Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spangly A posted:

you can't simply switch to being good journalists. It requires a shitload of resources, money, and time. There aren't enough journalits left at all, and if we remove the human opportunity cost that most of them represent, even less.

What do you mean by this exactly? I'm having trouble parsing it.

Just that there are fewer practicing good journalists than potential ones because of lack of resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, has this article been posted here, yet?

It's pretty drat good. It's not organizing-specific, but it's about as solid a call-to-arms (literal or figurative) as I've seen.

https://medium.com/@tuckerfitzgerald/intolerant-liberals-4ecd712ac939#.3s9aedkt9

quote:

I have some difficult news for everyone: Progressives aren’t interested in diversity. We aren’t interested in inclusion. We aren’t interested in tolerance. The progressives I know give exactly zero shits about those things.

We have no interest in everyone getting treated the same. We have no interest in giving all ideas equal airtime. We have no interest in “tolerating” all beliefs. I don’t know where this fairy tale comes from, but it’s completely disconnected from every experience I’ve had with progressive liberal folks in my lifetime.

When conservatives cross their arms and glare and shout “It’s not fair! You’re supposed to welcome everyone but you aren’t being nice to me!” it stings about as much as if they shouted, “It’s not fair, you’re supposed to be wearing tutus and juggling flaming donuts!”

The progressive liberal agenda isn’t about being nice. It’s about confronting evil, violence, trauma, and death. It’s about acknowledging the ways systemic power, systemic oppression, systemic evil, work in our world around us. I’m not fighting for diversity. I’m not fighting for tolerance. I’m fighting to overturn horrific systems of dehumanizing oppression.

And it goes on quite a bit from there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What do you mean by this exactly? I'm having trouble parsing it.

Just that there are fewer practicing good journalists than potential ones because of lack of resources?

No, I'm saying that press journalists who repeat wire stories after factchecking on wiki are a loving human opportunity cost. They're not useful. They sit in said job repeating editorial line and doing no investigative or critical work. Jesus, I'm hearing that only teen vogue have the balls to take on trump, and not seeing much evidence against. It's not about deciding what your own personal truth is, I'm saying that I would suspect a lot of journalists don't have the skillsets required to ever pull off a watergate moment. And not that any journalist should aim or require a watergate moment, but the total lack of basic critical skills is evident.

There's more to discuss about the structure of the news as an industry but I'm not as well versed on that side of American media as I am the british, because it's basically just a matter of following the trail of corruption around Murdoch.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spangly A posted:

I'm saying that I would suspect a lot of journalists don't have the skillsets required to ever pull off a watergate moment. And not that any journalist should aim or require a watergate moment, but the total lack of basic critical skills is evident.

This isn't really true and I think you need to more carefully define who you mean by journalists.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This isn't really true and I think you need to more carefully define who you mean by journalists.

Why? Hacks who write for papers are still journalists

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

quote:

...Security forces are often reluctant to use violence against crowds that might include their neighbors or relatives.
This is...a very good point. Is there some way we can prioritize recruiting within the families of the military and the police? I think police and military personnel themselves might be contractually forbidden from protesting, but their families would be under no such restriction and could form a useful front line for discouraging police violence against demonstrations and protests.

Also, in regards to the violence/non-violence angle, exactly what do the American pro-violence people think we can accomplish against the most heavily armed, technically advanced, and casually brutal military force in the world? Or one of the most heavily armed, technically advanced, and vehemently militaristic police forces on the planet? They. Will. Annihilate. Us. If. We. Get. Violent. What've we got? Rocks, spray-paint, maybe some gasoline in a beer bottle? They have assault rifles, drones, bombs, chemical weapons that literally melt your skin, battle plans drawn up by people who kill people professionally, and nukes.

Going the path of violence is going to be an excellent way to serve up America on a platter to Bannon and the Republican regime.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

enki42 posted:

That's a strawman, the argument isn't between "parades" and violent protest, it's between non-violent resistance (which includes direct action and civil disobedience) and violent resistance.

