Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Invalid Validation posted:

The thing to keep in mind about Black Sails is that they only have the budget to blow their load at the beginning and ending of the season. So you have a lot of talking in the middle. It's still pretty awesome.

To everybody who likes black sails:
Give taboo a chance. I think you'll like it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it's Victorian Deadwood like Black Sails is like Pirate Deadwood then I'm in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chuck a pinch of DMT in there, you got yourself a show.

That full body tattoo is commitment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think that Deadwood movie is happening. No pre-production work is happening and David Milch doesn't even have a script yet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Misfits: so loving dumb and so fun

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think that Deadwood movie is happening. No pre-production work is happening and David Milch doesn't even have a script yet.

Hasn't this been dead for like a decade? Or is that the joke and I'm an idiot?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it kinda came back for a bit and promptly died again. Milch pretty much needs to make it at some point to get out of his superdebt

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think I even want to see what a Deadwood movie would be like now that everyone is so much older and the sets are all gone.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Misfits: so loving dumb and so fun

Yes, yes it is. The cast changes a bit over the seasons, but I really liked every season.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
the Ranch

It's actually funny. Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson are essentially Kelso and Hyde in the west. But while it definitely spent most of its budget on casting, the cast play really well off each other. For what is definitely a red state targeted sitcom, it's mostly apolitical (when it does go there it's mostly at Sam Elliott expense).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Z Nation

First episode was ok, the following were kind of meh, but now I'm on like episode 9 of the first season and... I'm hooked. It's both stupid and not stupid and cheesy and not cheesy at the same time. Don't get it twisted though, it's trash TV but Good Trash TV. This is the kind of poo poo Asylum should have been doing all along

The biggest advantage it has over, say, The Walking Dead, is that I actually care about pretty much all of the characters and it only took a couple of episodes. They're all fun and contribute to the show... and the melodrama that I think drags TWD down so much just comes in short bursts in Z Nation and then they loving MOVE ON

I hope it keeps it up

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 9, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zzulu posted:

Z Nation

First episode was ok, the following were kind of meh, but now I'm on like episode 9 of the first season and... I'm hooked. It's both stupid and not stupid and cheesy and not cheesy at the same time. Don't get it twisted though, it's trash TV but Good Trash TV. This is the kind of poo poo Asylum should have been doing all along

The biggest advantage it has over, say, The Walking Dead, is that I actually care about pretty much all of the characters and it only took a couple of episodes. They're all fun and contribute to the show... and the melodrama that I think drags TWD down so much just comes in short bursts in Z Nation and then they loving MOVE ON

I hope it keeps it up

It does. Season 1 finale is a doozie

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

mrfart posted:

Started this yesterday and so far it's pretty good. Tom Hardy sure likes his weird accents.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

johnsonrod posted:

Started this yesterday and so far it's pretty good. Tom Hardy sure likes his weird accents.

And he's equally incomprehensible with all of them. Seriously I like him in a lot of movies but the dude has got a serious case of mushmouth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mrfart posted:

I kinda like it. It has a great style to it, and Tom Hardy is magnificent in it, but the direction is lackluster sometimes and details aren't presented as clearly as they need to be. For example, about half an hour after watching the latest episode, I totally forgot why the Company got Lourna out of prison for James. It just doesn't stick that well.

I recently found The Expanse on Amazon and drat do I love me some good sci fi. The quality of production in this show is consistently surprising, and the writing is surprisingly tight. The first two episodes of the new season have been great so far and I'm totally siked to see where this goes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

johnsonrod posted:

It's only a stone's throw from his real accent, he's from london.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Z Nation

I hope it keeps it up

Oh, it definitely does. I haven't seen season 3 yet, but seasons 1 and 2 were both really really good. They're far better than the last season and a half of TWD, that's for sure.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of zombie shows, I just watched both seasons of iZombie and its just a lot of fun. The characters are all likeable and seem to have some depth to them and the show has managed to tow a good line between murder of the week as well as an overarching plot. I really like it!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I just watched the first two episodes of the BBC series Poldark and really thought it's a period piece done right. I like how the main character has his personality flaws, but also morally doesn't act like he just dropped in from the 21st century. Poldark's a nice guy, but he's only a nice guy for his time period and social status. I also like how the script doesn't feel any need to drag your attention to the semi-obvious, like how the servant girl's abusive father and a whole gang of other men marched on Poldark's house to retrieve her because they probably thought Mr. Aristocrat had whisked her away because he wants to screw her. And really, they're probably right! And Poldark's tenant farmers treat Poldark like he (their landlord) is their best buddy and that they'll do anything for him. Coincidentally, they know that Poldark is debating selling all his land and heading to London, which if he does will leave them all homeless.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trig Discipline posted:

Yes, yes it is. The cast changes a bit over the seasons, but I really liked every season.

