Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Loomer posted:

Unfortunately, no, not a lot other than the OTO and Golden Dawn history there, with the attendant Masonic and theosophist bodies. The last temple of the true blue Golden Lawn lines was Whare Ra over your side. The Maori of course have an interesting esoteric culture of their own, and there's the recurringand probably fictional archaeological finds of giants. Leadbeaters rather grand theory of the next step in human development is meant to be shared between both countries, too.

NZ is still, to my infinite displeasure as an Aussie, home to the most viable and lawful Golden Dawn lodge lineage anywhere. I haven't got a copy myself but Ellwoods Islands of the Dawn is a good place to start, along with any suitable resource on Maori magical practices and customs.

That's already way more than I knew, and the local library has a copy of Ellwood's book, so I'll go and take a look at that. Thanks very much :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man attempts to explain oWerewolf to reporter, sounds exactly as insane as you expected him to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Here's a Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview with Ericsson and some early Werewolf concept art, some of which is certainly a thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Here's a Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview with Ericsson and some early Werewolf concept art, some of which is certainly a thing.

quote:

So now there is this very tense situation within the Garou nation, where the Glass Walkers say humans still have a shot and that they can use technology to get out of the situation. “Look at Elon Musk,” they’d say, though maybe he is a Glass Walker.
No. Stop. Stop now.

quote:

The Black Furies are a matriarchal clan who don’t want to help the humans until they sort out their gender rights,
loving stop

quote:

The Get of Fenris who just laugh at all of those social aims and say it’s about survival of the fittest, and they should go into all-out war to see if humans can survive.
Jesus Christ, books were published after 1993 guys. They exist. They answered most of these questions.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How reddit sees women .jpg

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
At this point I'm pretty sure One WoD is just going to end up being Martin Ericsson making his fanfiction canon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, to be fair, at this point most World of Darkness material is fanfiction. Some of it is just a lot better than others.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Probably. I'll just be rocking back and forth in the corner until it's over.

Honestly, it's just disheartening to see the direction things seem to be moving in, especially after sinking so much time, love, and effort into the setting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Further proof that 2016-17 is a fractal whose pattern repeats at every level of magnification.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm catman.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Also, just to point out:

Martin Ericsson posted:

We’re doing other projects too though. Two mobile games called Preludes, which take people from mortal to vampire, or from sleeper to awakened. The first is a Vampire game, which has two freshly made vampires in LA chatting over a messenger app, trying to work out what’s going on. It’s very contemporary and it’s about class in the US. The other is a Mage: The Ascension game set during the War for Reality, at the backdrop of the refugee crisis of 2015, looking into perceptions of people. Are they a threat or are they neighbours we don’t know yet?

Of course our thing is RELEVANT and CONTEMPORARY, we put ISSUES in.

also the answer to the latter is no, they are not a threat, why is that being treated like a question

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

also the answer to the latter is no, they are not a threat, why is that being treated like a question

Europe. Not that America has a good track record with refugees or Islamophobia, but after what he said about the Romani I'm not holding my breath for a sensitive treatment of any minority topics.

Do you think Paradox has realized Ericsson took them on a ride with the White Wolf deal and is just farming it out to whoever now? Because everything so far sounds like shovelware. Like, maybe there's a serious RPG in development that hasn't been announced yet, but why lead off with this?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Because somewhere, in a message board long past, I must've said a mean thing to Dracula_99 and this is his revenge on me personally.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can't wait until the earth is a blasted husk and the embers of civilization are slowly dying out so that maybe then people will quit giving a poo poo about Elon Musk.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Man, of all the ideas to put a loving prelude to a vampire game in, a mobile game where you chat over the phone is the loving lamest and stupidest thing. You could do an entire real game off of a prelude alone. Especially if you tied Hunter into it. And it's never been done before too! Hell, with the right amount of decent story-telling elements and tying into a vampire video game you could have another VTM Bloodlines cult classic of a Vampire and prelude game on your hands.

But no, you get to feel like an awkward douche nozzle while playing a mobile chat game and typing up a bunch of messages that are probably going to be boiled down to "WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?" while on the train on the way to work. No real game play or true character interaction whatsoever. Which is where VTM and VTR actually shine.