And here's some evidence:

p = .000???? yeah fuckin' right m80

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

So, has this article been posted here, yet?

It's pretty drat good. It's not organizing-specific, but it's about as solid a call-to-arms (literal or figurative) as I've seen.

https://medium.com/@tuckerfitzgerald/intolerant-liberals-4ecd712ac939#.3s9aedkt9

And it goes on quite a bit from there.

This is a bit long, but its a great read. If you read this and you don't want to bash some heads in, you might not be a human being.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This is a bit long, but its a great read. If you read this and you don't want to bash some heads in, you might not be a human being.

I also really enjoyed this and have shared it with everyone I possibly can.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Spangly A posted:

No, I'm saying that press journalists who repeat wire stories after factchecking on wiki are a loving human opportunity cost. They're not useful. They sit in said job repeating editorial line and doing no investigative or critical work. Jesus, I'm hearing that only teen vogue have the balls to take on trump, and not seeing much evidence against. It's not about deciding what your own personal truth is, I'm saying that I would suspect a lot of journalists don't have the skillsets required to ever pull off a watergate moment. And not that any journalist should aim or require a watergate moment, but the total lack of basic critical skills is evident.

There's more to discuss about the structure of the news as an industry but I'm not as well versed on that side of American media as I am the british, because it's basically just a matter of following the trail of corruption around Murdoch.

Do you honestly believe Teen Vogue is the singular publication that has criticized or corrected this administration for all its bullshit? Or are you just concerned that we the people are spending too much salary on bloggers for the Huffington Post?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

teen vogue's the only one with a gang tag tho

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

Do you honestly believe Teen Vogue is the singular publication that has criticized or corrected this administration for all its bullshit? Or are you just concerned that we the people are spending too much salary on bloggers for the Huffington Post?

you don't appear capable of getting the point so here it is again

an organisation doesnt "decide" to get better at reporting stories. It increases the density of its reporting coverage. It hires more reporters. And it makes sure they're slightly better at following down stories than repeating a wire.

British journalism used to have a 2 verified source standard (not wire). Now a story goes to press with wire coverage, of 4-5 people per major city. It is nowhere near enough to be able to actually cover everything of interest. American journalism also uses the wire/reuters method. It does not allow for good journalism.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
At Gus Bilirakis town hall in Pasco county, FL right now. Gus getting crushed. Never seen so many pissed off subrbanites.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
At the Moral Movement march with my church at Raleigh; this has been happening for 11 years, a sort of joining between the NAACP and various other churches and organizations.

It's a bit more crowded than it's been other years, crowded all up Fayetteville st. If anyone needs a medicine for melancholy or loneliness, I say to find a protest and bury yourself in the crowd. :)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I've actually joined the NAACP myself. If the group focuses on education and police retraining, like it has been, I think it could easily grow in influence and respect among people. The Moral Movement also seems like it's doing good work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kekekela posted:

At Gus Bilirakis town hall in Pasco county, FL right now. Gus getting crushed. Never seen so many pissed off subrbanites.

My home county doing me proud :unsmith:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kekekela posted:

Representatives really are THE single most vulnerable group of politicians and absolutely should be heavily targeted. Make moderate Republicans afraid to go along with Trump on every issue and make moderate Democrats afraid of being primaried from the left if they don't chain themselves to an ICE deportation van.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We had a rather enormous Planned Parenthood rally in my Republican town this morning. Sadly my kids had hockey but our local NPR affiliate came through with pictures. Here's my personal favorite.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its getting well covered on CNN right now! Lots of video from the Q and A.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Kekekela posted:

Its getting well covered on CNN right now! Lots of video from the Q and A.

was that the meeting where one of the presenters said there were death panels for people aged 74 and where he said "ok children" when everyone booed?

because just watching that made my blood boil

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Annual Prophet posted:

was that the meeting where one of the presenters said there were death panels for people aged 74 and where he said "ok children" when everyone booed?

because just watching that made my blood boil

Yeah, that's the one! There were so many people inside and outside the room (including us) shouting that guy down.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, that's the one! There were so many people inside and outside the room (including us) shouting that guy down.

sincere kudos to you for being there

these people have to be resisted and confronted, it's something all of us need to be doing, and that I look forward to doing

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kekekela posted:

I was also at this meeting this morning. It was heartening to see how many people are truly pissed off. I met many good people there and it has restored my faith in America if people in loving Pasco County can get out like this and protest.

