlock them until they die. If they dodge out of the hammer stun then it's good for you because they're going to be lower on stamina than you and you will win the fight. If you miss your hammer swing, start running away until you get another power strike charged and then whip back around and try to hit them again. Never just try to face tank them, especially if they have a sword.

If you're hammer fighting right, the person you're fighting should never be able to get up in the fight, and if you're outnumbered no one else in the fight should have an opportunity to hit you while you beat their friend to death. I personally don't carry any ranged weapon, because I feel that you should either be in the fight or out of it. iirc if you're charging a bow shot you aren't regenerating stamina, which is one of only two things (the other being health) that you should be withdrawing from a fight for.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What a total mess the official servers are. Tried most of the day on/off to get back into the server I started a base on, constantly full.

I decided to just start fresh on a new server cause I was wasting so much time trying to log in. Almost the entire map is claimed by single block ownership at this point. Any halfway decent location has been "claimed" by people just spewing foundations all over the map in a land grab.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Popete posted:

What a total mess the official servers are. Tried most of the day on/off to get back into the server I started a base on, constantly full.

I decided to just start fresh on a new server cause I was wasting so much time trying to log in. Almost the entire map is claimed by single block ownership at this point. Any halfway decent location has been "claimed" by people just spewing foundations all over the map in a land grab.

Don't know why anyone would want to play on officials because of that. But then again I don't understand why we have so many different goon servers when we could all be playing on one...

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
why would you want a 70 max person server to have ~30 players on at all times that you cant attack and loot

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

why would you want a 70 max person server to have ~30 players on at all times that you cant attack and loot

You mean AFK people on official or all goons on one? Because goons can and do attack each other. We're not all in the same clan, not on TT's server anyway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

People gonna play what they want.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Less ambitious than the temple upthread, but I figured out how to run walls between pillars consistently:

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Spent at least three hours murdering rocks and trees while running away from underground spiders only to have a random nerd teleport into my base and murder me then proceed to destroy all my crafting tables before teleporting away.

At least my doors are secure!

(never leave your second story roof open)

glickeroo
Nov 2, 2004

Would this be fun with only two people that mostly focus on PvE? Looking for a new game like Minecraft, The Forest, etc.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I find it fun but it's a little sparse on content. You need to be OK with base building (for no good reason, ai won't raid you) survival and exploration in a single biome (desert)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Wallet posted:

Less ambitious than the temple upthread, but I figured out how to run walls between pillars consistently:

I see what you did there.

You split it with the fence foundation and then raised the foundation in between.....crafty....:golfclap:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Oh, thats a neat trick.

Edit:
Figured out why conan keeps killing my single player games. Im running a private server for Ark so my little brother can play with dinosaurs, and it uses the same 7777, 27015 ports that conan does.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Trying to figure out if I want this. It looks a lot like ARK; would that be correct, or is it more like another game?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Bruteman posted:

Trying to figure out if I want this. It looks a lot like ARK; would that be correct, or is it more like another game?

I'd say it feels closest to ARK without dinosaurs and no good ranged weapons (which is good imo.) It also has some pretty big load times and rendering issues. It's fun, but the technical issues are pretty severe right now in my opinion.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
ARK never really appealed to me, but I was all over this in an instant. I've had loads of fun in spite of technical issues.

I credit the dong slider.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Commoners posted:

I'd say it feels closest to ARK without dinosaurs and no good ranged weapons (which is good imo.) It also has some pretty big load times and rendering issues. It's fun, but the technical issues are pretty severe right now in my opinion.

Load times are only bad on HDDs. SSDs load into a server in under a minute or maybe even under 30 seconds. Loading the base you're in can take another 10-20 though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It seems way more approachable than ARK to me. Even on regular server rates I was able to wall off a little valley and build a house and crafting tables in a couple of hours of work. I was accosted by some people and had a tense standoff where they were shooting me with arrows and I'd occasionally jump off my wall to stab them in their faces. I feel like I've gained some good experience and if someone were to wipe out my little house now it'd set me back very little and would be more a waste of their time than mine. And that's just dicking around by myself. I'm planning to get another couple taiwan goons together to scourge the asia servers a bit and spread the gospel of Taiwan #1.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
We summoned Set! Crazy how much damage Avatars do. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121504251

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Huh, thanks for the replies. I might hold off on

DEMAG posted:

We summoned Set! Crazy how much damage Avatars do. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121504251

Oh goddammit I'm going to buy this, aren't I?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I am modding crafting, and set up a spreadsheet that is easier to read than the one in their editor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fSIM0iwCDJwfAV5_yGIxkiIbJ2Q1EH2Z5a-67gjzvFs/edit?usp=sharing

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DEMAG posted:

You summoned him on us jerkface!

I don't miss the giant autism temple though. It killed me when running back to base.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So in my solo play it seems like the first big bottleneck is iron. It only seems to spawn up in the mountains. At least the run there and back is interesting and fraught with hyenas and ostriches though.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If you can get there, there is a double oasis in the north that has iron/coal near it that makes a good place to build. just keep away from resources and the mitrans and nothing should get shut off.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Maaan i had a sweet little spot up high on a piece of destroyed bridge, a little too much south for my taste but still a quiet spot.

The only time i forget to remove a piece of stairs before going on an adventure I get all my poo poo destroyed while i'm away. It's my own dumb fault but i'm still too bummed out to start all over again yet.

I even had a ''These stairs are protected'' sign. Goons are jerks :saddowns: but i deserved it i guess.

e:engrish.

Also it's weird as I died "from falling" while running on flat ground.

Hard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 12, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The infections one could get from a stubbed toe in a pre-antibiotics world are lethal.
Conan expedites this process for your convenience.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So the avatars look pretty stupid and seem overpowered. Have the mentioned what the point of picking Crom will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

lilspooky posted:

So the avatars look pretty stupid and seem overpowered. Have the mentioned what the point of picking Crom will be?

You don't need to waste time with avatars. Instead you can use the time to slay mans by yourself.

• Locked thread