Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

all i got is this like 15 year old memory to go on and maybe i just dreamed it up or some poo poo

That would be Walter Payton, in a Trans-Am in practice at Road America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Also Dixon sporting his KKK attire

This is the first time since 2002 that he has been in an Indycar without Target on it in some capacity, goddamn.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Mikhail Aleshin pretty much just blamed Obama for the hold up in his SMP Racing offseason sponsorship issues

well yeah, his ride is literally funded by the shell bank that putin and his best budz use to embezzle and launder funds. it was explicitly targeted by the sanctions after putin annexed crimea, and its still used by them to channel funds to the *cough cough* "Ukrainian rebels" putin is paying.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished '98. Another great season, even if Zanardi curbstomped everyone. Yes I realize testing is on, sorry for derailing.

Things;

- Ganassi-Honda and Zanardi were pretty much perfect. Vasser should get some credit too, he was very consistent and reliable.
- Ford was arguaby the most powerful if not the most driveable, Mercedes falling back, Toyota made huge strides.
- Reynard obviously still the best, Swift Good, Penske's PC27 very mediocre (and ended Ribiero's career in the process), Lola reduced to 1 car with mediocre German at the helm. Hard to say how good it was. Gurney bets farm on the 9x7-series chassis. Should have stuck with Reynards in Hindsight.
- The awakening of Kool-Green and Franchitti. Penske sliding into the midfield or worse, Pacwest nowhere all year.
- Rookie Kanaan and baby Helio :kiddo:
- Goodyear blows (sometimes literally) and the Melancholy of Al Unser Jr.
- Goodbye Bobby.Herta very impressive.
- Paul Tracy somehow not being fired for shoving and arguing with your boss after crashing into your teammate while running 1-2.
- Houston Street Circuit :lol:
- 30 cars at a non Indy race! (Motegi)
- Long Beach. This race is amazing.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 11, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There ya go Viking

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138133-usac-silver-crown-added-to-phoenix-indycar-weekend

quote:

Phoenix Raceway President Bryan Sperber announced today that the USAC Silver Crown Series will return to one of its most famous tracks in the Phoenix Copper Cup on Saturday, April 29. The series will bring their Quarter Midget division for a full day of racing action ahead of the Verizon IndyCar Series Phoenix Grand Prix held under the lights.
"We're thrilled to add the USAC Silver Crown series to our Verizon IndyCar weekend," said Sperber. "The series has a tremendous history here and has produced some incredible races. I'm certain this race will be a popular addition to the Phoenix Grand Prix schedule."
Some of Phoenix Raceway's most legendary drivers got their start in the USAC Silver Crown Series, including A.J. Foyt, Verizon IndyCar Series team owner and winner of the first-ever race held at Phoenix Raceway in 1964, current NASCAR team owner and three-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Champion Tony Stewart, and four-time NASCAR Cup Champion Jeff Gordon.
USAC last raced on the one-mile oval in 2009 with current NASCAR driver Cole Whitt winning the Silver Crown Series. The highlight of the season for many USAC fans, the series would generally hold their season opener at Phoenix Raceway with one event drawing over 31,000 fans.
"The history of Silver Crown and Champ Car racing at Phoenix Raceway means a tremendous amount to the United States Auto Club," USAC Series Director Levi Jones said. "We are extremely excited to be back and we're looking forward to an incredible event."
The USAC Quarter Midget division will also race at Phoenix Raceway on the Fan Midway. Among the former Quarter Midget stars that raced at Phoenix and made their name in motorsports include Tucson, Ariz., native Alex Bowman and 2015 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Champion Chris Eggleston.
Both the USAC Silver Crown Series and the Quarter Midget races will compete ahead of the Verizon IndyCar Series Phoenix Grand Prix.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Shiiiit. Looks like I'm going to have to find a way out to Phoenix within the next few years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That Houston circuit was so loving bad

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Fastest in the evening practice session is :staredog: Marco Andretti

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

PIR race day is looking pretty fun now.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

:siren: VISOR CAM :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1JY_UjEkl0

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hell yes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wish they could have done something with the microphone, but my god the quality of that video.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

race cars fukken rule

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody have a steering wheel diagram or know what he's fiddling with at the start of the clip?

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

He also co-owned Dale Coyne Racing from its founding until his death.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wicka posted:

Anybody have a steering wheel diagram or know what he's fiddling with at the start of the clip?

Engine mapping, I think? The buttons he kept using through the run were probably swaybar or weight jacker.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Fuckin' tasty. Love the 1080p60.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yeah that visor cam is pretty sweet. Graham did set the 2nd fastest overall lap and fastest no-tow lap in last night's session.

Today they have Helio doing the official groundbreaking on the $178mil upgrade project here. Helio will be doing it in an excavator so I'll be sure to bring my camera to that madness...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is entirely my poo poo. :shlick:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Helio just got done channeling his inner AJ

Edit: Hard crash for Rossi exiting Turn 1 going into 2

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 11, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rossi into the wall

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/jdepouw/status/830514204683677696

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

phoenix almost looks like a place for humans to live right now with the hills all green and such

(it is not)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

BMB5150 posted:

Random quote from Smokey Yunick about Jim Rathmann,

"And I never liked men who read comic books while they were getting a blow job."

Smokey is quite quotable.

Smokey has a chapter in his book about the 51 drivers who drove for him.

It's titled "50 great drivers and 1 rear end in a top hat"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

now Rahal in the wall. maybe dont crash in an open practice day that doesnt mean anything, just my advice 2 them

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

now Rahal in the wall. maybe dont crash in an open practice day that doesnt mean anything, just my advice 2 them

There's only 1 cameraman here covering the whole track, and he didn't catch Rahal losing it on the exit of T2. Fortunately someone up in the stands caught it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZLbyLgT_U/

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Aleshin should stay in the black decal-less liveries. It looks like the most :devil: thing in racing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I've seen it pointed out in a few other places quite a bit now, but all of these spins/crashes are happening coming into what would be the new start/finish line. That would make for an interesting photo finish.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Taku is the 3rd victim of Turn 2 today

And Newgarden nearly took out Bourdais, that's what happens when you try to pass someone around here...

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

now add JR to the list of victims today. quite the repair bill for this test.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

now add JR to the list of victims today. quite the repair bill for this test.

It's all my fault for asking him to remove his hat so I could see his mullet

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sato

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/830611847753654274

Bourdais/Newgarden

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/830622240588832769

JR

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/830624884665495552

heres Rossi, def a mechanical failure of sometime (engine or gearbox seize?)
https://twitter.com/indy44/status/830509007123075072

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 12, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Best part of the weekend

That loving hair is amazing even if I had to potentially burn a bridge to get the shot

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, he doesn't seem too pleased to see you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Helio just got done channeling his inner AJ

Edit: Hard crash for Rossi exiting Turn 1 going into 2

That's not on brand, Helio.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

That's not on brand, Helio.

He said Phoenix was his first oval ever back in '96.

Was Lights and CART still testing at that place in spite of the split?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hello sponsored by Hitachi (including their heavy power equipment) while standing on a CAT.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Minto Took posted:

Yeah, he doesn't seem too pleased to see you.

Its "the look"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hitachi makes good stuff. I have one of their TV's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Most likely. There was no shortage of testing at Firebird in those days too.

• Locked thread