Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, way back when Necrons turned up first the Cadian Gate was a literal gate on the surface of the planet, which was hollow and filled with C'tan relics and poo poo. It was only with the release of the Necron minis that they started linking them and the C'tan, and even then there wasn't much to it beyond "I guess they used to have an empire or something?" until way later. Right up until they got their first full codex they were just another species of random alien that GW made a few minis for once, like the Hrud, Zoats and Ambuls etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lite_sleepr posted:

Geez how would the modern imperium react to a 30k primarch returning? Abject reverence or some hostile, cautious optimism.

Constant Inquisitorial kill-teams.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Well the pylons are gone and didn't they always act as a containment field type deal for the warp or the eye or whstever. That pylon poo poo has been in the fluff since pre-eisenhorn

I'm pretty sure FoC ends with the Eye starting to grow and what's left of Cadia being pulled into the Warp.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is it worth buying those books just fo the fluff? I wish they'd release a novel.....

Also how is the war zone Fenris series? Thinking about buying those

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't they always eventually come out with novels of game events? That Shield of Ball book that just came out was originally a series of campaign supplements.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Technowolf posted:

I'm pretty sure FoC ends with the Eye starting to grow and what's left of Cadia being pulled into the Warp.

I still am not sure what GW's angle is with the Eye growing. The whole strategic point of Cadiz is that it's one of the only stable passages out of the Eye and Abbadon needs it to attack real space. By collapsing the Cadian Gate like that, doesn't it trap his forces in the Warp? Will they need to wait until the eye swallows another planet to see combat again?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Waroduce posted:

Is it worth buying those books just fo the fluff? I wish they'd release a novel.....

Also how is the war zone Fenris series? Thinking about buying those

The first book was actually solid. Good quality by the standards of codex fluff.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im.p sure the thirteenth black crusade doesn't have any novels about it....

Am I wrong? What are they??

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I'm sure this has been mentioned already in this thread, but February is "audio month" for the Black Library, so every week they're putting audiobooks on sale: http://www.blacklibrary.com/february-audio-month.html

The first week was "The Dark King" and "The Lightning Tower" as a combo. I liked the interaction between Dorn and Curze in TDK, but the rest was pretty corny. I haven't made it very far into TLT because it's about Dorn tearing down the Imperial Palace to build a fortress and that's not exactly a gripping premise.

This week is "The Talon of Horus" by ADB, so it's a good BL writer, and I like the idea of fleshing out the Black Legion from being the boilerplate CSM legion as well as making Abby a little more interesting. You can pick it up for $15 instead of the usual $30 and have something to listen to on the train or bus.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Panama Red posted:

This week is "The Talon of Horus" by ADB, so it's a good BL writer, and I like the idea of fleshing out the Black Legion from being the boilerplate CSM legion as well as making Abby a little more interesting. You can pick it up for $15 instead of the usual $30 and have something to listen to on the train or bus.

It's a pretty good book.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, way back when Necrons turned up first the Cadian Gate was a literal gate on the surface of the planet, which was hollow and filled with C'tan relics and poo poo. It was only with the release of the Necron minis that they started linking them and the C'tan, and even then there wasn't much to it beyond "I guess they used to have an empire or something?" until way later. Right up until they got their first full codex they were just another species of random alien that GW made a few minis for once, like the Hrud, Zoats and Ambuls etc.

I haven't bothered to pay attention to the Necrons. I heard they had a major overhaul, which probably would make them better as an army to play but I really liked them as an unknowable super powerful gimmick thing. There are forces beyond our understanding and sometimes they curbstomp you. But they are also like the 2nd edition Tyranids (the army I chose) where there is basically one "right" way to play them as well as some side gimmicks to beat the one "right" way but that method horrifically fails unless the opponent has specialized themselves to beat the actual way the army is supposed to be played. It can give some sweet crushing victories but also some hilarious failures where the other player feels like an absolute GOD. The original WD ~4 unit Necron army was great at that. That's also how they were in the fluff. Mysterious, unknowable, curbstomping but, smart people find a way to beat them. It's fun.

