Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

If I never see the phrase ludonarrative dissonance again I will have lived a fantastic life.

What else would you call it from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is Extremely Problematic that Nathan Drake never endorses the ethically superior vegan lifestyle

moreover, the deaths caused by their gun battles will pale in comparison to the deaths caused by Sam and Sully's thoughtless promotion of smoking

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 11, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Really Pants posted:

it is Extremely Problematic that Nathan Drake never endorses the ethically superior vegan lifestyle

in addition, the deaths caused by their gun battles will pale in comparison to the deaths caused by Sam and Sully's thoughtless promotion of smoking

This sort of "it's just a video game dude lol don't take it so seriously" argument only worked when the game wasn't taking itself too seriously. I'd be one of the first people to say "who cares about drake murdering people" in regard to previous games because they were just action movies you play, uncharted 4 is a Character Story where even the characters don't actually care about any of the exciting adventure stuff half the time and would rather just go home. Mario doesn't have princess peach mundane kingdom management sim for an hour after you collect all the power stars and rescue her because nobody cares about the lives of video game characters when they aren't doing exciting things unless you're a self absorbed middle aged game designer who wants to make something that Matters and Has Something To Say instead of Just Entertainment.

Not to say that there is no place for media/games that have the sort of themes and tone UC4 is clearly going for, but shoehorning it into mass murder adventure power fantasy 2016 that you're being asked to make by your corporate overlords to sell product is not it. The crash bandicoot throwback shows just how little mainstream games have come in two decades when it comes to storytelling because despite all the amazing advances in motion capture and dog jowel animations the story matters exactly as little to the gameplay as the story in crash did, give or take some QTE cutscenes.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Now imagine if the entire series is Drake and Elena telling those adventures to their daughter, and she's embellishing them, or Drake is saying the fights were bigger than they were.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
or maybe they will explain to their child that life isn't black and white and they did, in fact, kill some dudes, because dudes tried to kill them. :shrug:

there is, so far as I can remember, literally no point in which Nate or Elena outright murders someone who wasn't already trying to kill them. especially in this game, you frequently have the option to just sneak/run by enemies. you could, I suppose, argue that they could just go home and not hunt treasures, but then there's no point to the series in the first place.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Secret ending: Go home and be a family man.

Which reminds me, I love Spec Ops: The Line in spite of the contempt the developers have for their own playerbase. I seem to recall that their official position was that you should buy their game, and upon seeing that the character is making choices you disagree with, you should then turn it off and not play it again, or else you're a bad person and directly responsible for everything bad that happens (in the fictional story [to fictional characters {that they wrote [and then sold to you (for money)]}]). With the amount of effort put into these setpieces, I doubt Naughty Dog is of the same opinion, and the somewhat garbled dissonance that results is just a best-effort attempt at reconciling gameplay and story.

Looking forward to your future projects, folks.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

that they could just go home and not hunt treasures, but then there's no point to the series in the first place.

Which is exactly why rubbing your nose in the fact that drake and elena have normal perfectly well adjusted lives & drake had a childhood that feels like an 80's version of the outsiders in spite of their combined bodycount being somewhere between jack the ripper and the rwandan genocide is a terrible idea.

When you introduce realism and actual pathos to the story of adventure shooting man and his merry band of quipping rogues you also invite questions like "hey, why doesn't drake have PTSD when he's personally killed more people in gunfights and had more grenades explode in his face than entire units did in ww2?"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Psychological therapy in the Uncharted world is a hundred years more advanced than our own.

In fact, several fields of study are leaps and bounds beyond our real-world progress. See also pirate engineering, or the biomedical science of several ancient civilizations. It's a shame bridge-building never caught up; I mean, even the dive salvage intro to the game involved an accident with a bridge, I imagine the entire field is just some huge knowledge gap in that world.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Nate's death count doesn't even touch most JRPGs and I don't see anyone talking about Zidane's PTSD

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

Nate's death count doesn't even touch most JRPGs and I don't see anyone talking about Zidane's PTSD

Well those are monsters and very rarely ever just dogs or whatever counts for pets in said fantasy universe.