Someone fire whoever is coming up with these game ideas and give us a real VTM/VTR game, please.

Edit: Hell, just give us that VTM MMO and actually support it up to and past release and i'll consider it a fair trade for all this crap.

Edit 2: Oh my loving god. I just read through the rest of that article. It gets worse. He considers Warhammer Online and SWTOR as being content heavy at release, and that being why it was too much work to continue on the VTM MMO.

IE: Two games that were lambasted for their lack of real content that everyone competent in the industry considered as heavily under-delivering in that aspect despite promising the moon. One of which was shut down due to the issues it had on that front, in fact. The other of which had to spend years basically expanding on their content to get to a state where it retained a decent number of subs on average. Both of which were over-hyped about the amount of content they had and were hamstrung by bloated development leads (Like Ericsson!) on their teams.

On the one in a million chance that anyone at Paradox reads this: Fire. This. Dumb. Edgy. Motherfucker. Nothing good can come of keeping whoever is thinking up those ideas around.

That poo poo he's on about is literally what has killed game development companies in the past. Heck, some of what i'm reading is literally the same sort of trendy bullshit I saw out of the TOR and Warhammer Online dev team's dev leads, in fact. He's nailing that whole "dumb rear end game development exec that knows nothing about the industry and coasts by on trendy buzzwords and topical bullshit until he kills the company and some other company picks him up thinking he'd be a great hire due to his prior experience" thing down hard.

All we need now is an EA Louse style leaker account to reveal that the developer leads for these projects are retaining their position by fomenting discord and competition in the company to ensure that no one boots them out for fear of the chaos it'd cause and the circle would be complete.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 11, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paradox seems to be putting the exact opposite amount of money into the White Wolf games than TOR or WHO, though. And hopefully nobody is stupid enough to try and start development on an MMO in this decade.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kavak posted:

Paradox seems to be putting the exact opposite amount of money into the White Wolf games than TOR or WHO, though. And hopefully nobody is stupid enough to try and start development on an MMO in this decade.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with making MMO's. Done right they offer content that's way different from anything else on the market. Done wrong you get another WoW knock-off that the company crows is totally going to be the one to take WoW off the table only to bomb horribly because innovation trumps imitation as far as MMO's and retained subs go.

The big problem with MMO's is that the genre is positively infested with bad developers that have basically coasted by on the same generic bullshit and trendy corporate promises both internally and externally for almost a decade or more. Which has caused it to stagnate where it should have been growing and evolving.

We're seeing a lot of the same crap pop up with MOBA games, and previously with mobile games (something Ericsson is taking with the same faux gravitas) too. Where people who were more interested in either making a quick buck or just making GBS threads out a game with the least amount of effort possible basically zerg rush the genre and crush out any real hope of something new being done there until the bubble bursts and they find some other idea to systematically run into the ground.

SWTOR and Warhammer Online are perfect examples of this, and the fact that he doesn't understand that is literally a spot on example of why he probably has no practical experience working in that industry and genre and should be barred from a game development position until he at least takes a course at a community college or something that teaches him how to plan out and manage projects like that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 11, 2017

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
All I ever wanted was a good Mage: the Awakening game :(

Archonex posted:

On the one in a million chance that anyone at Paradox reads this: Fire. This. Dumb. Edgy. Motherfucker.

If you're serious about getting someone at Pdox to read or listen to any of this, at least one Paradox dev posts in the Crusader Kings II thread in the main Games forum.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paradox Development Studios. Think Bethesda versus Zenimax.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

The Sin of Onan posted:

All I ever wanted was a good Mage: the Awakening game :(

If you're serious about getting someone at Pdox to read or listen to any of this, at least one Paradox dev posts in the Crusader Kings II thread in the main Games forum.

You mean do I think that some rando exec in Paradox is going to hear me when I explain why they should fire one of their major employees? Or at least side-line him in favor of someone that knows what they're doing? Yeah, uh, no. I kind of doubt they'd listen even if they actually did peruse their forums.

