Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Retromancer posted:

The point of the cartoon is that the judges are giving due process to non-us citizens, who are not protected under the constitution. It's the lovely argument used to justify the ban.

Yes they loving are you moron! "No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Not "no citizen" or "no American". "No person". NO. PERSON. IT'S TWO loving WORDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Don't forget Trumpists literally rewriting the Constitution in their own minds so that instead of persons it says citizens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pants Donkey posted:

I get the theme is "haha not true Obozo" but some of this stuff is true. You can't deny that Iran failed to go nuclear or especially that Obama was the one to get Osama. Unless Eden is some kind of idiot who thinks Obama meant he personally killed Osama in an honor duel.

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... it's NOT intended to be taken at face value? :psyduck:

Please save this one for the most easily misinterpreted cartoon of the year award.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

As AGC as it gets.

....nevermind :psypop:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Keiya posted:

Yes they loving are you moron! "No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Not "no citizen" or "no American". "No person". NO. PERSON. IT'S TWO loving WORDS.

You think republicans consider non-citizens to be people?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Keiya posted:

The Constitution also starts "We, the People", though. There's a logical case to be made for the drafters to be talking only about the citizens of the United States when they refer to people or a person, because they had no right to refer to anyone else. This goes double when most of your nation only exists because a whole heap of non-citizens were deprived of their lives, liberty and property.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Well, it's like the saying goes, "those who do not study history are doomed to prove themselves delusional dumbfucks who have no idea what they're talking about and need to shut the gently caress up forever." Or something like that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

The Constitution also starts "We, the People", though. There's a logical case to be made for the drafters to be talking only about the citizens of the United States when they refer to people or a person, because they had no right to refer to anyone else. This goes double when most of your nation only exists because a whole heap of non-citizens were deprived of their lives, liberty and property.

That's a very flimsy argument, especially since the 14th Amendment actually does use the word "citizen" in its text, before switching to "person" later. That change would be deliberate; otherwise they'd have kept using "citizen". Also, the amendment is limiting what the government can do; it's not governing non-citizens, it's telling the government they can't unjustly gently caress with people, regardless of who they are.

Edit: Also, the 14th Amendment wasn't drafted with the rest of the Constitution, it came later. So your argument about the drafters is doubly-flawed.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 11, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Angepain posted:

You think republicans consider non-citizens whites to be people?

There we go

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Jedit posted:

The Constitution also starts "We, the People", though. There's a logical case to be made for the drafters to be talking only about the citizens of the United States when they refer to people or a person, because they had no right to refer to anyone else.

"We the people of the United States"

If the drafters only meant citizens of the USA when using the word people (or person), why add "of the United States"? Either the people who drafted the Constitution are bad at logic and writing, or they intended for people to be a more broad category within which citizens and inhabitants of the United States are subsets.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Internet Kraken posted:

Trump is the literal embodiment of everything Latuff hates about the US. You'd think his caricature of him would be more hateful.

I don't think it registers to him as anything but more of the same. For most of us, the past few weeks have been somewhere between nightmarish and downright traumatic, but for Carlos Latuff, it was February.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Angepain posted:

Hey maybe I just filter it out but you know what we haven't seen much of lately? Thread favourite master of subtlety Carlos Latuff!

Apparently he's too loving subtle for you. "An American grenade blowing up the Al-Aqsa a Jerusalem mosque" is very hard to parse correctly.

Edit - yes, I did in fact open the tab several hours before replying. :/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Ah but see, if you go by a strict originalist interpretation of what the Founding Fathers really intended, then the Constitution gets to say that America is to become a fascist monarchy when Republicans are in power. It's written here plain as day. --The ghost of Antonin Scalia

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Office Pig posted:

But enough about Steve Bannon...

Wait are you saying someone married that walking dung fly?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Ularg posted:

Wait are you saying someone married that walking dung fly?

There is always more and it is always worse.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tobermory posted:

There is always more and it is always worse.

I hate this world so God-damned much.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Seriously?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Hunt and the NHS – Jeremy Hunt said that performance in some parts of the NHS is “completely unacceptable”, adding there is “no excuse” for some of the problems being seen in the health service"

Telegraph:

Donald Trump loses court battle to reinstate travel ban

Times:

After Hockney.

Stephen Collins:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Context posted:

Macy's facing pressure to drop Ivanka Trump line

Context posted:

Boy Scouts will allow transgender children into programs

Context posted:

Warren barred from speaking on Senate floor for rest of Sessions debate

context posted:

Celebrities weigh in on Betsy DeVos confirmation: 'This is murdering' our school system

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

As AGC as it gets.

Gonna quote this again because just go ahead and shut down the AGC Gayby category. This is the literal definition of unbelievable, I cannot physically believe this cartoon exists.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I 100% believe Lester supports the Holocaust and wants another one, focused entirely on LGBTQ people and all non-whites.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I like this one.

Would have been better though if the US symbol-bird had been the Turkey.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

school food - famous for being good before michelle obama got her hands on it

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

As AGC as it gets.

Thankfully, we know Lester supports the Constitution as the bedrock of our democracy, so clearly the cartoon is in support of the court's decision and not some hacky partisan hypocrisy!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pancho Jueves posted:

Thankfully, we know Lester supports the Constitution as the bedrock of our democracy, so clearly the cartoon is in support of the court's decision and not some hacky partisan hypocrisy!

The left is hot and cool looking while the right are frigid and falling apart, AGC

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Pancho Jueves posted:

The left looks like it's constantly shifting but it's ultimately stable and easy to understand. Meanwhile the right's policies mean that it will completely destroy itself within a generation, creating horrific worldwide consequences that they won't be alive to reap the consequences for. AGC

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pancho Jueves posted:

hmmm, i'm beginning to see a running theme where lester isn't very good at political commentary

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Society is in a constant state of change, and we need to govern accordingly, instead of being rigid and inflexible. AGC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pancho Jueves posted:

For the left, the Constitution is a source of illumination, functional even if a bit tacky. For the right, it is an inhospitable, desolate hazard to navigation.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think it registers to him as anything but more of the same. For most of us, the past few weeks have been somewhere between nightmarish and downright traumatic, but for Carlos Latuff, it was FebruaryTuesday.

FTFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pancho Jueves posted:

the left wants to get high and listen to pink floyd

the right wants to watch titanic

the eye doctor is kinda nervous about how he's going to point at any words above the current line.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is bad?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pancho Jueves posted:

The left and the right both look at the constitution and realize that it's incredibly boring, and thus daydream about other more interesting things, AGC

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

school food - famous for being good before michelle obama got her hands on it

And don't forget how much money she tried to make from personally selling that food!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

Whoa, Kellyanne Conway is high as gently caress

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tritanomalicious posted:

Whoa, Kellyanne Conway is high as gently caress

That cant be her she still looks... alive-ish.

She is a lich just like Dick Cheney was

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remember that Trump is supposed to be the good guy in this cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZr4n7SiMo That's the rowdiest I've ever seen Utahns.

• Locked thread