Now, if you're playing a JRPG and 95% of the enemies are people then that could work. But the only place that counts for a high human body count I can think of is Fire Emblem or, something that isn't even a JRPG, Dynasty Warriors. Uncharted is unique in featuring something of an everyman just gunning down enemies like Serious Sam.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Secret ending: Go home and be a family man.

Which reminds me, I love Spec Ops: The Line in spite of the contempt the developers have for their own playerbase. I seem to recall that their official position was that you should buy their game, and upon seeing that the character is making choices you disagree with, you should then turn it off and not play it again, or else you're a bad person and directly responsible for everything bad that happens (in the fictional story [to fictional characters {that they wrote [and then sold to you (for money)]}]). With the amount of effort put into these setpieces, I doubt Naughty Dog is of the same opinion, and the somewhat garbled dissonance that results is just a best-effort attempt at reconciling gameplay and story.

Looking forward to your future projects, folks.

?????

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

change all "shoot" or "kill" references in UC to "defeat" and/or "power of friendship," add damage numbers above pirate & merc heads, problem solved

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Zidane is a combined monkey king/shakespeare reference who lives in a world where people can look like this without anyone raising an eyebrow

She actually looks even more ridiculous in game. You're less likely to poke holes in a cartoony world like this than you are in a photo realistic ultra HD one like uncharted 4. If you don't understand this I can't help you.

Even then this is still a bad argument because large parts of FF9 ARE spent on characters like zidane or vivi (who is essentially a goth muppet) angsting about literally being killing machines & trying to have a normal life in spite of it. Meanwhile drake just kills lots of people and never stops to think about it when he goes on to live what by all means is set in the human world where he does normal human things with his normal human family like play crash bandicoot without ever reflecting on it once.

Which once again was totally fine before because drake wasn't a character that reflected on anything, but in this game large parts of the story are about him, where he came from what he's doing now and why as well as his relationship with his family so it feels weird to conveniently skip over this large part of what drake does when he has a magnifying glass on everything else.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 11, 2017

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
You're taking the gunfights very literally for a game in which being shot in-game means literally almost nothing. I thought we cleared this up back in UC2 - gameplay mechanics are what Naughty Dog uses to get the public to pay for their Indiana Jones games, those mechanics are not 100% correlated with the story they're actually trying to tell.

Yes, it would be nice if they had realised from the start that they should give Drake Luck instead of Health (i.e. you get closer and closer to actually being shot, not shot and healed and shot and healed and shot and healed like a regenerator), and if most enemies you 'killed' sort of rolled on the floor moaning in pain instead of being Super Dead With Orphans You Monster, but they didn't think of that at the time or couldn't figure out how to make it work. Give them a break - they got literally almost every other detail in the game perfect, and it's okay for a game to not be a papal edict.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

so many words spilled because a character acknowledged the existence of a gun holster in the final cutscene

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wonder what the total would be if some enterprising soul (ie not me) went back through all of C&Is Uncharted LPs and totaled up the number of people killed by Nate and company would look like.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for showing us this game. The ending was really satisfying; it's nice to see a series that actually gives some thought into its epilogue.

Really good work, and I'm looking forwards to your next LP, whatever it is.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I thought it was obvious from the start that Drake has been shooting rubber bullets and throwing fake grenades since no one bleeds when they get shot and grenades just make enemies fly up in the air.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Given the context and the picture there, I'm pretty sure that's meant in a sarcastic way of "Oh, it's okay, it's just a GAME, right?? It's not YOU being a bad person!" :smug:

There's another one more towards a strictly, blatantly negative sentiment:

And another saying "Do you feel like a hero yet?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

so many words spilled because a character acknowledged the existence of a gun holster in the final cutscene

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shady Amish Terror posted:

This is stupid. If anything, Spec Ops: The Line's creators have more contempt for the genre, how it has trained / influenced players psychically, and how it stands in the overall culture. Of course, some gamers didn't like how the game made them feel and obviously that means that the developers hate them and want to make them feel bad. Most players who play shooters don't give a crap about the choices they make to either agree or disagree. The assumption is that you're fighting for a good cause against bad people, and know enough about the overall situation to comfortably shoot, kill, and move on without question.

