Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

Rude.

This is correct for pops who live on a planets or something and have to flee dynamically, but there's a few events where you can receive generated refugees, or you rescue them from something. Then you set them to Livestock and chow down. It's a nice early game growth boost.

Oh man, there's an event chain where you find a race who downloaded themselves into data storage because their planet was doomed or something, right? I think you can just put them in Synth bodies or something, but how great would it be to bio-engineer them new bodies, download them back into their new flesh, and then eat them? :getin:

It's possible, but requires a fair amount of effort: You have to have a Xenophile Fallen Empire, have them ask you for the brain scans, then attack them and conquer The Preserve, which is where the species pops up after being restored by the FE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Here's what I want to know: where are the drat mecha, Paradox? We have godzillas and jedis and space marines in power armor but no giant missile shooting robots?

Alphamod has you covered.

Heck, it has three types. Light, medium, and heavy. And that's before you add in mounts and titanic life. I posted way back about a Kaiju vs giant robot war I had on one planet way back.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wiz posted:

It's possible, but requires a fair amount of effort: You have to have a Xenophile Fallen Empire, have them ask you for the brain scans, then attack them and conquer The Preserve, which is where the species pops up after being restored by the FE.

I can never really tell how disturbing The Preserve is. Supposedly the races are kept in comfort in their "natural habitat" but it's unclear if that means "humans (for example) live in a post-scarcity arcology perfectly adapted to them and live lives of perfect comfort" or "humans are forced to live in hunter gatherer societies with artificial scarcity of food and shelter".

I just want to say that ambiguity goes a long way to making the xenophile FE have a sinister undercurrent and a level of mysterious unknowableness which I think is great. They come across as the "good guy" FE and then they show up with a request to put your race in the preserve and suddenly they don't seem quite so benevolent any more.

And at the same time you're never quite sure whether conquering the preserve makes you a liberator or the destroyer of paradise.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wiz posted:

Are you friggin joking me

I can't tell if that's amazing or retarded or just a wonderful combination of both

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kitchner posted:

I mean if you can bioengineer the bodies anyway, you're essentially implying the meat is only tasty if you actually had to kill someone to eat it.

If Paradox has a staff psychologist you should probably book a visit just to be on the safe side.

Does CKII have cannibalism yet? I feel as if it does.

That's the entire point, I want to bring them back only to discover they are food.

SkySteak posted:

Yes it does. When your keep is holed up during a major disease outbreak, you can catch someone eating your supplies at night, giving you the option to eat them.

Not only that, if you are both a cannibal and a lunatic you can eat your prisoners. As an important note, assuming you have Fantasy content turned on, eating people in CK2 has a chance of you gaining one of their traits and eating the head of a religion gives you sympathy for that faith. Stellaris really needs to catch up in the cannibalism area.

Wiz posted:

Excellent. I actually have a Xenophile FE neighbour...

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Darkrenown posted:

Not only that, if you are both a cannibal and a lunatic you can eat your prisoners. As an important note, assuming you have Fantasy content turned on, eating people in CK2 has a chance of you gaining one of their traits and eating the head of a religion gives you sympathy for that faith. Stellaris really needs to catch up in the cannibalism area.

It's not cannibalism when they are aliens, it's sensible conservation to avoid overpopulation.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What I'm getting is that a lot of people feel this game lacks enough options for playing as Dark Eldar.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

What I'm getting is that a lot of people feel this game lacks enough options for playing as Dark Eldar.
No raiding for instance.

I mean, what the heck? I should be able to create some privateers and try and snag some money/folks/tech from my enemies right?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No raiding for instance.

I mean, what the heck? I should be able to create some privateers and try and snag some money/folks/tech from my enemies right?

Nope nope nope. Nothing is more annoying than chasing down millions of AI raiders across 20 systems stealing your loot.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Rincewinds posted:

It's not cannibalism when they are aliens, it's sensible conservation to avoid overpopulation.

Clearly we need a new term for this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Xenophage?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Blorange posted:

Nope nope nope. Nothing is more annoying than chasing down millions of AI raiders across 20 systems stealing your loot.
inferior christian player spotted

No but seriously, unlike CK2, you can actually build stations in Stellaris and this would mean they might actually have some purpose! You'd maybe patrol with your fleets, rather than simply always have them in port except when at war or have ships that wouldn't just be designed to be the most damage per slot but cheap?

Darkrenown posted:

Xenophage?
That's just what it is though; why not a snazzy one, like it's a fad diet?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hey, so I was idly browsing the Stellaris forum and I came across the apparent fact that most of the Purge options like Neuter and Eat are going to be restricted to Xenophobes? That's a bit of a bummer if true so I'd like to see some confirm/deny so I'm not just taking some rando at their word.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Xenophiles should definitely love the exotic taste of alien sentient flesh. :getin:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

Knowing that there's only one meal of that kind in the galaxy probably does improve the taste to be fair.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's just what it is though; why not a snazzy one, like it's a fad diet?

"Darling you simply must try the Xax'urzonn'mqw Diet, it's fantastic! I've lost nine pounds since I started it but the food is aaa-MAY-zinggg!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
humans are now over 50% of the total galactic population in my kill everyone run

i'd be doing better but i had to turn inward for a bit. the downside to putting everything in one megasector is if a liberation faction gets too powerful, the strikes will absolutely demolish you because they affect the ENTIRE SECTOR, not just the planets the faction holds sway. that was a rude surprise, though i guess it makes sense in hindsight. anyway, unsurprisingly, a huge number of the faction members were xenos who were on the eventual murder block so i had to go through and purge a half-dozen planets that the sector AI didn't want to for understandable reasons.

it's hilarious to see how much everyone HATES my rear end now though. every single other power in the game is at -1000 Genocidal and frequently tallies up a bunch of other maluses as well. nobody raises a finger though because i've got 300k fleet strength and i'd be surprised if the rest of the galaxy could front 150k at this point. more realistically i think they could probably work up 100k. they keep fighting little wars between each other but nobody even insults me anymore for fear of bringing my attention their way. i'm a little sad there isn't an event to have micro-powers just up and flee the galaxy in a situation like this.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 11, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

Xenophiles should definitely love the exotic taste of alien sentient flesh. :getin:

Yeah, it's not like xenophile specifies what they like about aliens.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Truga posted:

Yeah, it's not like xenophile specifies what they like about aliens.

