Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The discussion about the Super Scope made me curious about how many compatible games exist and it led me to what may be the only interesting thing Titus ever did :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-f4hjKTEu0

If you boot Lamborghini American Challenge with a Super Scope plugged in it'll let you shoot other drivers off the road, with the option of AI-assisted driving, full manual control or playing with another player a la Lucky & Wild. (You can also use the SNES Mouse for analogue steering.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Monster World IV looks great but that's mostly down to art design rather than technical chops, I'd say. Crusader of Centy's another game I'd put in that same category.

Alien Soldier is the flipside - it's undeniably technically accomplished but the art style's quite idiosyncratic and disjointed so it doesn't gel with a lot of people. (Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy, Treasure's other original sidescrollers, are definitely worth a look as well.)

Adventures of Batman & Robin is a good pick - it's full of flashy effects that rival Treasure's stuff and it was made in collaboration with the Batman TAS animators so it looks great to boot. Jesper Kyd did the music and it also plays to the MD's strength even though it doesn't make much sense in the context of a Batman TAS game.

Ranger X pulls of a lot of neat tricks including clever use of shadows/highlights to imply a really wide SNES-style colour palette, wireframe 3D level intros, etc.

Konami's later sidescrollers are all impressive in their own ways: Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines and Rocket Knight Adventures.

The Vectorman games aren't much fun but they're packed with "let's see DKC do this!"-type gimmicks that are pretty neat.

The Toy Story game has some neat gimmicks, including a first-person stage that runs better than any legit FPS released for MD.

Red Zone is fun to marvel at but not much fun to play - it's a top-down helicopter game by some demoscene dudes that uses tons of rotation and clever parallax tricks to imply 3D depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZKsQ09qOk4
That intro blew me away when I saw it. The game was hard af for me though.

The discussion about the Super Scope made me curious about how many compatible games exist and it led me to what may be the only interesting thing Titus ever did :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-f4hjKTEu0

If you boot Lamborghini American Challenge with a Super Scope plugged in it'll let you shoot other drivers off the road, with the option of AI-assisted driving, full manual control or playing with another player a la Lucky & Wild. (You can also use the SNES Mouse for analogue steering.)

What!? :eyepop:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Instant Sunrise posted:

N64 literally does not boot without a cartridge inserted since each cartridge contains a bootloader, so that's not surprising.
UltraHDMI, supposedly, is accessible by powering on the N64 with no game in it. I believe it's meant to be a failsafe if you say accidentally disable the OSD shortcut key you'd use to access the menu normally in-game. I can access the menu with no game in the system, but it doesn't do it automatically...I still have to hit the R+DpadR+L+CbuttonR.

It makes sense in retrospect why it would not work, but it's really interesting seeing how the De-Blur function kind of blows on higher res games such as Turok 2, Rogue Squadron, and Perfect Dark. They very noticeable look worse with it on. Normally you'd use "Auto" to make the feature automatically turn off in such games, but at least a few low-res games seem to cause issues with that. Star Fox 64 seems to think it's not 320x240 for example and only benefits if you set it to "Always" instead. So my compromise, for now at least, is to keep it at Always unless I play one of those higher res games.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
gently caress the Death boss at the end of stage 5 of Rondo of Blood.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Cool, that's one of the games I used to have. I seem to recall that it was really hyped by one of the PCE sites but I found it a little disappointing. Don't recall why, though. Please update with your findings.

I have been playing a burn of it for years so I knew exactly what I was getting into, it's definitely not a top tier game but I really like it's ~aesthetic~ or whatever and it plays fine for what it is

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

The games should be played in chronological order. Start with Kenzan and then skip ahead three hundred years to Ishan. :colbert:

I would give a lung to get Kenzan localized :smith:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Monster World IV looks great but that's mostly down to art design rather than technical chops, I'd say. Crusader of Centy's another game I'd put in that same category.

Alien Soldier is the flipside - it's undeniably technically accomplished but the art style's quite idiosyncratic and disjointed so it doesn't gel with a lot of people. (Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy, Treasure's other original sidescrollers, are definitely worth a look as well.)