The more modern ones seem all . . . normal and poo poo. Like, what's their arc? Eldar but more grimdark?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Im.p sure the thirteenth black crusade doesn't have any novels about it....

Am I wrong? What are they??

There's one, Cain's Last Stand takes place during the old 13th Black Crusade.
After that there is the background book they released in 2004 but it's not so much a novel.

Other than that the closest I've got is a "mini novel" that came with a White Dwarf around that time but that just has excerpts from Storm of Iron, Shadow Point and Daemon World.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shbobdb posted:

I haven't bothered to pay attention to the Necrons. I heard they had a major overhaul, which probably would make them better as an army to play but I really liked them as an unknowable super powerful gimmick thing. There are forces beyond our understanding and sometimes they curbstomp you. But they are also like the 2nd edition Tyranids (the army I chose) where there is basically one "right" way to play them as well as some side gimmicks to beat the one "right" way but that method horrifically fails unless the opponent has specialized themselves to beat the actual way the army is supposed to be played. It can give some sweet crushing victories but also some hilarious failures where the other player feels like an absolute GOD. The original WD ~4 unit Necron army was great at that. That's also how they were in the fluff. Mysterious, unknowable, curbstomping but, smart people find a way to beat them. It's fun.

The more modern ones seem all . . . normal and poo poo. Like, what's their arc? Eldar but more grimdark?

They went into hibernation to survive the aftermath of The War in Heaven and overslept by sixty-million years or so. Now they are waking up and they are not happy with the squatters they are finding in their galaxy.

There are tomb worlds much like the original fluff, where something has gone wrong and either the nobility didn't wake up or the tomb world's AI has gone off the rails, resulting in classic Necron warriors appearing here and there doing something seemingly at random and vanishing. By and large though, think of the ruling (self-aware) Necron aristocracy as arch villains, with a touch of the cosmic horror to them, who happen to also be robots with varying degrees of Alzheimers.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 11, 2017

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hasn't the most updated Necron codex made them a race that can be negotiated with? They're no longer the mindless space zombies they used to be.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

lite_sleepr posted:

Hasn't the most updated Necron codex made them a race that can be negotiated with? They're no longer the mindless space zombies they used to be.

The average Warrior is still a mindless space zombie, the lords have more personality.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Like Joe Stalin touched on, it largely depends on the tomb world you're dealing with. There's definitely mindless zombie like Necron out there. It all depends on how their slumber and awakening has effected their various rulers.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the best pieces of the recent Necron fluff is how one planet gets attacked at regular intervals by the same regenerated Necrons, so much so that they use the annual attacks as training for the defense force.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And then you have Necrons like Trazyn the Infinite, who's casual friends with Inquisitors and claims to have been bros with a few primarchs - his tomb world woke up early in the Great Crusade.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Trazyn is the best character GW have introduced in at least a decade.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Trayzn showing up in Fall of Cadia was incredible, seriously hope he shows up later in the Gathering Storm stuff.

Has anyone given that new Fabious Bile book a go? My store's not due for a restock of Red Tithe for another week and I need something to chew through in the meantime. Heard it's got some pretty neat interaction between him and his human sidekicks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So for you guys who don't know, me and The Sex Cannon have ourselves a Warhams podcast called The 40k Badcast. In this episode, we have an extended segment talking about 15 Hours, a pretty fuckin' good Imperial Guard book. Go give it a listen here:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/11/40k-badcast-04-the-40k-baaaaaaaaaadcast-the-worlds-foremost-scifi-sheep-podcast/

We're also running the Fanfiction Challenge, where you can send us your bad fanfic featuring Biff Tundrish, and we'll read our favorites on the show! PM either of us or email as at Contact@40kbadcast.com with your submissions.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

SRM posted:

