Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think Suiryu will turn into a monster. It's harder to get with girls if you're a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schwarzwald posted:

He ran off after the judges called him out for identity theft.

Yeah, if he were there Saitama would have just punched Goketsu already. He is a hero after all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The theme of this comic is humans (at least individually) basically don't get killed by anyone but once you are a monster it's like the end of Robocop and you are fair game to get immediately ganked.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also being a monster is kinda like a deal with the devil. Humans have unlimited potential as long as you keep believing in yourself. Monsters are a quick route to gain a shitload more power, but you become stuck and can no longer grow. It's perfect for people with low willpower, or at least it would be if every monster didn't get immediately killed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elentor posted:

Humans have unlimited potential as long as you keep believing in yourself.

I'm pretty sure that just isn't true in this comic. Some humans have potential to become tremendously powerful, but not everyone. Mumen Rider, for example, is probably not ever going to shoot lasers or bench a bus or reduce Geno to fine art, regardless of how much he pushes himself or how hard he tries.

None-the-less, Mumen Rider is a real hero with genuine strength and he's my friend--and that's true regardless of what the scouter says about his power level.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

He totally could, all he has to do is follow Saitama's training regimen.

But Licenseless Rider is to busy being a hero to do that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm pretty sure that just isn't true in this comic. Some humans have potential to become tremendously powerful, but not everyone.

Yeah, the way they explained monsterification is that it allows one to progress past their natural limit, thus making them much stronger.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mumen Rider is not obsessed with power. Saitama literally wanted to become a hero who one-punched monsters, Suiryu wanted to be so strong he would beat anyone and have a easy life, Tanktop genuinely believes his tanktop gives him unnatural strength.

As long as you're dumb enough to believe you don't have limits, you won't. Mumen doesn't care about those things, he only wants to do what he feels is right. That's why he's a true hero.

Edit: I bet Genos is going to be the first character to figure out that the reason he can't be as strong as Saitama is because he overthinks it too much and thus can never be as naive as he was.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This whole tournament arc i was waiting to get to the fireworks factory, yet this is also very, very good and worth it. I love this manga.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Metal Bat is just guy with a metal bat, a short temper, a great hairstyle, a big heart and a scarier little sister

also some dark power within him that makes him leagues stronger when in great pain

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's literally the shounen fighting spirit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mumen Rider is the greatest hero

My phone correctly predicts that whole sentence now

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Elentor posted:

It's literally the shounen fighting spirit.

please don't talk down his great strength

Metal Bat banging his bat in the pavement causing cars across the street to jump in the air is still the best poo poo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

My phone correctly predicts that whole sentence now

Technology rules.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Metal Bat is just guy with a metal bat, a short temper, a great hairstyle, a big heart and a scarier little sister

also some dark power within him that makes him leagues stronger when in great pain

It's not dark power, it's pure and good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's not dark power, it's pure and good.
it's some berserk Berserker Armor poo poo it ain't right. The sweet boy just uses it for good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

it's some berserk Berserker Armor poo poo it ain't right. The sweet boy just uses it for good

Nah man, it's just fighting spirit. The purest thing there is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm pretty sure that just isn't true in this comic. Some humans have potential to become tremendously powerful, but not everyone. Mumen Rider, for example, is probably not ever going to shoot lasers or bench a bus or reduce Geno to fine art, regardless of how much he pushes himself or how hard he tries.

None-the-less, Mumen Rider is a real hero with genuine strength and he's my friend--and that's true regardless of what the scouter says about his power level.

And Saitama

had the least potential of all. But he never let it stop him. And look how that turned out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

El Burbo posted:

I don't think Suiryu will turn into a monster. It's harder to get with girls if you're a monster

not if you're trying to get with monster girls

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

not if you're trying to get with monster girls

No, i think that's true for them too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you wish, nerd

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

EmmyOk posted:

Mumen Rider is the greatest hero

:agreed: Mumen Rider would never eat monster cells. If Saitama ever gets another disciple, I hope it's him.

Moltrey posted:

Metal Bat banging his bat in the pavement causing cars across the street to jump in the air is still the best poo poo

:yeah:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

And Saitama

had the least potential of all. But he never let it stop him. And look how that turned out.

I dunno dude he de-eyed a lobster man with 0 training and a necktie

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I like Lin-Lin's character design and I hope she doesn't get wrecked by monsters or former humans who are now monsters

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MiniFoo posted:

I like Lin-Lin's character design and I hope she doesn't get wrecked by monsters or former humans who are now monsters

Chun-Li, age 12.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Jedah posted:

:agreed: Mumen Rider would never eat monster cells. If Saitama ever gets another disciple, I hope it's him.