Adventures of Batman & Robin is a good pick - it's full of flashy effects that rival Treasure's stuff and it was made in collaboration with the Batman TAS animators so it looks great to boot. Jesper Kyd did the music and it also plays to the MD's strength even though it doesn't make much sense in the context of a Batman TAS game.

Ranger X pulls of a lot of neat tricks including clever use of shadows/highlights to imply a really wide SNES-style colour palette, wireframe 3D level intros, etc.

Konami's later sidescrollers are all impressive in their own ways: Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines and Rocket Knight Adventures.

The Vectorman games aren't much fun but they're packed with "let's see DKC do this!"-type gimmicks that are pretty neat.

The Toy Story game has some neat gimmicks, including a first-person stage that runs better than any legit FPS released for MD.

Red Zone is fun to marvel at but not much fun to play - it's a top-down helicopter game by some demoscene dudes that uses tons of rotation and clever parallax tricks to imply 3D depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZKsQ09qOk4

I've always found Kawasaki Superbike Challenge to be pretty impressive, it's polygonal without any additional hardware (though with some cheating, the road is parallax) and it even has split screen.

The later Disney games like Pocahontas and Pinocchio look great, though aren't that amazing to play.

An oft overlooked game is one of the last ones released on the system, Jurassic Park The Lost World. It's quite a bit of fun with two players and makes good use of shadow/highlight effects in order to squeeze as much colour from the system as possible.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
The NT Mini firmware now supports SG-1000, Master System, Game Gear and Colecovision:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-45#entry3693098

At the risk of getting annoying and being a shill, I can't say enough good things about these FPGA cores. These are extremely low-level hardware recreations (like, transistor-level recreations), done by the person most qualified to do this kind of work, that spit out to RGB or upscaled to HDMI with no input lag. If you pipe composite out, it's actual NES composite with the exact same "stair steps" and dot crawl and stuff, nothing is fake about it. There will never be a more accurate recreation of these systems. I've been waiting for this drat box for over ten years now and it's as great as I thought it would be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I would give a lung to get Kenzan localized :smith:

It is legitimately awesome to play, but tough to get through without a lot of Japanese knowledge. There's one rear end in a top hat kid who asks questions about kanji and there was someone in the room with me while I was playing who found it hilarious as I rapidly flipped through a Japanese dictionary trying to figure out the answer.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

dishwasherlove posted:

Whats the best 'end of life' game to showcase the Genesis' ability? Monster World IV?

Frogger.

What? It was the last game released for the system. :colbert:

Seriously though any of the ones that PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned are good. Ranger X might not qualify as late (it was a 93 release) but it does has really nifty 3d-like effects in spots and is a blast to play. Ristar is absolutely gorgeous and the color palette is way more impressive than a Genesis game has any right to be. I'd also drop Sonic & Knuckles in there. The difference in colors and animation quality between that and Sonic 1 or even 2 is amazing. Light Crusader is fun, if super short. I'm not sure how well it really highlights what developers were able to squeeze out of the system at the time though. I just have a soft spot for that game for some reason. Maybe X-perts if you like digitized graphics and self harm.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Star Cruiser isn't anywhere near the end of the Genesis's lifespan, but it's still a really technically impressive game as well. It got a fan translation recently too!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Star Cruiser really creaks on MD but it's amazing they were able to port it to the extent they did.

If you want something that shows what the MD can do right now, the work on the Wolfenstein 3D port continues - the dev just recently managed to bump the resolution a little and add another frame or two per second, in fact: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?25663-wolfenstein-3d-demo-for-sega-genesis/page46&p=769551#post769551

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

I've always found Kawasaki Superbike Challenge to be pretty impressive, it's polygonal without any additional hardware (though with some cheating, the road is parallax) and it even has split screen.

The later Disney games like Pocahontas and Pinocchio look great, though aren't that amazing to play.

An oft overlooked game is one of the last ones released on the system, Jurassic Park The Lost World. It's quite a bit of fun with two players and makes good use of shadow/highlight effects in order to squeeze as much colour from the system as possible.

