Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Psycho Society posted:

This game reminds me of the Deadliest Warrior fighting game for the xbox 360, did anyone ever play that? poo poo was the best for getting stoned and repeatedly murdering your room mates

The game has passed and was sort of cheap but certainly not forgotten! Perhaps one day For Honor will give us the possibility once again of choosing William Wallace and shouting "piss and shite!" at player two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So even though its high activity and theres 14k players, I have not been able to get into any games today

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

So even though its high activity and theres 14k players, I have not been able to get into any games today

No wonder they went P2P, they can't even get the matchmaking server working right!!!!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yesterday: Every game mode threw me into a match in less than a minute. "Low Activity"

Today: "VERY High Activity" Searching for players for 20 minutes on each game mode. No games.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Something clicked after playing begrudgingly for about four hours. The warlord. The Viking with the sword and shield -- I demolish with him

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

Yesterday: Every game mode threw me into a match in less than a minute. "Low Activity"

Today: "VERY High Activity" Searching for players for 20 minutes on each game mode. No games.

There is simply too much activity to sort through. The internet tubes are clogged with activity.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Trillhouse posted:

Guard breaks are probably the hardest thing to get a handle on when you're starting. You need to anticipate them anytime you're in range unless they're mid attack. "Guard break beats guard, guard beats attack, attack beats guard break" is a good maxim to remember.

Don't get too hung up on Counter Guard Breaking. I know it makes logical sense that the counter to GB is CGB, but light attacks are a better counter against players spamming GB. The CGB is hard to hit unless you have a ton of fighting game experience, and even the top For Honor players miss them often.

A good basic strategy against this type of player is to use an opener that closes distances and attack, then start stringing light attacks together (heavy too if you're character has faster heavies). Don't even worry about guarding. Keep attacking (be very aggressive) and none of his guard breaks will work and, because he's not blocking, all your shots will land clean. If he starts blocking, throw or a guard break instantly, throw him off a ledge or into a wall. When you run out of stamina, retreat.

The key is aggression. Dont worry about CGB for now. Just go all out on GB spammers.

Thanks, aggression was definitely key and my gameplay has improved immeasurably now I've begun to rely more on light attacks. Before I was playing way too passively and only trying to land heavy attacks, but chipping away and interrupting using light attacks is definitely a very important skill to have under your belt.

I've gotten a step up on other players in that even though I suck at using environmental hazards and throws to easily win encounters, I'm also a fair bit better at parrying than other people in my low skill bracket. People don't even seem to try doing it, which is great for me because it means I can just keep getting my free hits on them over and over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just figured out how to deflect poo poo as Assassin characters and it makes a whole lotta difference

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Also is there some reason why I cant re-map my xbox controller like my key board? I hate how you run, its killing my left hand.

You can remapp the keyboard in anyway you want, but the controller plays better in my experience even if you can barely change it.
\/\/\/\/

Gaj fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 11, 2017

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I like this game but using the mouse to control attack/block direction is killing me. Do y'all use controllers? Or is there an alternate mouse and keyboard configuration?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You can increase the sensitivity for the guard, and also I believe you can bind manual keys for it too?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Holy crap I'm kinda regretting starting with Conqueror. Shield users have it so easy. I'm trying out Kensei to finish a quest (or whatever they're called) and getting my rear end handed to me.

Also; wanna give a shout out to the bot names. Personal favorite being WeThePizza. :newlol:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Continuing the fighting game comparisons: high rank/renown players dropping out of the match just before it ends in a victory for my rank 6 butt. I have to believe it still counts as a loss on your precious record, you babies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gimbal lock posted:

Expect the faction war to bloom into something that has more meaning eventually. It's a little spartan right now and is missing stuff that gives players more control over its results. It's like fish out of water right now.

They really need a mode where you have to play with people on your faction and have to play classes of your faction. I can't believe it doesn't exist yet and I can only hope that its actually in the full game at release. If it isn't... I don't understand the devs. But I imagine regardless it'll get patched in someday.

I mean that seems like the whole point of faction war to me.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It seems like such a simple fix to give these people what they actually want though and hell, I'd like it to - 1v1 lobbies. Join a 1 v 1 Duel alone or in a group, go into a lobby, rotate through. Winner stays in, loser goes back to spectating.

Yeah its been suggested in thread like 10 times now. The devs need to get on it and create a lobby duel mode.

Chomp8645 posted:

There is simply too much activity to sort through. The internet tubes are clogged with activity.

Its not a big truck!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 11, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I started on controller by recommendation of two of my friends, but wound up switching to mouse and keyboard when I was struggling and now I couldn't imagine going back. You'd think flicking the stick would feel much more natural with the combat system being the way it is, but I find mouse controls way faster to parse. Maybe it's having all the buttons right next to each other for your attacks and guard break rather than spread out across the controller.

One thing I can definitely say is that aiming catapult shots is clunky as gently caress on a controller. Activating skills feels a lot less mushy when it's just the 1 - 4 keys.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So uh you just press the guard break button to counter opponent guard breaks right? I was told it was heavy attack by a friend and i've not been having any success.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Mash guard break when they go to do it, or pre-emptively swatting at them with light attacks is a good deterrent to prevent them trying. Enemies can't guard break you in the middle of attacks if that's what your friend is trying to say.

Heavy attacks in the same direction of your enemy's attack when the maker flashes is a parry, which staggers your enemy and guarantees your next guard break will land.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So uh you just press the guard break button to counter opponent guard breaks right? I was told it was heavy attack by a friend and i've not been having any success.

