Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so was every legacy and vintage card, which is to say reprint necropotence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait lol, i forgot the conspiracy sets existed, i guess thats not true

still, reprint necropotence

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yeah, even with thoughtsieze around black was an order of magnitude less dominant than Coco or Emrakul ended up being.

I don't understand why wizards thinks standard can't have modern cards. Literally every modern card was in standard once.

Yes, but how many cards printed in the last few years of Standard have made an impact on eternal formats? A few of them have been the cards that Wizards didn't realize would be good, or that people were sick of by the time they rotated out (Rhino and CoCo to name a couple). I thought there was a Google spreadsheet being passed around where someone was tracking this, I remember BNG or JOU being on the same level as loving Prophecy wrt eternal playables.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 11, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I can't wait till we go back to Innistrad next year and Emracool, Off The Chain is spoiled.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh wait lol, i forgot the conspiracy sets existed, i guess thats not true

still, reprint necropotence

Necropotence would be bad in this standard.

It'd be pretty broken in Modern though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yes, but how many cards printed in the last few years of Standard have made an impact on eternal formats? A few of them have been the cards that Wizards didn't realize would be good, or that people were sick of by the time they rotated out (Rhino and CoCo to name a couple). I thought there was a Google spreadsheet being passed around where someone was tracking this, I remember BNG or JOU being on the same level as loving Prophecy wrt eternal playables.

It hasn't been tracked for a while, it would be interesting to check it and update it though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Necropotence would be bad in this standard.

It'd be pretty broken in Modern though.

where did i say it would be good, i just want them to reprint it in standard cause its a cool card

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Went to FNM with my cube and high hopes. We even had 8 people show up!

Then they decided they'd rather not draft cube ("I don't want to draft cards I can't keep.") and wanted to do loving sealed with leftover AER prerelease packs. Thankfully there weren't enough of those left so they agreed to AER draft. Then they started getting 3 AER packs each... Finally they agreed to 2xAER, 1xKLD.

Then I beat them all in 2. (well, only 3 matches, so I didn't play everyone, but whatever).

Anyway, I'm still kinda pissed off.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The TV show Portlandia recently had a sketch where someone is watching Instagram videos of attractive women and commenting "Beautiful." to each of them. It's revealed that it's Fred Armisen as a dour-looking guy in a dirty basement with cockroaches and other stuff. Then this is the punchline to the whole sketch:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

The TV show Portlandia recently had a sketch where someone is watching Instagram videos of attractive women and commenting "Beautiful." to each of them. It's revealed that it's Fred Armisen as a dour-looking guy in a dirty basement with cockroaches and other stuff. Then this is the punchline to the whole sketch:

You've got to be kidding me. What a disgusting piece of poo poo. Icons on the right side of the monitor?!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Modern FNM tonight, which are too few and far between. Took an easy 4-0 with Bant Eldrazi. My only game loss being to Abzan that was able to CoCo in to infinite on turn 3.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this deck - I love when it wins and I hate that it just loses to its own lovely draws sometimes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GP Pitt Day 1:

Plus a Judge Mystic Confluence and a foil Blackcleave Cliffs and mini prints of the expedition Tarn and Misty that I forgot to include in the main pics. Total cost: $10.

Please don't yell at me for trading in my cards or whatever I got yelled at over like 5 posts for last time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol Reanimate was an FNM promo, and apparently this month's promo is Fortune's Favor. Yeah....

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
drat shame there haven't been any standard sets where a Tarmogoyf reprint would make sense. You'd need some kind of graveyard matters set. Or a set where monsters roamed the countryside.

loving WotC.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Which of you bitches will be in Vegas this year? If you want to lose with my buddies and me in legacy let me know beforehand.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Why are people acting like Thoughtseize in Theros was some sort of format-warping boogeyman when it was merely A Good Card?

Hell, same with Thragtusk and Sphinx's Revelation. It's like Coco poisoned people's minds so much that now they can't conceive of Standard that wasn't overrun by a ban-worthy card and have to retroactively declare older ones just as awful.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why are people acting like Thoughtseize in Theros was some sort of format-warping boogeyman when it was merely A Good Card?

Hell, same with Thragtusk and Sphinx's Revelation. It's like Coco poisoned people's minds so much that now they can't conceive of Standard that wasn't overrun by a ban-worthy card and have to retroactively declare older ones just as awful.

I remember a looooot of people bitching about getting T1 thoughtseized at the time.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

well you see black was very strong back then and that was entirely due to thoughtseize and nothing else.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Retromancer posted:

I remember a looooot of people bitching about getting T1 thoughtseized at the time.

Did you ever hear Red players bitch about this? 'Cause I feel like they don't mind having their best card downgraded to Shock. I sure didn't. Sphinx Rev didn't bother me, either.

Does it seem to anyone else like WotC is deliberately trying to give players worse value for their money year to year, each year, as a function of secondary market value? It's not like a foil textless Cryptic Command and an FNM that-bad-blue-draw-card-whose-name-I-can't-remember cost different amounts to print. It seems to me that WotC is just letting SCG, TCG, CFB, et al make all their money for them, when properly supporting/rewarding players for frequently spending money on tournaments would make WotC more money without actually eating into SCG's profits.

Am I offbase or is WotC more poorly run than a college dropout could manage?