Gus is an absolute slimeball and that Akins guy basically asked to be booed off the stage and yelled at with his remarks at the beginning of his speech. I have a videos that I'm going to upload to Youtube in a bit. It's really sad how people in favor of keeping the ACA (and in favor of single payer) had personal stories extolling the virtues of the ACA while assholes like Akins basically lied through their teeth to defend repealing it.

Also Akins is apparently a birther and out of the closet racist: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.12dbf8b20e26

edit: here's the full video of Akins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5aON2G6wHc

My favorite part is how he asks everyone to hold their boos and treat him with respect as people are being polite and letting him speak.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 12, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

We had a rather enormous Planned Parenthood rally in my Republican town this morning. Sadly my kids had hockey but our local NPR affiliate came through with pictures. Here's my personal favorite.

thats awesome. Where I live there were about six anti-pp protesters and about 200 pro-pp protesters

some of the signs were pretty good

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Another video of a cool old lady at the Bilirakis town hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_rXyN2AmT0

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Another video of a cool old lady at the Bilirakis town hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_rXyN2AmT0

i like the title of that video

because they unironically are scum, because they will stop at nothing, up to and including voting for measures that will result in tragedy for vulnerable people, and spew outright lies as part of doing so, all to be sure they and those they serve pocket more dollars

it's loving disgusting and they deserve to be reviled, name called, belittled, ostracized and rejected

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you have a local chapter of Black Lives Matter or associated groups, I would look into what they're doing and if you can help out.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
More on Death Panel guy from the Bilirakis event.

So happy to see how much coverage that garnered, as I don't feel like the pressure will let up on our end. These are your typical apathetic Americans that have finally gotten pushed to get their fat asses off the couch, which is a monumental hurdle to clear and I feel like its not just going to be a flash in the pan. Also I feel like the attention garnered is going to be part of a major positive feedback loop.

HuffPo: Watch Constituents Flip Out On GOP Official For Claiming Obamacare Has Death Panels
CNN: 'Death panel' disputes erupt at Florida GOP congressman's town hall
WaPo: Official mentions 'death panels' during town hall discussion on healthcare

local coverage:
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/231981-pasco-county-town-hall-gus-bilirakis-hears-overwhelming-sentiment-replace-not-repeal-aca
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/johnwright/gop_congressman_lies_to_constituents_calls_them_children_as_town_hall_protests_continued
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/biliraklis-gets-another-earful-on-obamacare-repeal/2312939
http://www.carbonated.tv/news/republican-constituents-upset-over-obamacare-repeal

Even saw a talking head opining that the protestors must have been paid. This warmed my heart much like when someone at the gym asks if you're juicing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

If Bilirakis actually follows through on his statement to hold another town hall the entire building and the street outside are going to be packed full of angry protestors. I know I am going to bring a co-worker and my sisters this time, and I imagine even more people in the area will be attending after the coverage of the first two events.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I was found this link through my aggregate reads of the day and I think some great information can be gleamed from here. Despite not being an "active" participant, I found the piece as a valuable insight to approaches at organizing at the local base.

" The Labor Movement Must Learn These Lessons From the Election An interview with Jane McAlevey. By D.D. Guttenplan posted:

The Nation: This book came out just before the 2016 election. How early did you know that the Clinton campaign was headed for trouble?

McAlevey: I think the evidence about what was going to go wrong was in the 2010 and 2014 midterms. In some ways, it summarizes my whole critique of the Democratic Party and its key coalition ally, unions. The idea was that they had this Big Data machine that could target the exact voters and gin up turnout—despite all the evidence in 2010 and 2014 that we were actually losing the heartland…. They confused [Obama’s] charisma for a scientific GOTV [get out the vote] operation.