Saitama would never take his friend and equal as a lesser disciple.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Elfgames posted:

I dunno dude he de-eyed a lobster man with 0 training and a necktie

that was the moment he first rebelled against his lovely, lovely place in the world

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Saitama would never take his friend and equal as a lesser disciple.

You're probably right, I just want Mumen Rider to become stronger. Not necessarily S Class power, just a bump in strength. Even if he became the top B-class hero, I think that'd be pretty cool. Wouldn't he be the perfect candidate to follow Saitama's daily training routine, since he also has incredible will power?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You do realize the whole "Saitama's training routine" thing is a joke, right? It's not the routine that makes Saitama the strongest, he just is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jedah posted:

You're probably right, I just want Mumen Rider to become stronger. Not necessarily S Class power, just a bump in strength.

Same here. The guy can already take an incredible beating. Imagine how much more he could sacrifice himself to save other people if he was strong enough to throw vending machines around one-handed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Chun-Li, age 12.

Ah yes, the polar opposite of Saitama: Many Kicks Woman.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

You do realize the whole "Saitama's training routine" thing is a joke, right? It's not the routine that makes Saitama the strongest, he just is.

It may be a joke, but it's not a joke when Mumen Rider constantly gets his rear end kicked, and has to depend on other heroes to escape tough situations. Dude is gonna get himself killed one day because of his bravery. Why not make him just a little bit stronger?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

Suiryu's about to murder the lot of them so I wouldn't be super worried about that

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jedah posted:

It may be a joke, but it's not a joke when Mumen Rider constantly gets his rear end kicked, and has to depend on other heroes to escape tough situations. Dude is gonna get himself killed one day because of his bravery. Why not make him just a little bit stronger?

Because the whole joke is that he is literally just a dude on bike?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The joke is that the routine is what made him strong. The House of Evolution guy laughed at him, but you're not supposed to be on his side, there's nothing else to it. Saitama accidentally discovered the secret to ultimate strength but nobody will believe him because it's too mundane.

The irony is that it probably won't work for the only person trying to emulate him, Genos, because he's a cyborg.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

It is the routine though. It's exactly what Saitama did. He's not being funny in recounting it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

e X posted:

Because the whole joke is that he is literally just a dude on bike?

That was the joke but at this point it sort of cheapens him if he gets to get stronger.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jedah posted:

You're probably right, I just want Mumen Rider to become stronger. Not necessarily S Class power, just a bump in strength. Even if he became the top B-class hero, I think that'd be pretty cool. Wouldn't he be the perfect candidate to follow Saitama's daily training routine, since he also has incredible will power?

Thing is, Common Rider's very useful to the hero association right where he is now.

A hero can only go up in letter grade (apparently) by being top of his class. Right now, the semi-permanent C-1 hero is Common Rider, which means if you want to be promoted to B rank, you have to surpass him.

No one, absolutely no one is more heroic or has more justice in their heart that Common Rider. This means you can't make it to the B class by trying hard or being a swell guy, you have to have genuine strength. Not just a little--enough to make up for the degree by which you fall short of the heroic ideal. Because Common Rider's squatting at the top of C class, everyone in B class can theoretically be trusted to fight monsters and outperform the police.

The other top rank holders are similar... there are only two ways to get promoted past the Blizzard group. You can prove that you can suppress your pride and work as part of a larger heroic organization to get the blizzard group's support and be let past, or you can be comically stronger that Fubuki, which is... rare. So everyone in A class either can work as part of a heroic team in a large organization without making waves, or is so strong they don't need to. And you can't be promoted to S class because Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has opinions. Opinions about heroism.

The class system breaks down super hard if it weren't for these three heroes squatting at their respective power levels, helping the Hero Organization sort out the talent from the ambitious weirdos in a costume their mom made.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sarcophallus posted:

It is the routine though. It's exactly what Saitama did. He's not being funny in recounting it.

Correct this means that Saitama naturally had the potential to be a super strong dude. As there are tons of people heroes or not that have worked way harder then him for their strength and don't even come close to his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Shugojin posted:

That was the joke but at this point it sort of cheapens him if he gets to get stronger.

Sorry, I don't quite get what you are trying to say here. My point is, this is still a comedy manga and hopefully will remain one, so I don't think we will ever get the usual power creep from characters, unless it actually feeds into a joke, e.g. Genos getting owned after yet another power increase.