I looked up Kawasaki superbike challenge and it even seems to run at a decent framerate, which is doubly impressive

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did Star Fox 64 run at some sort of weird non-320x240 resolution? It's the only game in my library that doesn't seem to work with Auto De-Blur, meaning the algorithm used to determine whether it's 240p or not is thinking it's something else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nate RFB posted:

Did Star Fox 64 run at some sort of weird non-320x240 resolution? It's the only game in my library that doesn't seem to work with Auto De-Blur, meaning the algorithm used to determine whether it's 240p or not is thinking it's something else.

There are some N64 games that run at 384×288, not sure if Star Fox 64 is one of them. There are also a few games that run at a whole 640x480 but I'm like 99% sure Star Fox 64 doesn't.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, any of the "High-Res" games like Rogue Squadron, Turok 2, etc. seem to run at 480i and thus look worse when you force De-Blur. That's relatively easy to check though because one of the De-Blur options is basically "force it on even on interlaced signals" which only ever happens on those types of games. But not all of them are consistent with this when it comes to menus; for example GoldenEye and Starcraft 64's menus seem to be 480i while in game they're 240p. 99% of all of these situations are solved by picking Auto and just letting the UltraHDMI figure it out; it's just that Star Fox is a weird outlier.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm assuming the only way still to add S-video to NES is with NESRGB?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

\
If you want something that shows what the MD can do right now, the work on the Wolfenstein 3D port continues - the dev just recently managed to bump the resolution a little and add another frame or two per second, in fact: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?25663-wolfenstein-3d-demo-for-sega-genesis/page46&p=769551#post769551

That is really impressive, but man is that thread a train wreck. Next two pages or so are people arguing about whether it's kosher to use repros and flashcarts.

TheRedEye posted:

The NT Mini firmware now supports SG-1000, Master System, Game Gear and Colecovision:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-45#entry3693098

At the risk of getting annoying and being a shill, I can't say enough good things about these FPGA cores. These are extremely low-level hardware recreations (like, transistor-level recreations), done by the person most qualified to do this kind of work, that spit out to RGB or upscaled to HDMI with no input lag. If you pipe composite out, it's actual NES composite with the exact same "stair steps" and dot crawl and stuff, nothing is fake about it. There will never be a more accurate recreation of these systems. I've been waiting for this drat box for over ten years now and it's as great as I thought it would be.

This is really cool and good. Is it remotely possible to implement 16-bit consoles with the consumer FPGAs we have now?

EDIT: Welp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZyLj1gX0_k

azurite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 11, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

That is really impressive, but man is that thread a train wreck. Next two pages or so are people arguing about whether it's kosher to use repros and flashcarts.

We'd never argue about that here.

Especially now that the heretics have been purged.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Star Cruiser really creaks on MD but it's amazing they were able to port it to the extent they did.

The Wolf 3D port is actually extremely playable, and it's always suprising when I load it up.

Why wasn't Doom this good id?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

The Wolf 3D port is actually extremely playable, and it's always suprising when I load it up.

Didn't it get farmed out? Also the visuals are a bit more detailed for Doom, yes?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, id proper did the Doom port, and rush the gently caress out of it. It's got the same exact code base as the Jaguar version.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Because Doom 32X was done on a rushed schedule without the literal years of work and far better development tools the guy doing his own Wolf 3D Genesis port is doing?

The Wolf 3D port also inherently benefits from lack of textured floors and ceilings, lack of height variation in floors and other such things that all around make Wolf 3D a much less intense game. It's why Wolf 3D can run acceptably on a 6 MHz 286 PC with only 1 MB of RAM, but Doom needed a minimum of a 20 MHz 386 and 4 MB of RAM to really run acceptably.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

iastudent posted:

I'm assuming the only way still to add S-video to NES is with NESRGB?
Correct.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Doom needed a minimum of a 20 MHz 386 and 4 MB of RAM to really run acceptably.