Funnily enough, there were lots of people inside and outside the industry on both the user, dev, and journalistic end saying the same things about other famous flops like WHO, SWTOR, and even far earlier ones like AoC. The companies in question never listen due to a variety of factors (Sunk cost fallacy can be an awful thing where money is involved, for instance. And firing one of the people in charge of a large project like that looks a lot like scrapping the whole thing and starting over to some people.) up until they've released a steaming pile of crap and the terrible lead devs in question take their paychecks and run for the horizon towards the next company stupid enough to take them in.

I mean, if nothing else then given the flaming i'd receive from posting on the official forums about this stuff i'd be better off pissing into the wind. At least that way i'd be able to hydrate myself while ranting on my soapbox.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 11, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I just think he's massively missing what made White Wolf games appealing. It wasn't relevancy or issues, it was getting to be a rad monster. The "issues" were always kind of paper-thin nonsense in most White Wolf games, though, and were never really their strength.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

OPP could print nothing but Beast sourcebooks from now until the end of time and I'd still take them over this owod chucklefuck

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just think he's massively missing what made White Wolf games appealing. It wasn't relevancy or issues, it was getting to be a rad monster. The "issues" were always kind of paper-thin nonsense in most White Wolf games, though, and were never really their strength.

Yeah, there's that too. Even setting aside the colossal warning signs he's throwing up he's missing a lot of what makes these settings awesome to play around in.

Bloodlines got this. It nailed that sweet spot between VTM's over the top insanity of being some ravening blood hungry monster and VTR's more realistic "Being a vampire sucks." take on it. From what i've heard of these game ideas so far i'm not really getting that they're taking that sort of approach to it all. Though maybe they're holding something back?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 11, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, to be fair, at this point most World of Darkness material is fanfiction. Some of it is just a lot better than others.

I guess the difference right now is that Swedish Dracula appears to have a much greater editorial authority than anyone since Mark Rein-Hagen, who created the oWOD, and appears to be departing from the original, the revised and even the V20 vision of the games to make them his own thing. I don't know if it is just his narcisism that makes him speak like every idea is his or an effect of WW using him as their spokes-person or if he really has a hand in every pie, but the title Lead Storyteller makes me inclined to believe the latter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ZearothK posted:

I guess the difference right now is that Swedish Dracula appears to have a much greater editorial authority than anyone since Mark Rein-Hagen, who created the oWOD, and appears to be departing from the original, the revised and even the V20 vision of the games to make them his own thing. I don't know if it is just his narcisism that makes him speak like every idea is his or an effect of WW using him as their spokes-person or if he really has a hand in every pie, but the title Lead Storyteller makes me inclined to believe the latter.

Yeah, I dunno. The proof will be in the product and we're way early, but how he talks about the games somehow being grounded in real world issues just seems laughable to me. I mean, you could see Vampire: the Masquerade as a game about class inequality, but it strikes me as more of an ex post facto interpretation than anything Rein•Hagen intended.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean, you could see Vampire: the Masquerade as a game about class inequality, but it strikes me as more of an ex post facto interpretation than anything Rein•Hagen intended.

Who wants to bet that he prefers playing as an Anarch? :v:

But yeah, I can't really entirely fault him for that. Vampires have long since been a metaphor for inequality and the negative connotations of aristocracy. That's more of a VTR thing than VTM thing at this point though.

Which is weird. Even the Camarilla is more about climbing the ranks of power and staking out a spot for yourself than the inequalities inherent within it. And I don't think you could go up to a member of the Sabbat in the setting and talk to him about class related issues and not expect to get murdered or turned into a shovelhead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So are the Nosferatu and Brujah the poor leeching money off society, or are the Ventrue and Toreador the rich and educated leeching money off other people?

what if the truth is both ooooooooo makes u think

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In the new Vampire core book, Caine's first child will be called "Global Capitalism".

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

In the new Vampire core book, Caine's first child will be called "Goldman Sachs".

quote:

a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

So are the Nosferatu and Brujah the poor leeching money off society, or are the Ventrue and Toreador the rich and educated leeching money off other people?

what if the truth is both ooooooooo makes u think
Are the Gangrel bestial savages existing on the fringes of what we consider civilization, or noble and earthy, more in tune with nature than we cityfolk?

Find out, next time on: Scandinavian Race Science Hour

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Asmodee is putting out the apps and I saw the icons for them a week or so ago in one of their email newsletters. I couldn't find anything about them, not even a coming soon page, and it was even more puzzling because there was a mage icon.

