Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, while technically not under $100 at the moment (They're $108 right now on amazon, but frequently $99)
The Sennheiser 598c are FANTASTIC for the price. Big heads be warned. They're not for you.

I have both and honestly I give the edge to the stratus on price comfort and sound.

The 598s are great but I like the CB1s much better.

Sound is so subjective though so yeah.

Really though the CB1s need more love they are quite amazing at their price point.

Really though you can't go wrong the 598s,CB1, or the 9500s.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone picking up the BeatsX today? I am tempted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot all about them and looks like none of the Apple stores around here have them in stock until Wednesday. May go ahead and order anyway and pick them up on the way home from work.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Dameius posted:

Is there a thread consensus on what the king of the <$100 headphones are? Specifically, ones that would only be used when connected to a desktop and only for playing video games. I'm looking to get the most value for dollar but am not overly concerned about exceptional quality, specially considering we are talking sub $100 anyways.

Phillips SH9500 for open cans. Add a V-Moda BoomPro in the future and you even have a headset.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I forgot all about them and looks like none of the Apple stores around here have them in stock until Wednesday. May go ahead and order anyway and pick them up on the way home from work.

It looks like the black and white ones are in stock around me, but I would like that blue one.. probably not enough to wait the extra 2+ weeks though!

Reviews look decent so far, so that's promising.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah sorry, guess I should clarify a little. These are going to be for my wife to use and she said that she would prefer closed cans. A mic included doesn't matter, since I have an extra Antlion modmic leftover from when my job needed me to have one. The 598 Cs look good, a few dollars over isn't a big deal, so long as the quality is there. Just to cover bases, would there be anything that could stand up to it at that price point or is it going to be best in slot for closed cans at or around $100?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

Yeah sorry, guess I should clarify a little. These are going to be for my wife to use and she said that she would prefer closed cans. A mic included doesn't matter, since I have an extra Antlion modmic leftover from when my job needed me to have one. The 598 Cs look good, a few dollars over isn't a big deal, so long as the quality is there. Just to cover bases, would there be anything that could stand up to it at that price point or is it going to be best in slot for closed cans at or around $100?

The stratus cb1s.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeatsX Trip Report

Picked up a pair at the Apple store this evening, there were only a couple left and only in black and white (I got black). Grey and Blue are coming in 2 weeks apparently. Sadly they were too expensive to just use the camera scan and walk out thing that Apple has, which is still a minor thrill in the "are they gonna stop me??" way, but I digress..

The only other pair of wireless IEMs I have tried out so far are the Optoma Nuforce BE6i. I really didn't like these. The first thing I didn't like about them was how far the drivers stuck out of your ears. The second was how short the cable was joining the drivers together was. Thankfully, the BeatsX have neither of these issues. They fit in ear great and are almost flush with the front of my ears. The medium tips do a decent seal but I may move up to the larger. I think I'd be happy with medium though. I didn't put on the wingtips, with the medium tips they actually have a minor pop when I remove them, so they're in pretty good.

Pairing with the iPhone (7+) is a snap. I did manage to muck it up because I plugged it in to charge right off the bat and the pairing button doesn't work when it is charging, apparently. When I tried unplugging and hitting the pair, the notification came up on my phone when it was held within a few inches and bam, done. Super easy.

Sound wise, I'd say they're not quite as good as my previous favourites, the RHA 750i. However, they're very good and I will be totally fine with them. It's my first experience listening to a Beats product and they are fairly well balanced with a decent amount of low end thump without it being overwhelming. I listen to a lot of different stuff but lately I've been on a house kick and I don't find them fatiguing to listen to. Stuff like Jamie xx's "Gosh" really booms, and the off-beat handclap rhythm is very clear over the huge bass drum. I'm not a heavy duty audiophile so I don't know the terms, but it sounds good to me anyway. The old standby speaker tester "Don't know why" by Norah Jones does sound a bit peaky. Had to turn down the volume on that one. "Only Shallow" from MBV sounds good, which is nice because on cheaper speakers/headphones it can turn into a real muddy mess. All of these were played from Google Play music so they weren't lossless FLAC or anything like that.

Having wireless is a huge advantage not only due to the lack of proper headphone jack on the iPhone, but I do a lot of active work in a lab environment where a dangling cable can, and has snagged on things in unfortunate ways. So I'm pretty stoked that I like these, I'd been thinking about a pair of over ear wireless like the MDR-1000X or QC35s but those are a lot pricier and I prefer the IEMs in general anyway.