Heavy attack is for parrying :goleft:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yes. It sounds like either you misunderstood your friend when he was talking about parries, which is where you actually use heavy attack, or he misunderstood you/the game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Glenn Quebec posted:

Something clicked after playing begrudgingly for about four hours. The warlord. The Viking with the sword and shield -- I demolish with him

he is the only class i have issues with as a nobushi

gently caress his blocking and stunning and unblocksble bullsit fuckery

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It is bullshit. It's literally left mouse click and then right mouse click. A quick attack with an unblockable follow-up lol its the worst.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I got a nobushi mad at me yesterday for playing a nobushi.

"Bleed damage isn't honorable!!!"

Then what the gently caress are you doing :confused:

Also I learned you can end her three light combo with the super long reaching bleeding poke move when you hold back on the right stick and tap light attack. Three bleed hits in a row ain't just for peacemakers :gibs:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

he is the only class i have issues with as a nobushi

gently caress his blocking and stunning and unblocksble bullsit fuckery

Yeah, the headbutt remains amazingly powerful even without the mixup. Very short windup, knocks back, can't be dodged backwards, window for sideways dodging is very narrow, and worst of all it's almost entirely safe. So even when you do manage to anticipate it (because good luck dodging it on reaction alone) and dodge it, chances are you you don't even get to punish it. Some characters have a decent chance at interrupting it with a light attack, but the slower ones are kind of boned.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Played a 1v1 against a Warden who must have been a big deal, because he had fancy engraved armor and a laurel next to his rank. Blocked enough of his attacks to trigger revenge, whereupon the warden sheathed his weapon and tried to cheese it. Cue about 8 seconds of me sprinting after him keystone cops style before I used the conqueror's running shield slam to sack him like a football player. It was completely absurd and a hilariously undignified way to end the match. I love this game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sooo... good game?

(ed) Oh, the beta's free? Well then, guess I'll see for myself.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How can people complain about honorabru combat when you're playing anything other than 1v1 duels? You literally win or lose based on how much teamwork you have in Dominion especially and part of teamwork is having sombody to jump in and start stabbing the dude that's beating you in the back.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I think they should spawn people closer together in 4v4 elimination. All the fast characters just immediately run off to gang up on someone and the heavies are left huffing and puffing just trying to catch up to fights. But eh gently caress 4v4 anyway, I'm really just doing this for the stupid contract. For the no-frills multi duels I think 2v2 is the best number.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nothing unlocked in the beta carries over into the full game right?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How can people complain about honorabru combat when you're playing anything other than 1v1 duels?

Oh don't worry, people bitch about honor in 1v1 too.

Doing a thing I don't like; DISHONORABLE :qq:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

Continuing the fighting game comparisons: high rank/renown players dropping out of the match just before it ends in a victory for my rank 6 butt. I have to believe it still counts as a loss on your precious record, you babies.

the amount of teams that go 0-2 and then spend a round sprinting away like loving wimps constantly is annoying as gently caress

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I got called DISSONORABRU today for wrecking an Orochi with the Raider's dodge>pommel>light>guardbreak>running slam.

Feels good to be a Viking.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The P2P was unstable in 50% of games last night, and my strategy of "forgetting the tutorial, mashing buttons, and flailing the sticks randomly" did not seem to work very well, but this game seems pretty cool. I found I can be useful just running side routes to C and A and capping them since any time I see another player they instantly annihilate me =(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I met an Orochi today who entered the Matrix fully and utterly destroyed me

Every drat attack he dodged and countered me instantly. I literally didn't land a single attack on that FUCKER

HE WAS AWESOME AND I HATE HIM

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I will never be that good with any one class because I like playing all of them too much to specialize in one single character for 5000 hours like these dudes do

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I thought Kensei with double throw range was intense, but I just got a double throw range shield for the conqueror and can just chuck people into walls from like, 5 feet away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Controller or KBM?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Warden talk: Can you guard break smoothly out of a shoulder charge or do you HAVE to hard cancel out of the charge before hitting guard break again? Do you even have to hit it again?

http://i.imgur.com/QGCgmCy.gifv
(out of a guard break > side light light > shoulder charge > side light light > shoulder charge (cancel?) > guard break > top light)

I can make it happen but not consistently so I'm pretty confused-- sometimes I'll just be holding down square the whole time after charging up the shoulder charge, and tapping circle at some point will get it to cancel and my guy automatically starts a guard break. But I don't really know how late you can hit circle or if you have to hit it at all.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

Controller or KBM?

Whichever you want imo. I personally am a little bit better at playing with KBM, but you wanna remap the throw, shieldbreak or whatever it's name is. It's mapped to the middle mousebutton by default and that's really akward.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

mellowjournalism posted:

Warden talk: Can you guard break smoothly out of a shoulder charge or do you HAVE to hard cancel out of the charge before hitting guard break again? Do you even have to hit it again?

http://i.imgur.com/QGCgmCy.gifv
(out of a guard break > side light light > shoulder charge > side light light > shoulder charge (cancel?) > guard break > top light)

I can make it happen but not consistently so I'm pretty confused-- sometimes I'll just be holding down square the whole time after charging up the shoulder charge, and tapping circle at some point will get it to cancel and my guy automatically starts a guard break. But I don't really know how late you can hit circle or if you have to hit it at all.

Yeah he's cancelling the second shoulder charge into the guard break. The timing is pretty tight on it but it's good for messing up their heads.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Gaj posted:

I'm so confused I been playing all morning with less then 20 second wait time between matches...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tormented posted:

I'm so confused I been playing all morning with less then 20 second wait time between matches...

Yes it is extremely confusing how different people could experience different connections.