We are one with the Alien.

Because we are what we eat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh. So there isn't an "alien migration only" toggle.

Also, am I the only who really enjoys filling home-worlds of aliens with robots so there's literally none of the original species in it? I find it dreadfully amusing for some reason.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you use resettlement for something like that. since home-worlds have 100% habitability for their respective race there is zero chance that they would ever migrate off of it entirely.

resettlement is weird of course because if you're an individualist xenophobe you can't resettle xenos, but c'est la vie

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Coolguye posted:

you use resettlement for something like that. since home-worlds have 100% habitability for their respective race there is zero chance that they would ever migrate off of it entirely.

resettlement is weird of course because if you're an individualist xenophobe you can't resettle xenos, but c'est la vie

You don't need to resettle to achieve it, even at 100% habitability migration away still happens, and if you build a robot in the vacant slot the same month the pop migrates, the slot is no longer free for pop growth. I did this with my own capital, by the time I triggered the horizon signal events my capital was 100% Synth (I ended up resettling one pop back on my capital since I'd heard it was kind of necessary for the events to make sense, but I wonder what happens if you've got no founder pops on your capital).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If the eat option is limited to xenophobes instead of including authoritarians, thats some dumb poo poo.

Xenophobes may not believe aliens are really people, but that takes half the satisfaction out it!

Authoritarians recognize you are people, they just want you to understand that your proper place in society is at the bottom of the food chain.

Also I really want to be all devouring authoritarian xenophiles, seeking to embrace the alien and find them their one true place in my society. With that true place ranging from leadership to dinner, depending on their intrinsic value.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We want to meet friends and have them for dinner.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'm probably never going to eat anybody.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Roobanguy posted:

i'm probably never going to eat anybody.

Come on, just one bite, it looks so delicious... you know you want it...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If the eat option is limited to xenophobes instead of including authoritarians, thats some dumb poo poo.

Xenophobes may not believe aliens are really people, but that takes half the satisfaction out it!

Authoritarians recognize you are people, they just want you to understand that your proper place in society is at the bottom of the food chain.

Also I really want to be all devouring authoritarian xenophiles, seeking to embrace the alien and find them their one true place in my society. With that true place ranging from leadership to dinner, depending on their intrinsic value.

I mean by that logic collectivists should also be fine with eating people because what matters is the good of the whole.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

CK2 players: did you know that possessed characters can eat unconscious people at parties? There's more than one way to become a cannibal! :eng101:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I mean by that logic collectivists should also be fine with eating people because what matters is the good of the whole.

It is every citizens final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I never thought that Stellaris would be a game where you create your own utility monsters.

Anticheese posted:

CK2 players: did you know that possessed characters can eat unconscious people at parties? There's more than one way to become a cannibal! :eng101:

That's messed up. I'm going to try that right now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

There is no collectivism. Only authoritarianism

But of that was an ethos then yes it should be allowed to do it today because it would be the "anything is moral for the greater good ethos" collectivism we have now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh did they change the ethos sliders?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

They have renamed Collectivist/Individualist to Authoritarian/Egalitarian to more accurately (imo anyway) reflect most of what they do as social values abstracted to game mechanics although there are also going to be a few tweaks to how they work so it's not just a reskin.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can you be a society of Xenophiles and eat all the Xenophobes.
Because there are so many Xenophobes I want to eat.

Is being intolerant of intolerance hypocrisy?
I dunno. But it sure is delicious.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GunnerJ posted:

They have renamed Collectivist/Individualist to Authoritarian/Egalitarian to more accurately (imo anyway) reflect most of what they do as social values abstracted to game mechanics although there are also going to be a few tweaks to how they work so it's not just a reskin.

Also because I imagine if Wiz had to deal with one more armchair philosopher lecturing him he was probably about to go postal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also because I imagine if Wiz had to deal with one more armchair philosopher lecturing him he was probably about to go postal.

Well, I doubt you can ever escape that because this change was met with a lot of salty tears from internet libertarians about how now there is only fascism and communism in Stellaris.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if I was going to be armchair political philosopher I would say that egalitarian isn't entirely the opposite of authoritarian whereas individualist/collectivist seemed pretty easy for me to get.

It'd also be a bit weird to have a bug hive and a dictatorship using the same ethos.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for bug empires though because the gene modding bugs in sword of the stars were my favorite faction.

E: Mind you I guess that collectivist/individualist would now be sort of based on the unity mechanic, literally how collectivist or individually divergent your empire is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 12, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Well, I doubt you can ever escape that because this change was met with a lot of salty tears from internet libertarians about how now there is only fascism and communism in Stellaris.

I'm okay with pretending internet libertarians don't exist.

Alternatively, I would be okay with eating internet libertarians.

So I guess I could go either way on the issue.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I feel like hive-mind-type collectivism would probably be better served by a species trait since that's typically a matter of biology rather than culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It'd probably be over-complicated, but what about specific combinations of traits that unlock another meta-trait that has advantages and drawbacks? Like Conformist, Communal, and Repugnant or something else to unlock a zero-point trait for being a hive-minded species. Locks you into a specific, powerful government type that has penalties for non-mechanical pops that don't have the same trait.

At least, before modification. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread