Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

drunkill posted:

The American space shuttles were rolled to the pad upright on the mobile crawlers.

Which, while not trains, were rad as gently caress and also huge:

Check out that fire truck next to the treads for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Which, while not trains, were rad as gently caress and also huge:

Check out that fire truck next to the treads for scale.

Are, not were. They're still around and will be used for the SLS and I believe for some commercial launch vehicles.

They are also incredibly impressive, although super claustrophobic inside (as tight as old submarines, though you don't have to live in it.)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Kalman posted:

Are, not were. They're still around and will be used for the SLS and I believe for some commercial launch vehicles.

They are also incredibly impressive, although super claustrophobic inside (as tight as old submarines, though you don't have to live in it.)

I keep wanting to think it is dumb they plan to do that with the sls, but then I have to remind myself that the crawlers were built and used to move assembled saturn 5 rockets to the pad as well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/02/10/train-derailment/

Maybe a washout?

https://twitter.com/tlomedia/status/830168633452081152

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fun fact: the two NASA crawler-transports are among the very few mobile things considered big and permanent enough to merit a listing in the National Register of Historic Places. They're big enough transport vehicles to be considered locations in and of themselves.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Gorilla Salad posted:

Russian version:

i know that it isnt but it looks like an american motor. the russian/chinese knockoffs ive seen dont have walkways on the side.

hunter harrison is down in jacksonville freaking everyone out. it seems like he probably got a place on the board but, what remains to be seen, is how much of a free hand he'll be given to reshape the network and how long of a timeframe he wants to act on.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i know that it isnt but it looks like an american motor. the russian/chinese knockoffs ive seen dont have walkways on the side.

hunter harrison is down in jacksonville freaking everyone out. it seems like he probably got a place on the board but, what remains to be seen, is how much of a free hand he'll be given to reshape the network and how long of a timeframe he wants to act on.

I honestly thought it was a repainted version of the engines they use for shunting here, but it turns out only 4 of those were ever built.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Don't think they're so much knockoffs as similar requirements leading to similar designs. There's only so many ways you can sensible arrange the bits of a diesel locomotive.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Not saying that at all. Probably built during the same time with roughly the same requirements lead to them looking very similar.

vains
May 26, 2004

Elukka posted:

Don't think they're so much knockoffs as similar requirements leading to similar designs. There's only so many ways you can sensible arrange the bits of a diesel locomotive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_locomotive_class_TE3

this is what i was referring to when i said 'chinese knockoffs'. china built these under license or something and then seemed to have used them as the basis for the rest of what they built.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How does Hunter Harrison keep on getting hired by people?

vains
May 26, 2004

iospace posted:

How does Hunter Harrison keep on getting hired by people?

because he/his team made a lot of money for the shareholders of cn and then cp.

switch points may be the self aggrandizement of a management consulting company but, nonetheless, he has a vision and the skills to make that vision real.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5926

vains
May 26, 2004

incentive pay. i'd kill for contracts with incentive pay. incentive pay at both the terminal level and the individual level. then, not only do you have employees policing themselves, you have employees policing the rest of the workforce and thats an effective tool.

but lol at any union bargaining dude agreeing to that.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
If only BMWE members could unite like the trainmen seem to do.

vains
May 26, 2004

incentive pay. i'd kill for contracts with incentive pay. incentive pay at both the terminal level and the individual level. then, not only do you have employees policing themselves, you have employees policing the rest of the workforce and thats an effective tool.

but lol at any union bargaining dude agreeing to that.

but also lol at the company paying out anything meaningful

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

True to a degree I am sure, but Russia did use the ALCO RSD-1 as the basis for a number of their home built diesels. They got 70 of them from the US during WW2. The TE1 was a straight out reverse engineered Alco RSD-1. I believe the TEM2 is of that lineage, which I think might be the loco hauling the Soyuz rocket.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

e_wraith posted:

True to a degree I am sure, but Russia did use the ALCO RSD-1 as the basis for a number of their home built diesels. They got 70 of them from the US during WW2. The TE1 was a straight out reverse engineered Alco RSD-1. I believe the TEM2 is of that lineage, which I think might be the loco hauling the Soyuz rocket.