The buds come with 3 additional pairs of different size tips, 2 sets of wings, a 6" lighting to USB cable and a rubber egg to stuff the buds into.

In all, quite happy with them, glad I held off! Well, I was thinking of holding off for the blue ones.. Nah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I highly suggest looking into the comply tips. I have them on my power beats 2 and they make a huge difference over the stock tips.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I highly suggest looking into the comply tips. I have them on my power beats 2 and they make a huge difference over the stock tips.

How often do you replace em? I usually skip the foamies with IEMs because I don't want to have to swap them when they get too nasty. Do they go on good sales on amazon etc?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

How often do you replace em? I usually skip the foamies with IEMs because I don't want to have to swap them when they get too nasty. Do they go on good sales on amazon etc?

I've never had to replace them. I don't think they will get nasty.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The stratus cb1s.

STATUS!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

jesus christ thank you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol is it really? Well my mistake!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MarcusSA posted:

I've never had to replace them. I don't think they will get nasty.

I wear mine like every weekday for hours and they usually last about 8 weeks. They start to fall apart after a bit.

~$20 every 6 months isn't bad for the comfort, sound quality, and isolation.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I already have a pair of DT-770s that I absolutely adore. I just bought a new TV for the first time in forever and lo and behold, TVs don't come with headphone jacks anymore, so I either need to get a stupid audio setup just for headphones or just buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones. So, if I'm looking for a pair of BT headphones that can sort of match the DT-770s in terms of quality and comfort, what's the best bet? I'm ok with a little less audio quality since I'll only be using these for TV/movies, not music. Budget is under 300.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

I already have a pair of DT-770s that I absolutely adore. I just bought a new TV for the first time in forever and lo and behold, TVs don't come with headphone jacks anymore, so I either need to get a stupid audio setup just for headphones or just buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones. So, if I'm looking for a pair of BT headphones that can sort of match the DT-770s in terms of quality and comfort, what's the best bet? I'm ok with a little less audio quality since I'll only be using these for TV/movies, not music. Budget is under 300.

In that case, I'd suggest a Bluetooth receiver instead like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...=mpow+bluetooth

I've only used mine on easy to drive headphones, but it works pretty well. Some people have tried it on higher impedance headphones and it seems to work out OK. Not sure which DT-770 you have but you can give that a shot and just reuse what you already have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

priznat posted:

BeatsX Trip Report
How's battery life so far?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

How's battery life so far?

I just used em about 2.5 hours so far and it says 65% remaining (initial charge state said 95%), the main test will be during a full work day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I just used em about 2.5 hours so far and it says 65% remaining (initial charge state said 95%), the main test will be during a full work day.

Weren't they supposed to last like 12 hours?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Weren't they supposed to last like 12 hours?

No that's the powerbeats3, beatsx are 8 hours and it seems in line with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

No that's the powerbeats3, beatsx are 8 hours and it seems in line with it.

Oh yeah that's right. 8 isn't terrible honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, they claim they can get 2 hours of charge in 5 minutes, too, so that's really good. I think I'm going to see if any of the local stores have them in stock tomorrow morning then order them if not.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Constellation I posted:

In that case, I'd suggest a Bluetooth receiver instead like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...=mpow+bluetooth

I've only used mine on easy to drive headphones, but it works pretty well. Some people have tried it on higher impedance headphones and it seems to work out OK. Not sure which DT-770 you have but you can give that a shot and just reuse what you already have.

That looks pretty cool! I have 80ohm and a magni I could plug into if I had to.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Are there any Bluetooth headphones that are similar to the Koss Sportapros?

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf
I'm looking at getting a second pair of headphones since I hate using my lovely Bose earbuds at the office.

I've got a pair of OPPO PM-3s which are amazing. I'm using those at home, and I will probably bring those to the office since they're closed and have good isolation, etc.

So I'm looking for a pair of similar quality / price range ($400 to 500 ish) that I can use at home. Can be open.

Source is a laptop (and if I am sitting at my desk, with a USB powered DAC). Just listen to a bunch of Spotify. I usually turn the audio off on video games. Would be unlikely to use them with my cellphone.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

sink posted:

I'm looking at getting a second pair of headphones since I hate using my lovely Bose earbuds at the office.

I've got a pair of OPPO PM-3s which are amazing. I'm using those at home, and I will probably bring those to the office since they're closed and have good isolation, etc.