I'd put acceptably in quotes there, my 386 is 33mhz and has maxed out RAM and an ET4000 and Doom is playable only at postage stamp size

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

I'd put acceptably in quotes there, my 386 is 33mhz and has maxed out RAM and an ET4000 and Doom is playable only at postage stamp size

Yeah, you really needed a 486 for DOOM.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my new toy today :toot:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

Acceptable in comparison to the 32x port is what I mean there, same sort of deal with Wolf 3D on the low-model 286.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

Got my new toy today :toot:

I like that this is already on erotic photo hunt.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Dave posted:

I like that this is already on erotic photo hunt.

I want to hack the game but it's ide and I need more ram so nudie games is about all I can do

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Nah, id proper did the Doom port, and rush the gently caress out of it. It's got the same exact code base as the Jaguar version.

Nah, Carmack did work on it directly towards the end but it was primarily done by Sega of America.

It could have been a lot better but it was rushed for the launch of the 32X and they skimped on the ROM size.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

flyboi posted:

I want to hack the game but it's ide and I need more ram so nudie games is about all I can do

Why would you ever play anything besides erotic photo hunt???

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Agrias120 posted:

Why would you ever play anything besides erotic photo hunt???

What if I told you the entire thing is Linux and the assets are unencrypted outside of the security dongle check?

It's also a unity app which means mono-wrapped .net binary so defeating the security dongle should be trivial

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Thing I picked up for :10bux: at last weekend's SoCal Retro Expo:

Just cleaned it tonight, so I figured I'd show off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Thing I picked up for :10bux: at last weekend's SoCal Retro Expo:

Just cleaned it tonight, so I figured I'd show off.

I don't think very much of those controllers myself. I've got a set of them and they're really mushy and even when new the buttons had a tendency to get stuck.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think very much of those controllers myself. I've got a set of them and they're really mushy and even when new the buttons had a tendency to get stuck.

Same, I really can't stand any joystick that doesn't have microswitches because the mushy feel is like the opposite of how I want a stick to move.

On the topic of controls, I built this to make Amiga games slightly less terrible:

When used with a Genesis or Master System controller it maps the up direction to the second button so jumping in games like Turrican isn't a nightmare, the switch lets you set it either way. It still needs to be totally disconnected for the very few games that natively use the second button if you want to use it, but this was just a test (hence the hotglue) and I'm going to build one in a real case which will never need to be disconnected, may add the autofire circuit from a Lazer Quick Fire as well. If I can figure out how to build my own autofire circuits without cannibalizing old hardware and find parts cheap enough I may start selling these remapping/rapid fire boxes as I haven't seen any product for sale that does this.

Yesterday I also added a DF0 selector:

This lets you trick the A500 into thinking the external drive is the internal drive so you can boot from it, along with this cable you can use a floppy emulator like a HxC or Gotek without removing the internal floppy drive. I'm waiting on the cable and plan to get the HxC model I linked when I can afford it, so this is only the first step to getting my A500 running downloaded stuff.

It's weird, I'm really not the biggest fan of Amiga/eurogames in general but it's a very fun system to play and hack around with. I also absolutely love demos, so I'm probably going to be using this as a demo jukebox a lot :420:

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

TheRedEye posted:

I'm sold! I'm selling my Framemeister this week to pay for an NT Mini. I'll be using my 14" PVM as my primary video display. The Framemeister has taken a backseat because our new 4K LG is terrible at upscaling square pixels (even 1080p content!). I'll need the 4k successor to the Framemeister to enjoy my games on a big screen again.

Have any of you experimented with connecting a JAMMA board to a PVM? I have a Euro SCART to BNC cable, so I should just need: a game, a SCART-capable SuperGun with a power supply and a cobbled together arcade controller. I'm foolhardy enough to think I can get most of this stuff on AliExpress. Am I entering a world of pain here?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Random Stranger posted:

The Japanese Virtua Stick is super legit tho, has actual arcade buttons and an OK handle.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Japanese Virtua Stick is super legit tho, has actual arcade buttons and an OK handle.
This is truth, I put a Seimitsu LS-58 in mine, it needs some washers to lower it to a normal height but works beautifully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I respect the opinion on the Sega Saturn stick I bought, but for ten dollars, it kicks all kinds of rear end when playing stuff like Parodius.

• Locked thread