The Nation: Explain what a structure test is, and why the politics we tend to see on the left—progressive politics—evades it.

McAlevey: I’m trying to differentiate between organizing and mobilizing, and [between] polling and survey data versus structure tests… and the difference is crucial.

Those of us who still win hard strikes, or hard union elections, or big contracts, win because we are running a nonstop series of structure tests. The structure test tells us two things. One is: Have we won over the super­majority of what I call the “organic leaders”—the most trusted workers in any workplace? They’re not easily identifiable, so a structure test is how we know if we have them.

The Nation: Explain the difference between organizing and mobilizing.

McAlevey: I try to define “organizing” in really clear terms, because it’s a throwaway term right now—like “democracy.” Everyone talks about democracy without defining what they mean. Most unions and social-change groups will say they’re organizing. I’m arguing that most are not—which is part of why we’re losing.

The core difference to me is: What’s the role of the workers in the actual effort? Are the workers central to their own liberation? Are they central to the strategy to win a change in their workplace and in their communities? Or are they one teeny piece of a really complicated puzzle in which the workers’ voice and opinions are actually not decisive? We are actually running campaigns in this country where the workers’ voice has not been decisive for 15 to 20 years.

The Nation: What about advocacy? How would you distinguish advocacy from [organizing or mobilizing]?

McAlevey: I’m obviously referring to the Nader groups that grew up in the 1970s. When I say advocacy might be good for [mandating] seat belts and banning dangerous items that kids can eat, that’s great—advocacy can do that. It’s legal advocacy, lawsuits; it doesn’t even pretend to engage ordinary people.

The Nation: What’s your critique of advocacy?

McAlevey: That it can’t win any serious fight. It can win a small gain. There’s a role for advocacy, there’s a role for mobilizing, and there’s a role for organizing. There’s even a role for charity. When immigrants come into this country, someone handing them a place to live for the first year and a bunch of clothing for kids who have just come from a war-torn region—that’s straight-up charity. But we’re not making change on that. Advocacy, there’s a role for it, sure… someone wants to build a dam or jam up something, and there’s no possible way to win [against it], so people launch a lawsuit. Great.

There’s even a role for mobilizing. It’s just that the key argument I’m making in the book [is that] to win the hardest fights—like to win a presidential race, to reclaim the United States of America at the statehouse level, to actually tame global capital—we cannot rely on advocacy and mobilizing to do it, because they surrender the most important and only weapon that ordinary people have ever had, which is large numbers.

People think when they go out to a protest, “Hey, that’s large numbers.” I went to Occupy—wasn’t that a lot of people? That’s what we all think.

Question one: What people were there? Question two: Did we do a power analysis that told us what it would take to actually occupy Wall Street in a significant way?

It isn’t just “Can we get some people to a rally?” It’s who are we getting to a rally, it’s who got them to the rally, and it’s how long can we sustain the rally? That’s a really, really fundamental difference. Are ordinary Americans in large numbers turning out to challenge Wall Street? Or are a handful of the most predictable, sane, wonderful, and lovely people that we see at every rally—the same ones—back on the steps of Wall Street? That’s not doing it.

Organizing is about base expansion. We have to significantly expand the base of people in this country who are standing with us, from which we then mobilize. That’s what we’ve stopped doing since about the early 1970s.

The Nation: Let’s talk about power-structure analysis.

McAlevey: We have a systematic approach to analyzing the social-structural conditions in any given region, any city, state…. I mostly think of it in the context of doing social-structure analysis in labor markets. Part of why I think union organizing is so powerful and interesting is because we see the world the same way capital does: like a series of labor markets, not just a series of cities.

What’s different about the way I think about power-structure analysis is that it’s about how capitalists and the employer class relate within areas that we can control and contest for, which are regional labor markets. What the traditional union movement does is, when they’re doing a corporate-campaign analysis, they’re not looking at the social-structural conditions around the em­ployer. They’re just analyzing supply, root supplier, supply chain, pension funds, investor funds, hedge funds….