MMO's are kind of dumb but Werewolf would make the best MMO out of any of the properties. They're the only splat that has enemy monster mooks that you fight regularly and having the umbra opens the game to more than generic cityscape.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing that gets me is that they say that they're still working out the specifics of what werewolf is going to be, but that it's almost definitely going to be a squad based RPG.

But they're not tapping loving obsidian to make it, you know, the guys who have so far made two fantastic squad based RPGs under Paradox's umbrella? For that matter, a genre like W:TA is crying out for a game like God of War(Don't mention sonic unleashed I will cut you) or Darksiders, something where you can have a strong storyline but also have a more visceral brand of violence that the player is directly controlling.

Also, the suggested "Plot decision" they gave sounds dumb as hell "Some loggers are cutting down the rainforest, do you kill them? Or do you realize that they are only a cog in the machine and let them live." Does the second option have a section where you actually deal with the systemic issue present in their corporate culture or is it "Kick Puppy or Non Standard Game Over"?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do I engage in gameplay, or do I sit back and do nothing, smug in the knowledge that I have not lowered The Discourse?

that's basically what i imagine every choice will be

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Are the Gangrel bestial savages existing on the fringes of what we consider civilization, or noble and earthy, more in tune with nature than we cityfolk?

Find out, next time on: Scandinavian Race Science Hour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statens_institut_f%C3%B6r_rasbiologi

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Also, the suggested "Plot decision" they gave sounds dumb as hell "Some loggers are cutting down the rainforest, do you kill them? Or do you realize that they are only a cog in the machine and let them live." Does the second option have a section where you actually deal with the systemic issue present in their corporate culture or is it "Kick Puppy or Non Standard Game Over"?

To be honest, killing a board room of literal and metaphorical monsters is the standard Apocalypse endgame.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

1992: I wear social stigma like a crown of poo poo. “Masquerade,” the green marble book whispers. I embrace the Eldritch leather chrysalis. Suddenly sex, drugs and rock’n roleplaying is more than just a play on words. I breathe free.

1995: The Umeå bomb-squad descends on Elysium, robotic camera spots Anarch frebomb. Moral panic ensues. They call us “The Army of The Abandoned” and I see how powerful we are. “This game will change the world!”

2011: Looking in the mirror, I understand. The Masquerade didn’t change the world. It changed us.

Martin Elricsson (Stockholm, Sweden)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

The thing that gets me is that they say that they're still working out the specifics of what werewolf is going to be, but that it's almost definitely going to be a squad based RPG.

But they're not tapping loving obsidian to make it, you know, the guys who have so far made two fantastic squad based RPGs under Paradox's umbrella? For that matter, a genre like W:TA is crying out for a game like God of War(Don't mention sonic unleashed I will cut you) or Darksiders, something where you can have a strong storyline but also have a more visceral brand of violence that the player is directly controlling.

Obsidian took one look at the loremaster they'd have to work with and said "We're gonna go make Pillars 2, bye."

I think there have been more tweets about Kaiserreich (Fan mod I work on) from Paradox Interactive than White Wolf. We're probably going to get more attention at Pdoxcon too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

White Wolf is very clearly a hobby pickup for Paradox, yes. It is incapable of hurting them even if it goes badly because it's not actually important to them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If nothing else that Project Dogma MMO is literally doing what CCP and White Wolf were going to do. Only they're using crowd funding and actually have a semi-playable early alpha out that people can buy into. So long as that doesn't go tits up at least we'll get some sort of game that's tangentially WoD related.

That MMO is literally VTM/VTR with the name and ID filed off. Heck, i'm fairly certain that the original reason the devs started developing it was because they were fed up with the bullshit CCP and WW were putting the community through in regards to their game development plans.

It's kind of embarrassing that a bunch of crowdfunded enthusiasts can get further at developing a MMO than CCP and some WW folks could though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It amuses me that a year and a half ago we were praying that paradox would swoop in and save OPP from themselves Re: Beast, and now we're basically hoping that old grandpa Swedracula stays in the basement with his toys and leaves the Chronicles of Darkness alone.