Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if palm pilots could have done that we'd still be hearing the jokes today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
smh if you never jerked it to some low res monochrome titties

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
what about the new rose hotel film?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you stayed awake long enough to jerk it, you're a real trooper

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that's the only movie that makes you watch it twice the first time you see it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
reporting from Alberta NewRose Petroscape again! nothin is on fire, but the natural gas burnpipes are solid as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how's the browneye of sauron lookin' these days? y'all ready for another year of beijing smog from the burning hellscape this year?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Glorgnole posted:

my housemate is excited for the upcoming live-action ghost in the shell film because he is some kind of weirdo anime evangelist who wants ordinary moviegoers to get interested in watching cartoons from japan

i didnt know smoka had a roommate

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

infernal machines posted:

smh if you never jerked it to some low res monochrome titties

(.)(.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nice

nobody tell cidrick

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Powaqoatse posted:

hardware is awesome as gently caress but i dont really think its a good movie

yeah

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

infernal machines posted:

watch strange days

or maybe freejack

they're both terrible and grimy for their own reasons.

freejack is maybe the worst book adaptation, also maybe the worst movie starring Mick Jagger.

it's supposed to be based on Immortality Inc. by Robert Sheckley, which is really good proto-cyberpunk from the 50s.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

freejack was goofy as hell and i love it

anthony hopkins, emilio estevez, and mick loving jagger. seriously how and why did that happen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a trend in japan now of touring factory areas at night, they call it "industrial nightscapes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyHUxWt1j6E&t=1030s
[skip to 17:10 unless you want to watch the most awkward host pair of all time]

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not gonna lie factory areas at night are cyberpunk af and having lived in an industrial area they are cool as poo poo and a great way to get mugged

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

boiler room sets where a dj's playing in some underground bunker and all the people dancing around look like extras from zoolander

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not gonna lie I have places from that video and some in kawasaki bookmarked for awesome picture time. kawasaki also has this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2KgQOqzBc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

this is the blade runner game right?

this reminds me that i never did play Beneath a Steel Sky which i guess is cyberpunk but idk if it's good

most adventure games are pretty terrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, the 97 westwood fmv one

that poo poo blew my mind when i saw the demo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cold on a Cob posted:

this reminds me that i never did play Beneath a Steel Sky which i guess is cyberpunk but idk if it's good

its one of the best adventure games ever made.

that doesn't really matter if you don't like adventure games though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is the blade runner game right?

i'm not a fan of adventure games but the recent wadjet eye ones are real good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

speaking of industrial jp,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjVeH2Z57E

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeySJSB8e4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweevo posted:

its one of the best adventure games ever made.

that doesn't really matter if you don't like adventure games though

imo its too much pixel hunt

monkeys island 1+2 are the best.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

gemini rue is a p good cyberpunk adventure game and technobabylon looks dece

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Powaqoatse posted:

imo its too much pixel hunt

monkeys island 1+2 are the best.

i like the monkey islands, although the puzzles are a bit monkeycheese sometimes (stick a banana on a metronome to hypnotise a piano-playing money so that you can use it's frozen hand as a literal monkey wrench)

MI2 also has a literal pixel hunt puzzle towards the end.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres bad sections in monkeys 1+2 no doubt

i just could never get Beneath a steel sky to work for me. idk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ah, the ol' pittsburgh drive-thru

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

that is an absurd amount of cutting oil

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

sinister zaibatsu coca-cola

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/technology/hack-mexico-soda-tax-advocates.html

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Last summer, Dr. Simón Barquera’s phone started buzzing with a series of disturbing text messages from unknown numbers. One said his daughter had been in a serious accident. Another claimed to be from a friend whose father had died — with a link to funeral details.

Yet another message informed Dr. Barquera, the director of nutrition policy at Mexico’s National Institute of Public Health, that a Mexican news outlet had accused him of negligence, again with a link. And in more menacing messages, someone claimed to be sleeping with Dr. Barquera’s wife. That included a link to what the sender claimed was photo evidence of their affair.

That same week, Luis Manuel Encarnación, then the director at Fundación Mídete, a foundation in Mexico City that battles obesity, also started receiving strange messages with links. When he clicked, Mr. Encarnación was ominously redirected to Gayosso, Mexico’s largest funeral service.

The messages Mr. Encarnación received were identical to a series of texts sent to Alejandro Calvillo, a mild-mannered activist and founder of El Poder del Consumidor, yet another Mexico City organization that has been at the forefront of battling childhood obesity in the country.

What the men had in common was this: All were vocal proponents of Mexico’s 2014 soda tax, the first national soda tax of its kind. It is aimed at reducing consumption of sugary drinks in Mexico, where weight-related diseases kill more people every year than violent crime.

The links sent to the men were laced with an invasive form of spyware developed by NSO Group, an Israeli cyberarms dealer that sells its digital spy tools exclusively to governments and that has contracts with multiple agencies inside Mexico, according to company emails leaked to The New York Times last year.

[...]

Mexico’s Interior Ministry, which operates Cisen, the civil national security intelligence service, was listed as Hacking Team’s highest-paying client. Other clients included the Mexican Navy, federal police and attorney general’s office, as well as several Mexican states.

The leaked Hacking Team emails also revealed that the firm was increasingly facing competition from NSO Group to procure contracts with Cisen, the Mexican attorney general’s office and Sedena, an acronym for the office of Mexico’s secretary of national defense.

The health researchers did not discover their phones had been targeted with NSO spyware until August. That month, SocialTIC, a Mexican digital security nonprofit, and R3D warned its contacts to look for suspicious messages. A subsequent forensics investigation by Citizen Lab of the messages sent to Mr. Calvillo, Dr. Barquera, Mr. Encarnación and others confirmed that they were laced with NSO Group spyware.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hiring military mercs is bad pr so now they hire economic mercs.

same as it ever was

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
woot, fixed the little white flashes in the ol' av

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

tbf that's like the absolute mildest response you can expect when loving with aztechnology and their consumer brands in aztlan

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

so, a couple of acos were trying to beef on some mega-megas while running the net with low tier hand decks and they caught the back end of some grey biz. and now they expect a chummer to go all weepy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

angry_keebler posted:

so, a couple of acos were trying to beef on some mega-megas while running the net with low tier hand decks and they caught the back end of some grey biz. and now they expect a chummer to go all weepy?

• Locked thread