So for you guys who don't know, me and The Sex Cannon have ourselves a Warhams podcast called The 40k Badcast. In this episode, we have an extended segment talking about 15 Hours, a pretty fuckin' good Imperial Guard book. Go give it a listen here:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/02/11/40k-badcast-04-the-40k-baaaaaaaaaadcast-the-worlds-foremost-scifi-sheep-podcast/

We're also running the Fanfiction Challenge, where you can send us your bad fanfic featuring Biff Tundrish, and we'll read our favorites on the show! PM either of us or email as at Contact@40kbadcast.com with your submissions.

sir have you read the goon asoif and ham crossover

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Waroduce posted:

He said bad fanfic. That goon fanfic is the only ending ASOIAF is ever going to get.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Has anyone given that new Fabious Bile book a go? My store's not due for a restock of Red Tithe for another week and I need something to chew through in the meantime. Heard it's got some pretty neat interaction between him and his human sidekicks.

I read it. It's pretty good. Some interesting characters, and pretty much everyone is a Slannesh follower so it's a race to see who can backstab the other most effectivley.

Definitely read Red Tithe when it's in however, it is the best 40k book I've read for ages.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've been MIA from BL stuff for a while. In the last six months or so, what decent books have they dropped in store?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've been MIA from BL stuff for a while. In the last six months or so, what decent books have they dropped in store?

I loved Master of Mankind. It's a bit divisive but ADB has been nothing but hits for me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Waroduce posted:

I haven't. Help a brother out?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Trazyn is the best character GW have introduced in at least a decade.

Honestly, outside of novels he's the best character 40k has ever had.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Waroduce posted:

Where? I NEED to read this!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here you go my brother and sister goons.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxusercontent.com%2Fu%2F39789887%2Fasoiaf-40k.doc&embedded=true

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Bless u my child

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

its good and cool and Im in it :hehe:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Deptfordx posted:

I read it. It's pretty good. Some interesting characters, and pretty much everyone is a Slannesh follower so it's a race to see who can backstab the other most effectivley.

Definitely read Red Tithe when it's in however, it is the best 40k book I've read for ages.

Is this the limited edition that's like 60 bucks on BL? I really want to get it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There was a super interesting interview with Laurie Goulding, the commissions editor for BL that I read:
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017/02/11/black-library-there-and-back-again-with-laurie-goulding/

It goes over how BL was doing a few years ago, then some big departmental shakeups that hosed everything up and led to a bunch of mediocre tie-in novels, then back to a focus on putting out good books after unfucking their structure. It's a good read.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That was a good read

I'd not really noticed the fact only one HH got released in 2015, as it was a crazy busy year for me and I'd let a few build up unread, but looking back I do remember how far behind I was all of sudden last year after I came back from reading the Beast Arises. Not surprising if they released 9 to catch up

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pubic works project posted:

Is this the limited edition that's like 60 bucks on BL? I really want to get it.

Not sure which you meant, but both are immediately available as Epubs which is how I read them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Deptfordx posted:

Not sure which you meant, but both are immediately available as Epubs which is how I read them.

This thing:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/fabius-bile-ltd.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I'd hold off until after 8th ed releases. You don't want to spend top dollar on these rulebooks just to find out they are selling for 50% of their original price when the new edition comes out, a la the "End Times" series. The fluff is alright, but nothing spectacular or worth paying $30+ for.

There are (surprisingly) no novels relating to the new Black Crusade, and I suspect this is due to GW wanting to wait until the full ramifications are felt once the three-book supplement is out and 8th rolls in. I think the 13th BC is going to heavily influence the 8th ed storyline, so we should see more fiction in a few months.

SRM posted:

There was a super interesting interview with Laurie Goulding, the commissions editor for BL that I read:
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017/02/11/black-library-there-and-back-again-with-laurie-goulding/

It goes over how BL was doing a few years ago, then some big departmental shakeups that hosed everything up and led to a bunch of mediocre tie-in novels, then back to a focus on putting out good books after unfucking their structure. It's a good read.
Holy smokes, what a clusterfuck. This is what happens when beancounters run the company - profits are everything, and quality goes right down the shitter.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

This is good stuff...