No matter what gamers believe, games are culture, and culture influences how we think and how we act in the real world. You don't think that CoD's masturbatory celebration of the military-industrial complex and military adventurism, plus the vilification of foreign states and cultures (Russia, Arabs, Iran, China etc.), works to undermine discourse on the real harm that American militarism and the "us vs. them" mentality has wrought on real people? The "it's just a game lol" excuse falls flat because of the high degree of fidelity military shooters have to real life.

Spec Ops made gamers realise that they disagreed with the choices Walker made (under their control) and it deflated the badass operator power fantasy that shooters are built on. That should've made them think about the times they took the same approach in every other shooter with the narrative sucking them off, which would've destroyed the lame "but the game made me do it" excuse. War and combat are nothing glorious, and I don't know, maybe the fact that many games presenting the battlefield as a fun playhouse in which to carry out one's power fantasy might be harmful?

This makes the point better than my rant. You are not a bad person, you should just think more about the media you consume.

Shinjobi posted:

If I never see the phrase ludonarrative dissonance again I will have lived a fantastic life.

It's a good and useful word that makes me feel smart when i'm spergin over video games.

darealkooky posted:

This sort of "it's just a video game dude lol don't take it so seriously" argument only worked when the game wasn't taking itself too seriously. I'd be one of the first people to say "who cares about drake murdering people" in regard to previous games because they were just action movies you play, uncharted 4 is a Character Story where even the characters don't actually care about any of the exciting adventure stuff half the time and would rather just go home. Mario doesn't have princess peach mundane kingdom management sim for an hour after you collect all the power stars and rescue her because nobody cares about the lives of video game characters when they aren't doing exciting things unless you're a self absorbed middle aged game designer who wants to make something that Matters and Has Something To Say instead of Just Entertainment.

I think it was more the writers wanted realistic characters that gamers would connect with and cared enough about the characters to jerk them off with a saccharine ending. Which is where they hosed up, I think, by placing their characters in a split-reality of gameplay and narrative with little verisimilitude between the two they showed that didn't care about the players as they did about their characters. And that sucks because if you want the players to give a poo poo about what the character story, perhaps distancing the player from it isn't that great for that?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

it's cool to care about things, especially media.

How many millions of dollars were spent on this game's development of ultra HD jowels and marketing that could've gone towards helping the vulnerable peoples of the world? (like say, south africans that have to turn to being mercenaries that get thrown off cliffs by drake because they have no other way to make ends met) to say that you shouldn't be able to hold them to some sort of standard is foolish, as is shaming others for doing so even if you personally don't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Elena: No, Nate, the relentless mercenary death trucks were in Madagascar, not Tibet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spec Ops: the Line is good, but this isn't really the place to talk about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I post about video games because I am Extremely Woke

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Drake should have used rubber bullets and attached hot-air balloons to every enemy so Sully could pick them up later.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZiegeDame posted:

Drake should have used rubber bullets and attached hot-air balloons to every enemy so Sully could pick them up later.

Sully: You're extracting him? Goddamn, Nate, his highest rank is D in Medicine!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

darealkooky posted:

it's cool to care about things, especially media.