The Nation: Presumably you look at all that, too.
McAlevey: We do. But the point is, they’re not doing a social-structure analysis to figure out how you bring the community over. I’m arguing we can win by cracking the power of the employer in labor markets, by doing a social-structure analysis of who they’re connected to and how they sustain themselves in regional markets. Who are all the workers that we have, who in the community are they connected to, what churches do they attend—or synagogues, or whatever it is?

Using power-structure analysis the way I think of it, mapping the ordinary relationships of thousands of workers automatically begins to re-expand into the broader community a sort of renewed love for unions and the role they play in our communities. That will change the union-household vote in important elections.

Also small bonus drop is a red state democrat's take on the democractic messaging problem.

An Open Letter to the Kentucky Democratic Party

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That open letter is good, except for the "justifiably felt left behind" part*.

I think that the best visible example of democrats losing touch and navel gazing is the keeping it 1600 guys, who started out with a podcast that was supposed to be "how real people talked about politics" and now essentially spend their time interviewing Seth Meyes and former Clinton aides.

* People talk a lot about white working class voters being left behind, but download the Current Population Survey data and you will see that the states that flipped from Obama to Trump include not only states that white families had income increases below the national average, like Wisconsin, but also states where white median income increased more than the national average, like NC and MI. What almost all of them have in common is that minority income increased faster than white income.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

joepinetree posted:

That open letter is good, except for the "justifiably felt left behind" part*.

I think that the best visible example of democrats losing touch and navel gazing is the keeping it 1600 guys, who started out with a podcast that was supposed to be "how real people talked about politics" and now essentially spend their time interviewing Seth Meyes and former Clinton aides.

* People talk a lot about white working class voters being left behind, but download the Current Population Survey data and you will see that the states that flipped from Obama to Trump include not only states that white families had income increases below the national average, like Wisconsin, but also states where white median income increased more than the national average, like NC and MI. What almost all of them have in common is that minority income increased faster than white income.

I don't think hard numbers really work here, since perception plays a big part of it. A lot of the "white middle class" or more specifically the White Middle Class in States Bill Won, you do have people who feel left behind, even if the overall economic outlook has improved -- they don't feel it and they don't feel a sense of mobility. There's a lot of reasons for this -- a lot of it is basically fictional headcanon about their mobility -- but it's real enough of a perception that we have to think about how to talk to them about it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think hard numbers really work here, since perception plays a big part of it. A lot of the "white middle class" or more specifically the White Middle Class in States Bill Won, you do have people who feel left behind, even if the overall economic outlook has improved -- they don't feel it and they don't feel a sense of mobility. There's a lot of reasons for this -- a lot of it is basically fictional headcanon about their mobility -- but it's real enough of a perception that we have to think about how to talk to them about it.

My problem wasn't with the "feeling left behind" part, but with the "justifiably." A lot of the perception's not from the fact that their situation had gotten worse, but that minorities were doing better.

http://www.epi.org/publication/stat...-to-lag-behind/

Ohio and Michigan white voters may have felt left behind, but the white unemployment rates for both states in 2016 were actually lower than their pre-2008 crisis levels, and in the case of Michigan substantially so. It's just that in those two states minorities saw an even bigger drop in their unemployment rates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

My problem wasn't with the "feeling left behind" part, but with the "justifiably." A lot of the perception's not from the fact that their situation had gotten worse, but that minorities were doing better.

http://www.epi.org/publication/stat...-to-lag-behind/

Ohio and Michigan white voters may have felt left behind, but the white unemployment rates for both states in 2016 were actually lower than their pre-2008 crisis levels, and in the case of Michigan substantially so. It's just that in those two states minorities saw an even bigger drop in their unemployment rates.

I mean it's justifiable in the sense that the democratic left has failed to come up with a vocabulary to talk to them without giving into racism.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Exactly. That's why it's such a mistake to view this election in strictly economic terms, because humans don't view their world and they don't make decisions in economic terms. They do it on gutfeel. They choose how to vote by asking, on some level, do I feel better or do I feel worse after 4 years of this administration. And "better or worse" is always in relation to someone else, usually a member of the outgroup. It's why people are more likely to agree with Tea Party rhetoric if they see economic data suggesting a rise in quality of life for minorities, even if that data shows their own quality of life as stable. Comparison is what matters.

