Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's kinda nuts, I didn't know companies would do that especially for PS2 games. I know I emulated 2 because it was insanely expensive but it would be kinda cool to pick up a copy now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

That's kinda nuts, I didn't know companies would do that especially for PS2 games. I know I emulated 2 because it was insanely expensive but it would be kinda cool to pick up a copy now

Atlus still does it for the PS2 SMT games, which is why Nocturne can be picked up for $15 right now instead of the $100+ it was going for shortly after release.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

No, just his mom's
:drat:

That's a brutal reference

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I kind of wish they had brought over the HD versions of 1 and 2 instead of making a new printing of the PS2 version

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I kind of wish they had brought over the HD versions of 1 and 2 instead of making a new printing of the PS2 version

This except doing it exclusively for the Wii U version. :getin:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

This except doing it exclusively for the Wii U version. :getin:

Hey, the PS2 might be dead but it's not THAT dead

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hey, the PS2 might be dead but it's not THAT dead

This is verifiably true since FIFA got a 2014 release on PS2 but not Wii U (13 was the last Wii U version).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They are bringing over the HD version of Yakuza 1 though, but it's the PS4 Kiwami remake with good gameplay and not that poo poo HD remaster.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yakuza 2 is still only on PS2 in English, and since it's one of very few dual-layered games it's a pain to play without a legit disc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega of Japan has said they want to give Yakuza 2 the Kiwami treatment too so if you just wait about 1-2 years you'll be able to play that too.

Fingers crossed!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

They are bringing over the HD version of Yakuza 1 though, but it's the PS4 Kiwami remake with good gameplay and not that poo poo HD remaster.

Yeah I already own 3 and 4 on PS3 so I'm gonna get Kiwami PS4 when it's out. I can't justify spending money on PS2 games in 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Sega of Japan has said they want to give Yakuza 2 the Kiwami treatment too so if you just wait about 1-2 years you'll be able to play that too.

Fingers crossed!

Pff. Like we'll be able to afford video games in 2 years.

Besides, we have Yakuza 0 which is all we'll ever need.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
To weigh in super late: Ni no Kuni is fun but lasts about 40 hours longer than it should. Also it was only fun because I didn't leave healing to the AI. I mostly just let the AI break things with their faces, which they are good at.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ni No Kuni should have been an adventure game instead of a JRPG.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

Pff. Like we'll be able to afford video games in 2 years.

Besides, we have Yakuza 0 which is all we'll ever need.

But Yakuza 0 is missing Akiyama? Hopefully Yakuza 6 will be out sooner.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ni No Kuni was fine, and great to play with kids.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Getsuya posted:

To weigh in super late: Ni no Kuni is fun but lasts about 40 hours longer than it should. Also it was only fun because I didn't leave healing to the AI. I mostly just let the AI break things with their faces, which they are good at.
The biggest problem with Ni no Kuni (and Yokai Watch, for that matter) is that Level 5 has a raging boner for entirely RNG-based monster recruitment, which is poo poo and has always been poo poo.

:psyduck: I still have no idea how so many monster-collecting games gently caress the actual monster collecting part up so badly

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

U.T. Raptor posted:

The biggest problem with Ni no Kuni (and Yokai Watch, for that matter) is that Level 5 has a raging boner for entirely RNG-based monster recruitment, which is poo poo and has always been poo poo.

:psyduck: I still have no idea how so many monster-collecting games gently caress the actual monster collecting part up so badly

I'm not big on the "grind the evolved monster back up" system either.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fix posted:

Ni No Kuni was fine, and great to play with kids.
Do you like traumatizing kids :(

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I wish more games did what Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth did here, and just went 'gently caress it if you kill x of this guy you get them'

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CrashCat posted:

kids have an endless amount of patience for bullshit

In Training posted:

square enix winter sale had a surprising amount of physical editions of ps1/ps2/psp games, i dont know if they were burning through back stock or what but i am shocked that they were selling that stuff in physical media still

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

square enix winter sale had a surprising amount of physical editions of ps1/ps2/psp games, i dont know if they were burning through back stock or what but i am shocked that they were selling that stuff in physical media still

I don't think it's back stock at this point because they've had them available online for years and every time one of those sales goes on there's at least one or two PS1 games involved that sells out and then comes back in stock at a later date.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

univbee posted:

:siren: Yakuza 1-4 have gotten a reprinting

So you can get Yakuza 2 for $49.99CAD now instead of the $100+ it was going for.

Available at videogamesplus in Canada and Amazon in the US.

Only Yakuza 4 is available digitally at this time, and saves of the physical and digital versions aren't compatible, just FYI.

I really wish they'd put 3 up digitally.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah I bought a new cart of TWEWY. Shrink wrapped and everything for like 15 bucks which was awesome.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

rabidsquid posted:

Well thanks to this post I am now $200 dollars poorer thanks to finding their Final Fantasy sale. I'm pretty happy tbh.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay finished MGS2 and I'm sorry for anything negative I said about it. What a ride. The last act is just incredible. Wasn't crazy about the actual ending itself. Really I just want to dive right back in to the Patriots plot. Are there connections between 3 and 4? Or could I skip right to 4 if I want to pick up where 2 leaves off?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's connections between 3 and 4 and more importantly Metal Gear Solid 3 is an incredible game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skipping mgs3 would be a mistake.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, you really should play 3 before 4, it introduces a couple of important characters and backstory stuff you'll be totally confused about otherwise.

And also, as others mentioned, you should play it because it's a loving great game where you can throw literal snakes at people to kill them.

MGS3 tip. Call everyone on the radio about everything. There's a conversation about every single item, weapon, camouflage and food. Sometimes several.

I should replay MGS3. It's the best in the series by a long way, and I loving love the entire series.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Getsuya posted:

Okay finished MGS2 and I'm sorry for anything negative I said about it. What a ride. The last act is just incredible. Wasn't crazy about the actual ending itself. Really I just want to dive right back in to the Patriots plot. Are there connections between 3 and 4? Or could I skip right to 4 if I want to pick up where 2 leaves off?

Do NOT skip MGS 3.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CrashCat posted:

Sure, it had it's grinding bits and the AI was problematic, but I would hardly call that traumatizing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like i would have enjoyed that game much more if the party ai was just a little less dumb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well yeah, combat would have been playable instead of an awful chore

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ni no Kuni is the only RPG I've gotten rid of without finishing it first.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Ni No Kuni is good. that is all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

morallyobjected posted:

Ni No Kuni is good. that is all.

:wrong:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fix posted:

Sure, it had it's grinding bits and the AI was problematic, but I would hardly call that traumatizing.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I have the story confused with something else, but I remember thinking it was kinda dark and hosed up for something that looks so cute

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

My favourite part of NNK was Level 5 pissing away all the good things they'd made in DQ8 and Rogue Galaxy. Like the AI mates asking me if they should use skills, or the MP-restoring items not costing all my money per cup of coffee.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Do not skip the best game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay. I was going to play it at some point I just wasn't sure if it continued the plot since it's a prequel. I will play them in order.