That isn't the only instance of the Russians doing that. Many of their road locomotives use an opposed piston engine design very similar to those made by Fairbanks Morse. The US loaned a number of icebreakers to Russian during WW2 which had FM diesels in them. The theory I've heard is that the Russians reverse-engineered the FM OP diesel and have used it ever since, long after FM exited the locomotive business themselves.

Russian diesels are pretty awesome anyway, mostly because they don't exactly maintain them properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZJ0ReTSLo&t=34s

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 15, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
choo choo motherfuckers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FrYCP0amAE

Intercity train going 140-160Kmh hits a dirtbike.

On another line, also today, another Vline train hits an abandoned 4wd on the tracks and is derailed.
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/4470299/bendigo-train-car-collide/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 15, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drunkill posted:

choo choo motherfuckers:

Intercity train going 140-160Kmh hits a dirtbike.

Pretty sure they aren't fixing that bike. That was a drat close call for that guy.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

That is a variation of TEM2 and that along with ChME3 made up the wast majority of soviet union shunting force.
It's as russian as it gets.

Here's an earlier, less angular TEM2:

Over 6 thousand of these things got made:

And ChME3:

My guess is you can tell which ones they are in this amusing picture of exUSSR equipment meets american freight locos in Estonia.
Over 8 thousand ChME3 got made in the end, so again impressive numbers.

vains
May 26, 2004

TheCoach posted:

It's as russian as it gets.

http://locomotives.com.pl/Diesels/SM48.htm

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Vasily, she is running a little rich.

Da. but she is running!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, but it's not just about braking capacity, it's friction that actually stops the vehicle.

The video shows a 487-ton jet with rubber tires interfacing a concrete surface. There's a lot of surface area there which generates a lot of friction when brakes are applied slowing the jet quite quickly.

The tanker train in question weighed in at a staggering 8,480-tons and used steel wheels contacting a steel rail, a setup designed to minimize friction. The actual contact area per wheel is about the same as a dime, and given 8 contacts per car the whole train only has around 850 dimes worth of contact with the rails. Doing some rounding and quick math and you have each dime sized steel-on-steel contact expected to somehow stop around 10-tons worth of moving mass. There's just no way it's going to happen quickly, and adding more braking capacity just means that the wheels are more likely to lock and slide like a car on ice instead of rolling to a stop.

I think you might be confusing rolling resistance/lossage and friction on some of this. You want as much friction as you can get between the wheels and the road, because it's what lets you actually move, but as little rolling resistance as possible. Steel on steel is pretty alright when you've got that much weight on top of it.

The other issue is, the rails aren't even secured that well (friction wise) to the sleepers. They can support the weight fine, but if you try and slam on the brakes really hard and you've made it so you can grip the rails real well, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply get ripped off the sleepers and carried along with the train. For that matter, trains going into emergency sometimes derail when the slack in the couplers gets taken up abruptly and cars sorta seesaw side to side, hell if I'm remembering an engineer's story correctly, sometimes the train will bunch up enough that wheels get lifted off the rails. It gets even uglier if the train is going around a corner when this happens. Also, remember that (barring extreme circumstances like a locomotive going to full power while the rest of the train is stopped with the brakes on, which is what caused that great pic of the rails with notches ground in them from a loco burnout) locomotives have enough traction to pull so drat hard they can actually break the knuckles on the railcars - it's not really a matter of needing more traction on the rails, but more... can the train stay on the rails while decelerating that quickly (and unevenly, given how the brake signals are propagated back via air pressure) and can the rails stay attached to the ground at the same time. It's just an awful lot of mass and energy to dissipate so quickly.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
An empowering commercial for a protein supplement came on, and this little scene flicked by;