And the cards used to smell great! Now they smell like a petrol slick. Does anyone know what's up with that last one?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wizards have to strike a balance between reprinting cards to sell them but not reprinting them so much that their value drops. The hardest thing for me to understand is how players really want to play modern but wizards somehow sees that as a problem instead of as a business opportunity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cheon's debut GP coverage today.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bonus posted:

Wizards have to strike a balance between reprinting cards to sell them but not reprinting them so much that their value drops. The hardest thing for me to understand is how players really want to play modern but wizards somehow sees that as a problem instead of as a business opportunity.

It would mean they would need to admit they're not actually that good at crafting likeable standard formats.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Does it seem to anyone else like WotC is deliberately trying to give players worse value for their money year to year, each year, as a function of secondary market value? It's not like a foil textless Cryptic Command and an FNM that-bad-blue-draw-card-whose-name-I-can't-remember cost different amounts to print. It seems to me that WotC is just letting SCG, TCG, CFB, et al make all their money for them, when properly supporting/rewarding players for frequently spending money on tournaments would make WotC more money without actually eating into SCG's profits.

They have a ton of self-imposed rules for promos (standard only, no rares, no full-arts) that combined with the huge lead time for printing, causes them to print a ton of stuff that nobody wants. Then when attendance drops and people complain, they point at all that stuff and act like their hands are tied, they had no choice but to print Noose Constrictor for this months promo

There's a lot of money and goodwill to be made by actually giving the customers what they want, but there's a small yet reliable amount of money to be made by doing the same poo poo you've always done

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bonus posted:

Standard is a recurring source of income(if you can get people to keep buying standard decks), Modern isn't.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Standard is a recurring source of income(if you can get people to keep buying standard decks), Modern isn't.

Modern could be a recurring source of income.

They just choose to not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

You can debate which makes more but to say modern doesn't cause players to buy packs is delusional.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

modern would for sure be a recurring source of income if they monetized it at a price point that made it accessible for new players

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Blessed Alliance would have been such a great promo instead of noose.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The mat for this feature match is disgusting. It may have never been cleaned.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

You can debate which makes more but to say modern doesn't cause players to buy packs is delusional.

There are like three new modern playable cards per set on average, that's a lot less than standard

little munchkin posted:

modern would for sure be a recurring source of income if they monetized it at a price point that made it accessible for new players

Sure, but that means you're dropping your income from established players since they no longer have to run on the hamster wheel

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

There are like three new modern playable cards per set on average, that's a lot less than standard

Sure, but that means you're dropping your income from established players since they no longer have to run on the hamster wheel

Every event with packs for prize support both sells packs to players and gets them in the store to drive business. It a constant, consistent source of sales because the format gets people to show up at fnm/pptq/iq/whatever.

And the there is still a hamster wheel. Any person that has finished a deck eventually is going to build another one, even in non-rotating formats. Players want foils, alt art, or just multiples of staples in general for convenient deck building.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

They could try printing playable cards

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok nerds, I'll be at the GP in about an hour. Who's around?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mehall posted:

It would mean they would need to admit they're not actually that good at crafting likeable standard formats.

It's pretty interesting considering that a few years back Maro admitted that they were trying out a few new things, like removing bolt, 4 mana wrath, and 1 mana unconditional mana dorks. The idea that they moved away from some things like this that are pretty core parts of how the game has worked forever while slowly retracting the withering olive branch they already had in place is pretty mind blowing

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The issue with magic is they only go after whales. You can't, for instance, do phantom drafts online, you need 3 packs and two tix. They could sell a lot more drafts if they were 5 bucks instead of 15 or whatever it works out to, but they aren't interested, god knows why. They could have cube around all the time but they aren't interested because .... I don't know, they're afraid the set won't sell well, even though fewer people drafting means the value will go up and it will self correct.

They set out to make an affordable legacy and blamed the reprint policy on the cost of the format, then proceeded to make it have exactly the same price issues legacy has, if to a slightly smaller degree sometimes.

Theres a serious lack of long term vision and ambition at the top, things like the client and the costs are a joke compare to competitors, so despite being a great game it's barely relevant anymore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Death Bot posted:

It's pretty interesting considering that a few years back Maro admitted that they were trying out a few new things, like removing bolt, 4 mana wrath, and 1 mana unconditional mana dorks. The idea that they moved away from some things like this that are pretty core parts of how the game has worked forever while slowly retracting the withering olive branch they already had in place is pretty mind blowing

that was Stoddard actually, who said that. and i don't really think a one mana elf would make this format better tbh

4 mana wrath would be nice tho, and obvs bolt is love but it's been gone for more time then it's been around for a while

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

that was Stoddard actually, who said that. and i don't really think a one mana elf would make this format better tbh

4 mana wrath would be nice tho, and obvs bolt is love but it's been gone for more time then it's been around for a while

i was watching a video of i dont even loving remember what recently, something Durward was playing, and i realized how much of a dinosaur i am in mtg when the "this is a pretty well developed board, his opponent should hold some stuff back" thought popped into my head and i was like, oh. oh right. overextending being a problem is so 2003.

people are massive loving babies about blue based control decks that dont have black so of course thragtusk and sphinx's were ban worthy and worse than anything and actually both fit in the red color pie. i will say that making both thragtusk and resto both only require one colored mana symbol was the real problem. there were a ton of cool decks when sphinx's was kicking around, that card ruled in standard

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 11, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Where's this swamp from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Thragtusk was in almost every deck that ran green for the year it was in Standard, and almost all of them did. It allowed the slower decks more time to deal with aggressive strategies, and it gave the reanimator decks a way to stay in the game against hate cards.

• Locked thread