Hmm, I hope so

I just started season 3 last night. So it seems like Nathan (my favorite) is gone and we have a this replacement guy who is not so bad but not nearly as fun as the dumb prick was.

I also hated that everyone has new powers. The old ones were a lot more interesting and had a reason to be, connected as they were with each character personality

I also liked Simon better when he was a creepy shy goon and Alisha when she wanst playing damsel all the time

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 10, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Started up Travelers which seems pretty cool so far.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Timothy Olyphant should get the emmy for best comedic actor for Santa Clarita Diet.
Might be the funniest show since prime The Office for me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Timothy Olyphant should get the emmy for best comedic actor for Santa Clarita Diet.

It really is terrific.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about how handsome I am."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hmm, I hope so

I just started season 3 last night. So it seems like Nathan (my favorite) is gone and we have a this replacement guy who is not so bad but not nearly as fun as the dumb prick was.

Rudy? Honestly after having seen the whole show I would have a hard time saying whether Rudy or Nathan were my favorite; I came to love Rudy every bit as much.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trig Discipline posted:

Rudy? Honestly after having seen the whole show I would have a hard time saying whether Rudy or Nathan were my favorite; I came to love Rudy every bit as much.

Yeah, him. He is not bad, but I got really fond of Nathan. Granted, I only watched the first episode in s3 yet, so I might grow to like him too

Im more mad about the new powers, but lets see if they can make them interesting

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 10, 2017

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I miss Robert Sheehan. Has he done anything of note since leaving Misfits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLMZEkF5W8

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not really yet. He's in Fortitude season 2 and just got announced as the lead for some big YA adaptation Peter Jackson is predicting. Mortal Engines apparently, which is really confusing since he already had a role in precious YA adaptation Mortal Instruments.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Just finished the show today and while I enjoyed it, I have come to the conclusion that Olyphant does angry and unhinged waaaaaay better than comedy. It wasn't awful, but his delivery always felt off somehow, like he was trying just a bit too hard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I felt the opposite - I mean at first I felt it was unnatural but I think that was just because I was so used to him as the seething badass. By the end I was drat impressed with how he played against type so well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just finished Westworld......wow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I was just saying this today. Drew Barrymore is hysterically funny all the time, But Tim Olyphant is doing a shitload of work there and he's crushing it, his delivery is amazing,

The daughter is way up there on funny motherfucker list

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen this show yet but his work in Justified's been great so I'm definitely checking this out later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Justified was pretty great (even if it didn't ever reach season two heights again) and had one of my favorite last lines in a series finale ever.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rocksicles posted:

I was just saying this today. Drew Barrymore is hysterically funny all the time, But Tim Olyphant is doing a shitload of work there and he's crushing it, his delivery is amazing,

The daughter is way up there on funny motherfucker list

I'm loving this, the episodes are the perfect length for 'just one more', and it's like kimmy schmidt became a zombie sometimes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I randomly stumbled upon Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix tonight and promptly watched the first 5 episodes back to back. It's a super chill slice of life thing about people that frequent a late night restaurant in some back alley in Tokyo. I'm addicted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's kind of like a Japanese Horace and Pete.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

I randomly stumbled upon Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix tonight and promptly watched the first 5 episodes back to back. It's a super chill slice of life thing about people that frequent a late night restaurant in some back alley in Tokyo. I'm addicted.

It's great, I'm kinda miffed that there aren't more.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

It's great, I'm kinda miffed that there aren't more.

Apparently there's 2 more seasons and a couple films, so hopefully Netflix streams those as well in the future.

I'm about to start watching the Korean version. Hopefully it's as good as this was.

Is there anything else out there similar? I loved this series and would love to watch similar stuff

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Not really yet. He's in Fortitude season 2 and just got announced as the lead for some big YA adaptation Peter Jackson is predicting. Mortal Engines apparently, which is really confusing since he already had a role in precious YA adaptation Mortal Instruments.

Got to find that next big YA adaptation now Hunger Games is done. They've tried Mortal Instruments, Divergent, that Ender's Game movie with Harrison Ford in it, Beautiful Creatures, Vampire Academy, the Stephanie Meyers one that isn't Twilight, probably some others I've forgotten too. (Don't know if Maze Runner counts because I haven't seen any of them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maze runner looked really good from what i remember of it. #teensintrouble

YA book adaptations are the new 80's horror. I wrote out a whole thing about it a few weeks ago, then lost it on a thoughtless tab close.