How many millions of dollars were spent on this game's development of ultra HD jowels and marketing that could've gone towards helping the vulnerable peoples of the world? (like say, south africans that have to turn to being mercenaries that get thrown off cliffs by drake because they have no other way to make ends met) to say that you shouldn't be able to hold them to some sort of standard is foolish, as is shaming others for doing so even if you personally don't.

jesus christ, you're really going to use the 'starving children in africa' cudgel over this? get some perspective friend

to act like it all comes apart in the very last cutscene in the game because the kid says "is that a gun holster" is an absurd blindness to something that's been a recurring structural tension that people have been gnashing teeth over since the first game came out
and like, it's not some last minute breaking of the ~gameplay/cutscene divide~ for a character to acknowledge the existence of guns, that is not equivalent to acknowledging drake murdering hundreds of people

is uncharted 4 some work of fine art beyond reproach? hell no. it's a middling to above-average third person shorter whose developer has clearly become more interested in character based story-telling as the series has progressed. but they've remained entrapped by or otherwise beholden to it's mechanical roots and gameplay expectations
this was never something that series was going to resolve in the final act of the final game, it's fundamentally not an issue solvable within the confines of the uncharted series while remaining uncharted imo. if you're either unable or unwilling to handle that cognitive dissonance, then these games were never going to leave you with a satisfactory feeling but god help you if it took four times around to figure that out

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is it ever possible that Naughty Dog can make a game with decent plot and characterization, and not make it a shooting game? Or are the pressures of the video game industry such that they would never be able to make a game with the budget they're now accustomed to without the shootyman element?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought it was from the first game

It's the image from the first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

There's obviously a lot of death and mayhem in the games that you design and in the game world generally. Do you feel that it's important that in that world where there's a lot of shooting and a lot of death that the story have some sort of moral compass?

Moral compass is hard. I think the story has to be honest to what you as a writer believe in. Ultimately, "The Last Of Us" with all of its violence, comes from a very deep place where I believe in all of Joel's actions. And I think -- I don't know because I don't live in a post-apocalyptic world -- that I would take similar actions to Joel if faced with those same decisions. Some of the questions about violence and whether the violence is justified in the story also depends on the kind of story that you're telling. With "The Last Of US" where violence has the same weight as the real world, that violence is very different from a pulp action game like "Uncharted" where the violence is more cartoony and more stylized. It's a stylized reality with clear good guys and clear bad guys.

quote:

why do you think even when you're challenging conventions we're still running around shooting guns?

I think people are drawn to conflict. I think great stories are told with conflict and conflict can happen on different levels. There's this existential or external conflict where your life is in danger and guns are a quick way to represent that. You say you've shot guns but you haven't necessarily shot a person but I'm sure you have heard of stories of people getting shot and you can imagine the tension that comes from that.

And then you can have personal conflict between characters and that's the stuff we're getting more into. And then internal conflict of, "Who am I as a person? Philosophically, what drives me?" And we try with our games to hit every level of conflict.

And I think that's just part of, specifically, for Uncharted and that genre, it's part of a heritage of storytelling of taken worldwide conflict and simplifying it and stylizing it -- so it doesn't have the same weight as, let's say, real world violence. The example I like to use is Indiana Jones shoots and kills people with little remorse. But you don't feel like, "Oh man, he should have post-traumatic stress disorder having just shot that guy that had that big sword in Raiders [of the Lost Ark] or having shot and killed all those Nazis and just blew them up with an RPG and then just cracked a joke with his dad."

And you just buy into it because it is part of this simplified version of reality that just kind of pokes at those conflicts versus, like, so you have those Nazis in Indiana Jones versus the Nazis in Schindler's List, which have a very different weight and a very different tone. And I kind of compared them -- not to say we're of the degree of artistry of those films, but the difference between The Last of Us and Uncharted, I think The Last of Us, despite having infected and zombie-like creatures, the weight of the violence is closer to our reality, our world, whereas in Uncharted, it's much more stylized and I hate to use this term but it just comes to mind: comic book-y.

And it is just part of the fun romp of the history of pulp action-adventure stories.

Neil Druckmann doesn't give a drat and neither should you.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
If you don't make it full of setpieces and shooting that can be put in trailers, you're not going to sell games. Uncharted has a very high budget that would generally never be used on something unless it's a very safe bet that it's going to be profitable. Making new AAA IPs is super risky even when they are genres that are currently trendy. So basically shooters and open world games. Good luck making and selling an Uncharted game where you only kill 3 people the whole game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Funky Valentine posted:

Sully: You're extracting him? Goddamn, Nate, his highest rank is D in Medicine!

