Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I don't think I can beat Yuki-Onna. Her charge-impale attack has drat near no tell and if you're not in i-frames when she does it you get hit. I just can't keep up with the sheer amount of perfect dodges this fight expects from me.

Just run waaaay away, was my solution. Get in and hit her a bunch and then get across the loving room.

That fight forced me to switch to medium armor so I could survive her stab, because I had such a hard time avoiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That fight forced me to switch to medium armor so I could survive her stab, because I had such a hard time avoiding it.

Did you find there was that much difference in defense between light and medium? I'm considering switching to light now that I have the Red Demon set but I don't want to respec into Skill and then find that I get wrecked amazingly hard when I inevitably get hit.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Alteisen posted:

I sincerely hope they patch this poo poo, makes soul match kinda pointless.

It gets exponentially more expensive the more different the item is. Just use things you find till you get to level 150 divines.

Harrow posted:

I don't think I can beat Yuki-Onna. Her charge-impale attack has drat near no tell and if you're not in i-frames when she does it you get hit. I just can't keep up with the sheer amount of perfect dodges this fight expects from me.

She does a flip thing with her staff to put it away then pulls out her sword.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow you have been agonizing about armor for weeks are you ok

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thing I just learned: The sneak attack is, for some reason, an AOE. So if there's more than one enemy in close proximity they'll all get hit by it even if the stab doesn't actually land on them.

edit: Also, why does William not carry, like... a lamp. Just pick one up dude they're everywhere, I am so tired of foggy and dark areas.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 11, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Harrow you have been agonizing about armor for weeks are you ok

I always do this for builds, I am incapable of making decisions. You don't even wanna know how much a Book of Reincarnation costs at the blacksmith for me right now.

CJacobs posted:

Thing I just learned: The sneak attack is, for some reason, an AOE. So if there's more than one enemy in close proximity they'll all get hit by it even if the stab doesn't actually land on them.

Well that's baffling. Even if it does the full grapple animation?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have literally not been able to parry for the past 100 times I've tried to do it. I've made sure that it is the selected skill and I'm in the right stance. People have said the parry window is wider than in Bloodborne but I am completely unable to make it work here

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Most of my successful parries have been completely accidental.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have literally not been able to parry for the past 100 times I've tried to do it. I've made sure that it is the selected skill and I'm in the right stance. People have said the parry window is wider than in Bloodborne but I am completely unable to make it work here

It seems like the window for parrying doesn't last for the whole animation- only during the block itself, not in the transition before or after. I wouldn't know, I've only ever done it by accident. I also have never done the Tempest thing and it's getting to the point where I think it might be bugged.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the side mission in the caves where you have to fight off a horde of increasingly hard enemies at the end. I wouldn't mind a few more of those.

Do those monk guys actually do anything? Are they buffing enemies or summoning or something? They just seemed completely helpless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I liked the side mission in the caves where you have to fight off a horde of increasingly hard enemies at the end. I wouldn't mind a few more of those.

Do those monk guys actually do anything? Are they buffing enemies or summoning or something? They just seemed completely helpless.

The monks summon those revenants.

So, uh, I've died 98 times to Tachibana Muneshige so far

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what abilities should i prioritize learning for the spear? i want to be good with it but have no idea what i'm doing. it does seem to deplete ki alarmingly fast, though, which is fun

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a reason some armor pieces have their special attributes greyed-out and unusable? The 'Special' word will be in red and the rest of the stuff in grey, which is usually game-speak for "none of these will work" but I can't find an explanation for why that is.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

Is there a reason some armor pieces have their special attributes greyed-out and unusable? The 'Special' word will be in red and the rest of the stuff in grey, which is usually game-speak for "none of these will work" but I can't find an explanation for why that is.

check the very bottom of the special attributes, there's stat requirements (the one you're missing is in red)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have died 177 times to Tachibana Muneshige. I will have to try again tomorrow

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What's the consensus on this game? Good? I haven't really cared to mess with my ps4 since I got a new gpu for my pc, but this game looked pretty interesting last I looked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's pretty fun.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died 177 times to Tachibana Muneshige. I will have to try again tomorrow

Learn the rock. Love the rock.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ugh i got all the kodama but missed a teaset piece

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have died 204 times to Tachibana Muneshige

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Well, Umi Bozu is down! Thanks for the advice, thread. Turns out literally just running around him was what I needed to be doing. Everything clicked after that and I took him down no problem.

And, as if to reassure me that I wasn't bad at the game after all, every boss died in one or two attempts thereafter, and now I'm on a bridge fighting what I suspect to be the ghost of Benkei the monk?? And he ain't poo poo, comparatively. I nearly had him on my first attempt before I decided to quit for the night. I think tomorrow, when I can just focus, I'll have no trouble.