It's obviously fake at second glance, (otherwise the golfers would smoke the skylights directly in front of their tees) but still, what the hell makes you think this is okay, Boost?

e: posted from mobile, sorry for huge

NoWake fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 16, 2017

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Which version is better?

or

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

NoWake posted:

An empowering commercial for a protein supplement came on, and this little scene flicked by;

It's obviously fake at second glance, (otherwise the golfers would smoke the skylights directly in front of their tees) but still, what the hell makes you think this is okay, Boost?

Considering that is Port Metro Vancouver and the accompanying rail yard (they're shooting from 503 Railway St), you wouldn't get away with it.

vains
May 26, 2004

NoWake posted:

whats not okay with hitting golfballs at longshoreman?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

whats not okay with hitting golfballs at longshoreman?

Never gently caress with people who have the means to send you halfway around the world in a metal box that only opens from the outside.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

That picture of the Buran on rails looks like it coulda come straight out of Thunderbirds

I was thinking either Metal Gear Solid 3 or an Ace Combat boss battle

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

inkjet_lakes posted:

Ace Combat boss battle

needs to be in a tunnel for that

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Never gently caress with people who have the means to send you halfway around the world in a metal box that only opens from the outside.

I want to get this stitched on one of those cutesie throw pillows like you see in grandma's house.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Well it is old western technology being used way past it's prime.

As Russian as it gets my friend.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

inkjet_lakes posted:

I was thinking either Metal Gear Solid 3 or an Ace Combat boss battle

The original Xbox Ace Combat-alike Airforce Delta Storm had a mission that sent you after a space plane mid-launch, which I considered unbeatable for a good chunk of my childhood until I realized that picking a supersonic plane would probably help :downs:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That isn't the only instance of the Russians doing that. Many of their road locomotives use an opposed piston engine design very similar to those made by Fairbanks Morse. The US loaned a number of icebreakers to Russian during WW2 which had FM diesels in them. The theory I've heard is that the Russians reverse-engineered the FM OP diesel and have used it ever since, long after FM exited the locomotive business themselves.

Russian diesels are pretty awesome anyway, mostly because they don't exactly maintain them properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZJ0ReTSLo&t=34s

The TE-10 series are really interesting locos. Each unit (the 2TE-10 is 2 units permanently coupled, the 3TE-10 is 3) have opposed-cylinder prime movers, based on the Fairbanks-Morse units installed in American warships given to the USSR in World War II. Each engine generates 3000Hp so the 3TE-10 has 9000hp on tap, not bad for the early 70's.

Opposed-cylinder engines require careful maintenance, and even when well-maintained can be a bit claggy. And of course the Russians don't bother with all that (also there are issues with Siberian locals drinking the brake fluid), resulting in this kind of awesomeness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsnrhdmR_c&t=170s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEETEOcQW90

My dad has always been more into aircraft than trains, but I showed him that last video and he agreed that "that's a loving amazing train and I want one".

EDIT - had to add this one. Keep your eye on the driver - I'm not sure it's even legal to enjoy your job this much....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITZAkd2wv7o

Axeman Jim fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
An interesting article about an abandoned English railroad and decaying town in... Brazil
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4222838/The-abandoned-British-train-station-Brazilian-jungle.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Well that is a very disorienting article to try to read. It keeps repeating itself in the image captions and body text, what the hell.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Raluek posted:

Well that is a very disorienting article to try to read. It keeps repeating itself in the image captions and body text, what the hell.

Aah it's the old 'we don't know anything about this so just rewrite the agency copy' classic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I told one of my regulars who's worked on semis about GM's brilliant idea to squeeze 500 more HP out of the 645 by upping the RPM by 50. His immediate response? "Oooo, that had to be a decision someone in an office made."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Raluek posted:

first time you've read a daily mail article??