Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
On the advice of this thread, I looked on the verizon store for the pixel and they have one available to buy online: xl, black 128gb, just what I want.

Question: I am on t-mobile. The verizon ones are unlocked, get the updates at the same time, and have 3 verizon apps on which I can just uninstall. Are the verizon pixels any different otherwise? Can I use my verizon pixel with t-mobile? I've got the sim already.

edit: loving lol, it will ship march 21. Google is missing the boat here. At this point I should wait to see what else is coming out.

edit 2: VVV this is "retail full price". They still would need me to get a plan?

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It'll work just fine except that I'm pretty sure Verizon won't let you buy a phone without a plan.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Verizon Pixel works fine on T-Mobile, and there are no differences unless you want to root it. If you do want to root it, then the difference matters and you'd have to be careful so you don't brick your phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

redreader posted:

On the advice of this thread, I looked on the verizon store for the pixel and they have one available to buy online: xl, black 128gb, just what I want.

Question: I am on t-mobile. The verizon ones are unlocked, get the updates at the same time, and have 3 verizon apps on which I can just uninstall. Are the verizon pixels any different otherwise? Can I use my verizon pixel with t-mobile? I've got the sim already.

edit: loving lol, it will ship march 21. Google is missing the boat here. At this point I should wait to see what else is coming out.

edit 2: VVV this is "retail full price". They still would need me to get a plan?

Even if they do require plan, you might be able to do some dumb pay as you go 1 day thing. I don't actually know, but something to check.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm dumb and bought an LG G5 after having great luck with the G3. My third replacement is supposed to be arriving today and I really don't know what to do with this loving phone. I don't follow the phone game much but is it common for a phone to be so unreliable?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oneplus is being oneplus again:
https://www.xda-developers.com/two-critical-oneplus-33t-bootloader-security-flaws-discovered-one-patched-and-other-being-addressed/

I just copied this poo poo from reddit because :effort:

quote:

TLDR:- With a combination of the vulnerabilities , you can even push a root app to the phone before entering credentials and it boots with no warning from verified boot , dm-verity is disabled , bootloader unlocked (says locked though) and with 'Enable OEM unlock' disabled and most of the vulnerabilities are fastboot commands.

The flaw works by sending a proprietary, hidden fastboot command: fastboot oem 4F500301. By sending this command, the user’s bootloader lock state is bypassed (even when “Allow OEM Unlocking” has not been enabled in Developer Settings). The device does not prompt the user nor does it wipe the device as it should be – in fact, the device will still report that the bootloader is locked! Another fastboot command, fastboot oem 4F500302, will reset some bootloader settings, and can be used to lock an already unlocked device.

^ What the loving gently caress ?

CVE-2017-5626 can be used to execute kernel code. An attacker can flash any boot image they want. Though, if they flash a modified boot image Verified Boot will kick in and warn the user that a modification has been detected. One way that this can be bypassed is to flash an older, unmodified boot image – one that contains older exploits which have since been patched. Even so, the “warning” that you are given only lasts for 5 seconds, and it automatically dismisses itself and boots into the verifiedboot state where the attacker’s code will still execute.

So at this point you're booting into the system just like any other time without any warning from verified boot and the bootloader will say locked if you go into fastboot and 'Enable OEM unlock' option off while you have a device with an unlocked bootloader and a older boot image that contains additional vulnerabilities.

Mr. Hay mentions that there are a ton of ways that this flaw can be exploited in a malicious manner. For instance, he modified a boot image to set the SELinux mode to permissive as well as automatically include ADB access on boot. Then, after exploiting this vulnerability to flash his modified boot image, he was able to access a root shell before the user can even enter their credentials.

Now he go aheads and flashes a modified boot image with permissive SELinux and ADB access on boot and is able to access a root shell before the user enters their credentials.

The second vulnerability, labeled CVE-2017-5624, affects all versions of OxygenOS and allows one to disable dm-verity. One only needs to issue a single fastboot command to disable (or enable) dm-verity: fastboot oem disable dm-verity. 

So now with just another fastboot command dm-verity is also disabled.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

wandler20 posted:

I'm dumb and bought an LG G5 after having great luck with the G3. My third replacement is supposed to be arriving today and I really don't know what to do with this loving phone. I don't follow the phone game much but is it common for a phone to be so unreliable?

It's a problem with LG phones, unfortunately.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of their software being absolute garbage with examples of the above, what are the thoughts on DASH charging?

From what I have read, it sounds like something that QuickCharge or Fast/Rapid charge for USB-C Should have been, where it offloads the work onto the charger and allows the phone to fast charge without heating up which ends up shortening the life of the battery.