I'm not sure what the answer to this is, but I suspect it's going to be more effective to try to change how people view their in-group than to pass an economic stimulus package.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean it's justifiable in the sense that the democratic left has failed to come up with a vocabulary to talk to them without giving into racism.

Justifiable in the sense of "democrats have to do a better job of messaging to them?" Ok. Justifiable in the sense of "white voters have actually been left behind?" no

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Justifiable in the sense of "democrats have to do a better job of messaging to them?" Ok. Justifiable in the sense of "white voters have actually been left behind?" no

The danger is defining white voters as homogeneous. Assholes in Wisconsin and Ohio are a lot different from people in Rural Appalachia, tbf.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Angry_Ed posted:

Anyway...I don't really know what I can do to help. I live in Massachusetts which at times seems so Blue that even our Republicans aren't all that terrible (which I know is not true but I'm being hyperbolic here). I can write to my senators and representatives of course but I want to do more. I don't have a lot of money, I don't have a lot of time (still need to work unfortunately), and the town I live in is small so even on a local level I can't affect much. Does anybody know of any New England-based or even nationally based progressive groups I could try getting involved in?
Like this, but in Richmond, Virginia and wanting to get involved. Don't have much money, don't have a ton of time, but wondering how I can get the most bang for the buck in making the world a little less of a shithole. Should I just cold-call (email) the Henrico county Democratic party and offer to help, or is there some smarter, more effective way to spend my time?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

jackpot posted:

Like this, but in Richmond, Virginia and wanting to get involved. Don't have much money, don't have a ton of time, but wondering how I can get the most bang for the buck in making the world a little less of a shithole. Should I just cold-call (email) the Henrico county Democratic party and offer to help, or is there some smarter, more effective way to spend my time?

You can do that, but also in like, Richmond you have lot of good nonprofits involved in all kinds of advocacy work.

Richmond's United Way has web portal for finding volunteer service here: http://www.handsonrva.org/

Should also have a local chapter of PP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Veyrall posted:

This is...a very good point. Is there some way we can prioritize recruiting within the families of the military and the police? I think police and military personnel themselves might be contractually forbidden from protesting, but their families would be under no such restriction and could form a useful front line for discouraging police violence against demonstrations and protests.

Also, in regards to the violence/non-violence angle, exactly what do the American pro-violence people think we can accomplish against the most heavily armed, technically advanced, and casually brutal military force in the world? Or one of the most heavily armed, technically advanced, and vehemently militaristic police forces on the planet? They. Will. Annihilate. Us. If. We. Get. Violent. What've we got? Rocks, spray-paint, maybe some gasoline in a beer bottle? They have assault rifles, drones, bombs, chemical weapons that literally melt your skin, battle plans drawn up by people who kill people professionally, and nukes.

Going the path of violence is going to be an excellent way to serve up America on a platter to Bannon and the Republican regime.

This is all theoretically speaking, I don't quite consider myself a pacifist, nor a historian, but I'm almost one.

Isn't the entire idea behind guerrilla warfare turning your enemies strengths into weakness? For example, Uncle Ho was able to continually harass the French in Indochina until he completely annihilated them at dien bien phu. Castro was able to take over the entire island starting with what? 20 soldiers? Carlos the Jackal raided OPEC', took hostages, flew away in a DC-9 and got away with at least $20 million dollars for the FPLP. I haven't read Che's book on guerrilla warfare, but it seems that a dedicated volunteer army almost always wins against a professional/conscript army, no matter the size (barring outside intervention). Besides, if another revolutionary war were to erupt in the US (God forbid), How many Soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Sailors are really going to be able to pull the trigger against their own countrymen, family members, friends, etc.?

I don't know, I just hope and pray it never comes down to it

• Locked thread