So I'm looking for a pair of similar quality / price range ($400 to 500 ish) that I can use at home. Can be open.

Source is a laptop (and if I am sitting at my desk, with a USB powered DAC). Just listen to a bunch of Spotify. I usually turn the audio off on video games. Would be unlikely to use them with my cellphone.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hifiman HE-400i is in that price range, and are open circumaural. They're also planar magnetics like your Oppo PM-3, which have probably spoiled you for speed and tightness.

I have a pair and think they're quite terrific. They're fairly light and very comfortable.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf

D1E posted:

Hifiman HE-400i is in that price range, and are open circumaural. They're also planar magnetics like your Oppo PM-3, which have probably spoiled you for speed and tightness.

I have a pair and think they're quite terrific. They're fairly light and very comfortable.

Thanks much! Just ordered the last pair off Amazon (should get here on the 16th). Stereophile (uncertain if that is a reputable source) also seems to think very highly of them (http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2016-edition-headphones#syGETI1DvYqpAFVV.97).

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

sink posted:

Thanks much! Just ordered the last pair off Amazon (should get here on the 16th). Stereophile (uncertain if that is a reputable source) also seems to think very highly of them (http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2016-edition-headphones#syGETI1DvYqpAFVV.97).

Cool, I certainly hope you like them. Here's another reference (for their little brother the HE-400S):

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-open-back-headphones-under-500/

That same site selected your Oppos as the best Over-Ear Headphones under $400.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
A couple years ago this thread recommended that I get a Turtle Beach Earforce X12 headset for playing video games with my friends and it's been great, but over the past couple of weeks when the mic is on it just blasts static to both me and the people on the other end. Is there a decent cheap mic I can clip on? Should I look to get another headset instead? I know nothing about this sort of thing and I'm not looking to spend an assload of money, but when I asked a buddy he suggested a clip on mic that costs more than this entire headset did!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Cheapest decent clip-on mic is the Zalman ZM-1. I think it's like $8. You'd need to plug it in to a mic in port and clip it on to a shirt, though.

For an actual headset, you can get a Phillips SH9500 plus a V-Moda BoomPro. Or a HyperX Cloud if you want a closed headset. Alternatively, Status Audio CB-1's with a V-Moda BoomPro also.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is this for console gaming?

Also the zalman clip mic is a real piece of poo poo.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Dogen posted:

Is this for console gaming?

Also the zalman clip mic is a real piece of poo poo.

PC. I don't want to buy a piece of poo poo, obviously.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got a modmic after my zalman finally totally crapped out and have been happy with it. The boompro thing seems similar. Pair one of those with a decent pair of headphones? Senn 598s or something.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I'm looking to get an amp to plug into my work computer to run my CB-1's through. I am not sure exactly what I need or if it is even worth it.

Any advice or direction? Thanks.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Is there a current best pick for sub $300 IEMs? I have 3 pairs of $50 IEMs that I use at home, at the office, and while traveling and I'd like to use one pair instead that sounds really great. I listen to pop, indie, and rock mostly; I feel like I generally like a warm sound without anything feeling tiring. I read through the headfi recommendations but nothing jumped out at me as a perfect fit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SteveMcQueen posted:

Is there a current best pick for sub $300 IEMs? I have 3 pairs of $50 IEMs that I use at home, at the office, and while traveling and I'd like to use one pair instead that sounds really great. I listen to pop, indie, and rock mostly; I feel like I generally like a warm sound without anything feeling tiring. I read through the headfi recommendations but nothing jumped out at me as a perfect fit.

Nuforce Primo 8 or Dunu 2000 perhaps?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cbear posted:

I'm looking to get an amp to plug into my work computer to run my CB-1's through. I am not sure exactly what I need or if it is even worth it.

Any advice or direction? Thanks.

Do you just need an amp or a DAC as well?

The CB-1's are not that difficult to drive so any of the standard recommendations will do.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Do you just need an amp or a DAC as well?

The CB-1's are not that difficult to drive so any of the standard recommendations will do.

I honestly have no idea what I need. I assume both an amp and DAC.

What are the standard recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
There's the Schiit Stack: Schiit Magni + Schiit Modi

Then there's the Objective2 + ODAC.

Then a little bit down the list is a Fiio E10K.

I'd only honestly get one if your current audio out at work is super noisy. Otherwise, you don't really need it.