While USB-C fast charging standards and charger/cable quality are a friggin clusterfuk still, it still sounds like DASH is/was a good idea but how is it in real life use?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Sup G5 buddy, still on my first wish me luck.

Ihmemies posted:

Oneplus is being oneplus again:

lmao

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

But the specs!!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XYZ posted:

Sup G5 buddy, still on my first wish me luck.

Good luck!

I actually like the phone when it's working so maybe "third times a charm".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Return it or sell it for what you can and get something else

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Never settle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But did you see all that RAM?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This doesn't affect the most recently OS version and requires physical access to the phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

This doesn't affect the most recently OS version and requires physical access to the phone.

Oh nevermind then. I guess they're a competent company after all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
-OPO phones start spraying searing acid out of the headphone port

"It can be used in self defense!"

-OPO phones start randomly uploading pictures of user's dicks to various social media sites

"Well, at least someone will see it now".

-OPO phone displays start spontaneously shattering and shooting razor sharp chunks of glass at people's eyes

"Well, now I get to take advantage of my health plan at work!"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Funnily enough, they released a new OS version today, and it's still on December 2016 security patch level.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Funnily enough, they released a new OS version today, and it's still on December 2016 security patch level.

My Motorola is on the July '16 security patch. :negative:

I wish they'd get their poo poo together cause their phones are pretty not-bad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Given that exploit it sounds like they're on the December 2011 security patch level.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh nevermind then. I guess they're a competent company after all.

I mean, it's not great to have exploits possible, but ones which require physical access to the phone are not even on the same level as:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstec...romise/%3famp=1

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hahahahaha

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

wandler20 posted:

There's some evidence to suggest the bootloop issue (which I'm assuming is what you're having trouble with) is a problem inherent to the Snapdragon 808. Something about one or more of the cores failing. No real fix though.

edit: whoops, wrong gen.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 10, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jacobus Spades posted:

There's some evidence to suggest the bootloop issue (which I'm assuming is what you're having trouble with) is a problem inherent to the Snapdragon 808. Something about one or more of the cores failing. No real fix though.
The G5 doesn't have an 808.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jacobus Spades posted:

It happens with multiple generations of LG phones and can be temporarily fixed by putting it in the freezer or oven.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

The G5 doesn't have an 808.

Neither does the 6p.

In contrast, the Moto X 2015 has an 808 and I haven't heard anything in regards to boot loops.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Oops, for some reason I was thinking v10 which also had an 808, don't know how I transposed the two in my brain.

edit: I'd seen reports about the Moto X also getting boot loops, as well as a Lumia running Win 10 using the 808. Moot point though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
is there a way to stop the background from scrolling on my pixel's home screen when i swipe?

i mean, i know there is, but i had to do a factory reset and now i can't find that option

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

is there a way to stop the background from scrolling on my pixel's home screen when i swipe?

i mean, i know there is, but i had to do a factory reset and now i can't find that option

On the Pixel Launcher? No.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

On the Pixel Launcher? No.

then is there away to crop larger images that i'm missing? i know i managed to lock my homescreen as one image that didn't scroll before, and i loathe alternate launchers

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

then is there away to crop larger images that i'm missing? i know i managed to lock my homescreen as one image that didn't scroll before, and i loathe alternate launchers

Not built into it, but there's no reason you can't use an image sized to your screen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Not built into it, but there's no reason you can't use an image sized to your screen.

This is bugging the poo poo out of me because I know I had my wallpaper set to not scroll before today, and now that I did a reset to fix an insane bug I can't do it again

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This is bugging the poo poo out of me because I know I had my wallpaper set to not scroll before today, and now that I did a reset to fix an insane bug I can't do it again

Wallpapers are backed up to Google automatically, it should be the same wallpaper you had before without you having to do anything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This is not really an answer, but why? Nova launcher is awesome. It has the options you're looking for.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Nova launcher is one of the few things good enough I even used my survey funbux to upgrade to premium or w/e it is

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

This is not really an answer, but why? Nova launcher is awesome. It has the options you're looking for.

I am massively resistant to change because my brain is broken

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I am massively resistant to change because my brain is broken
Stock->Nova is one of the best upgrades you can make. Do it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is the 3rd gen Moto g still getting security updates? I'm thinking about getting a 5th gen plus once it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sereri posted:

Is the 3rd gen Moto g still getting security updates? I'm thinking about getting a 5th gen plus once it comes out.

Considering my 4th gen is still on a 7 month old security patch....uhhhm. Don't expect frequent or timely updates from Motorola.

Also, Nova launcher is awesome. I bought it the first day I tried it.