Spoilers!

At least wait until the next thread. :argh:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

Spoilers!

At least wait until the next thread. :argh:

If anyone hasn't watched the Peace Walker LP by now, you should definitely fix that. I'd like to link the final glorious Co-op R&D weapon video, but I feel like that should be earned and the entire LP is still great.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

to act like it all comes apart in the very last cutscene in the game because the kid says "is that a gun holster" is an absurd blindness to something that's been a recurring structural tension that people have been gnashing teeth over since the first game came out

When did I say this? Them actually talking about drake shooting people doesn't break the tone any more than it did in UC2 when generic badman mentioned it.

I can only say the same thing so many times, so let me try one last time to word this.

Either be a power fantasy action movie but playable lots of people die and nobody cares because it's a wacky world where you can regenerate bullets and instant kill people with a stone fist and nobody cares because wow holy poo poo this entire ancient city just collapsed we have to platform on these conveniently placed handholds

OR

Be a serious look at the characters that fully goes into the psychology of why they behave the way they do, starting with them as children and having lots of people to contrast them with as they realize what's really important to them isn't this silly adventure stuff they've done before but their potential new life with their family

But don't half rear end it. By trying to be a character story about adventure shootyman but just quietly ignoring the inconvenient details to do so at best makes your writing feel really sloppy and at worst makes the characters you want your audience to relate to look like psychopaths (elena "missing the adventuring" after killing dozens of people has an awkward feel to it when you see that she has a regular home life like everyone else instead of just being sassy adventure lady). Making the characters more relatable by showing that they suck at crash bandicoot and are fed up with their somewhat unfulfilling jobs just like you the player you make the parts of them that are NOT relatable very heavily stand out.

It's "why don't they just use phoenix downs on aeris" except even more annoying because instead of magic that can have whatever arbitrary rules the writers want it's people that naughty dog wants really really hard to portray as real people in the models, writing and mocapped animations that suddenly start behaving in very unreal ways that nobody questions 5 minutes later, a sort of uncanny valley effect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They don't use Phoenix Downs on Aeris because Phoenix Downs cure being knocked out, not being dead.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://youtu.be/xb2rwMag0Ro?t=5m57s

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Neil Druckmann doesn't give a drat and neither should you.

Neil Druckmann is making an unfair comparison because none of the indy movies have a scene where he decides to become an archeologist because of his emotionally traumatic childhood and pressure from others. He just does it because he's a cool guy.

The only indy movie that takes an actual look at the character of indiana jones outside of "he's a cool guy that punches people, shoots nazis and travels around the world" in any real way is kingdom of the crystal skull, the movie everyone hated.

He's also making an unfair comparison because despite what him and many other people writing for western AAA games really want, he is not writing for film but for videogames which naturally tell stories in different ways and thus have things that can work for one medium and not another, the same way translating from book to film is not 1-1.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 12, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is nothing wrong with ignoring realism when it's convenient for the story (especially if the story is the emphasis) because, as you say, the medium straight up would not be able to function without doing so very regularly. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

There is nothing wrong with ignoring realism when it's convenient for the story (especially if the story is the emphasis) because, as you say, the medium straight up would not be able to function without doing so very regularly. :shrug:

if the devs want to emphasise the story as the underpinning of the experience, why have the players play a game that has nothing to do with that experience? they want a character story where their emotions and experience define the game, but the player is kept walled away from actually having anything to do with that lest they mess up the developers' precious story. instead we get to jump and shoot people to keep us satisfied and wait for the game to feed us more story. we are jumpy shooty man, but we are not Nathan Drake. the game gives no fucks about the story we get to make through actual play, neither does it care to actually give us a part in the story it wants us to experience.

why should we care about this character that we never really connected with, and it's not like the medium can't facilitate that sort of interaction by it's very nature.

• Locked thread