I also respecced out of katanas and into dual swords, just to change it up a little bit. It's interesting- I don't feel like it's as technical as the single sword is, and the iaido moves don't feel as delicious to pull off, but at least they charge lickety split. The parry leaves my back open though, and I'm not a big fan of that. I used to take big enough damage on a failed Haze parry, even the flashiness doesn't feel like it's worth the risk with my back exposed though. Does anyone have any recommendations for skills? I'm kinda liking dual swords so far, and I wanna see how far I can take them.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

CJacobs posted:

It seems like the window for parrying doesn't last for the whole animation- only during the block itself, not in the transition before or after. I wouldn't know, I've only ever done it by accident. I also have never done the Tempest thing and it's getting to the point where I think it might be bugged.

Tempest works, it's just the translation is misleading. You have to break someone's guard with a sword attack then immediately press L1 to get it to work. I havent been able to get it to work with the kick or ki burst thing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

what abilities should i prioritize learning for the spear? i want to be good with it but have no idea what i'm doing. it does seem to deplete ki alarmingly fast, though, which is fun

The mid stance kick combo ender is amazing for how much ki damage it deals, and Spear Fall, the high stance combo ender, breaks the game wide open if you can catch someone in a stagger loop with it and if you have a certain armor set. But as always, grapple and Living Water should probably be first priorities.

For added fun, use magic to set up discord stacks and spam Spear Fall to effortlessly destroy anything vulnerable to status effects! Which is almost everything its really pretty silly.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, why does William not carry, like... a lamp. Just pick one up dude they're everywhere, I am so tired of foggy and dark areas.

Same with the Scorpion getoverhere move with the kusarigama

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I feel like axes need much more of a moveset, it feels so...sparse compared to the other weapons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

redreader posted:

So is this game Good? I liked all the souls games. What's the consensus now that it's been out for a bit?

Game is good. Could use some graphical polish but that's just technicals. Needs multiplayer pvp though

loving stamina system though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I feel like axes need much more of a moveset, it feels so...sparse compared to the other weapons.

it's really weird when fighting revenants with axes, they always try to spam high stance power spin smash and that's like the most telegraphed move ever, especially as someone who spams high stance spin smash

on a lighter note I've gotten to a point I can pretty much wipe the floor with revenants for days if I have enough space to fight on

still took me over an hour to beat Nue :negative:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i will say the best part of the axe is breaking ki with low stance combos and then swinging some idiot into a wall neck first, I keep demolishing ninjas like that and it's hilarious every time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died 204 times to Tachibana Muneshige

Shiggy is extremely telegraphed, the only real issue is the drat dog but if you've died that many times you should know what he's gonna hit you with, stay in low stance and only block if you have no choice, otherwise keep a set distance from him and hit him once when he attacks and back off, let him drain his ki then go for a big hit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it just me or is Joro-Gumo hilariously easy?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It took me 235 deaths to defeat Tachibana Muneshige.

Life is but a walking shadow

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I cannot deal with the bosses in this game! Its frustrating because the missions themselves have been easy enough buy I've already had to resort to summoning for the first three real bosses. So far they all feel like the defiled chalice bosses from bloodborne: way too much health for how fragile I am. What are some tips for helping me git gud? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So you know the hat Mujinas wear? That's its ballsack.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It took me 235 deaths to defeat Tachibana Muneshige.

Life is but a walking shadow

Look on the bright side! Assuming you learned from that experience maybe the rest of the game will be easier!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Weird Sandwich posted:

I cannot deal with the bosses in this game! Its frustrating because the missions themselves have been easy enough buy I've already had to resort to summoning for the first three real bosses. So far they all feel like the defiled chalice bosses from bloodborne: way too much health for how fragile I am. What are some tips for helping me git gud? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the game.

What are your stats? I have about 5 elixirs at Nue. Probably 4 for Lady Enema or whatever bat lady was named. I think I'm about 10 average across the board

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is mostly useless but if anyone (for some reason) attempts an unarmed run, remember you can combo punch-kick if you do it out of a dodge. With enough ki you can attack decently quickly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yea I have no idea how to get the parries to work consistently against poo poo that isn't the human pirates.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 11, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had about 10 tries at Tachibana Muneshige and decided it wasn't happening so I left for the next island.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Yodzilla posted:

Ki pulsing is something you eventually stop worrying about because it's just what you do all the drat time. It's weird at first but eventually becomes second nature like active reloading in Gears.

Bat Girl for me was the "stay out of her way" fight. She telegraphs everything and blocking her is just going to get you killed. Let he do her thing and move in when she's pausing after an attack.

Me too I had 0 trouble with her. Just make sure to run away from her and all her attacks (seriously, with A level speed it's just a matter of running with x pressed and manage your ki) and when she tries to thrust herself in your direction hit her and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game got a lot better for me when I just stopped paying attention to ki pulsing and actually played the video game instead of trying to play DDR while my enemies took swings at me. I don't get what the point of "you never have to stop attacking" is when big enemies don't get stumbled and normal sized enemies can just block your combo after the first swing of it. Speaking of which, that's starting to become really annoying as the game goes on. Every human boss I've fought so far just auto-blocks combos so I have to do one hit, dodge away or walk around them or whatever, and repeat, and every fight takes forever.